Would you consider buying this horse?

Odyssey

Visit site
The donkeys would go back to YO as they are only there to be a companion for my mare and wouldn't be required if I had him.

I usually get those massive square hay bales, are they maybe 12ft? My mare gets through 1 slice a day during winter with access to both fields. So one of those bales lasts me a month, there is around 30 slices per bale. Where that is stored at the moment sharing with the YO, I have space just for the one bale.

I have a single shelter in the middle of my closest field that I would shut off and use for hay storage instead, though this does mean having hay dropped by the gate and transported several slices at a time by wheelbarrow to get it in there as the gate isn't tractor sized but now thinking about it, he would probably need a slice and a half over winter so I'd actually have space for quite a few bales. I was planning on putting a hay box on the hard standing in front of the shelter so I can literally just chuck hay straight into that. I will just have to get over not being able to feed them their hay in their shelter but they will have access to the big double shelter too. I can always tie a small hay net up each in there if it's raining and I feel guilty! Reasoning for this is after a certain point in winter, it will be hard to get a wheelbarrow with hay in to the big shelter as that field is downhill and can get quite wet.

So that leaves me with the field likely getting trashed with his big cloppers as I like to have a bit of grass growth coming up to winter to prevent there being so much mud. I am religiously squashing down divets as it is lol. Although, it is salvageable with harrowing which I can do myself but then there is also the risk that it gets so ruined that grass doesn't grow back without reseeding or it gets turned to dust in summer.

I wish I could turn my worry off and just buy the damn horse lol!

The donkeys going back would make it a lot more doable, sorry, I didn't realise that they're on loan. With what you've described, it sounds like you can make it work with the hay. It must be very hard to make a decision with so much involved. I really envy decisive people, my procrastination drives me mad! Good luck with whatever you decide. ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
[...] I will just have to get over not being able to feed them their hay in their shelter but they will have access to the big double shelter too. I can always tie a small hay net up each in there if it's raining and I feel guilty! [...]

So that leaves me with the field likely getting trashed with his big cloppers as I like to have a bit of grass growth coming up to winter to prevent there being so much mud. I am religiously squashing down divets as it is lol. Although, it is salvageable with harrowing which I can do myself but then there is also the risk that it gets so ruined that grass doesn't grow back without reseeding or it gets turned to dust in summer.

I wish I could turn my worry off and just buy the damn horse lol!

I never feed in my shelter as I don't want any food guarding affecting their ability to share nicely. I have an overhang on one side where I will put hay if its very wet, but mostly they have to go outside for it. I guess it might matter more for bad doers.

Is he shod and if so does he actually need to be? Shod hooves make much more mess in the field.

Ellietotz

Visit site
The donkeys going back would make it a lot more doable, sorry, I didn't realise that they're on loan. With what you've described, it sounds like you can make it work with the hay. It must be very hard to make a decision with so much involved. I really envy decisive people, my procrastination drives me mad! Good luck with whatever you decide. ?

I know that feeling, I drive my partner mad with my procrastination as well as myself.
Thank you!

Ellietotz

Visit site
I never feed in my shelter as I don't want any food guarding affecting their ability to share nicely. I have an overhang on one side where I will put hay if its very wet, but mostly they have to go outside for it. I guess it might matter more for bad doers.

Is he shod and if so does he actually need to be? Shod hooves make much more mess in the field.

He is shod yes but I'd possibly try him barefoot as he might not necessarily need them.

Ellietotz

Visit site
If you cant afford to pay another £100 pcm, when you only pay £100 pcm now then I dont think you should be taking another one on. The margins are far too tight.

I didn't say I couldn't pay another £100pcm. I said it would be okay but there would be no facilities, shelter etc or direct access to my current yard so it wouldn't really work.

timefort

Visit site
My 2p worth, I agree with the poster (Mrs J?) who asked how would you feel if you were told you couldn't have him?

When I went to try my mare I rode her 4times and loved her, she made me feel safe and grin from ear to ear but I couldn't quite believe it would work out. I had so many what ifs it wasn't funny and I developed the attitude of "well if it doesn't work never mind", right up until she failed the vetting. Then I drove off the yard, burst into tears, phoned the owner and said I'd like to buy her anyway (completely ignoring all the really sensible what ifs!!).

Winters100

Visit site
Your initial post was very positive - your later ones were trying to find fault. The horse sounds perfect on paper, but you obviously have doubts - therefore step away, he is not the right horse for you

Have to agree with this. When buying mine I felt very sure that they were right, and was keen to close the deal. Do remember that not buying a horse is a lot less trouble than buying one when you are not ready, or buying the wrong one. Maybe the answer is that you should just wait until you are ready for a second horse?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Your initial post was very positive - your later ones were trying to find fault. The horse sounds perfect on paper, but you obviously have doubts - therefore step away, he is not the right horse for you

I definitely do still want him but I am a huge worrier and procrastinate constantly so it takes me a while to make a decision. Then I panic about my decision afterwards procrastinating about it again so its nothing to do with him, it's just me!

