Ad - Free to good home ----------> Seriously

Polos Mum

Visit site
I hope the horse finds a nice home and the owner doesn't see this thread.

You are right nothing is guaranteed in anything we do but you can swing the balance of probability in your horses favour, the risk in this scenario is too great for me.

I hope the opposite, I hope the owner reads this, realises that her best intentions probably aren't as realistic as she hoped and that as sad as it is, if she can't keep him or for whatever reason loaning can't/ won't work then I hope she realises that PTS is the kindest thing to do for her lovely looking horse.

kateandluelue

Visit site
I dont think this is so much about the fact the horse is free, yes some horses that are sold for £5000 go to poor homes where as some free go to fab homes. For me this is more about the age of the horse as oppose to it being free and securing his future. I think the kindest thing would be to pts where he is now in his own home and then he will be at peace and the owner will never have to worry about any sinster places he may or may not end up.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I knew there would be a thread about this horse as soon as I saw the add.

It's not on its last legs struggling to stand. It's a healthy horse who can still be ridden, and to be honest he looks in better condition than some of the horses I've seen people post pictures of on here.

All horses can end up in crappy homes, whether they're sold for £4,000 or £1.

It says he can still be ridden and no where does it say he needs to be stabled either. Not sure where you've pulled that info from.
I am with you so he is 27 one of my liver's is 33 and still ridden and goes on hacks, why shouldn't the old boy try find a new home for what ever time he has left. Fingers crossed there is someone out there who needs an old boy for light hacking.

touchstone

Visit site
For the holier than thou types who want to see a horse that actually needs rescuing, you're going to have to look a bit further afield that the classifieds of Horse and Hound.

I don't think anybody wants to see a horse that needs rescuing, but the chances of such an old horse being offered free to a good home means that there is a far far greater risk of it becoming a 'rescue' case down the line. It is a simple fact that there aren't enough good homes for healthy young horses, never mind aged retired ones. If you care so much about the horse you either keep it, euthanise it, or loan it with regular checks. Why risk it's future by handing over it's life with no further control?

Ponycarrots

Visit site
Then you do the right thing by the horse as a responsible owner and instead of sending it off to a completely unknown future you PTS. It's not rocket science to realise quite how much risk the horse is at.

Some time ago there was a user on here called teds mum who was great at offering homes when people were struggling - she promptly sold the horses on/for meat iirc so don't be surprised if this forum is not happy at free to good home ads

Maybe some people are a bit naive and think that their free to a good home horse will actually go to a good home.
Also maybe some people just don't have the heart to get the horse pts.
I'm not saying this is my opinion at all. I'm just saying what their point of view might be.

Ponycarrots

Visit site
ok so why not PTS? mine is 24 and has cushings, if I couldn't afford to keep her properly I would never advertise her free , I would PTS at the yard where she is happy.....

I agree but some people just don't have the heart to do it, or perhaps are naive enough to think the horse will actually go to a good home. Some might you never know!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Well by that logic no one should ever sell a horse no matter how old then.

As I said before, horses will end up in crappy homes whether they are three or thirty. Even if I sell a horse who is five for five grand, that absolutely does not guarantee that it's going to a good home.

For the holier than thou types who want to see a horse that actually needs rescuing, you're going to have to look a bit further afield that the classifieds of Horse and Hound.

Why do so many people think that once a horse reaches past twenty it's a virtual criminal offence to pass it on? Some horses can live for absolute years, and no matter how much some like to think that they are loved by their horses, as long as they're warm, have company, can mooch around the field and get a bucket shoved under their nose each day, they are most likely quite content.

I hope the horse finds a nice home and the owner doesn't see this thread.

Very well put. One thing I find annoying on HHO is how quick people are to judge. I too hope that the owner doesn't ever see this thread.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I just couldnt send my 22 year old to an uncertain future - at the very least I owe him that. Let alone when he is 27!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Very well put. One thing I find annoying on HHO is how quick people are to judge. I too hope that the owner doesn't ever see this thread.

agreed I hope she does not read any of this, as she would be terribly upset. Seems a lovely old boy by he picture

"Seek and Ye Shall Find"

I wish owner luck in finding a new home for the poor old boy.

teacups

Visit site
If he was retired 4 years ago, and the photo shows him clipped, then the photo is not very recent, presumably?

