WWYD -Livery Issues

dorsetladette

Visit site
At the beginning of the year I decided to advertise for grass livery. My Ideal was one person with 2 geldings. Lady contacted me who had a mare and a gelding, but assured my mare was not mareish. (would be turned out with my 2 boys). She turned up with just the mare as had decided to put gelding out on loan.
Asked lots of questions and happy with the answers I received.

It's not working - we agreed she would find alternative grazing. We also agreed that the end of September would be the limit. She's still there.

Pony has wrecked every fence I have, my shelter, has attached a sheep and another one was suspiciously lame for several weeks. Owner now not showing up, has changed her number and is not replying or reading my fb messages even though I can see her online. Also not answering my FB calls. I've been feeding pony for the last 3 months, rent is constantly late and now she hasn't paid for any hay fed in September.

How do I get her gone? OH wants to tether the pony to save any more damage, which I don't want to do, but I can't keep my ponies away from the oak trees while mare keeps going through all the fencing. I've already lost a sheep to acorn poisoning :(

Help!!

jnb

Visit site
Send a recorded delivery letter stating what she owes and that unless the horse is removed and monies owed paid, you will be contacting x charity to take it away as an abandoned/ welfare case. How much does she owe?
Tethering is an option, and advise her in the above letter (get a solicitor involved if you feel you need to) that after xxx day, the horse will be tethered as it's caused £xxxx of damage to your property.
Cheeky mare.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Send a recorded delivery letter stating what she owes and that unless the horse is removed and monies owed paid, you will be contacting x charity to take it away as an abandoned/ welfare case. How much does she owe?
Tethering is an option, and advise her in the above letter (get a solicitor involved if you feel you need to) that after xxx day, the horse will be tethered as it's caused £xxxx of damage to your property.
Cheeky mare.

A charity won't take the pony but I would send a letter giving her a time limit to pay and collect, if you still hear nothing you do an abandonment notice then you are allowed to sell the pony on, this happened to a neighbour of mine the owner went abroad and dumped the horse.

P.forpony

Visit site
Yep as above really, make sure you have all photos of damage receipts for repairs etc.
You may not want the hassle of taking it further, but if it gets to that point you’ll need all the evidence you can.

Just to add I’m so sorry your in this awful situation. It makes my blood boil!
I’m the other party in my situation. Incredibly lucky to be the only outsider keeping mine at YOs home.

We were introduced by a mutual friend and it’s developed into a wonderful friendship of its own with the whole families on both sides.
We both benefit enormously from it, sharing duties holiday help etc.
So we’re not all nightmares I promise!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I didn't think for a second that a charity would take it, just the threat of you contacting one?
I can't believe people are such freeloading arses - so angry on your behalf!

So true people just take the p I would just tèll her it will be sold to cover livery costs

dorsetladette

Visit site
What she owes is trivial. I have already warned her that the only option is to tether the pony if it continues to break fencing. OH has got a peg and chain off a friend.

I feel like I've been to soft as I would never see a pony go hungry. I've fed hay to try an keep the fencing up. I admit I have very little grass, but I can't rest any ground to let it grow as she goes through the fencing.

I just get a flaky apology from her but no date to move or plan. I've got transport on standby for her when she pulls her finger out.

Polos Mum

Visit site
OP I feel for you, something similar happened to me with a friend of a friend. Two issues that need to be dealt with separately. If you are a BHS member contact their legal helpline for accurate legal advice.

I would think an abandonment notice put up on site and sent to her is a good first step. You can then sell the pony (or PTS if it's worthless) at least it will be gone.
In my case I threatened to load them up into the trailer and drop them off in her garden (I would have done that and she knew it) - so she turned up within the hour and lead them away down the road - no idea where they ended up (and no wish to know either).

In terms of getting your money back - harder but starting a small claims court claim is simple, cheap and online - you haven't got anything to lose. (but I never got my money back from freeloader).

Polos Mum

Visit site
I forgot but mine's worst was my husband's birthday when hers smashed through the fencing (weeks after they were supposed to be gone) - she wasn't answering her phone (as usual), we spent hours catching them, fixing all the fencing, dinner ruined. I told her when i next saw her and the response was "oh"

No sorry nothing - made me so angry it was 5 years before I let even a friend share fields again!

dorsetladette

Visit site
I just want the pony gone. Honestly the feed and hay money is gone I know I wont get it back. livery for September was 2 weeks late and £2 short (£88 instead of £90) and no hay money. So small claims isn't worth it.

I just want her off - I would like another livery, but this is OH first experience of one so as you can imagine he is not keen.

I used the BHS agreement so I should be covered, right? I know a lot of it was not relevant to my set up but I didn't take anything out in case i took to much out and made it useless.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Depending on how you want to behave
1) If you know where she lives I would honestly drop the pony off there - tethered if necessary to make it safe.

