WWYD - Tripping

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I posted earlier in the thread about similar issues that we had with my old horse with neck arthritis. He also started slipping on his back end (admittedly on exceptionally slippy tarmac) and actually went over on me on the road. Miraculously we were both unhurt bar a very bruised foot on my part, however that was pure luck. We just had to get road nails or retire him, even if we had some concerns around concussion. They made a huge difference to his way of going - with more confidence in his own feet he immediately started striding out better and as a result his arthritis was easier to manage. A horse moving stuffily will always be a bit stiff after all. In your shoes I would give them a go.

I completely understand how overwhelmed you feel. Just take it one step at a time - road nails are a small change that could make a big difference. If they don't, you can stop putting them in and little harm will be done. In the meantime, I would probably avoid riding him downhill as he will feel as nervous as you about it. Don't lose heart yet, I promise it can get better.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Don’t despair re: slipping on the back. Exactly the same thing happened to mine when remedially shod (at great expense!) for the first time. In the next set, the farrier used a more concave shoe and it completely stopped the slipping- it was an easy and instant fix For the slipping.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Don’t despair re: slipping on the back. Exactly the same thing happened to mine when remedially shod (at great expense!) for the first time. In the next set, the farrier used a more concave shoe and it completely stopped the slipping- it was an easy and instant fix For the slipping.
ETA- my first thought was also road nails, so I was sceptical about just changing shoe type
But it really worked ;-)

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Farrier is going to put road nails on next time he comes (2 weeks on Friday). Physio is coming on Monday and has advised to keep working him.

He didn't seem his happy self this morning out on our walk and he tripped (slightly not big trips) a few times and slid behind a few times. I feel so bad for him, he doesn't seem like he enjoys going out for rides any more.

I feel so sick with worry.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's really hard to be objective when you're worried about them but from what you're saying I would be pretty concerned too :(
does physio know he's still tripping? it's really awkward when you don't have all your professionals joined up together.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
it's really hard to be objective when you're worried about them but from what you're saying I would be pretty concerned too :(
does physio know he's still tripping? it's really awkward when you don't have all your professionals joined up together.

I did say he has the odd trip but he isn't going forward either, so potentially could be that, but I think I am making up excuses for it.

I've let the physio know about the tripping. I'm sat in tears at my desk as I hate all this so much.

ponyparty

Visit site
My heart goes out to you, it really does. You're doing everything you possibly can for him; you're clearly such a caring owner, he's a lucky boy. It's hard to stay positive in a situation like this (I know!) but try not to assume the worst. Could be many things - he's probably using his whole body differently with these new shoes and rebalanced feet landing differently, he's having to get used to that, for starters! We're all rooting for him here x

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The trouble is he might not be 'walking on' because he can't so it is connected to the tripping rather than being the cause of it. Not all scan results are proportional to the effect they have, I know that too well as someone who scans apparently fine but definitely isn't. See what the physio says but it doesn't seem like he's had much improvement from pre medication?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
The trouble is he might not be 'walking on' because he can't so it is connected to the tripping rather than being the cause of it. Not all scan results are proportional to the effect they have, I know that too well as someone who scans apparently fine but definitely isn't. See what the physio says but it doesn't seem like he's had much improvement from pre medication?

I agree with that. He was medicated middle of September and doesn't seem any different. Before his shoes he seemed better, striding out hacking. But now he seems reluctant at best. Even downhill when he would storm home he isn't as forward.

I'm honestly the saddest I think I have been through all this.

Bernster

Visit site
I’m really sorry you’re having a rough time of it. Can’t offer any help, just wanted to send you a virtual hug. Things are crappy generally this year and a lot of the usual things that keep us happy or in good mental,health aren’t available, so I think lots of us are struggling to cope. Horses are such a big part of our lives, and when it’s not going well it can be really tough. I hope things get better for you but you’re obv giving him the best chance you can.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I’m really sorry you’re having a rough time of it. Can’t offer any help, just wanted to send you a virtual hug. Things are crappy generally this year and a lot of the usual things that keep us happy or in good mental,health aren’t available, so I think lots of us are struggling to cope. Horses are such a big part of our lives, and when it’s not going well it can be really tough. I hope things get better for you but you’re obv giving him the best chance you can.

Thank you. I honestly would just give up horses at this point. If I could sell him I would (but I wont as he has medical issues and I cant guarantee someone wouldn't sell him on etc.) but I genuinely have been thinking how much happier I would be without horses in my life. I've written the for sale ad for my little lorry as well.... I genuinely cant do all this any more :(

Last edited:

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Little update. Physio has been and can see something not right in his left stifle. He is not quite sound on it.

We are (hopefully.... stupid lockdown) going to the vets on Monday for them to nerve block that area and see if it helps.

Physio did say his front end is looking amazing and his shoes have really changed his stance (for the better) and he is muscling up in the right places.

