Why does everyone seem to have a flash bridle?

alainax

Visit site
And a FYI - you can turn a snaffle bridle into a double bridle very simply by purchasing a headslip and an extra pair of reins. I don't think I've ever bought a double bridle as such (and I ride in one every day).

Yes I have done that in the past :) I was just being persnickety about wanting a particular bridle, single without a flash loop. I convinced myself it was an added bonus that it will be convertible when the time comes ( as long as I don't lose the cheek pieces!) this is the bridle, on my horse as a single, and advert pic as a double. :)

IMG_9076_zpslmdg2ca9.jpg

bride-muserolle-large.jpg

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
alainax..... your horse has such a gloriously beautiful fine head. I love the browband and the cheekpieces but I think a finer noseband would show that gorgeous head off more..... put me back in place, I expect you to but I just wanted to say <3

alainax

Visit site
alainax..... your horse has such a gloriously beautiful fine head. I love the browband and the cheekpieces but I think a finer noseband would show that gorgeous head off more..... put me back in place, I expect you to but I just wanted to say <3

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts :) I never thought of it that way but now you mention it. I guess this is another fashion thing, especially in dresssage, overly thick padded nosebands. I went right off the ones with the white piping even though that's the "thing" , as I felt they were too fussy/ blingy on his face. Maybe I'll take a look at some finer nosebands too :)

rachk89

Visit site

Agreed. Very pretty horses but both would suit a thinner noseband more. I had the same issue with my horse recently and I got a thinner bridle from eBay for £33. Got a larger browband as he needs an xfull one so bridle in total was about £50. Was a normal cavesson bridle too so you don't need to pay a lot for a standard bridle. He looks rather handsome now or at least I think so I am biased obviously. :)

tallyho!

Visit site
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts :) I never thought of it that way but now you mention it. I guess this is another fashion thing, especially in dresssage, overly thick padded nosebands. I went right off the ones with the white piping even though that's the "thing" , as I felt they were too fussy/ blingy on his face. Maybe I'll take a look at some finer nosebands too :)

glad to see a happy smiley! Thought you might have said mind your own business :)... I see it too in dressage and so many a fine headed horses' profile is, imho, taken away by the "fashion"... I think they are good at covering up flaws but since your horse (and the one below) has none, it would be nice to see what a fine head looks like :)

Achinghips

Visit site
Because it's cheaper and has quicker results to buy a flash, than find a good riding instructor who can show you how to engage your horse properly with your entire body and not just your hands.

Kat

Visit site
This "flashes are everywhere" thing seems to be online only. Of almost 30 horses on my yard only one wears a flash. I don't see that many out and about either.....

DragonSlayer

Visit site
None of my horses have them. A mare came with one years ago but I soon realised it wasn't needed. If I can't find a make of bridle I want without one, I just buy that then source the cavesson noseband elsewhere. :)

SarahWeston

Visit site
Both of the horse above though, are in crank nosebands albeit that I can see they are not tight. I think we are being sold 'kind' bridles with padded poll and shaped browbands but nosebands that are designed to keep the mouth shut in one way or another. Love the comments about moving hands up and down rather than pulling, we seemed to have got into a position where stillness is defined as keeping the arms rigid when they should actually be mobile from the shoulders. Anyway, don't ask me, my horse doesn't wear a noseband but as he is on six months field rest my opinion really doesn't count.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes I have done that in the past :) I was just being persnickety about wanting a particular bridle, single without a flash loop. I convinced myself it was an added bonus that it will be convertible when the time comes ( as long as I don't lose the cheek pieces!) this is the bridle, on my horse as a single, and advert pic as a double. :)

IMG_9076_zpslmdg2ca9.jpg

Alainax - hopefully you'll see this ;) LOVE your bridle (and your horse) I have been looking for a fine double bridle for my cob and this looks really neat on the head. Just wondered about the construction of it - is there a separate hanger that you've taken off?

This "flashes are everywhere" thing seems to be online only. Of almost 30 horses on my yard only one wears a flash.

^^ this is my experience too, tbh. I had to pop one on YOs horse when I rode it for her while she was on hols, to stop the worst of his gobbing while he learnt some new stuff. Had a bit of a job finding a flash strap. I tend to buy my bridles in parts anyway, so I choose what I want :)

Though I don't have a problem with what anyone uses, provided it's fitted correctly and not causing discomfort to the horse. Not what I choose, but it's none of my business! Not sure what is specifically so bad about a flash noseband, no one complains about the growing use of miklem bridles for example, which also have a "mouth-closing" type of noseband.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Though I don't have a problem with what anyone uses, provided it's fitted correctly and not causing discomfort to the horse. Not what I choose, but it's none of my business! Not sure what is specifically so bad about a flash noseband, no one complains about the growing use of miklem bridles for example, which also have a "mouth-closing" type of noseband.[/QUOTE]

Well precisely! Micklems are essentially buit in drop nosebands.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
no one complains about the growing use of miklem bridles for example, which also have a "mouth-closing" type of noseband.

