would you let a pregnant friend ride your horse?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Advising against drinking alcohol whilst pregnant isn't scaremongering. Health care professionals are undecided about what is a safe level of alcohol consumption while pregnant. A 'safe' level hasn't been established, so unless you like a gamble, it's simply wisest to lay off the booze for the duration. I'm quite surprised at how many posters do not seem to be able to cope without a drink.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx#close

Ditto with the banned foods list. I personally found cutting down dramatically on my coffee intake was really hard but I did it.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

If, heaven forfend, there should be anything wrong with the newborn baby, you want to feel that you tried your hardest to avoid damaging it during pregnancy.

I am not a medic, but I come from a family stuffed to the gills with doctors. Not one medic, or medic's wife, drank alcohol or ate the banned foods whilst pregnant. It's as much of a deal as you like to make it.

Mongoose11

Visit site
So people posting their own opinions and views means they have issues?

Personally I think it's been a very interesting and eye opening thread, and I for one have thought long and hard about everyone's point put across. I don't think that does anyone any harm at all.

Please refer back to point number two.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hard one, its obviously her choice if she wants to ride but if something did happen you'd feel dreadful I imagine. I rode during my pregnancy, my own horse and a friends horse - she asked me if I was happy to continue and I was but then the horse was safe and I knew it well. So it depends on the horse too, if your horse is a bit of a nutter then I wouldn't let her personally but if she knows it and its safe then I guess its up to her. My doctor and midwife rode through their pregnancies so they were perfectly happy for me to keep riding.

Have to agree about the drinking thing though, its proven that alcohol is really bad during pregnancy, same with eating rubbish. I don't remember ever being told not to drink though, I just watched a documentary on the effects of alcohol on babies and that terrified me enough. Doctors really should educate people though at the very beginning.

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Banned foods are a funny thing though, they go in and out of fashion. People wee shocked I ate peanuts while pregnant, as they used to be banned. The French would laugh at our fanning of Brie and other such cheeses. I did avoid things like that while pregnant but as a veggie who spent 3 days in France for work eating Brie was pretty much unavoidable, there was nothing else to eat!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Banned foods are a funny thing though, they go in and out of fashion. People wee shocked I ate peanuts while pregnant, as they used to be banned. The French would laugh at our fanning of Brie and other such cheeses. I did avoid things like that while pregnant but as a veggie who spent 3 days in France for work eating Brie was pretty much unavoidable, there was nothing else to eat!

Yeah, I don't agree with not eating certain things - I read that if you don't eat peanuts then you might increase the risk of your child developing an allergy because they haven't been used to having them in their system. Also don't get why you cant have soft cheese, in this day and age I doubt many babies have ever been affected by their mothers eating brie. I ate nuts, didn't eat soft cheese but only due to a food intolerance. If you read into any specific food enough then I bet you'll find somewhere saying its bad.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm quite surprised at how many posters do not seem to be able to cope without a drink.

I believe someone already answered this question; some women choose to have a drink, not that they are unable to cope without a drink.

I am not a medic, but I come from a family stuffed to the gills with doctors. Not one medic, or medic's wife, drank alcohol or ate the banned foods whilst pregnant.

Same here, except all of mine did choose to :smile3:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I believe someone already answered this question; some women choose to have a drink, not that they are unable to cope without a drink.
You carry on believing that if you want to, SF.

Same here, except all of mine did choose to :smile3:
There's plenty of nutty medics about, who do not follow the advice that they dish out to their patients!

I personally know too many folk who have lost babies from 5 months gestation to full term still births. The guilt and grief they suffered was horrendous, although it was just bad luck in each case.

Renvers

Visit site
A friend used to school my very safe TB and when she found out she was pregnant (first child) she and her husband decided they didn't want to take the risk or put me in an awkward position. So glad they made the decision and i fully supported it and when I thought about I know I would have been very anxious every time she sat on him and would feel the risk more than she.

If it is their horse, they know it and trust it and only have themselves and partner's view to consider, I have no problem if people choose to ride. If it is someone elses horse they automatically become involved in the mother and child's safety and it is an unfair responsibility.