2) serve an abandonment notice - google it to find the right words - the BHS website has step by step details, Sellotape to your gate (where she should see it if she came) It is 4 working days - so if you print it now the pony is yours by Wednesday morning. So in parallel I would advertise it for sale with a comment that it can't be collected until Wednesday (that may well prompt her to collect)

WandaMare

Visit site
Do you know what her plans are? Not that its your job to do but the only way I got rid of one of mine was finding an alternative livery space and telling the owner what day the horse was moving. Obviously I told the new yard the issues with the horse which they were better set up to deal with. The owner had been telling me there were no vacancies which turned out to be nonsense so I organised the move and then told her the arrangements. I was also left with damaged fencing and unpaid bills which she never put right but by the time she went I was just so glad I didn't care about the money. I actually felt sorry for the horse having such an irresponsible owner, most of its problems were caused by neglect and lack of any routine at all.

She behaved a lot better at the new yard because there were more people around to see what she was doing. I think one of the problems of having one livery at home is that they think they can do what they like and get away with it. I was like you, I ended up looking after the horse as if it was one of my own because I wasn't prepared to see it suffer, but she knew I would do that and took full advantage of it.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Serve abandonment notice with time frame if not gone within that time then either sell it or give it away or call a charity saying a horse has been abandoned on your land and you are in no position to keep it. You are not obliged to keep other people’s animals for them.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I forgot but mine's worst was my husband's birthday when hers smashed through the fencing (weeks after they were supposed to be gone) - she wasn't answering her phone (as usual), we spent hours catching them, fixing all the fencing, dinner ruined. I told her when i next saw her and the response was "oh"

No sorry nothing - made me so angry it was 5 years before I let even a friend share fields again!

Her worst (apart from pinning the sheep down and attacking it) was late one evening. We were just leaving, put the electric stock fencing back up around the gate, caravan etc (use it to keep the sheep away from the gate while driving in and out) just as we went to turn it on she crashed through it, put her back, fixed all the broken bits (not cheap stuff) turned it on and she did it again. we put the fence up 3 times that evening - and you guessed it, it was all broken the following morning.

I often get phone calls from the neighbours thinking that she will get out as she is leaning so hard in the external barbwire fencing they think its going to snap.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Text owner and tell her you’ve arranged for the pony to be collected tomorrow to be shipped off to the local (?) abattoir.... The money you receive for it will settle the outstanding bill, the rest will be set aside for her to collect.

If that doesn’t get a response......!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Do you know what her plans are? Not that its your job to do but the only way I got rid of one of mine was finding an alternative livery space and telling the owner what day the horse was moving. Obviously I told the new yard the issues with the horse which they were better set up to deal with. The owner had been telling me there were no vacancies which turned out to be nonsense so I organised the move and then told her the arrangements. I was also left with damaged fencing and unpaid bills which she never put right but by the time she went I was just so glad I didn't care about the money. I actually felt sorry for the horse having such an irresponsible owner, most of its problems were caused by neglect and lack of any routine at all.

She behaved a lot better at the new yard because there were more people around to see what she was doing. I think one of the problems of having one livery at home is that they think they can do what they like and get away with it. I was like you, I ended up looking after the horse as if it was one of my own because I wasn't prepared to see it suffer, but she knew I would do that and took full advantage of it.

Apparently she has found somewhere - I think she got sick of me sending her adverts for grazing and livery yards to be honest. waiting for fencing to be fixed apparently, but this has gone on for weeks now.

Honestly if it was mine I'd be up there working it so hard it was to knackered to worry about causing trouble. Before the acorns started to fall I opened up all 3 fields in an attempt to stop her going through fencing, but even with the gates open she was still going through fencing (literally right next to the gate) I don't get it.

WandaMare

Visit site
Yes I think the horses start playing up for attention because they are so badly neglected with these people. I asked my livery to buy some additional electric fencing because I had used all mine trying to contain her horse and she point blank refused saying it was my cost not hers. The post and rail fencing had always been enough for my horses. The problem is you end up paying all the costs and putting up with the grief and it puts you off completely in the end. Most of the liveries I had which didn't work out lied about why they were moving to me in the first place, so if you do decide to have another one, I would evidence their livery history before even considering them. The bad ones have probably been thrown off all the local yards at some point.

Visit site
Apparently she has found somewhere - I think she got sick of me sending her adverts for grazing and livery yards to be honest. waiting for fencing to be fixed apparently, but this has gone on for weeks now.

Honestly if it was mine I'd be up there working it so hard it was to knackered to worry about causing trouble. Before the acorns started to fall I opened up all 3 fields in an attempt to stop her going through fencing, but even with the gates open she was still going through fencing (literally right next to the gate) I don't get it.
Nail her down on the moving date - get it in writing.

Any woolliness - serve notice immediately