would you let a pregnant friend ride your horse?

Mongoose11

Visit site
I wouldn't feel I have the right to judge anyone regarding their choices over their own body or their future child's. I wouldn't see why it's my business and it seems to be people projecting their own issues on other people from what I can see? I mean this as a genuine question but why are people so worried about others babies? Millions of babies die in foreign countries because of war or famine, yet people seem to get more worked up about babies whose mothers don't behave in a way they believe they should.

Passing judgement would be saying that mothers who drink are bad mothers. I certainly haven't said that. I've stated that I think drinking more than the recommend amounts, while pregnant, is, in my opinion, not in the baby's best interests.

Sweet lord only on HHO could someone with a baby's interests at heart come under such fire ;)

Tongue is in cheek. No harm done, each to their own at the end of the day. Put a puffing/drinking pregnant woman in front of any infertile thirties something and see what happens though....

Daytona

Visit site
Is the advice of the Royal Collage of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists not expert enough for you then when they state that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy have not been shown to be harmful.

I'm pretty sure the advice given is

There is no known "safe" amount of alcohol use during pregnancy.

This is what I have read on Internet and been told by my local hospital.

Mongoose11

Visit site
One thing I hate is someone telling me to calm down Dear, when I answer a post, when I am calm maybe it's the way I come over when replying, but you did say you tell a woman that was pregnant who was having a drink not to because of the baby and again I say what the woman does is none of yours or mine business.

No, I didn't say that. You are incorrect I'm afraid.

Just because you would prefer it, doesn't mean people have to take notice of what you say.

Absolutely.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'm pretty sure the advice given is

There is no known "safe" amount of alcohol use during pregnancy.

This is what I have read on Internet and been told by my local hospital.

It's on the NHS website amongst others.

Mongoose11. You're back tracking, you condemned women for drinking, not for drinking over the guide lines.

paddi22

Visit site
Tongue is in cheek. No harm done, each to their own at the end of the day. Put a puffing/drinking pregnant woman in front of any infertile thirties something and see what happens though....

Ah, but that's projection of someone else's issues onto another person! And speaking as an infertile 30 something myself, lol, I still don't feel I have the right to judge someone else's choices. People make their own choices and live with consequences, I don't see why I should have an opinion on it.

Mongoose11

Visit site
And luckerly 30 somethings can get ferilty treatment. And you are still moralising. D)

Ahhh, yes and that always works doesn't it...

Mongoose11. You're back tracking, you condemned women for drinking, not for drinking over the guide lines.

Condemned or opposed? I spoke in opposition to both to be fair, but suggested that if a woman drank during pregnancy then I would hope they stuck to recommended guidelines. I'm not sure 'drank' is a word, but I'm leaving it in.

Ah, but that's projection of someone else's issues onto another person! And speaking as an infertile 30 something myself, lol, I still don't feel I have the right to judge someone else's choices. People make their own choices and live with consequences, I don't see why I should have an opinion on it.

Projection or natural reaction?

Absolutely, you don't have to have an opinion on it at all. I do have one though, and that's ok too :)

Btw judge/condemn aren't the same as differ/oppose.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Ooh isn't it funny how people take things differently? From what I've read, it's the anti-doing anything while you're pregnant posters who are almost verging on being aggressive. You've made your point (many many times now), others have a different viewpoint, end of story.

It's starting to feel a bit like having the Jehovah Witnesses knocking on your front door and the Mormons banging on the back door now lol!

I must have missed all the posts saying pregnant women can't do anything.. I just read a lot of posts from people saying they didn't want to run the risk of having a pregnant friend ride their horse. I really fail to see why this is such a bad thing?

Daytona

Visit site

Nope NHS defo states avoid alcohol,

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2270.aspx?CategoryID=54

I live in Scotland so might be different but as I said I was given the same advice by MW and when I was at my local NHS hospital getting a scan, don't drink any if you can to avoid all risk associated with alcohol.

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I admit, I probably would be more cautious second time around, but I'd probably still have a drink or two during the 9 months. Not because I'm addicted and I have to, but because I want to. It's so cultural the not drinking thing, I think I'll do what suits me.

What about those people who don't know they're pregnant for months and months and carry on life as normal?

Also the whole 'my midwife recommends' thing is nonsense IMO. My midwife was so disgusted I went skiing at 8 weeks gone, that I didn't tell her about the horse riding! Another more active midwife probably would have said have fun but be careful :)

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
I never stated that they did say that pregnant women can't do anything; I think if you read back I used the prefix anti :smile3:

Apologies. But no one is anti them doing anything either? They are only 'anti' pregnant women riding their horse! Each to their own and all that, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about tbh.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to make choices regarding their own bodies and lives either.