SpringArising

Visit site
If he was retired 4 years ago, and the photo shows him clipped, then the photo is not very recent, presumably?

She says in the ad that she still rides him sometimes. And horses can be clipped for a number of reasons. It doesn't just have to be for a heavy workload.

teacups

Visit site
Ah, OK. I thought it was mainly for horses in regular work, especially TBs, but from what she says in the ad doesn't sound as though he would need clipping for it (in terms of workload).
' Although I retired him four years ago, We sometimes still have a little fun in the school. (not hacked out).'

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Another with an oldie and he'd be running over rainbow bridge before I'd write an ad like that. I loaned him out because I lost my job and couldn't keep him until I found another one then a friend took him on loan for six months whilst I had surgery to he a safe ride for her daughter, but he is perfectly rideable in walk trot and canter does pole work and can pop the jump now and then. He's not just a pasture ornament.

I hate ads like this.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Yes there is a lot of judgmental comments but maybe that is because a horse that has reached 27 years of age and has served you well deserves to be kept. I can't believe anyone on here seriously thinks it is ok to just advertise a horse like this 'free to good home'. If the owner found someone they knew and could guarantee the horses future then giving him away would not be an issue but to advertise openly where by anybody can come forward promising to be the perfect forever home and convincingly doing so only to possibly pass that animal on to an uncertain future is heartless and irresponsible. I am not being judgmental or over dramatic just stating the facts that our animals derserve a better end to their lives, it is our duty as owners to ensure their futures.

Completely agree

Smurf's Gran

Visit site

And I actually sincerely hope that the owner does see this thread.. Think they should be ashamed. Our horses work hard for us and we are responsible for them in old age as well as when they are young and useful. I think this is just shirking responsibility for an oldie who deserves better

Last edited:

SpringArising

Visit site
think this is just shirking responsibility for an oldie who deserves better

How on earth can you know that from one ad?

It clearly states that he is up to date with everything and that homes will be vetted. Why would the owner be so involved, and go to the trouble of paying to advertise him, if she didn't care and just wanted shot of him? If that were the case she'd have asked someone to put a bullet through his head four years ago.

kateandluelue

Visit site
How on earth can you know that from one ad?

It clearly states that he is up to date with everything and that homes will be vetted. Why would the owner be so involved, and go to the trouble of paying to advertise him, if she didn't care and just wanted shot of him? If that were the case she'd have asked someone to put a bullet through his head four years ago.

Maybe it was convenient for her to keep him then, but now circumstances change and she cant. Thats fair enough and no one is saying she hasnt cared for him, however at 27 his future needs safeguarding and sometimes its best with the oldies that if their future cant be certain PTS is the kindest option. There are not enough lovely homes for our aging population of horses. Maybe loan would be better, or a good retirement livery.

asmp

Visit site
Just seen one on a local website offering a 24 year old pony for sale as "he's beginning to slow down a bit for me". Poor thing.

ester

Visit site
Blimey - I had tried to delete Ted's Mum and her awful deeds from my memory. The whole sorry affair did open my eyes though. :(
Sorry!

I won't ever berate people for picking up in ads like this though if it means that more people are aware that there are people like that.

I'd feel pretty awful if circumstances meant I couldn't keep an oldie and had to PTS before I really needed to. I'd feel worse if I didn't do them that last kindness though and just sent them to whatever fate dealt them.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Sorry!

I won't ever berate people for picking up in ads like this though if it means that more people are aware that there are people like that.

I'd feel pretty awful if circumstances meant I couldn't keep an oldie and had to PTS before I really needed to. I'd feel worse if I didn't do them that last kindness though and just sent them to whatever fate dealt them.

Completely agree

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
She says in the ad that she still rides him sometimes. And horses can be clipped for a number of reasons. It doesn't just have to be for a heavy workload.

