WWYD - Tripping

ponyparty

Visit site
So sorry to read this. I was hoping for a (much) better outcome. My heart goes out to you. You've done everything you can; it's just absolutely rotten luck. These horses sure know how to break our hearts.
Go easy on yourself xx

BBP

Visit site
I am desperately sorry to hear this. You have my deepest sympathy. Why is it that this ort of thing always happens to the nicest horses with the most caring owners.

Sadly I don’t think it does. I think the horses with the uncaring owners just have to carry on and endure until they become ‘not nice’ horses. J is very lucky to have his owner for sure.

For what it’s worth, yes, I would retire if he was mine. If he was happy and not a danger to himself or others. With mine, I am happy to keep him and forgoe ever riding again BUT I’m in a position where I can keep him how I want. He never needs to be stabled, he’s always out with friends on good ground, and I can do his daily massage etc easily. No one would blame you if you decide to call time. He won’t know, it’s just another day to him. Big hugs.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
DM, this is the video which you posted before you got the ataxia diagnosis. You've also posted threads about finding him in a muck sweat after galloping around the field. If you combine the two things then this, to me, is a horse which you could find dead with a broken neck, or worse alive with a broken leg, at any time. That isn't something I could cope with, personally. My wobbler was PTS on a glorious day when he was as happy as a lark just after I got a definitive diagnosis.

I'm so sorry you are facing such a horrible decision, whether you do it sooner or later.

Indeed... that is my concern.

I have actually booked a 2nd opinion vet to come to my yard. Possibly a waste of money, but I want to see the tests they do so I can see for myself what he is doing.

I am really having to battle against a lot of people at the minute who have opinions (i.e. he is fine and I need to stop overthinking it all, or complicating it with professionals i.e. vets!). I'm desperately trying to do the best for him.

I've asked for my OH to have the time off to be with me for the vet as he will probably think of questions I wont as he is non-horsey.

I do keep looking at the weather for a nice day.... but I cant quite commit at the minute.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site

I have actually booked a 2nd opinion vet to come to my yard. Possibly a waste of money, but I want to see the tests they do so I can see for myself what he is doing.

I am really having to battle against a lot of people at the minute who have opinions (i.e. he is fine and I need to stop overthinking it all, or complicating it with professionals i.e. vets!). I'm desperately trying to do the best for him.

I've asked for my OH to have the time off to be with me for the vet as he will probably think of questions I wont as he is non-horsey.

I do keep looking at the weather for a nice day.... but I cant quite commit at the minute.
So sorry to hear the update OP. Please ignore the stupid people with their uneducated, unnecessary and unwanted opinions. The only opinions that matter are yours and the professionals.

BBP

Visit site
It’s so bloody hard. With BBP he was having trouble getting up, we didn’t know why but for most people that is when you call time. I put him in a stable one night to keep him away from the others as they were trying to get him to play. I went up in the morning and found the bed was completely trashed and both his front legs were swollen around the front suspensory branches. He must have fallen trying to get up in a confined space. It was horrendous. And was enough to get me to make that decision as it was my worst fear realised, him injuring himself trying to get up and me not around.

Now for BBP he got a sudden reprieve. The swelling went down within 24hrs and wasn’t strained suspensories afterall. I turned him out in the sand arena so he had more space and a good surface whilst I built myself up for the deed. And then like magic he got up properly, over and over again. For me I was lucky as it’s not neuro so he has earned more time.

I guess I’m telling you this to say that the ‘find them injured getting up’ is a reality.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
It’s so bloody hard. With BBP he was having trouble getting up, we didn’t know why but for most people that is when you call time. I put him in a stable one night to keep him away from the others as they were trying to get him to play. I went up in the morning and found the bed was completely trashed and both his front legs were swollen around the front suspensory branches. He must have fallen trying to get up in a confined space. It was horrendous. And was enough to get me to make that decision as it was my worst fear realised, him injuring himself trying to get up and me not around.

Now for BBP he got a sudden reprieve. The swelling went down within 24hrs and wasn’t strained suspensories afterall. I turned him out in the sand arena so he had more space and a good surface whilst I built myself up for the deed. And then like magic he got up properly, over and over again. For me I was lucky as it’s not neuro so he has earned more time.

I guess I’m telling you this to say that the ‘find them injured getting up’ is a reality.

And this is why I am taking it seriously and not just chucking out in a field and visiting every now and then.

Hand that feeds

New User
Visit site
And this is why I am taking it seriously and not just chucking out in a field and visiting every now and then.

Sorry to hear you are being pulled in different directions - you are doing a very good job , the phrase “ to thine own self be true “ springs to mind. Good Luck

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Unfortunately a sad update. I had a 2nd vet opinion on Monday which was very helpful for me to see what the vets had been seeing. After a discussion it was agreed that the kindest thing would be to pts.

Johnny went to sleep today after enjoying lots of treats and cuddles.

I'm heartbroken but hopefully in time I will remember it was the right thing for him.

Didn't help with the yard "experts" and their helpful comments about how he "isn't that bad" and its "such a shame" to pts as he is only 6. Someone even commented 30 mins before the vet came and asked "what about being a companion"..... Jesus......

Anyway..... he is galloping around up there eating everything and anything :(

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
So sorry to hear this Dyllymoo and I am so angry at those stupid yard morons on your behalf.

Get a takeaway, eat a load of chocolate, drink a load of wine/gin/poison of choice, pop a guilty pleasure on the tv and have a good wallow.

You did what was best for him, that takes a lot of courage and it is the final, greatest gift we can give our animals.

View

Visit site
So sorry that people have been so unkind.

It's hard, but as owners this one final act of kindness is the greatest gift we can give them.

For now, be kind to yourself, allow yourself to grieve for your friend while you heal. In time, the pain becomes less raw and you will be able to remember the good times.