Why do people want to own cobs?

Spudlet

Visit site
QR - Funny thread! :D I especially love those who are outraged at one type of horse being slated, cobs, and whom then in response start to bash other types, WBs/TBs - genius! :D

But, but, but... it is a well-known fact that all TBs and WBs have one leg shorter than all the others, it is the only rational explanation for all that falling over! In fact did you know racehorses all are bred to have one leg shorter so they can gallop faster round the bends of the course? It's true you know, true as I'm riding this bike! That's also why there is always a track round the edge of an arena, it's to compensate for all the odd legs.

**nods sagely, having Enlightened the forum**

:p:D

BayJosie

Visit site
Hate these threads.

So obviously intended as a joke to rile people. Pathetic imo.

But in answer to someone who said Cobs don't do proper afflilaited competeition...

My cob does Advanced level dressage actually. AFFLIATED.

Jesus Christ. not liking one particular breed of horse is one thing but saying they should be slaughtered is a disgraceful thing to come out of the mouth of someone who is meant to be a horse lover. If I was you I'd be ashamed of myself.

Puppy

Visit site
Hmmm I did not 'bash' other breeds in my post, I stated I had always had WBs/TBs that were nutty because of my budget, NOT that all WBs/TBs are nutty. I went on to say that you cannot tar all by the same brush, and used most people's perception of TBs as an example, it was not a statement to say that I thought TBs were like that.

I am not anti any type/breed of horse - as I said, there are good and bad in EVERY strain. Was it Mark Rashid who said "a good horse is never a bad colour"? - Well, my thoughts are "A good horse is never a bad breed/type"

My post started 'QR', it was not aimed at you, I didn't even read yours. ;)

ginadrummond

Visit site
Goodness me, sorry to jump in so late but I live in Aberdeenshire and we have snow, blizzards and hail today. I have changed my dressage entry for evening dressage tomorrow as the forecast is horrendous. I will be taking my husband's hairy cob, not my gobsmackingly beautiful TB. My bet is he'll get 75% in the prelim. He doesn't often get beaten and he's wintered out really well compared to the rest. He gets ridden once a month if that and is always quiet for my very nervous novice husband.

Kub

Visit site
I guess it's each to their own but no need to offend half the forum doing it...

I love my coblet, haven't started riding him yet but I'm hoping he will be able to do a bit of everything. He has great conformation and lovely paces, as long as I train him right (with help), hoping he'll turn his hoof to anything. I like cobs because they are slightly saner, sturdier (in my opinion) and what I personally prefer. They're great for those who are nervous and then also for those that want to compete and go far, each one is different and has it's own thing going for it.

I'm not a big fan of TBs/WBs myself, but that's more for me to ride as I'm big and feel like I'll break them! My friends have them and they are lovely, but I find they do take more care and attention due to being a bit more scatty. Then again, I'm sure there are those that are totally bombproof and totally safe, and vice versa for cobs that are slightly insane lol!

I just think that an opinion is fine, but you shouldn't force it on others and you should consider other people's to be just as valid, there's no right or wrong and this is clearly just a way to peeve people off...

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Aw, that's obviously from someone who's never had a cob? I love my chunky monkey. Quite often we have to agree to disagree, but we always end up kissing and making up again.

By the way, the idea that cobs are for novices ain't always so I have to say; I know several cobs who would be a serious challenge to a professional rider!!

In my (biased) opinion if you can get the best out of a cob you can get the best out of any horse that's out there. They don't always give you an armchair ride and its not just a question of schooling it and then pressing the right buttons; you have to work blimmin hard to get the best out of a cob coz he's/she's got a mind of their own and arent afraid to disagree with you if it suits 'em.

Also they suit those of us who aren't prepared (and can't afford) to give the vet an open cheque with plenty of room in front of the decimal point!! (TB & WB owners always seem to be having to get the vet out!!).

Vizslak

Visit site
I don't understand why people are getting het up by a joke thread! It's funny people, a bit of banter, not an excuse for an arguement. Perhaps such banter gets lost by some in the written word, or maybe they are as serious in RL as well, I don't know!
We always have banter similar in spangle bashing threads over in AAD and no one gets worked up by them! (I do note however that several of those spangle owners are also on the pro cob side in this discussion and havn't got upset by the post at all! There is something in that! :p :D)

Natch

Visit site
Like Ester I really want Shills to clarify whether she includes D's in this Cob fiasco?!

Add me to the list awaiting clarification ;)

Tis partly true though, I have a cob because I would be terrified of a TB or warmblood :) :) and happy to admit it! :D

Oh dear, didn't you read the manual on welsh Ds? :p :D;)

*mentions to frank we will be doing 1.50s next weekend* :)

Will you bl00dy well keep that quiet, I do NOT need my frank to start practicing thank you :mad::p

Hate these threads.

So obviously intended as a joke to rile people. Pathetic imo.

I don't understand your comment - if its so obviously intended as a joke, surely its not intended to rile people?

Vixxy

Visit site
Thanks TS :D That's just made my tea follow my elvenses all over my 'pooter :eek::rolleyes::D:D

Shils - thank you for this post, I really and truly needed a good laugh. The day may yet go down the pan and join the others of late, but for five minutes you and others have made me laugh :D :D :D

And for the record: I'm a fully paid up Cob owning Warmblood owning member of the equine world. And a Gold member of the BHS :D :D :D

Oh dear, off to clean up the pooter :cool::rolleyes::D

I had to laugh at that one ;)

Mollymillymoo

Visit site
This is an odd thread... To those of you insisting it is a joke - I don't really understand what is amusing about it? Could you explain? From what I've read you lot are just being plain harsh about other peoples horses and making ok by putting a smily face at the end and saying it's 'tongue in cheek'...? :s

Baiting people over their animals is horrible(of course they are going to get riled!!) and that is what you are doing. Grow up and don't be so bloody unpleasant - how old are you?

glitterfuzz

Visit site
Have to completely disagree with that statement! Does anyone remember Reesh? He was a GRADE A WELSH SECTION D! Admittedly he was the only one in the world during his time but he was a cob all the same. He easily jumped around 1.50m courses and successfully did so for a number of years. He’s still alive and kicking at the age of 24 :D And is definately hairy right now!

