2024 Foals

Asha

Visit site
Bit of a rough week for us. Aria ended up colicing Monday night. So was referred to hospital. Her foal dash was terrified bless him. Fortunately she is fine ( we think the trip in the box helped) but poor Dash has been poorly. Vets are convinced its due to the stress of mum being so poorly, as they saw him Monday night and he was fine. So hes been on antibiotics and now just having some gastroguard. Hoping his poo returns to normal today and they can come home tomorrow. Its days like this that im relieved im having next year off breeding. Maybe even give up breeding all together.

Asha

Visit site
Poor Aria and Dash, I hope they've both picked up over the weekend.

Sorry for the late update , we picked them both up on Friday , then had a bit of a problem with one of the others on Saturday. I swear to god this has been the most stressful year with the foals .
I try my best , don’t do things on a budget and yet this year everything has gone wrong .
Anyway .. Aria is grand , just Building her back up to eat more grass and Dash is seriously fugly with his foal shed . But he’s a poppet .
Think he looks like a blinking donkey at the minute . Cash is cheeky , but oh so beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8089.png
    IMG_8089.png
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 148

SEL

Visit site
Relieved he's on the mend (& he'll be pretty again soon!!)

I think it was last year that put off any vague dreams of me ever breeding when 3 people I know had an horrendous time. One was an experienced breeder whose experienced broodmares threw all the problems at her, after years of no issues

Hopefully yours will all bounce back and no more vets

Asha

Visit site
Relieved he's on the mend (& he'll be pretty again soon!!)

I think it was last year that put off any vague dreams of me ever breeding when 3 people I know had an horrendous time. One was an experienced breeder whose experienced broodmares threw all the problems at her, after years of no issues

Hopefully yours will all bounce back and no more vets

Sorry to hear of your friends issues SEL. Did she/he continue after that year ?

I guess im a little frustrated, I see people who do things / manage things in a way that makes me scream, and year after year they 'get away with it'. Im coming to the conclusion that im too emotionally involved with breeding. A friend of mine has sort of hinted that i need to take a different perspective if i want to carry on, and to start being more business minded. I cant, they are living creatures and not tins of paint.

Alibear

Visit site
I'm glad to hear yours are on the mend, Asha. It is always a risky business. I think I'm done for now, and I'm aware that I've been exceptionally lucky.

I'm sorry I don't have photos; my filly has dark rings around both eyes, a dark stripe running down the base of her mane, and her foal shed shows a much darker colour coming through.
So will she grey out like her older 1/2 sister, or will she go liver chestnut like her older brother? I have no idea but we need to decide so I can get her registered!

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I guess im a little frustrated, I see people who do things / manage things in a way that makes me scream, and year after year they 'get away with it'. Im coming to the conclusion that im too emotionally involved with breeding. A friend of mine has sort of hinted that i need to take a different perspective if i want to carry on, and to start being more business minded. I cant, they are living creatures and not tins of paint.
I always think people that take short cuts with horses get away with so much its really not fair is it.

My friend used to breed and she had a rough year one foal died then one of her 2 year olds was so ill he was pts, it kind of finished her off and she stopped doing after that.

My other poor friend this year does absolutely everything for her horses they are her world, her mare was in foal and due August unfortunately she found a perfect black colt still born in her field a few weeks back.

She was devastated

SEL

Visit site

She did!

Although it did shake her up having everything come at once. Its one thing reading up on issues its a whole other thing when you find yourself dealing with them.

Not only her though. That particular year almost everyone I know who had mares in foal had problems. I'm sure it was a statistical anomaly but it made me realise I would be completely under prepared for breeding (emotionally as much as anything). My neighbour had a little cob who they found was carrying a BOGOF and unfortunately the mare caught a virus at about 7 months and lost the foal - friend had said the BOGOF was inconvenient but she was distraught when they lost the foal.

And yet there are those who just chuck the stallions out with the mares, let nature take its course and all seems to go well!

I hope yours are on the mend x

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I had been breeding for 25 years pretty uneventfully then in 1999 lost my homebred mare because her foal died before birth and was presented wrongly. It was coming forehead first and no legs. My wonderful vet sedated her then battled to try and get the foal out but in the end could only manage the head which I then had to cut off with cheese-wire my vet being exhausted. He was then able to feel inside and realised her uterus had ruptured, foal's bottom jaw had gone through it so she was put down. I said to my vet then that I didn't think I would ever breed another foal and I stuck to it. It was a horrible way to find out just how badly foaling can go wrong.