I was looking at trying one on a horse of mine who I think is sensitive to the bridle, and I couldn't actually see why it wouldn't work just as well without the bottom strap. Does anyone use one that way?

As it is, I spilt his head piece to make it narrower just behind his ears (with the narrower side away from the ear just like the micklem, and he seems to be very happy with that.

I'm in an area where the vast majority of riders are using mouth closing nosebands. An instructor tried to tell me to use one last week and I had to point out to her that the horse's reaction to everything stressful, bitted or not, is to start foal mouthing with his tongue. It's confidence that makes him keep his mouth closed.

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
Alainax - hopefully you'll see this ;) LOVE your bridle (and your horse) I have been looking for a fine double bridle for my cob and this looks really neat on the head. Just wondered about the construction of it - is there a separate hanger that you've taken off?

Thank you :) it's hard to explain, I'll take a photo and show you lol :)

EmmasMummy

Visit site
We have started using a flash on my daughters pony. It is not done up to the point he cannot open his mouth. We use it to help stabilise the bit in his mouth as despite being fitted correctly, his teeth being checked, and my daughter having quiet hands he doesn't like it moving. Bitless is not an option. He is in that with a wilkie and is so much happier and keen in his work.

I used to use a drop on my old cob as he would snatch the bit when we were jumping and rather than use a stronger bit I opted for the noseband.

Really if we are against the flash to keep the mouth shut, we should be against the bit in the mouth at all. It is not always what you use, but how you use it.

ycbm

Visit site
Really if we are against the flash to keep the mouth shut, we should be against the bit in the mouth at all. It is not always what you use, but how you use it.

I don't agree with this. I have a horse at the moment who will open his mouth constantly with my friend riding him and he does not do it with me. She looks like a lovely rider and it's only if you analyse her really closely you realise that she is not sat still in harmony with the horse, she is sat still rigid, and he hates it even though she weighs only two thirds what I do. People who have seen her riding him and not me have told me firmly that the horse needs a noseband to stop him opening his mouth. That would simply stop a horse who is trying to communicate from communicating, and I see plenty of horses around gritting their teeth and testing their noseband to the limit if there is any give in them.

I am not against all use of dropped nosebands and I use one myself in competition to prevent an accidental loss of marks if the horse choose the wrong moment to open his mouth, and just in case the judge subconsciously thinks the horse looks odd without one when every other competitor has one.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
I used a flash on my mare, she hated it. I used it because she got her tongue over the bit (all checks done, no discomfort).

I put her into a drop, correctly fitted and she loved it, seems to have stabilised the bit in her mouth. Now she is in a crank from Evison Equine, beautiful bridle and the noseband even on the tightest setting doesn't actually do up tight enough to do anything.

As long as it is correctly fitted and used correctly I'm not bothered what other people do with their horses.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I think British horses for one country are really lucky that we worry so much about which nose band or bit we use, and comfort and whether it is a flash - drop - or kineton noseband. Is really down to the individual horse and rider.

I went down to meet Heather again {GHADT} with a car load of head collars, tiny bits (4 inch) girths etc, donated for the Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust and she told me there are still many many cruel bits ( which I knew) but she showed me some of the pictures of bits they have. Which makes all this about nose bands seem really trivial, we all have different opinions and likes in horses equipment saddles, bridles,bits. No horse will ever go the same as another and needs tack which is suitable for that individual, and many start in flash and move onto others.

Most likely most members here who use them thought best not to comment as they knew how tables turn on threads like this.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Most likely most members here who use them thought best not to comment as they knew how tables turn on threads like this.

ive admitted to using one, and not been jumped on ! But to be honest, I wouldn't care if anyone did, my horses, my choices. Id happily invite anyone to come and watch mine be ridden.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

No I think most of us have either said that they use them (when needed) or that they don't, but have no problem with people who do, if used correctly.

As I see it, the point of the post was why there are so many "flash bridles" about, and the answer seems to be that it is because they are the most commonly available to buy.

To be honest you only got a bit of flak because you wouldn't explain why you use them.

ycbm

Visit site

Don't think so. Plenty of people, including me said why they use them. And why they don't. All in a perfectly civilised manner.

