YO advice how to evict a livery

PrivateCLW

New User
Visit site
Hi all, I’m looking for advice on the best way to get a livery to ‘move on’. He never breaks a rule and on paper should be the perfect person but he is a control freak, only speaks to certain others that he feels are ‘below’ him in rank, and generally creates a nasty, poisonous atmosphere. It’s only a tiny yard so can make things very awkward and others avoid coming here when they know he’ll be on the yard. I’ve had enough and want them gone but if I evict without a genuine (and polite) reason then he’ll blacken my name for future clients. So I need a good excuse/reason. I was considering the following:
1) if your horses won’t live out 24/7 in summer months then I won’t be able to turn them out (he won’t have his live out 24/7 in summer even though this is an option here meaning I have to turn them out at 6:30am all summer when all the others live out.) This could smack me in the face if he decided now that his horses can live out though I doubt it.
2) I’m only offering retirement livery from now on (he takes himself very seriously and schools 5 times a week and ‘competes’ at weekend).

I’ve been waiting patiently for a broken rule but it never happens - I’m sure he knows I’m waiting!!
Anyone had past experience or can offer any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

Reactions: DD

flying_high

Visit site
Here's what has always worked for me. "Hello Mr. Livery, I have decided that I would like to reduce the number of horses that I have on my yard. I would like you to move your horse/horses by this date. Good bye.".

That only works if you do not intend to replace him. Otherwise being dishonest reflects on the Yard Owner.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That only works if you do not intend to replace him. Otherwise being dishonest reflects on the Yard Owner.

OK, in that case I would say "Hello Mr. Livery, I have decided that I will need your stable by - insert date here - please make sure that you have removed your horse and belongings by then. Good bye."

LegOn

Visit site
How about saying something like this - I can tell you (and horse) aren't happy here so I think it would be best for everyone if you started to look for another yard... I will be happy to supply a good reference, and I will be advertising your stable as available from the start of March/April....?

This is definitely a good option - because you are putting the reason for him leaving on him rather than on you or your yard. So saying that you dont feel him or his horse is happy there gives him a chance to either change his behaviour or move, which are both good outcomes for you!!

CMcC

Visit site
I wouldn’t worry about him blackening your name. He sounds like a knob, everyone who knows him knows he’s a knob. So when he tells them you kicked him off the yard they will all be very sympathetic to his face while thinking, “yeah, but you got kicked off the yard because you are a knob”.
And the remaining liveries will all think your are a super hero!

webble

Visit site
This is definitely a good option - because you are putting the reason for him leaving on him rather than on you or your yard. So saying that you dont feel him or his horse is happy there gives him a chance to either change his behaviour or move, which are both good outcomes for you!!
He could well reply saying that he IS happy and wants to continue as he is with that approach though?

Annagain

Visit site
Is he the newest livery? I would blame the last in first out rule so there's no blame as such, it's just a bad mix of people and one of those things. I'd say something like:

"I feel the atmosphere on the yard has changed recently and the mix of clients isn't conducive to a healthy and pleasant environment for humans or horses. Sadly, as you were the last to arrive I am going to have to ask you to move on. I appreciate finding a yard that suits your needs might be difficult so as a gesture of goodwill I am giving you two/three (delete as appropriate) months notice rather than the usual one. Of course should you move earlier I would not charge you for the unused weeks."

If I was given that message I'd be gone asap, not waiting 2 months!

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmmm... yes I think I like the sound of the "YO doesn't feel him or his horse are happy here and I'll offer a reference......." sort of approach; but my approach would be, initially anyway, BEFORE writing the letter, to have a quiet chat with the guy: and say something similar, and/or words to the effect of "I'm not sure we're really in a position, for the foreseeable future, to be able to offer what you and your horse obviously need and I'm letting you know now so you can look for somewhere else ......." sort of thing, then if he looks bemused you could then go on to say that your desire is really to be able to run a harmonious yard and you can't help but pick on a sometimes bad atmosphere that is on the yard and you're having to make tough decisions......

I feel a quiet chat before issuing a "letter" might be the best way to approach the issue in the first instance. It would at least get the issue out in the open; after all (trying to be fair) he might be totally unaware of the atmosphere he is creating in his wake! (on the other hand, yep we've all been on yards with Nobs like this one on it!! LOL).

It might help also to have a quiet chat with other liveries and see what they say about the guy and the atmosphere, specific information i.e. what has actually occurred, what was said/done etc, and when/where, rather than complaints about a vague "atmosphere" - and this would then give you ammunition for when you approach him.

As others have said, honesty has to be the best policy; the horse-world is a small one and there's always someone willing to spread rumours (true or otherwise) around, and suddenly a YO is demonised for no reason! You have your good name to consider at the end of the day; but also have to consider your own business and whether this guy has the potential to drive your good clients away.

I'd firstly do my research, then secondly have a quiet chat and see how that goes. At the end of the day you're running a business and not a charity or a touchy-feely therapy studio, and if others on the yard have got their arse in their hand over one livery then - if the guy pays up regularly and on time and looks sweet, and does everything by the book - then you really don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, and the complainers might just have to get over themselves, stop being so sensitive; and basically put up and shut up!

