Would you buy another horse after your current horse is Pts

Lady2021

Visit site
I probably won’t get another after my horse current horse is pts. She is still young so hopefully won’t happen for a long time.

Equi

Visit site
I’m saving up so it the plan, but it could take me a long time to find one that suits my needs and budget. Horses tend to find me though...

atropa

Visit site
This year mine are 19, 13 and 12. I was thinking about this yesterday and assuming the 19yo goes first, I think I'll be absolutely devastated and perhaps sell up. She is 100% the glue that holds my horse life together and I can't imagine anything else ever coming close to her.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I wouldn't say yes and I wouldn't say no.

When my girly (currently rising 8) finally pops her clogs, all being well she'll go on well into her early twenties or even beyond I'm hoping, by which time I'll probably be way too crockety and dilapidated to get my leg anywhere near hopping over a horse's back........

I've had her since she was a just-backed 4yo and she was bombproof then; is even better now, and hopefully she'll still be carrying me around equally safely when I'm a miserable old crotchet mizzling about "the old days".

Frankly, I don't think I'd trust another horse to be safe enough for a veteran rider (as I will be by then......). I trust my girly implicitly but wouldn't want to take on an unknown factor tbh. Think when she goes it'll be time to finally send my breeches to the charity shop......

Tarragon

Visit site
I will be 59 this year and I have two ponies, one aged 22 and one aged 16. In the back of my mind I do wonder what I should do next. I would love to think I would still be riding for another 10 years or so and I can't decide whether I should just keep going with my aging ponies (and because they are healthy native types they could still be going strong well into their 20s) or whether I have enough time to start one more youngster, which I would love to do as I have learnt so much over the last few years. Problem is, I cannot keep 3 ponies... such a dilemma!

holeymoley

Visit site
I don’t know. I wouldn’t know what to get. I’ve had mine since a baby and we know each other inside out and what we are and aren't capable of. I enjoy every aspect of horse ownership though and it’s such a main part of my life so it would be very difficult to not have one I think. But then maybe it wouldn’t be the same with another horse.

Livery yards in my area are a bit pants too so I suppose it would depend on that too.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Not sure. I'm finding winters really hard these days and my job is permanently temporary (contracts). If I get a permanent job, maybe. If not, probably no, as I find it stressful constantly thinking three years ahead!

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
Always. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have horses. Though I’ve not had one PTS yet so I can’t say how it will effect me - one of mine is retired but he’s 11 and otherwise hale and hearty so it will hopefully be a fair few years before his time. And my new mare is 7 so (touch wood) a long way away from having to think about that.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm 47 and have a rising 5 year old.

If he was fit and healthy and rideable until late teens/early twenties, I would think I'll probably be to old and crocked by then.

Having said that we have some older ladies on here that are still riding and having fun, so who knows!

In reality, in my head I see me having a little herd of Shetlands or donks when I retire from riding. Don't think I could be completely without them in my life in some way.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Yes, although as a hardy native connie pony I very much hope I have at least another 10+ years out of her.

My plan is to get a youngster in maybe 3-4 years when my current pony hits 16-17. Then I can slowly bring youngster on with no pressure and slowly ease current pony's workload. Not that I ask much of her anyway but by then I will have a young child and I'm hoping my pony can be a semi decent lead rein as I am loathe to loan/buy any children's ponies because I am soft and will never be able to pass on so will end up with a huge herd.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
When I had mine pre- retirement I'd have always said yes.
But he's retired the other side of the country and not costing me anything financially but I haven't really considered getting another- though I still have all my stuff.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am on my 4th "this is my last horse" - 2 had to be pts aged 11, for very different health reasons. One was in her late teens when I bought her and was pts aged 23 with Cushings, I had hoped she would go on longer than that but actually while she was still healthy, I bought a 2 yr old cob. I am hoping that she will make it into her late 20s at least by which tmie I will be well into my 80s so I can't see me buying another after her.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I don't think so. I'd probably just ride for other people and use the money for schoolmaster lessons.

Mine are 14 and 6 though so hopefully not going anywhere soon. Maybe will have a foal from the 6yr old at some point and that will ruin all my plans of staying away as they generally stay with me for life.

doodle

Visit site
No I won’t get another when Robin goes. It is too heart breaking. After loosing 2 in 6months I rushed into buying the replacement and bought the wrong horse as I felt if I didn’t get one soon I never would. I sold hkm and was lucky to then find Robin. Robin is 13 but we have had a difficult few months. I am still not 100% that he will actually get through this and the thought of going through it all again is too much.

planete

Visit site
I had my retired horse pts just over a week ago and I am going to concentrate on bringing on my 7 year old coblet. I am really hoping he will see me into my grave as I do not want to be without a horse ever again. I am planning on getting more help as I get more feeble but only severe disablement would make me give up. I need the interaction with the animals, the feeling of freedom having the fields to myself gives me and the companionship of like minded people at the farm. I no longer care about travelling and holidays, have read so many books, I find very few are now original enough to hold my interest and I need my bed by 9 pm so night life would be out even if possible. It is the outdoor and the animals which matter now. They can still challenge me, make me laugh and give me huge satisfaction so I will go on.

suestowford

Visit site
My two are getting older now (so am I!) so this is something I have given some thought to. One is bound to go before the other and I won't keep one on his own so I would probably take one on loan from a rescue. I wouldn't mind another little one as riding is not so important to me, it's the companionship that appeals to me more these days.
Having just made a new will and having to make provisions for my ponies in my will, I'd feel happier taking on a rescue loan as I know the pony would be able to go back there if I died before the pony did.

conkers

Visit site
I always thought I'd have horses well into my retirement but now the answer is no. My current one is 20 and retired and I won't be replacing him.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm not sure. Part of me thinks I'd like to spoil myself and (after having a non conventional quirky 'dressage' horse) go and get myself a dressage schoolmaster that knows its job. Then I think I'd rather hang up my boots and take lots of holidays. I guess I'll decide at the time.

Bespoke1

Visit site
HAD MY MARE PTS ON SAT AT 20YRS OLD , HAD HER SINCE SHE WAS SIX, HAD HER COMPANION ( 32YEARS OLD, HAD HIM 28YRS ) PTS 4 MONTHS AGO, BOTH COLICKED ,
NOW WORRIED THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY FIELD. ONLY MOVED HERE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO IMPROVE IT.
IS THERE A SOIL TEST OR SOMETHING I CAN DO ? IM DEVASTATED AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO .