would you let a pregnant friend ride your horse?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would think moderate drinking is drinking to guidelines (is that 12 a week for women?) so that's 1.5 units a day ish for women I think. Then it's recommended to have 2-3 alcohol free days a week, so prob 2-3 units 4 days a week. So a drink a week is hardly bad, IMHO caffeine is just as bad, but yet 4 cups of coffee a day for pregnant people is fine apparently! (Or is it 2, either way, a fair amount!)

Also can I just love all those holier than thou who've never been pregnant, brilliant!

Moomin1

Visit site
I would think moderate drinking is drinking to guidelines (is that 12 a week for women?) so that's 1.5 units a day ish for women I think. Then it's recommended to have 2-3 alcohol free days a week, so prob 2-3 units 4 days a week. So a drink a week is hardly bad, IMHO caffeine is just as bad, but yet 4 cups of coffee a day for pregnant people is fine apparently! (Or is it 2, either way, a fair amount!)

Also can I just love all those holier than thou who've never been pregnant, brilliant!

God if I have four cups of coffee a day I cry!

I am 5 and a half month pregnant now and I have on average four glasses of wine per week still.

Yes it is very easy to say when you never have been pregnant what you would and wouldn't do...lol!

Evie91

Visit site
Not read all of thread so apologies if someone has already said this.
I have never been been pregnant so no axe to grind and not sitting in judgement.
However, I will say I attended a course on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and I was terrified! I advise anyone who will listen - please don't drink alcohol during pregnancy - the results can be devastating!
All it takes in some cases is one alcoholic drink at the wrong time during development of foetus and the effects can be devastating and life long - all for something that could be completely avoided! The guilt some of the Mothers felt was huge that they had damaged their own babies.
Alcohol can have a worse effect than heroin.
Crack an egg into a shot of vodka and watch what happens - the placenta does not filter alcohol out, so essentially the baby is pickled!
Out of all of the courses I have ever attended, I can honestly say this one really has stuck with me.
Sorry, realise this is completely off topic and nothing to do with riding whilst pregnant!

Moomin1

Visit site
Not read all of thread so apologies if someone has already said this.
I have never been been pregnant so no axe to grind and not sitting in judgement.
However, I will say I attended a course on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and I was terrified! I advise anyone who will listen - please don't drink alcohol during pregnancy - the results can be devastating!
All it takes in some cases is one alcoholic drink at the wrong time during development of foetus and the effects can be devastating and life long - all for something that could be completely avoided! The guilt some of the Mothers felt was huge that they had damaged their own babies.
Alcohol can have a worse effect than heroin.
Crack an egg into a shot of vodka and watch what happens - the placenta does not filter alcohol out, so essentially the baby is pickled!
Out of all of the courses I have ever attended, I can honestly say this one really has stuck with me.
Sorry, realise this is completely off topic and nothing to do with riding whilst pregnant!

Yet oddly, despite both midwives and doctors knowing full well how much I still drink per week (as I said before, about four glasses of wine per week), not one has remotely even addressed the concern. The do however, repeatedly ask whether I am still a non smoker (I have never even tried it).

RunToEarth

Visit site
I'm a great believer in self preservation - I trust people (pregnant or otherwise) to have some, and I'm not about to tell adults what to think.

Evie91

Visit site
Also need to disagree with the poster who believes FAS is only caused by heavy, prolonged alcohol consumption - this is not the case.
One woman was pregnant over Christmas period and had a glass of champagne or champagne with orange juice over the course of one week, normally she wouldn't drink. Her child had FAS - not all of the children have the distinct facial features.
It is widely thought that lots of behavioural difficulties may have been caused by mothers alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
Each to their own but I just don't understand why many women will avoid soft cheese etc during pregnancy but still drink alcohol. It's only 9 months of your life, the course I attended were calling it a 'pregnant pause' - no alcohol for nine months (ok maybe a bit longer if you are breast feeding!)

I type with gin in hand so not anti - alcohol ! Just find it shocking how many pregnant women do not know about FAS or have wrong info!

Moomin1

Visit site
Also need to disagree with the poster who believes FAS is only caused by heavy, prolonged alcohol consumption - this is not the case.
One woman was pregnant over Christmas period and had a glass of champagne or champagne with orange juice over the course of one week, normally she wouldn't drink. Her child had FAS - not all of the children have the distinct facial features.
It is widely thought that lots of behavioural difficulties may have been caused by mothers alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
Each to their own but I just don't understand why many women will avoid soft cheese etc during pregnancy but still drink alcohol. It's only 9 months of your life, the course I attended were calling it a 'pregnant pause' - no alcohol for nine months (ok maybe a bit longer if you are breast feeding!)

I type with gin in hand so not anti - alcohol ! Just find it shocking how many pregnant women do not know about FAS or have wrong info!

I don't avoid soft cheeses either. ;-)

Isn't it odd that drs and midwives don't seem to be too fussed about mild alcohol consumption during pregnancy? If someone can cause FAS by having one glass of champagne per evening over one week in their entire pregnancy, then I am surprised that dr's etc aren't absolutely going to town on guiding women through pregnancy and monitoring alcohol consumption. As I say, I was asked once, at the start of pregnancy how much I now drink per week, and they have never even asked since. They do repeatedly ask about smoking though, despite me never once having even tried smoking in my life. They seem more fussed about that.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Is it really that hard to just stop drinking alcohol, and also avoid the other proscribed foods, during pregnancy?

For me, it wasn't a big deal. I just cut out the crap and got on with life :).

Btw, my first pregnancy was normal except for the start and the finish. I had a crunching fall on the road days after conception, resulting in concussion, memory loss and and overnight stay on hospital. At the end, son no 1 was 10 days late, got distressed and was fished out by emergency c/s with seconds to spare (was initially blue and unresponsive, but soon perked up). Quite enough excitement for one pregnancy, despite me following all the guidelines that were recommended at the time.

Moomin1

Visit site
Is it really that hard to just stop drinking alcohol, and also avoid the other proscribed foods, during pregnancy?

For me, it wasn't a big deal. I just cut out the crap and got on with life :).

Btw, my first pregnancy was normal except for the start and the finish. I had a crunching fall on the road days after conception, resulting in concussion, memory loss and and overnight stay on hospital. At the end, son no 1 was 10 days late, got distressed and was fished out by emergency c/s with seconds to spare (was initially blue and unresponsive, but soon perked up). Quite enough excitement for one pregnancy, despite me following all the guidelines that were recommended at the time.

No it's not hard. I just don't choose to. :)

BSL

Visit site
Not really a proper reply to op's original question, all I know is that when I had by my babies the minute I knew I was pregnant, I stopped riding, and drinking. My risk assessment my choice. Plenty of time to resume both, without them with me once born.

Montyforever

Visit site
I wouldn't let a pregnant woman ride or handle my horse! Sorry but i wouldn't want to feel responsible for any accidents ..
My mum had an accident involving the horses in the field quite early on in her pregnancy. A herd of mares barging at the gate in winter, she had to dodge a kick and ended up falling over. She started bleeding the day after and thought that she was miscarrying but luckily she wasn't!
From that point onwards i handled her mare until she was rehomed.

Daytona

Visit site
Not really a proper reply to op's original question, all I know is that when I had by my babies the minute I knew I was pregnant, I stopped riding, and drinking. My risk assessment my choice. Plenty of time to resume both, without them with me once born.

Yes me too. As for FAS it's not always noticeable your child could end up with a lower IQ than he/she would of potentially had, had no alcohol been consumed, but you won't know this as it's too late now and baby been born with lower IQ.

My MW strongly adviced me that the NHS guidelines say no alcohol if possible. I said could I have the odd alcohpop , I got a firm No please don't , it's not worth the risk.

So I took this advice on board. I don't want to damage my baby.

pottamus

Visit site
It would be a straight no from me. In this day and age of being sued for breathing, it is not worth the risk...no amount of insurance seems to stop some people from being sued for the most minor things happening to them.