Spring Feather

Visit site
You carry on believing that if you want to, SF.
Ahh I'm guessing someone in your family/circle of close friends is an alcoholic. The way you've answered is often how people react when affected by others alcoholism. T'is a fact of life though that the vast majority of people do make choices about what they want to eat or drink, without being addicted to those foods or drinks :smile3:

Evie91

Visit site
I'm honestly amazed at people disputing the reality and prevalence of FAS! I have worked with children with this condition - it exists!
It's not scaremongering to bring it to people's attention - you don't have to be a heavy drinker.
A fetus is developing every single day, alcohol does effect development. What if you just hit the wrong day and interfere with the development of something vital. IMO not worth the risk.
FAS can effect behaviour ( has been associated with ADHD),IQ, neurological and physical development - why risk it? To think you child may develop something that would have been entirely avoidable due to mother choosing to drink.
If you choose to drink that's your choice but please don't try and influence others by saying FAS is scaremongering- it truly is not. I don't want to start an argument.I have seen the devastation it causes, lives ruined.

I'm not wanting to judge anyone, each to their own, but if only one person chooses not to drink during pregnancy due to reading this post, then it will have been worth posting :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ahh I'm guessing someone in your family/circle of close friends is an alcoholic. The way you've answered is often how people react when affected by others alcoholism. T'is a fact of life though that the vast majority of people do make choices about what they want to eat or drink, without being addicted to those foods or drinks :smile3:

I find it a bit weird that so many people have a regular need for alcohol (many people nightly). I think its an addiction but that doesn't make them an alcoholic (unless they totally overdo it). I'm sick of people thinking I'm the weird one because I very rarely drink alcohol! Very odd culture we live in... And I also don't get why people would choose to drink whilst pregnant, it common sense that it wont be good for the baby surely?

Evie91

Visit site
If you google - red balloon training, fetal alcohol disorder - this was the training I went on. It was an eye opener!
I had been ambivalent about alcohol in pregnancy before attending this.
1 in 100 babies in the uk effected by FAS

Patterdale

Visit site
I'm honestly amazed at people disputing the reality and prevalence of FAS! I have worked with children with this condition - it exists!
It's not scaremongering to bring it to people's attention - you don't have to be a heavy drinker.
A fetus is developing every single day, alcohol does effect development. What if you just hit the wrong day and interfere with the development of something vital. IMO not worth the risk.

Totally agree. I'm actually lost for words at the cavalier attitude some people take to proven medical advice. Each to their own but IMO women who choose to flout this PROVEN advice need to remember that it's not necessarily THEIR health they are affecting. Surely when you're considering the vital development of another human being, which will affect it's whole life, it's better to be safe than sorry?

As an aside, I have at least two friends who have admitted to carrying on drinking with their first, but NOT with their second - once they really realised what it was that they were risking.

Daytona

Visit site
My midwife said to me when I asked if I could have 1 odd drink on occasion or was it a no no.

She said.

If you wouldn’t give a 2-month-old a glass of wine, then why would you drink a glass of wine when you’re pregnant?”

This sumed it up for me and I decided that I would stay off drink till after baby born.

3 months to go and I'm counting down the days ha ha

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
The advice on the NHS website says; The Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RCOG) says the safest option for women is not to drink at all during pregnancy, but adds that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy (not more than one to two units once or twice a week) have not been shown to be harmful

Thank goodness I had my children years ago when you could eat what you liked and have the occasional drink without any fuss.
In fact, it's incredible that the human race didn't die out before having a baby become a full time job, instead of a natural part of a woman's life.
Nor did anyone bat an eye when my unborn babies enjoyed a nice ride on a summer's evening either. Probably lulled them to sleep.

Jez, some of you are so OTT.

Mongoose11

Visit site
The advice on the NHS website says; The Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RCOG) says the safest option for women is not to drink at all during pregnancy, but adds that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy (not more than one to two units once or twice a week) have not been shown to be harmful

Thank goodness I had my children years ago when you could eat what you liked and have the occasional drink without any fuss.
In fact, it's incredible that the human race didn't die out before having a baby become a full time job, instead of a natural part of a woman's life.
Nor did anyone bat an eye when my unborn babies enjoyed a nice ride on a summer's evening either. Probably lulled them to sleep.

Jez, some of you are so OTT.

There's at least one pregnant board user admitting to using more than the recommended 1-2 units no more than once or twice a week; in fact the amount discussed is approximately twice the recognised 'safe' level. Clearly that is against the guidelines quoted above, and therefore putting a baby at greater risk of the dangers of FAS. That's ok with you?

Yes, I am the woman who speaks out when she sees a pregnant woman smoking too!

All the 'years ago' bull needs to stop too. 'Years ago' infant mortality was through the roof...

Last edited:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
There's at least one pregnant board user admitting to using more than 1-2 units more than once or twice a week, or least that's the impression given. Clearly that is against the guidelines quoted above, and therefore putting a baby at greater risk of the dangers of FAS. That's ok with you?