I rode him again tonight and he really does make me happy. He stood so nicely being brushed etc, he is just the loveliest boy.

I lost my stirrup when we were cantering due to a footing error on my part which made him trip and we continued cantering with one stirrup smiling! I just didn't panic at all.

We did a swap too, I tried out his hunter twin half way round and because the friend I was riding with is taller than me and can get on from the floor, we just stopped them, in the middle of the open forest surrounded by other animals, she got off and I swivelled round in my seat and climbed over, they both stood completely still and quietly.

Instantly though, I didn't feel right on the other one. I didn't feel as safe as he makes me. He was absolutely beautiful to ride but it just didn't click!

Ellietotz

Visit site
My 2p worth, I agree with the poster (Mrs J?) who asked how would you feel if you were told you couldn't have him?

When I went to try my mare I rode her 4times and loved her, she made me feel safe and grin from ear to ear but I couldn't quite believe it would work out. I had so many what ifs it wasn't funny and I developed the attitude of "well if it doesn't work never mind", right up until she failed the vetting. Then I drove off the yard, burst into tears, phoned the owner and said I'd like to buy her anyway (completely ignoring all the really sensible what ifs!!).

I would definitely be upset and would probably have done exactly the same thing!

Perhaps it's because I'm not quite certain the owner will sell yet and currently, between me and another, we get to share them in exchange for poo picking with as much riding as we want but if he was actually on the open market, I wouldn't hesitate at all because I don't think I could lose him now so currently, it is quite a nice arrangement in a way and I get an opportunity to get to know him more. If she then does get really serious, I'm pretty certain I will snap him up and I don't care what I'd need to do to make it work!

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Agree with all the above- have you seen the amount of people that are looking to buy something safe and straightforward for a reasonable price and can't find anything at all?? Groups full of riders whose criteria is basically 'a nice gelding/mare that I can enjoy riding and isn't more than 5 figs...' who are coming up with nothing. You may have had an idea in your head of what your dream horse may look like aesthetically but that is never the best basis for buying a horse!! Plus 3 years difference (13 years not 10 years old) isn't that much at all- he still has plenty of rideable years in him. I would go for it before someone else (possibly someone on this thread lol ?) beats you to it!! As others have said, you will easily be able to sell him even in 4 or 5 years, and who knows- he may have hidden untapped potential that you haven't seen or hasn't been untapped yet- I admittedly am not an expert on cobs but a lot of people are huge fans who say when schooled correctly can turn their hoof to anything and you often see them at low to mid competitive levels (and higher in showing obviously!). Unless you are aiming for Fox hunter or something I think you've found the one, which is great :) Good luck and let us know what happens!

PS As you have already said you are doing, definitely go for the vetting though- someone mentioned the kind of sensible vet who won't fail him because of 'lumps and bumps' but will notice a chronic issue.

Ellietotz

Visit site
This is becoming more complicated that I'd hoped for...
At the moment, the owner has the two boys with several people riding them in exchange for chores. Since I got involved, it felt like some of the people weren't happy with me and I could be completely wrong but I feel like I am to blame for the owner selling even though she has wanted to do it for years. I did explain to them that they were there first so not to prioritise me riding over them etc and they were all happy with us all sharing.

Anyway, they are saying she won't do it and just to carry on as normal. The owner is saying she is definitely going to sell this time and will be advertising next week.

I am so worried about losing him but I don't want to upset anyone in the process.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
has she offered him to the others, if not and she wants him to go to you and you do want him, then dont worry about the others...if she advertises him at that price he will be snapped up very quickly so have a good think about how you would feel if this happens.....if you cant bear it , tell her you want him but make sure you have a vetting....good luck

Surbie

Visit site
At the moment, the owner has the two boys with several people riding them in exchange for chores. Since I got involved, it felt like some of the people weren't happy with me and I could be completely wrong but I feel like I am to blame for the owner selling even though she has wanted to do it for years. I did explain to them that they were there first so not to prioritise me riding over them etc and they were all happy with us all sharing.

Anyway, they are saying she won't do it and just to carry on as normal. The owner is saying she is definitely going to sell this time and will be advertising next week.

I am so worried about losing him but I don't want to upset anyone in the process.

If you want the horse and the owner is at the point of going to advertise, contact her about it now. Don't rely on hearsay, the other people don't own the horse. If she sells him, they will lose the ride anyway.

If you don't want him, do send me the link to any advert - my local RDA would like 4 of him please.

