Your cancellable takes...

Hepsibah

Visit site
You mean her view that biological sex is immutable?
That's not transphobic, that's just fact.
Someone's gender identity can change as many times as they wish, but it will not change the fact of the sex they were born with.
No it's her view that her chromosomes are what makes her a woman and that she wishes to battle for the term. "woman" is a social construct and as such is subject to evolution as society evolves. That is an actual fact. We are more than the sum of our parts.

Noogle

Visit site
Totally agree with EI, everyone seems to be talking about fast fashion atm, how does the same not apply to horses? This is only being pushed by influencers making it seem having 20+ saddle pads, boots and ear bonnets per horse is normal.
I think sustainability in the equine world is really something that needs to be addressed, I may just be living under a rock but I haven’t seen many ‘eco friendly’ horse products apart from those little shampoo bars around. Don’t even want to think about the amount of plastics and environmentally awful things I use down at the yard on a daily basis.

stangs

Visit site
My next take, some horses really do love a stable!
I've found that horses, who are used to little to no stabling, are generally the first horses to go to a stable for shelter. Horses who were previously stabled with minimal turnout are much less keen to use stables as shelter once they're used to turn out, likely because of the negative associations.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
No it's her view that her chromosomes are what makes her a woman and that she wishes to battle for the term. "woman" is a social construct and as such is subject to evolution as society evolves. That is an actual fact. We are more than the sum of our parts.

I think people including trans people have the right to live as whatever they want - as long as they don't harm others.
In some women's sports, though, it seems to me that there is a great danger to people born female from transwomen who, if they transitioned after puberty particularly, retain male physical strength.

However, the reviews of studies I've seen suggest that while transwomen retain greater physical strength (than women who haven't transitioned) it reduces with hormone treatment - so there is a danger to transwomen in competing against males.
Link to study

I think this is something that needs to be carefully considered for certain sports - to find a fair solution for everyone.

Awaits some fool calling me transphobic.

Peglo

Visit site
Totally agree with EI, everyone seems to be talking about fast fashion atm, how does the same not apply to horses? This is only being pushed by influencers making it seem having 20+ saddle pads, boots and ear bonnets per horse is normal.
I think sustainability in the equine world is really something that needs to be addressed, I may just be living under a rock but I haven’t seen many ‘eco friendly’ horse products apart from those little shampoo bars around. Don’t even want to think about the amount of plastics and environmentally awful things I use down at the yard on a daily basis.

and also how on earth can they afford it? I have to ask my OH for fashion advice so I won’t be playing dress up with my ponies too.

red on a chestnut is alright isn’t it?

smolmaus

Visit site
i wish I liked it. When people say they go to the stables and groom for hours and it’s their happy place it sounds idyllic. I just don’t feel it.? Give me mucking out a stable any day ?
This isn't actually cancellable because I've said it to her face but my mate who says she LOVES bathing a horse and takes any and every opportunity to do so is loop de loop crackers. I'd take any amount of sh*t lifting over even just washing a tail.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
spend hours everyday hanging around at the swimming pool, paddling in the shallow end whilst longing to be diving and doing front crawl up at the deep end?

Its a bloody horrible place to be trust me, noone wants to be that person-I have been there and was able to beat myself up about it quite enough, without anyone else doing it for me.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Catch the horse, groom the horse, bath the horse, spend hours brushing horses tail, hours to muck out a stable, endless tack cleaning, sweeping, hoof picking, polishing horse til it shines, etc etc, anything but actually ride the bloody horse. And when the planets are correctly aligned and the horse does eventually get ridden we are treated to fine display of total incompetence and sheer naked terror. All diplomatic and tactfully put offers of help (that come from a genuinely kind place) are rebuffed and rejected. Hey ho...as long as people are happy enjoying themselves and their horses - thats all that matters. This is all particularly galling when the horse involved is an absolute cracker!

edited to say, I know this isn't a very popularly held view....it really is all about how much joy we get from our horses and I know a lot of people get a lot of happiness from non ridden ones too.

Especially when support is offered in a tactful and gentle way.

Potentially unpopular POV here too but I'd certainly turn down 'help' if I thought I was going to be described by the person publically as 'totally incompetent'. I'm not sure you can say that and still imply it's a totally kind, genuine offer, personally.

There were far kinder ways to phrase the above examples, if the offer of help was indeed from a truly selfless, genuine place

Second unpopular opinion from me but it's no one else's business what people choose to do with their horse and no one should project what someone may or may not be happier doing. Whether that's cleaning tack or going galloping.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Potentially unpopular POV here too but I'd certainly turn down 'help' if I thought I was going to be described by the person publically as 'totally incompetent'. I'm not sure you can say that and still imply it's a totally kind, genuine offer, personally.