Only difference, Saudi women are oppressed by men. Here, the women with moral indignation do it.
Since when did pregnancy turn an otherwise reasonable woman into a person with the judgement of a 4 year old who needs to be told what she can and cannot do.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to make choices regarding their own bodies and lives either.

Only difference, Saudi women are oppressed by men. Here, the women with moral indignation do it.
Since when did pregnancy turn an otherwise reasonable woman into a person with the judgement of a 4 year old who needs to be told what she can and cannot do.

Ahhh see now you're just making yourself sound a bit silly. This isn't oppression, this is common sense guided by medical professionals. You can't oppress someone with an opinion...

You can't tell the difference?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Nope NHS defo states avoid alcohol,

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2270.aspx?CategoryID=54

I live in Scotland so might be different but as I said I was given the same advice by MW and when I was at my local NHS hospital getting a scan, don't drink any if you can to avoid all risk associated with alcohol.

Try this one, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx#close ,- although your version does state that low use has not been known the harm the baby.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Ahhh see now you're just making yourself sound a bit silly. This isn't oppression, this is common sense guided by medical professionals. You can't oppress someone with an opinion...

Much of the oppression against women is done by opinion, not law. You've obviously never lived in a developing country.

As already stated, I am not disputing medical research, just find it unfair when people put their own slant on it in order to tell other women that they should and shouldn't do.

Spring Feather

Visit site

But she didn't say this was oppression :confused3: she said it was moral indignation. You know the difference right?

Mongoose11

Visit site
But she didn't say this was oppression :confused3: she said it was moral indignation. You know the difference right?

Sorry to be pedantic but she said 'Only difference, Saudi women are oppressed by men. Here, the women with moral indignation do it.' The 'do it' refers to the oppression, she is suggesting that the moral indignation is used to oppress. She is saying that this is oppression.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Much of the oppression against women is done by opinion, not law. You've obviously never lived in a developing country.

As already stated, I am not disputing medical research, just find it unfair when people put their own slant on it in order to tell other women that they should and shouldn't do.

Nobody here has told a woman what they should or shouldn't do. People have shared their opinion on what they think women should or shouldn't do.

A difference of opinion is not oppression. Enforcing that opinion, in some way, is oppression. Oppression is persecution, enslavement, mistreatment...not a difference of opinion and the voicing of such.

Last edited:

Patterdale

Visit site
So saying that you don't agree with drinking in pregnancy as it has been proven to be harmful to the baby is comparable to female oppression in Saudi Arabia...?

And saying that, whilst you don't have a problem with pregnant women riding, but that you just wouldn't want them riding your horse, is being anti pregnant women doing any activity?

:rolleyes3:

*suddenly remembers why I don't spend much time here anymore*

Daytona

Visit site
Try this one, http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx#close ,- although your version does state that low use has not been known the harm the baby.

I read that as the same advice.? If possible avoid alcohol.

I had a drink before I found out I was pregnant , I would of been around 2/3 weeks at time. Still plays on my mind now. As I'm not really much of a drinker anyway, maybe once every few months.

Still kinda beat myself up over it, hoping no damage was done in those early development stages. It was just 1 night and I drank about maybe 6/8 alcopop drinks. My husband says I'm being daft but still annoys me I did it but how was I to know :-(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think people are getting het up over nothing here. People here who drank during pregnancy have afaik admitted to drinking a drink a week max, below minimum guidelines. No one on this post has said they drank daily.

I'll be honest I think 2-3 cups of coffee a day or a 500ml bottle of coke is FAR worse than a glass of wine a week. Caffeine is evil!

Daytona, please don't worry a one off thing will have done no harm (read SFs link above) just relax and enjoy it. Babies like stress less than they like alcohol :)

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
Sorry to be pedantic but she said 'Only difference, Saudi women are oppressed by men. Here, the women with moral indignation do it.' The 'do it' refers to the oppression, she is suggesting that the moral indignation is used to oppress. She is saying that this is oppression.
Right back at you, she was obviously referring to her earlier comment "Women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to make choices regarding their own bodies and lives either."

Mongoose11

Visit site
I think people are getting het up over nothing here. People here who drank during pregnancy have afaik admitted to drinking a drink a week max, below minimum guidelines. No one on this post has said they drank daily.

I'll be honest I think 2-3 cups of coffee a day or a 500ml bottle of coke is FAR worse than a glass of wine a week. Caffeine is evil!

SF, to be fair, no, not everyone on here has talked about enjoying under or at the recommended level of alcohol during pregnancy.