(edited): sorry, am aware I've played Devils Advocate here quite a lot, and having just read "Annagain"'s suggested response above, I feel this is EXCELLENT and cannot be bettered IMO.

Good luck! It sounds as if you personally do not like the guy; so my gut feeling would be to get rid!!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Do you think he knows how he comes across? I agree, don't lie. I'd say something like 'this is a small yard and I am aware that you won't speak to x.y.z. I and others feel you create a negative atmosphere. Is that something you think you can address? If not you will need to move on as it is really important to me to run a yard that feels like a relaxed and welcoming place to be. See how he responds. He might improve!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all, I’m looking for advice on the best way to get a livery to ‘move on’. He never breaks a rule and on paper should be the perfect person but he is a control freak, only speaks to certain others that he feels are ‘below’ him in rank, and generally creates a nasty, poisonous atmosphere. It’s only a tiny yard so can make things very awkward and others avoid coming here when they know he’ll be on the yard. I’ve had enough and want them gone but if I evict without a genuine (and polite) reason then he’ll blacken my name for future clients. So I need a good excuse/reason. I was considering the following:
1) if your horses won’t live out 24/7 in summer months then I won’t be able to turn them out (he won’t have his live out 24/7 in summer even though this is an option here meaning I have to turn them out at 6:30am all summer when all the others live out.) This could smack me in the face if he decided now that his horses can live out though I doubt it.
2) I’m only offering retirement livery from now on (he takes himself very seriously and schools 5 times a week and ‘competes’ at weekend).

I’ve been waiting patiently for a broken rule but it never happens - I’m sure he knows I’m waiting!!
Anyone had past experience or can offer any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

I would keep it short and simple

Dear XXXXX

As from today's date................................... This letter is a months notice that from the last day of the notice period we will not be offering you livery at my stables. (or there will not be a livery availability for you and your horse) Please remove all your belongings as from the last day of your notice period.

Payment up to this date as per contract (or not)I thank you for your past patronage and wish you and your horse all the best in the future.

signed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Just dont give any reasons as this leaves room for attempted bargaining-anything that can be countered will be used against you wanting him away. Its your yard, you dont have to give an excuse and tbh its a YO's market so even if he tries to bad mouth you, people wont listen-especially if you have other happy owners. Just give notice, thanks for custom, happy to give references, bye bye on the X Feb.

be positive

Visit site
Just dont give any reasons as this leaves room for attempted bargaining-anything that can be countered will be used against you wanting him away. Its your yard, you dont have to give an excuse and tbh its a YO's market so even if he tries to bad mouth you, people wont listen-especially if you have other happy owners. Just give notice, thanks for custom, happy to give references, bye bye on the X Feb.

As a YO of a small livery yard I agree with this, you do not have to give a reason or justify giving notice, although he may ask why just avoid making excuses or making anything up, if he is as up himself as he sounds he will probably make his own reasons and you will be 'in the wrong' whatever you say anyway, it will not have any bearing on your business, the horse world may be small but most people are sensible enough to avoid nasty rumours from someone who has who has been asked to leave whatever nonsense they put on Fb.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I know I'm an awful soft touch but I'd speak to him about the atmosphere on the yard etc. It could be that he is completely oblivious to how he is coming across or even that he is shy and doesn't feel comfortable talking to everyone.

Look it's your yard and if you just don't like the guy then you are entirely within your rights to ask him to leave. Personally I'd feel more comfortable giving him a chance to put things right first but, as I said, I know I'm a soft touch! :)

Berpisc

Visit site
You don't actually have to give him a reason if you don't want to. Stay polite, eg Iluv Cowparsley's format.
Bear in mind that he may take offence whatever approach you take; that is up to him. You do have a right to say who is on your yard, if you are polite and fair he has no redress.

Reactions: DD

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
You are going to get yapped about no matter what or how you go about it. Being asked to leave is mortifying no matter what the reason. Just hand him a notice period and that is it.

I’ve know YOs just make someone’s horsey a life a misery there until they have left of their own accord, cowardly I’ll admit but successful. Not suggesting you do this but it wouldn’t be out of the realm of the horsey world.

honetpot

Visit site
One YO put up the livery until most left, then dropped it, and 'restocked'.
I would think he has no idea the effect he has on others, and if horses are you downtime I would imagine he is blooming annoying.
I would just politely give him notice, if he asks why just say you prefer a less competitive atmosphere and you think another his interests would be more suited to a competition yard. Its not you, its me.

Andalucian

Visit site
Do you think he knows how he comes across? I agree, don't lie. I'd say something like 'this is a small yard and I am aware that you won't speak to x.y.z. I and others feel you create a negative atmosphere. Is that something you think you can address? If not you will need to move on as it is really important to me to run a yard that feels like a relaxed and welcoming place to be. See how he responds. He might improve!

I like this approach, nicely worded, but honest.