Ellietotz

Visit site
has she offered him to the others, if not and she wants him to go to you and you do want him, then dont worry about the others...if she advertises him at that price he will be snapped up very quickly so have a good think about how you would feel if this happens.....if you cant bear it , tell her you want him but make sure you have a vetting....good luck

Yes, they aren't in the position to buy either of them. I really don't want to lose him!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well , you know what to do and you need to make a decision before she realises that she could get more for him, he sounds like a lovely horse and if he passes the vet you should have no problem selling him in the future if you decide you want something with more potential....buy the horse you can have fun on now and dont overhorse yourself as we have seen from so many posts on here, and you have had the benefit of a nice long trial,

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I really don't want to lose him!
If you really don't want to lose him, get proactive and tell her you want him. As others have said, if she sells him elsewhere the other people who ride him will lose him anyway. Don't for goodness sake be in the position of wishing 'if only I had made it happen'. Stop dithering.

Visit site
OP! Just buy him!! You obviously adore him and I think your main worry is the owner will change her mind about selling him once you’ve paid for the vetting, so I think you are trying to convince yourself not to buy him so you’re not disappointed! Don’t rely on what the others say, speak to the owner and ask if you can put a deposit on him subject to vetting. DONT wait until he’s advertised as he will be snapped up within hours at that price.

Annagain

Visit site
You can't care what the other riders want, of course they don't want you to buy him as they'll lose their chance to ride. You have to do what you want. If owner is selling both horses, could you rent her fields instead and move your mare if they're more suitable?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Take no notice of everybody else! The only person who knows what she wants to do is the owner. If she is telling you that she wants to sell him and you don't want to lose him, tell her that you would like to book a vetting, if she is sure and take it from there. With a big smile explain to her that if he passes a sensible vet and she then changes her mind, you will expect her to cover the cost.
Honestly far too many people let themselves be swayed by other people -don't let her advertise him, if you want him!

ETA the other sharers are obviously worried that he won't be available to them, if you buy him, forgetting that she could sell him to someone from the other end of the country. I'm not surprised she wants to sell, why on earth should she pay to keep a horse for loads of other people to ride?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sometimes in life you have to just elbow your way to the front of the queue to get what you want.

The others can't buy him, you can. And it sounds like you've made up your mind that you really want him. So go to the owner and tell her you will buy him subject to vetting and just say 'Before I go ahead and book the vet do you need more time to think about this or are you 100% sure that you want to sell him?'.

Ellietotz

Visit site
You can't care what the other riders want, of course they don't want you to buy him as they'll lose their chance to ride. You have to do what you want. If owner is selling both horses, could you rent her fields instead and move your mare if they're more suitable?

I know but I just don't want people to be angry with me!
Her fields have no shelters, hard standing, storage, running water or even tying areas so I definitely have the better set up aside from the tiny annoyance of having to get slices of hay individually to the shelter to store it. Worst comes to worst though I could always get the farmer to just chuck a round bale over the fence for me! I just like to be able to manage the hay rather than give them all of it.

I know it is really stupid that I'm worrying about the others but I just feel like if it wasn't for me, maybe she wouldn't be selling just yet!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Her fields have no shelters, hard standing, storage, running water or even tying areas so I definitely have the better set up aside from the tiny annoyance of having to get slices of hay individually to the shelter to store it. Worst comes to worst though I could always get the farmer to just chuck a round bale over the fence for me! I just like to be able to manage the hay rather than give them all of it.

I know it is really stupid that I'm worrying about the others but I just feel like if it wasn't for me, maybe she wouldn't be selling just yet!

She has been thinking about selling him for years! Now she has found someone who can afford to buy him, likes him and who she knows will give him a good home. B*ggar the others!

Annagain

Visit site

If that's the case, she likes you enough to want her horse to go to you and she's the only one who matters. They may not be happy with the situation but that doesn't mean they're angry with you. And if they are angry with you about something that's not your decision (if she doesn't sell to you, she'll sell to someone else), they're not the sort of people you need in your life anyway. If they're putting you off, it's for their own selfish reasons so they don't care about your feelings, why should you care about theirs.

Surbie

Visit site
Yes, they aren't in the position to buy either of them. I really don't want to lose him!

I fell for my lad on sight, while he was still at the RDA. A year later I nearly lost the chance to have him because of something similar - not wanting to tread on the toes of someone else who'd been around longer but wasn't, it turned out at the very last minute, in any position to afford to keep him.

I went through 3 months of being utterly heartbroken, before being reunited with him. His owner could easily have found someone else. Don't do yourself the same disservice.

And as soon as he passes his vetting pls post pics! He sounds super and I'd really like to see him.

Ellietotz

Visit site
OP, you do seem to worry too much about what *others* think. This has been a running theme throughout your ownership of your mare.

If you do buy this gelding, can you foresee his current riders hanging around and you feeling intimidated by them? Or would they have nothing left to hang around for?

I know, I really can't help it, it drives me mad!

Yes, they do actually have their own horses already but they use them for friends/partner's to ride with them so they would still be there. I wouldn't be intimidated by them, I rarely see them if I'm honest, I just don't like there being negative feelings with anyone really!