Would you take offence at this?

TGM

Visit site
So I don't think I will have any more trouble from this lady! This morning YO told me that she had asked him to speak to me about the 'state' of my horses, which of course he said were fine. I had the vet today doing teeth and told him about it, so when we saw her he asked me to call her over, said that he understood that she has concerns, and could she tell him what they are.

She proceeded to go into a lengthy explanation about how hard my horses work, and how good-doer has his hay in "one of those nets with holes that are far too small, he can't even get a proper mouthful". Vet was very polite and professional, showed her each of my horses one by one and explained how to look for good condition in a horse. Told her that all are healthy weight, poor doer could gain a bit now Spring is here but is certainly not underweight, good doer and other about right but that he advises me to continue to be vigilant, especially with good doer. Explained reasons behind soaking hay and using small holed haynets etc. I know I should not feel smug, but I could not help but be pleased when he said that in his opinion they were all great and that he wishes all his clients would be so diligent.

The lady then said that she does not understand it because "everyone says what good condition my horse is in and he is much rounder". So of course he asked her to bring the horse. He was not unkind, but he is quite a direct man. Told her that the horse is obese, that she has to stop listening to friends who say everything is fine, and gave her a long list of illnesses and injuries that she is risking by not managing his weight. Also told her that seeing a nutritionist sent by a food company is pointless as the horse just needs less food and more work.

So I hope that she is now happy, and maybe she will even do something about her own horse. Maybe buy him 'one of those nets with holes that are far too small' for a start!

I love your vet!

Winters100

Visit site
Yes, I also love my vet. He lives 20 minutes from the yard and is also a friend. He is a professor who writes a lot of articles for professional publications, and I help him to put them into good English. He is so wonderful with my horses, when they have been undergoing treatment he has often popped in just to check them without making any charge, and if he is on the yard for another horse he always takes a look at mine. Will come anytime of day or night for an emergency - really I am very lucky:)

Winters100

Visit site
Your vet sounds great. How did the lady react?

Well she was at first a bit argumentative, saying that to her they look poor etc, but when he gave her the list of illnesses caused by excess weight she did seem to take it in. I hope so, because it does not really matter what she thinks of my horses, but she seriously needs to help her own. It will be a sharp learning curve for her as she is a very nervous rider, mainly walks and trots, so she will have to manage things very well to avoid problems.

Winters100

Visit site
How lovely of your vet.

No pressure at all, but it would be great to see what your horses look like - if only to look at my own more realistically.

I was thinking this today that I should take some up to date side on photos to show my 'skinny' horses. I have some which are a bit old, but which show same condition as today, so I will share them.

windand rain

Visit site
I think the analogy my vet gave me for labradors is equally relevant for horses od all shapes and sized
If you run your flat hand over the ribs and either you cannot feel them or they feel covered in a duvet they are obese
If you can feel the ribs and they feel like they are covered in a blanket they are overweight
If you can feel ribs but feel like they are covered by a sheet then thats the perfect weight
If they feel no covering they are thin
If your fingers fit between the ribs like piano keys they are too thin
if your finger fit so the back of them is level with the rib they are emaciated
Works well with cobs and labradors so would be fitting for any animal I expect. It also allows for variation in type as you are looking at the ribcage not the whole horse
Wow Winter they look absolutely perfect and very healthy with it mine look distinctly scruffy and moth eaten due to losing winter coats

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think the analogy my vet gave me for labradors is equally relevant for horses od all shapes and sized
If you run your flat hand over the ribs and either you cannot feel them or they feel covered in a duvet they are obese
If you can feel the ribs and they feel like they are covered in a blanket they are overweight
If you can feel ribs but feel like they are covered by a sheet then thats the perfect weight
If they feel no covering they are thin
If your fingers fit between the ribs like piano keys they are too thin
if your finger fit so the back of them is level with the rib they are emaciated
Works well with cobs and labradors so would be fitting for any animal I expect. It also allows for variation in type as you are looking at the ribcage not the whole horse
Wow Winter they look absolutely perfect and very healthy with it mine look distinctly scruffy and moth eaten due to losing winter coats

My gelding is fatter this spring than he has ever been. He has always carried more fat on his front end and back end while the middle (ribcage) is his leanest area. He's actually started to get a crest recently (steps have been taken to combat this) but he still has very easy to feel ribs.

