Why do people want to own cobs?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Don't tell my 16.2hh cob that she's too short please! Not sure she counts as a "proper" cob though as she has no moustache. She does have an impressive beard which she is very precious about though. And she is definitely too fat despite me clearly starving her (according to her).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Don't tell my 16.2hh cob that she's too short please! Not sure she counts as a "proper" cob though as she has no moustache. She does have an impressive beard which she is very precious about though. And she is definitely too fat despite me clearly starving her (according to her).

Definitely not a cob...probably just a fat draught - maybe try getting her a plough to pull?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Horses pretending to be cobs... whatever next?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I bought a cob on your recommendation Shils but although she has fluffy leg warmers and a long my little pony mane she doesn't have a moustache and has been know to leave hay in her haynets. Have I been conned? Also it seems she can trot.....

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I didn't say they couldn't trot, ElleSkywalker, I just said you'd wish they hadn't as it's so hideous an experience both for rider and spectator.
And probably the fat lardy cob, too.

That's the thing I got her as I can no longer rise to the trot (gammy knee). The little b*gger even managed a few strides of canter last week. I've been duped haven't I 😭

😁

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
That's the thing I got her as I can no longer rise to the trot (gammy knee). The little b*gger even managed a few strides of canter last week. I've been duped haven't I 😭

😁

This sounds like a horrible experience for both you and the cob. Can't you divorce? I'm trying to divorce my two field slobs (they call themselves 'ornamental' rather than my preferred 'useless' :mad:)

spamiad

Visit site
I'm sure Ben hobiday has a cob, badminton, etc.

Horses for courses I think, I've had some very talented little cobs, both affiliated dressage and bsja, and could hold their own, cheap to keep, not very often sick or sorry, and they are still sane enough to leave a week and get back on.

Most of us have to work full time for a living to keep our horses, we cannot afford full livery or indoor schools, and some will have family to look after too, a good cob is worth it's weight in gold to a lot of people out there.

I've had everything from cobs, tb's, Irish sports horses ( some of those are Heinz 57 too) warmbloods, and they have all had their quirks up sides and down sides.

I lost my so called cob last year, at 6, sports horse passport green book no breeding recorded but didn't find out she was ID cross some sort of pony, cobs can be at sort of breeding and I will have one one day when my leg has healed

Super cob

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541772873090.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541772873090.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 11

Auslander

Visit site
I'm sure Ben hobiday has a cob, badminton, etc.

Horses for courses I think, I've had some very talented little cobs, both affiliated dressage and bsja, and could hold their own, cheap to keep, not very often sick or sorry, and they are still sane enough to leave a week and get back on.

Most of us have to work full time for a living to keep our horses, we cannot afford full livery or indoor schools, and some will have family to look after too, a good cob is worth it's weight in gold to a lot of people out there.

I've had everything from cobs, tb's, Irish sports horses ( some of those are Heinz 57 too) warmbloods, and they have all had their quirks up sides and down sides.

I lost my so called cob last year, at 6, sports horse passport green book no breeding recorded but didn't find out she was ID cross some sort of pony, cobs can be at sort of breeding and I will have one one day when my leg has healed

Super cob

You need to read the thread!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
A cob I had in the past leaned over the dividing wall and pulled out the folded up bath towel that the owner of the horse had been using to pad out the surcingle over the rug (see this was in the olden days :D ) and ate it. I know he had eaten it because it was missing and I found a bit of chewed towel hem in his bed. Made a change from eating his bedding I suppose.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
A cob I had in the past leaned over the dividing wall and pulled out the folded up bath towel that the owner of the horse had been using to pad out the surcingle over the rug (see this was in the olden days :D ) and ate it. I know he had eaten it because it was missing and I found a bit of chewed towel hem in his bed. Made a change from eating his bedding I suppose.

Did this 'cob' say 'Moooo' a lot? It could have been bovine...an easy mistake to make.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
I find them excellent for testing the efficiency of a new bra:D

Another reason to never venture out of walk. My boobholders just can't cope.

This sounds like a horrible experience for both you and the cob. Can't you divorce? I'm trying to divorce my two field slobs (they call themselves 'ornamental' rather than my preferred 'useless' :mad:)

I would but my Shetland really really loves her and quite frankly am terrified to unleash the wrath of something that can cheerfully take me out at the knees.......

only_me

Visit site
I would but my Shetland really really loves her and quite frankly am terrified to unleash the wrath of something that can cheerfully take me out at the knees.......

Please god don’t put a Shetland with a cob - they’d team up to take over the world and eat the years worth of hay in one go.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My cob is frightened of shetlands. Good job he was in today for vax: there were 2 escapees in the geldings’ field that the ym had to rugby tackle to take home to a private house round the corner. Mini cob demons, they would have terrorised him!