Why do people want to own cobs?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am 4 months into cob ownership and this week I tidied the tack room.

- The body protector went into the house, not used it once, even though my cob hadn't been ridden for 6 months.

- The neck straps are put away.

- Brushing boots are banished.

Also

- Not seen a farrier.

- Not multi-rugged.

- I have lost weight with all the moving soaked hay.

- Didn't need a vet, even when his hay net was late one night and he climbed the wheelbarrow as soon as I went to clean the stable.

- Didn't need a vet even when we put a strap in the doorway for when the barrow was there, and he managed to get under the strap and over the barrow in a very gymnastic manner.

- Won't need to trim the plants in the planters near the gate.

Also he has trained me to

- Bring the net before skipping out (see points above).

- Catch with a treat.

- Only buy heavy duty Marts Nets as the others are too easy.

- Up my standing order for the water bills, as they have doubled for soaking hay

- Purchase all manner of potions for his legs.

- Not try to skimp on lotions and potions, as when I tried virgin olive oil instead of pig oil, his fur fell out :rolleyes:

- Say 'no he is not for sale' on more than one occasion.

- Mount with a treat.

- Clip legs with a treat.

- Use a single, wizened old rose him as a treat.

- become an expert at weighing to the nearest 1/100th of a KG or watch the waistline grow.

- smile more than I thought I could whilst going through a difficult time.

- Never try to lead near grass when in a 'normal' halter.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com

- The body protector went into the house, not used it once, even though my cob hadn't been ridden for 6 months.

Also

- Not seen a farrier.

- Not multi-rugged.

- Didn't need a vet, even when his hay net was late one night and he climbed the wheelbarrow as soon as I went to clean the stable.

- Didn't need a vet even when we put a strap in the doorway for when the barrow was there, and he managed to get under the strap and over the barrow in a very gymnastic manner.

- Catch with a treat.

- Up my standing order for the water bills, as they have doubled for soaking hay

- Not try to skimp on lotions and potions, as when I tried virgin olive oil instead of pig oil, his fur fell out :rolleyes:

- Mount with a treat.

- become an expert at weighing to the nearest 1/100th of a KG or watch the waistline grow.

Love it ?

muddybay

Visit site
Cobs are some of the most versatile horses by nature at amateur level if you're competing at a lower level you don't need a high strung horse! Why wouldn't you get something that can jump 1m but doesn't have a spooky temprament!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Post Brexit cobs can be used to dispose of unsaleable fish.

Also

- Not seen a farrier.

- Not multi-rugged.

- Catch with a treat.

- Mount with a treat.

I swear by baby oil, assiduously applied, took me about 6 months of consistent application to get rid of the mallenders/sallemders.

At least they are cheaper to own unlike TBs and warm bloods.

Tell that to my vet who was out three times, 2 sedations, 2 tubings for my cob this week. Impaction, quite probably. Not cheap.

sarahann1

Visit site
Cobs are some of the most versatile horses by nature at amateur level if you're competing at a lower level you don't need a high strung horse! Why wouldn't you get something that can jump 1m but doesn't have a spooky temprament!

“don’t have a spooky temperament”

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHA....I joined the cob owning ranks believing this myth. Oh how wrong I was to believe it, so very very wrong....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I swear by baby oil, assiduously applied, took me about 6 months of consistent application to get rid of the mallenders/sallemders.

Tell that to my vet who was out three times, 2 sedations, 2 tubings for my cob this week. Impaction, quite probably. Not cheap.

I liked the first part, not the second. Hope all is well now.

muddybay

Visit site
“don’t have a spooky temperament”

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHA....I joined the cob owning ranks believing this myth. Oh how wrong I was to believe it, so very very wrong....
The ones I know aren't but to be fair I would be the first to say I don't have the most experience apparently welshies count and they're some of the most high strung horses!

blitznbobs

Visit site
The ones I know aren't but to be fair I would be the first to say I don't have the most experience apparently welshies count and they're some of the most high strung horses!
On this photo is the hottest, most spooky horse I’ve ever ridden and the other one is a 4 year old black Holstein mare.

Attachments

• B491FB9D-1F29-471B-8F07-41A08C7D3CF2.jpeg
    B491FB9D-1F29-471B-8F07-41A08C7D3CF2.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 10

Amun

Visit site
I know this thread is old but the OP didn't do cobs justice! ? I feel I have to speak up. I always loved big "proper" horses but the most special horse I ever met is a cob. Beautiful, with amazing personality, kind, never dirty and actually very fit and slim! If I ever have my own, I would love to have a cob similar to him ?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Mine is currently disguised as a fit dressage-diva. However, the true cob always rises to the surface :D He is currently out with a pony who had to come in for vaccinations yesterday. Pony was fetched in by owner, having been told that his cobbiness would be fine on his own. Cue total meltdown - galloping and airs above the ground :eek: Hmmm - bit too active for this (any?) cob. Of course her was fine on his own - it was the lack of food that he was complaining about. Any human should know to bring liberal offerings of forage on each and every visit to the field :D

Auslander

Visit site
I know this thread is old but the OP didn't do cobs justice! ? I feel I have to speak up. I always loved big "proper" horses but the most special horse I ever met is a cob. Beautiful, with amazing personality, kind, never dirty and actually very fit and slim! If I ever have my own, I would love to have a cob similar to him ?
You need to read more of the thread to understand it!