She said his neck is super and he can flex well and so the steroids have worked there. Which was a massive worry of mine.

So yes off to the vets next week for a discussion and check of his stifle area.

I also came down with tonsillitis at the end of last week.... explains why I felt so awful and like I couldn't cope with anything.

Sorry for being such an idiot about all of this. Hopefully we can get J comfortable and see what the next stage is.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Dropped J off at the vets this morning for his check into his stifle.

He has been really hot recently, he isn't coping with his thick fur and the temperatures of 16 degrees. He was agitated in the box and that really isn't him :(

Need to wait to hear from the vet now and go from there.

At least I'm at work to pass the time.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I don't want to speak out of turn here, but please look after yourself and be careful around J. He sounds extremely unstable on his feet, and I'm glad you're not riding him anymore as I remember the video you posted of him tripping and thinking that could have been a seriously nasty accident for you both.

It's very clear you're doing your absolute best in trying to get to the bottom of things, but you also sound so unhappy and stressed. I know how you're feeling and it's such a weight on your shoulders. I just want you to know that you don't have to keep going if you've had enough. No one would begrudge you for calling it a day. It sounds like there's a lot of different things going on and some of them won't ever get better.

It's VERY hard to make the call and I know that because I agonised over it for weeks and weeks. I changed my mind on a near daily basis. Milo didn't even have anywhere near as much going on as what J did but frankly I was spent after a year of worrying about him and things only ever getting worse and not better. I had the 'advantage' that trying to ride him would usually result in him practically turning himself inside out which meant I also got to a point where it was only a matter of time that I came off and seriously hurt myself.

There will always be one more thing to try, one more thing to try to diagnose but that doesn't always mean it's right. A question I asked myself a lot was 'Just because I can, does it mean I should?'. I knew what I would have advised anyone else and the hardest part was following through with that myself.

I'll hold my hands up and fully admit that I am no where near as... dedicated (for want of a better word) in going the whole hog diagnosing and treating horses with degenerative conditions - part of that is because I'm a pessimist and usually quite pragmatic and another is that I don't always believe that's what the horse would choose. My opinion from what you've written and shown us is that J sounds like quite an unhappy, stressed horse.

This is a very long and possibly morbid post so I apologise if what I have written upsets you, but at the time I wanted someone to just say it's okay to let go; you're not 'giving up'. You're making a decision in your best interest and in the interest of your horse.

I miss Milo a lot, but I have not spent a single second regretting my decision, FWIW. I have much more clarity on the situation now I'm not spending my days in a fog of worry and stress. You have a whole forum of people supporting whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Its not good news. Unfortunately he showed some obvious neurological signs today and they were neck related. Vet has advised she didn't think the injections into his neck have really worked and that unfortunately this shows that he does have some impingement on his spinal chord. I didn't see this in the CT report but she did say she looked it over and it actually said that the dye stuff didn't actually go deep enough that they could tell if there was an impingement. She said there definitely is from how he was today.

She has advised that I have 3 options:

1) carry on rehabbing, she is very much advising against this due to the fact he didn't know where his front feet were this morning. She advised whilst she cannot tell me he definitely will have an accident that she thinks its a risk not worth taking for either of us.

2) Retirement

3) PTS

Obviously I'm heartbroken. She is going to give me a call back on Thursday to give me time to digest everything she has explained and to ask any questions I may have, which I thought was extremely kind of her.

My OH wants a second opinion, which I'm happy to do but I have to be careful with regards to £ and how far we go.

He is such a kind soul its really upsetting.

But there we go....

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Its not good news. Unfortunately he showed some obvious neurological signs today and they were neck related. Vet has advised she didn't think the injections into his neck have really worked and that unfortunately this shows that he does have some impingement on his spinal chord. I didn't see this in the CT report but she did say she looked it over and it actually said that the dye stuff didn't actually go deep enough that they could tell if there was an impingement. She said there definitely is from how he was today.

She has advised that I have 3 options:

1) carry on rehabbing, she is very much advising against this due to the fact he didn't know where his front feet were this morning. She advised whilst she cannot tell me he definitely will have an accident that she thinks its a risk not worth taking for either of us.

2) Retirement

3) PTS

Obviously I'm heartbroken. She is going to give me a call back on Thursday to give me time to digest everything she has explained and to ask any questions I may have, which I thought was extremely kind of her.

My OH wants a second opinion, which I'm happy to do but I have to be careful with regards to £ and how far we go.

He is such a kind soul its really upsetting.

But there we go....

I’m so sorry to read your latest update. You really don’t deserve the bad luck you have had with horses. All I can offer you is a big hug. Take care of yourself. xx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Sorry Dylly, I kept checking that he'd had no impingement on the scan as what you described sounded like there would be so sadly that makes more sense with this vets description. Give yourself some time to decide what to do.