I don't see why the fact that animals are abused in another country means that we shouldn't discuss tack used in this country. You only took stick because posted solely to say you weren't going to explain. I'm still puzzled why you posted at all, except to do a kind of childish 'that's for me and you to guess' poke in the eye to forum members.

I'm still waiting to see if i could learn something from why you hate grackles.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Grackles fwiw did well in the pressure testing that fairfax did to develop their bridle.
I feel vindicated by this because it's always been my preferred noseband if I need to keep a horses mouth shut , drops well fitted work well but they are very fit dependant and horse head shapes vary a lot so getting them that fit well is hitty missy.
I sometimes put a flash strap on Fatty if he's feeling bratty on exercise I do because it keep his mouth shut and then he behaves , normally he hunts and hacks in a loose cavesson .
If you hunt a flash strap in the pocket can be useful insurance if things get over exciting on a young horse or an older one you don't know .
If a bridle has a flash and it's good value it's easy to remove the strap and cut off the loop if you want the bridle to look neat .
In the huge list of less than ideal things horses endure flashes properly fitted are not high on the list .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I agree with OP.

Sorry, but...... this is one of my pet rants.

When I was a kid in PC, you'd never see them, only with professional riders on high-performance horses in disciplines such as SJ/eventing, or perhaps, if you looked hard, in the hunting field on a really forward and pully horse where it was fitted for good reason.

Now they're ubiquitous, the damn things are everywhere, you even struggle to buy a bridle without one on :(

Personally - and this is just my (biased??? ;) ) opinion; I think that the reason they have become popular is because people want a quick-fix, instead of doing the necessary work to get a horse to go in an outline and politely accept the bit, which takes time, commitment, and sheer effort to achieve. In my day, this was achieved through work in the school coupled with the sensitive use of a double bridle and the rider using his/her seat & legs to achieve a correct outline and encourage the horse to take up the contact.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally - and this is just my (biased??? ;) ) opinion; I think that the reason they have become popular is because people want a quick-fix, instead of doing the necessary work to get a horse to go in an outline and politely accept the bit, which takes time, commitment, and sheer effort to achieve. In my day, this was achieved through work in the school coupled with the sensitive use of a double bridle and the rider using his/her seat & legs to achieve a correct outline and encourage the horse to take up the contact.

If you want to do well in pretty much any equestrian sport, that time and effort is still required, flash or no flash. A faulty contact will show up elsewhere in the work even if the horse's mouth is jammed shut. I don't think it's necessary to write off a piece of tack just for that reason (jmho ;) )

windand rain

Visit site
one of the worst things to me is the cavesson being so tight the horse cannot move its jaw. I go round my pupils and ask them to loosen them. I do use a loose flash on the pocket rocket some/most of the time as she goes best in a straight bar happymouth but odd times needs the flash to give her young jockey the idea she has more brakes

Compoboots

Visit site
Everyone always has the opinion that the younger generation is lazy and isn't willing to work for anything.
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."- Socrates

If a horse isn't working properly having a flash isn't going to fix any problem expect the problem it's designed to help...
Personally don't know anyone that has ever used a flash without reason...Around here people think they're ugly, and if you have one in PC you'll be interrogated on why, same with anything like a grackle, specific bit, martingale etc.
It's not difficult to buy a bridle without a flash, and I think they're so popular simply because the option is there is you do need it.
My last horse crossed his jaw to pull and take off, so he had a flash.
My 4yo uses the same bridle without the strap, I'm hardly going to buy a whole new bridle!

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
It would be great if someone invented a computer simulator that allowed you to hold "reins" and see (through a virtual and see-through horse head ;) ) what effect different bits of nosebands have when you move your hands a certain way or increase force. Gameify it – it can light up red and have sirens go off when you're hurting the virtual horse.

I learn so much from threads like this but I also cringe about what I inflicted on al the riding school ponies of my youth...

tallyho!

Visit site

I'm afraid I don't agree... if riders were taught HOW to use each bit, it's purpose and action, there would be no misunderstanding between the hands and mouth, it would be used as intended. It's when misuse of the bit causes problems, we need to employ extra leather to compensate.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Everyone always has the opinion that the younger generation is lazy and isn't willing to work for anything.
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."- Socrates

If a horse isn't working properly having a flash isn't going to fix any problem expect the problem it's designed to help...
Personally don't know anyone that has ever used a flash without reason...Around here people think they're ugly, and if you have one in PC you'll be interrogated on why, same with anything like a grackle, specific bit, martingale etc.
It's not difficult to buy a bridle without a flash, and I think they're so popular simply because the option is there is you do need it.
My last horse crossed his jaw to pull and take off, so he had a flash.
My 4yo uses the same bridle without the strap, I'm hardly going to buy a whole new bridle!
*like button pressed*