Why do people want to own cobs?

Miss B

New User
Visit site
Why wouldn't we? My Normandy cob has won dressage classes (even with her stumpy legs) and is jumping British Novice.
I love the faces of other riders when we are in the collecting ring. They immediately have discounted us as any kind of competition and then get a bit of a shock.
Cobs may not be everyone's cup of tea, and i'm pretty sure that the initial post was written to provoke 102 pages of responses, but I have found them to be honest, willing, hardworking and perfect for me.
I love ALL horses, but choose to ride a stumpy legged, barrel bellied cob, with the most amazing personality. :D

MeganLindsx

Visit site
Sorry I forgot to include that it came fourth at Badminton this year. Its going quite downhill as it won it last year with record xc times..

(I have to add I'm quite simple and wit isn't what it used to be! :p)

Spellbound13

Visit site
You bored?!

1) They do not cost ££££ to feed. In fact you can leave them in a bare field and they are better off for it.
2) They don't seem to give 2 hoots about all the flies, no lumps, bumps or diva moments
3) when they get a whopping great kick that would have a wussy sporthorse pumped full of AB's and bute and waving a sick note, the PP's just need a quick hose and back to work good as new
4) They appear to have excellent 4WD, offroading on a PP is more fun than I ever imagined

I couldnt agree more

Abz88

Visit site
Used to ride ex-racer loads, help re-train them, loaned an ex-racer for ages and to be honest, always have much much more fun on a cob! Mine is a Welsh Sec D who has much more ellegant and beautiful stride than any racer I've ridden. She is FAST and eager - in no way lazy and she make me feel much much safer than the racers. Cobs are proper horses, it's only in the last few hundred years that people wanted poncy horses - things so highly breed they cant survive a winter without 5 rugs! I like looking forward and being able to see a solid neck and shoulders in front of me, rather than a thin meager neck and shoulders.

Good experience of all types of horse, cobs and heavies are best hands and hooves down.

And I love my mare's 'beard'....makes me feel better about mine

RedRum13

Visit site
Because people pick their horses not on their breed but on their suitability and temperament. I hve welshys and TBs... would let anyone ride the TB but my welshy is none as "dangerous" but hes just misunderstood really. Sooo I think your idea of cobs may be slightly disorientated to be honest lol

DottyConnection

Visit site
See until I brought my hairy hunting pony I would have agreed with this. 2 years ago he was fat, hairy and pretty undesirable but my god he could jump and would hunt all day long. Since then he has turned his hand to BSJA to newcomers, ran two BE90s only having faults xc because I'm a wimp, affiliated dressage on a ticket being placed in his first ever elementary whilst still taking my mum out hunting safely all day and jump whatever she fancies!

Our aim for this year is workers. He is far more consistent and reliable than my beautifully bred warmblood and certainly probably worth more nowadays!

Anybody who writes like this is narrow minded and quite frankly just rude. If you want to ride a proper horse, come and ride my cob!

Mrs B

Visit site
Who cares if its a cob, a warmblood, a TB or a shetland! Some of your comments seems very shallow! Horses are beautiful sentient beings and you should be proud of whatever you have! Lets hope the person who posted such a petty post is 6ft tall n size 8!!!! :confused:

Nope. Daemons are small and have hair on the bits that aren't scaly...;)

Mrs B

Visit site
sentient [ˈsɛntɪənt]
adj
having the power of sense perception or sensation; conscious
n
Rare a sentient person or thing
[from Latin sentiēns feeling, from sentīre to perceive]

Errr...:confused: I am aware of the meaning of sentient, ta! The daemon I was referring to is the OP :)