There were far kinder ways to phrase the above examples, if the offer of help was indeed from a truly selfless, genuine place

Second unpopular opinion from me but it's no one else's business what people choose to do with their horse and no one should project what someone may or may not be happier doing. Whether that's cleaning tack or going galloping.

I'm going to add a third unpopular (amongst YOs) view here - just because you bought some land/stables does not make you an equine expert. So if YOs aren't qualified, they should butt out of liveries' business.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm going to add a third unpopular (amongst YOs) view here - just because you bought some land/stables does not make you an equine expert. So if YOs aren't qualified, they should butt out of liveries' business.
Ah, but some of us are, and still got told to butt out by the odd loon ..... hence lobbing them and keeping the yard to myself ??

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
T
For those that say their horses like to be in, I always suggest leaving the door open and seeing what happens. I have two that don’t go anywhere, if it’s the evening or if it’s raining, as long as they have hay, so that tells me all I need to know.
An acquaintance keeps her horses in almost full time because “They love their stables”. Funnily enough she didn’t want to try my suggestion ?
I used to have stables that ran out into sizeable ½ acre paddocks (they were built for stallions initially, also used for my competition horses). Some horses stayed out pretty much all the time, but most used them a lot, and one had to be locked out of his ? (he was a homebred, so not institutionalised like some of my Spanish guys).

cauda equina

Visit site
My next take, some horses really do love a stable!

One of mine stands in even with no hay in there. She has also not been institutionalized as is only 4 and recently learned what a stable is. (P.S she does live with others, she just leaves them to stand here ?)

View attachment 90742
Yeah, but -
A field shelter where you (the horse) know you have the choice to be in or out is different from a stable where you don't have a choice

littleshetland

Visit site

What I was trying to say rather clumsily I suppose was people that very obviously want/need help but are unable to ask, for whatever reason, are rather baffling to me, especially when they're quite obviously in tears and struggling. Ive been that person myself. All help was offered from a very kind and genuine place out of a real desire to help someone and make them smile, but when you watch them time and again crying because what they're doing isn't working...it's quite frustrating.

palo1

Visit site
Expecting instant cancellation for the take that social media extremism around animal rights/social licence will likely result in far worse outcomes for nature than some historic and possibly 'ignorant' approaches and practices. We need less anthropomorphism and far wider common sense and peer reviewed science to inform our approach to all animals. They are not human. They are intelligent and extraordinary inhabitants of this planet in their own right. We need to remember that and not try to infantilise them or humanise them. People who insist on calling their animals their 'fur babies' possibly should have a stern talking to!!

[153312]

Visit site
I'm in a very raw place at the moment, I have to give up control of how my remaining horse lives in four days time and my days of never having to stable my horses for longer than it takes them to eat bucket food are over. It helps me to keep rehearsing to myself that I'm not going to be asking him to do anything that most of the country's horses aren't doing. Your addition of "punishable" to "welfare issue" was triggering. Apologies for my knee-jerk reaction.
hugs your way :(

[153312]

Visit site
For those that say their horses like to be in, I always suggest leaving the door open and seeing what happens. I have two that don’t go anywhere, if it’s the evening or if it’s raining, as long as they have hay, so that tells me all I need to know.
An acquaintance keeps her horses in almost full time because “They love their stables”. Funnily enough she didn’t want to try my suggestion ?
lol we do this and had to move water inside because the thoroughbred, with access to five acres, decided the stable was too good to walk out to the trough when it was raining! (We have a camera so know he didn't leave all day.)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I withdraw all my complaints about misuse of the term "cancellation" when it comes to "fur babies." That phrase needs to be cancelled. And buried. And never see the light of day again.

I'll join you with my shovel to help bury it!

I'm fairly soft but even I'll bring an extra shovel and we'll bury that fur-baby term in double quick time ?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I'm fairly soft but even I'll bring an extra shovel and we'll bury that fur-baby term in double quick time ?

Awww I love my fur babies*.

Although I was less keen on the fur aspect this morning - I brushed them a bit (they are shedding) and ending up coughing up a furball.

SEL

Visit site
I withdraw all my complaints about misuse of the term "cancellation" when it comes to "fur babies." That phrase needs to be cancelled. And buried. And never see the light of day again.
??? Mine are collectively known as the hairy mob. Or the fat hairy mob. Currently lots of hair in lots of places.

Fur babies makes me cringe!! Plus try and cuddle either of the cats while telling them they're cute fur babies and you'll die