Im talking about your big fat hairy gypsy cob, not a welsh section D, welsh section D = a proper breed, not a black and white hairy beast with bin lid feet and a belly near its knees!

I find them ugly, I dont care what they can do or if you own one. I dont like the way they look. I also cant stand the look of Pugs os siamese cats!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
(I do note however that several of those spangle owners are also on the pro cob side in this discussion and havn't got upset by the post at all! There is something in that! :p :D)

That's because if you don't have a sense of humour and are unfortunate to own both a Cob AND a Spaniel (who would be THAT masochistic!! ;)) you will be sectioned sooner or later :D :D

trendybraincell

Visit site
Im talking about your big fat hairy gypsy cob, not a welsh section D, welsh section D = a proper breed, not a black and white hairy beast with bin lid feet and a belly near its knees!

:D:D Ah I'm so pleased someone else has removed Ds from the "cob" label, not that I have anything against Cobs :p

Besides the Welsh Cob has dinner plate feet not bin lids :D:D

abercrombie&titch

Visit site
in the spirit in which I have taken this... I have a cob so I can wedge myself between his wonderfully fat arse, and his 'please put your arms round me thelwell style' neck, and continue to learn to ride (half pass at the moment!!!)... besides which ... I don't like pedestals, I'm afraid of heights... and i like to ride something which has a bigger bum than me!!!!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
not a black and white hairy beast with bin lid feet and a belly near its knees!

Like this one....

37792.82970.file.eng.Olivia-Haddow-s-4-cob-Patris-Filius-enjoys-the-snow-.350.257.jpg

3675.18574.mainImage.jpg

I know you don't care what they can do, just thought I would post an actual cob that has done fairly well at Affiliated Competition, I heard Badminton was a fairly decent track anyway :D

But I also appreciate they are few and far between! My 'Cob' (well, at 17hh is he still a cob?) has only winning at a local ODE to write home about, you might have heard of the place actually... ;) :D :D

Last edited:

zefragile

Visit site
QR - Funny thread! :D I especially love those who are outraged at one type of horse being slated, cobs, and whom then in response start to bash other types, WBs/TBs - genius! :D
Inevitable on threads like this. It's like the "who said cobs can't jump?" threads which always go on to bash WBs/TBs.

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
probably, i get the feeling this is a regular occurance:D and i have not bashed any other breeds, as i care about not hurting other peoples feelings, and wacking a smily on the end to make it ok:D

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
i am having to make a very hard descion about my cob, as she is not a novice nervous ride and she needs someone expierienced to carry on her education:( she is the most sweettempered mare i have ever met and has so much ability and talent. and clearlyis only useful for leadrein rides:D

Achinghips

Visit site
I can't let this one pass. See my post on the breeding forum http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=356750
Heres my hairy stallion pulling a "cart" please note off the ground movement,
IMGB13313VF1.jpg

and heres a pic of his 2 year old Welsh cob son "playing"
DSC_5454.jpg

and yet Andrew Gould has ridden him, and said he'd do really well affiliated dressage. He's also jumped clear at the Royal International Horse Show. Its the size that limits to what level they can perform at, and the cob crosses can go right to the top.
OK Rant over!!

Absolute stunners!!!!!!!!!!!

rara007

Visit site
I love this thread. So funny in so many places. A particular highlight being all the people saying how naughty and unsuitable for a novice their cob is. That wouldn't be a fact I'd shout about ;) The proper competitions to prove cobs can compete, showing in cob classes....

:D

SpockkyBoy

Visit site
My cob had to be taken off the riding school becuase he was far too forward going for children!! My cob also beat all those spindley TB's/Warmbloods at his last XC event and came first being the smallest, oldest and heaviest set horse in the class.

I think that proves cobs are just as capable of doing what lighter boned horses do. Just because it is hairer, bigger, and maybe doesn't need the maintenace a TB does, doesn't give you the right to insult it.

Mithras

Visit site
I have to say I think if you are looking for a horse to do a bit of competition on, you are making your life difficult with a cob. They are not bred for jumping, dressage, eventing, etc -sure some of them will do it but their conformation generally does not assist them. I've come up against it with my mare - she has only a quarter very hairy cob in her (I've seen her granddam) and the rest is ID and Dutch Warmblood (Animo) but the cob breeding in her holds her back. Her action is slightly too choppy, her hocks are slightly too upright and she is very, very slow. On the plus side, she has an incredibly sensible nature but she is nappy and lazy. And boy is she hairy. I have to clip her every month in summer just to keep her from overheating when working - and I'm in Scotland! I have to clip her fetlocks every fortnight, along with various other bits, just to keep her respectable looking. She has jumped to Newcomers level but I've recently sold her as a hunter as she struggles with it, and I'm pretty sure its the cob conformation and breeding in her. Even as a hunter, she does all right in Scotland where you generally don't get long, flattish runs but in a real galloping country, she would be left behind. She's also spooky and not particularly forward going. Basically, you can really tell that theres a bit of cold blood in her and that it holds her back, competition wise.

That said, as a general riding horse, the cob cross in her works beautifully. There are so many overbred half useless warmbloods and TBs around and cobs certainly have their place - in fact they have many, many places! Not my choice as a riding horse, but they suit plenty of others. However, I now have a huge German warmblood for BSJA.