Would you consider buying this horse?

twobearsarthur

Visit site
He made you smile and felt right the rest doesn’t matter. None of us can think about what ifs in regards to the future. If he made you happy now then go for it. This time I was looking for a 7-10 year old warmblood. Ready to go. I ended up with a 6 month old ID untouched. As soon as I laid eyes on him I knew he was the one even though he couldn’t have been further from what I was looking for. Go for it if he makes you happy (and passes a vetting)

paddy555

Visit site
I honestly can't explain how he made me feel. I braved it and just took him out first time on my own. Seller left the tack for me and left me to it and off we went. I felt so safe, I felt like he would look after me.
He is such a happy soul.
I'm worried that perhaps once I have my confidence back, maybe I'd be bored but he is the nicest person.
We had stampedes pass us today and didn't bat an eyelid.
If he looks at something, he doesn't really move, just looks and you tell him it's okay and he plods on. Completely happy go lucky sort.
I was laughing and smiling the whole time on him on my first ride, his entire body moves in canter, he feels like a rocking horse.
I was in love within 10 minutes ?

apart from being black and white what is his problem? I think I could learn to live with the colour to know he was safe and would go past anything. Other advantages are you have given him a good trial, he has his tack and rugs, you know how he has been kept and you are not going to end up with either a seller you don't know or a dealer and wondering if they are pulling the wool over your eyes. You know he is not buted up, presumably he is the horse on his passport, you don't need lorry transport, don't have to worry about other people chasing to buy him, or worry about making payment or any of the other things that seem to have cropped up in the past few months from people buying.

As for getting you confidence back you will only do that with a horse like him. If you get something "above" you it won't come back so you are stuck and need something like this chap.

Get a 5 star vetting and find out what is wrong with him and if it is acceptable.
I would have thought this saintly person with his tack for the price quoted is pretty good going.

ETA another advantage is that you don't have to take him home and then wonder what you have bought and if it is going to work out. You already have a bond with him

I would get a move on with the vet. I expect you will be killed in the rush otherwise. Shame to lose him.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
Oh my word! Anyone who has spent months trawling the country looking for a new horse, and I have, will say get vetted and buy.
You have been able to try him out and by the sound of your post he sounds lovely.
If someone turned up today and bought him how would you feel? That will tell you if he is the one for you, but yes I would buy him.

Winters100

Visit site
I just instantly felt safe on him.

For me this would be the decision made - I would definitely buy him.

A horse who makes you feel safe is priceless. When I bought my schoolmistress several people questioned me as she was older and very different to my previous horses. It was the best decision I ever made, mainly because she is reliable, we just don't have 'bad' days where she is spooky or silly, she knows her job and does it without fuss. 2.5 years later I still love riding her, even though my confidence is now back and I am also happy to ride others. This horse sounds like he is really a horse for fun, one who you can do what you want with, go for a hack alone if no one is around without feeling worried, not have to wonder whether you should lunge him before riding. Having a horse you trust gives you freedom to try new things, to me is sounds like he will do wonders for your confidence and you will have great fun with him!

Upthecreek

Visit site
People often miss out on great horses because they are thinking too much about the future and whether the horse will be too steady for them in a year or two. A few years ago I made exactly that mistake when buying a horse for my daughter. Buy the horse that is right for you right now and enjoy it. Steady neddies will often step up a bit with good training anyway if they are willing sorts. If the horse makes you feel safe and happy and passes a vetting for the activities you want to do, buy him - particularly at that price.

SO1

Visit site
Unless he has a serious health problem he sounds underpriced in the market. Get him vetted though.

New Forests are a rare breed they are hard to come by especially the sort you are describing which don't come on the open market that often.

As a comparison my bay forester with a nice white stripe was £3150 13 years ago with no tack. Prices have gone up massively since then.

IMG-20210530-WA0005.jpg

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I honestly can't explain how he made me feel. I braved it and just took him out first time on my own. Seller left the tack for me and left me to it and off we went. I felt so safe, I felt like he would look after me.
He is such a happy soul.
I'm worried that perhaps once I have my confidence back, maybe I'd be bored but he is the nicest person.
We had stampedes pass us today and didn't bat an eyelid.
If he looks at something, he doesn't really move, just looks and you tell him it's okay and he plods on. Completely happy go lucky sort.
I was laughing and smiling the whole time on him on my first ride, his entire body moves in canter, he feels like a rocking horse.
I was in love within 10 minutes ?

Read this back then tell us what you’re going to do! From one black and white cob fan to another, grab him and run!

Ellietotz

Visit site
He sounds positively fantastic! Does he have any brothers?!

Well no BUT she is thinking about selling his hunter twin as well! 11 years old, 16.2hh (I think), also hacks alone and in company without excitement. Essentially, he is exactly the same but a bit more athletic!

ETA: I only personally like this one as he has a sweet happy go lucky personality. The other one has more like a working vibe, more dominant in the field and definitely the boss.