Interestingly I once posted a photo of him on here at a good, healthy weight and was asked if he was an RSPCA case *le sigh* because of how his body distributes fat, meaning that you could see that he has ribs.

Winters100

Visit site
It's a shame but so few (me included) have the time to get them properly fit I think everyone is just accustomed to seeing show condition on the brink of laminitis horses.
I would LOVE to have the time and energy to get mine looking as fit, shiny and well as yours - well done

I know, I really do appreciate how lucky I am to have the time, and of course it has not always been the case. I would never criticise anyone who was struggling with their horses weight and doing their best, because I know it is not easy. It was just with this lady that she was so sure that her horse was fine and mine were neglected, which when you are putting huge effort in with a good doer is a bit galling!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Here you go Winters, this is the photo I was talking about. He was a growing youngster here and the Vet was really happy with his weight then. Now he's older and the same vet called him chubby a few days ago. :( He still puts weight on over the ribs last. It's actually pretty shocking how quickly his neck went from normal to having the start of a hard crest. I now know that's the area to keep a real close eye on with him.

Attachments

• Prince lambs.jpg
    Prince lambs.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 63

Winters100

Visit site
Here you go Winters, this is the photo I was talking about. He was a growing youngster here and the Vet was really happy with his weight then. Now he's older and the same vet called him chubby a few days ago. :( He still puts weight on over the ribs last. It's actually pretty shocking how quickly his neck went from normal to having the start of a hard crest. I now know that's the area to keep a real close eye on with him.

I have to say that I agree with your vet - of course it is not a close up but to me he looks just fine in this photo. Some horses are just ribby.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So I don't think I will have any more trouble from this lady! This morning YO told me that she had asked him to speak to me about the 'state' of my horses, which of course he said were fine. I had the vet today doing teeth and told him about it, so when we saw her he asked me to call her over, said that he understood that she has concerns, and could she tell him what they are.

She proceeded to go into a lengthy explanation about how hard my horses work, and how good-doer has his hay in "one of those nets with holes that are far too small, he can't even get a proper mouthful". Vet was very polite and professional, showed her each of my horses one by one and explained how to look for good condition in a horse. Told her that all are healthy weight, poor doer could gain a bit now Spring is here but is certainly not underweight, good doer and other about right but that he advises me to continue to be vigilant, especially with good doer. Explained reasons behind soaking hay and using small holed haynets etc. I know I should not feel smug, but I could not help but be pleased when he said that in his opinion they were all great and that he wishes all his clients would be so diligent.

The lady then said that she does not understand it because "everyone says what good condition my horse is in and he is much rounder". So of course he asked her to bring the horse. He was not unkind, but he is quite a direct man. Told her that the horse is obese, that she has to stop listening to friends who say everything is fine, and gave her a long list of illnesses and injuries that she is risking by not managing his weight. Also told her that seeing a nutritionist sent by a food company is pointless as the horse just needs less food and more work.

So I hope that she is now happy, and maybe she will even do something about her own horse. Maybe buy him 'one of those nets with holes that are far too small' for a start!

Please give your vet a big metaphorical kiss from me ???

Archangel

Visit site
So I don't think I will have any more trouble from this lady!

I'm glad the whole vet thing happened but Red Flag this woman in your mind as a troublemaker. She has been at your yard 5 minutes, she has the YO, you, your vet, dancing round her.

She's got a ruddy nerve, going to the yard owner, judging your haynets, judging how hard your horses work.