Yes, I am the woman who speaks out when she sees a pregnant woman smoking too!

When information is realistic and moderate, rather than banned, there's a better likelihood that the advice will be manageable.

No, I do not speak out when I see a pregnant woman having a cigarette. They usually look incredibly guilty and are waiting for an outraged telling off. In my experience, upsetting people makes the habit more difficult to break. People aren't perfect, and if a 20 a day smoker can cut down to the occasional cigarette, that's massively better. without external pressure, she has a better chance of giving up altogether.
Quite honestly, the happiest babies have mothers who are tolerant and kind to other people, rather than uptight, self righteous and intolerant mothers.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Quite honestly, the happiest babies have mothers who are tolerant and kind to other people, rather than uptight, self righteous and intolerant mothers.

I'm not sure of the relevance of this part. Are you suggesting that I am uptight, self righteous and intolerant because I don't think it is right to drink or smoke during pregnancy? You must be because I can't find the appropriate link to anything else.

Has the world gone mad? Thinking that smoking and drinking while pregnant is wrong means the person is self righteous and intolerant?

No 'crossness' here, just suprise.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
My God MUMSET to a tee, yes Mongoose11 you are uptight, it's none of you business if a pregnant woman has a fag or glass of wine, it's their choose, not yours or mine , theirs. The orignal post was about a pregnant woman riding and again that is up to the woman.

Mongoose11

Visit site
My God MUMSET to a tee, yes Mongoose11 you are uptight, it's none of you business if a pregnant woman has a fag or glass of wine, it's their choose, not yours or mine , theirs. The orignal post was about a pregnant woman riding and again that is up to the woman.

Calm down dear, it's just a discussion. It's ok that I disagree with those that think drinking while pregnant is ok. I think it's clear that the thread has taken a turn regarding the riding while pregnant/drinking while pregnant bit. Just for the record, I did reply to the riding issue earlier but thank you for attempting to keep us on track. I don't think it's completely uptight and unreasonable to hope that pregnant women would follow the advice of medical experts in order to best protect their babies. I really don't.

The OP was about the woman being able to ride MY horse while pregnant and that's my decision - not hers, actually.

Last edited:

Fides

Visit site
I'm not sure of the relevance of this part. Are you suggesting that I am uptight, self righteous and intolerant because I don't think it is right to drink or smoke during pregnancy? You must be because I can't find the appropriate link to anything else.

Has the world gone mad? Thinking that smoking and drinking while pregnant is wrong means the person is self righteous and intolerant?

No 'crossness' here, just suprise.

I too am a little surprised that those who have the welfare of the baby in mind, rather than the pleasure of the mother, are thought of in a bad light. Perhaps those so vocal in this manner are trying to justify their behaviour when pregant? I don't know why - that is the only reason I can think of...

Echo Bravo

Visit site
One thing I hate is someone telling me to calm down Dear, when I answer a post, when I am calm maybe it's the way I come over when replying, but you did say you tell a woman that was pregnant who was having a drink not to because of the baby and again I say what the woman does is none of yours or mine business.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I too am a little surprised that those who have the welfare of the baby in mind, rather than the pleasure of the mother, are thought of in a bad light.

Ooh isn't it funny how people take things differently? From what I've read, it's the anti-doing anything while you're pregnant posters who are almost verging on being aggressive. You've made your point (many many times now), others have a different viewpoint, end of story.

It's starting to feel a bit like having the Jehovah Witnesses knocking on your front door and the Mormons banging on the back door now lol!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I don't think it's completely uptight and unreasonable to hope that pregnant women would follow the advice of medical experts in order to best protect their babies. I really don't.

Is the advice of the Royal Collage of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists not expert enough for you then when they state that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy have not been shown to be harmful.

paddi22

Visit site
I wouldn't feel I have the right to judge anyone regarding their choices over their own body or their future child's. I wouldn't see why it's my business and it seems to be people projecting their own issues on other people from what I can see? I mean this as a genuine question but why are people so worried about others babies? Millions of babies die in foreign countries because of war or famine, yet people seem to get more worked up about babies whose mothers don't behave in a way they believe they should.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Is the advice of the Royal Collage of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists not expert enough for you then when they state that small amounts of alcohol in pregnancy have not been shown to be harmful.

I haven't reacted badly to people suggesting that the guidelines be followed - it's what I would prefer if women were to drink at all. My thoughts were regarding women who drink more than is recommended.