Spotsrock

Visit site
I've made decision to only ride or handle my own horses. They're not plods but fairly polite and I know them well.
I consulted 3 midwifes and a Harley street doctor when making this decision, as we have lost before, all agreed riding without taking stupid risks was suitable exercise. I have quit jumping for the time being
Even though I have made decision to ride them I would not be comfortable with another pregnant lady riding them Little one moves sharply and people seem to come out the side door somehow and the big lad has Aa bit of a buck on a bad day and will spook at his own feet in protest if not in the mood to work, hes such a mellow fellow that this catches most people out!
That's not about removing someone's choice, it's about making my own choice regarding my horses and my guilt free conscience

Mongoose11

Visit site
Two things have come out of this thread for me:

1. That I would allow a pregnant friend to ride my very sensible horse if she was a regular rider and already riding her own/others.

2. Man alive there are some very, very tiresome posters here who remind me of me in a past life (offers an apology to the world). You have issues. Go sort them.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
It would be a straight no from me. In this day and age of being sued for breathing, it is not worth the risk...no amount of insurance seems to stop some people from being sued for the most minor things happening to them.

I'm afraid I would have to take this line - I've seen the best of friends turn into the worst of enemies over a similar situation.
Call me selfish if you like, it's nothing to do with riding ability, personal choice, etc. I would just rather not be involved in litigation where someone is trying to hold me partly responsible for something that was essentially their own choice.

Moomin1

Visit site
Two things have come out of this thread for me:

1. That I would allow a pregnant friend to ride my very sensible horse if she was a regular rider and already riding her own/others.

2. Man alive there are some very, very tiresome posters here who remind me of me in a past life (offers an apology to the world). You have issues. Go sort them.

So people posting their own opinions and views means they have issues?

Personally I think it's been a very interesting and eye opening thread, and I for one have thought long and hard about everyone's point put across. I don't think that does anyone any harm at all.

_HP_

Visit site
I'm sorry you feel that way, but no matter how it's dressed up, it is not giving the woman her choice. Other people are making that choice for her and absolutely has anti-feminist connotations implied.

But it's not her choice whether she rides your horse or not....it's yours...so it's not taking away her choice is it?
:)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Just a note to those worried by the FAS scaremongering;
Re drinking alcohol in pregnancy, the guidelines from the NHS, NICE and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists advise that 1-2 units once or twice a week is ok.

FAS is very rare and caused by heavy drinking ie, 6 units a day.
FASD is a milder form of FAS and may be misdiagnosed as it presents similarly to other disorders.

Those of us that are a bit older may remember Princess Diana drinking wine when she was expecting Prince William. Pregnant women could still have a glass of wine in public then without the Public Health Police brigade expressing their disapproval.

WelshD

Visit site
No I wouldnt. I dont have any problem with pregnant people riding at all but I would never forgive myself if something went wrong and I doubt a friendship would survive it if something did go wrong.

Fides

Visit site
Just a note to those worried by the FAS scaremongering;
Re drinking alcohol in pregnancy, the guidelines from the NHS, NICE and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists advise that 1-2 units once or twice a week is ok.

FAS is very rare and caused by heavy drinking ie, 6 units a day.
FASD is a milder form of FAS and may be misdiagnosed as it presents similarly to other disorders.

Those of us that are a bit older may remember Princess Diana drinking wine when she was expecting Prince William. Pregnant women could still have a glass of wine in public then without the Public Health Police brigade expressing their disapproval.

Are you a doctor or medical professional? Are you qualified to give advice? I am and I disagree

Spring Feather

Visit site
Are you a doctor or medical professional? Are you qualified to give advice? I am and I disagree

You aren't a doctor though :confused3:

I agree with you dogatemysalad; too much scaremongering going on here for the younger women. Loads of us older folks drank in moderation when we were pregnant and I was never once told that I should not touch a drop by my doctor or midwife.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

Yes, and you also disagree with NICE, and the NHS, (and probably the WHO too, but I can't be bothered to check)

You know the worst thing for unborn children IMO? Is stress. Stress affects everything but us not quantifiable really. If a glass of wine reduces that, then that's all good. Wine also tastes good and sometimes you just need a treat when pregnant. Until you've been there, you don't know.