Asha

Visit site
I'm glad to hear yours are on the mend, Asha. It is always a risky business. I think I'm done for now, and I'm aware that I've been exceptionally lucky.

I'm sorry I don't have photos; my filly has dark rings around both eyes, a dark stripe running down the base of her mane, and her foal shed shows a much darker colour coming through.
So will she grey out like her older 1/2 sister, or will she go liver chestnut like her older brother? I have no idea but we need to decide so I can get her registered!

why dont you send some of her hair off to animal genetics. They will tell you if she has the grey gene

Asha

Visit site
I always think people that take short cuts with horses get away with so much its really not fair is it.

My friend used to breed and she had a rough year one foal died then one of her 2 year olds was so ill he was pts, it kind of finished her off and she stopped doing after that.

My other poor friend this year does absolutely everything for her horses they are her world, her mare was in foal and due August unfortunately she found a perfect black colt still born in her field a few weeks back.

She was devastated

Thats so sad, i cant imagine how shes feeling. Just tragic.

Asha

Visit site
She did!

Although it did shake her up having everything come at once. Its one thing reading up on issues its a whole other thing when you find yourself dealing with them.

Not only her though. That particular year almost everyone I know who had mares in foal had problems. I'm sure it was a statistical anomaly but it made me realise I would be completely under prepared for breeding (emotionally as much as anything). My neighbour had a little cob who they found was carrying a BOGOF and unfortunately the mare caught a virus at about 7 months and lost the foal - friend had said the BOGOF was inconvenient but she was distraught when they lost the foal.

And yet there are those who just chuck the stallions out with the mares, let nature take its course and all seems to go well!

I hope yours are on the mend x
I had been breeding for 25 years pretty uneventfully then in 1999 lost my homebred mare because her foal died before birth and was presented wrongly. It was coming forehead first and no legs. My wonderful vet sedated her then battled to try and get the foal out but in the end could only manage the head which I then had to cut off with cheese-wire my vet being exhausted. He was then able to feel inside and realised her uterus had ruptured, foal's bottom jaw had gone through it so she was put down. I said to my vet then that I didn't think I would ever breed another foal and I stuck to it. It was a horrible way to find out just how badly foaling can go wrong.

Thanks SEL, so sorry to hear about your friends bogof. The whole process is a roller coaster of emotions.

Oh my word EP, thats horrific. So sorry you had to do and witness that. A friend of mine breeds shetlands, and she has had a similar experience. You really do need a dose of luck and a strong mind to do this a lot.

Asha

Visit site
If I still had land I'd be asking you about Cash .....

He really is a stunner, but wont stay that beautiful colour like his big brother. His results came back yesterday and he will eventually turn grey. But i expect he will go like his mum, and she was the most stunning steel grey at 4, and blossomed into a rocking horse dapple. He has the most superb head and neck connection and a wonderful hind leg. ( just waiting for front legs to straighten a little) so id say slightly better pt together than big brother

You should pop over again and meet them both.

I mentioned Dash being in hospital and he and Aria are now well and home. With proper poos now. I did elude to another problem.. that was Cash. I noticed when he was born he had the thickest and longest umbical cord ive seen so far. 3 vets where unconcerned about it. However, i was. So checked it daily, which is a good job, as on saturday i noticed pus. As everyone on here will no doubt know that an infected stump is something to be very concerned about. It really upset me, which is why i was feeling a bit sorry for myself , and questioning why i was so incompetent . So another trip with a different mare and foal to hospital . Cash was very lively so i knew we had caught it early. Bloods came back with slightly raised levels, but only slightly. So vets kept him and Pip in, and administered antibiotics. Today his bloods are normal, still bouncing around the stable like a nutter and his extra long cord has now fallen off. They believe it was minor outward infection caused by the size of it, and him peeing on it. So they should both be coming home tomorrow. I went to see him yesterday, and he had clearly missed me, came straight over and gave me a series of wonderful hairy foal kisses. The type that tickle your nose.

Both boys are fabulous, and im delighted with the pair of them, i cant wait to get them out together and having some fun in the fields.