You know what I would like to find out SpringArising from all those who say charities are full and wont take oldies and we should not palm them off to them and how it is so terrible to try find this poor old guy another chance at a home due to unforeseen circumstances etc etc

BUT:

1. It is ok for new mums to get rid of their old cats when they have a new baby OR have a cat for 10 years and now in middle teens the owner decides to get a new puppy. Then the cat sees the new puppy and gets stress and starts peeing or hides and the owner gets rid of the cat not the damn puppy.

2. It is ok for people too - due to their change of finance or circumstances to *PALM* old cats off who are in middle teens to CP and leave it to them to try find new homes.

Do they kill them off??? no they give to a charity who can find that final home till they meet those purley gates. Should all these cats be PTS because the owners don't want them rather than give to charity???

If an owner who loves her old guy cannot keep him anymore due to their personal reasons, they reserve the right to choose to re-home them, they are NOT a bad owner to try for this option they are a caring owner trying to find someone who wants hims in his final years.

There is NO harm in that considering she has said she would vet the home.

Yes if the horse is in a lot of pain or quality of life is compromised but that is not the case with this guy.................

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Ester. I think that you were right to mention TM. Some posters will have joined the forum after she left (and returned under a different name, then left again) so they won't know just how devious people like that are. She presented a wonderful 'forever' home for FTGH horses and then quickly sold them, often for meat and was able to fund her own horses by doing this. So be aware folks, people like that are out there and they do fool people... many people in TM's case.

ester

Visit site
Who mentioned cats!? I would have an old one of those PTS too before I handed it to a charity!

I've known plenty of loan homes be vetted and not end up being what they seem, the risk of that on a ftgh is much higher.

Faracat I think it's easy to assume that everyone is nice and honest when you can't imagine being anything different but that sadly that just isn't the case and going off fb groups TM is certainly not the only one.

madlady

Visit site
I don't like to see adverts like that - I too would PTS an oldie before I'd give away.

Maybe the owner is having a last ditch attempt though to find a home for a horse who doesn't need to be pts before that decision is taken. It could be that if a suitable home isn't found that he will be PTS. Yes I'm maybe being generous but without anyone phoning and asking then we don't know do we.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
You know what I would like to find out SpringArising from all those who say charities are full and wont take oldies and we should not palm them off to them and how it is so terrible to try find this poor old guy another chance at a home due to unforeseen circumstances etc etc

BUT:

1. It is ok for new mums to get rid of their old cats when they have a new baby OR have a cat for 10 years and now in middle teens the owner decides to get a new puppy. Then the cat sees the new puppy and gets stress and starts peeing or hides and the owner gets rid of the cat not the damn puppy.

2. It is ok for people too - due to their change of finance or circumstances to *PALM* old cats off who are in middle teens to CP and leave it to them to try find new homes.

Do they kill them off??? no they give to a charity who can find that final home till they meet those purley gates. Should all these cats be PTS because the owners don't want them rather than give to charity???

If an owner who loves her old guy cannot keep him anymore due to their personal reasons, they reserve the right to choose to re-home them, they are NOT a bad owner to try for this option they are a caring owner trying to find someone who wants hims in his final years.

There is NO harm in that considering she has said she would vet the home.

Yes if the horse is in a lot of pain or quality of life is compromised but that is not the case with this guy.................

Charities are bursting at the seams !! they have been for years. Why don't you ring round a couple, and the ask them about the massive task they are facing, and then those rose coloured specs might come off. In the 1990's I had an oldie who was permanently Lame (high ring bone) but lively and happy. I spoke to a number of charities, all were full then !! oh and Brandsby Home of Rest's advice to me was to PTS. She was lame and could not be ridden so this is different, but at age 27 things are likely to not going to be good for long.

I don't agree with putting down a middle aged cat or dog either, but the arguments above are different I think when you have an older horse, getting past mid teens, I think you should expect to be stuck with them for life really.

Ester is right about loan homes not always being what they seem, no matter how well you vet them.

It is a sad truth that many people do not value what they have not paid for, charities are full ( check this and see) and to try and pass on a 27 year old is to leave it to its fate - yes there is always a chance that it might get a good home, but I fear that this chance is very slim indeed. I think this is an owner shirking her responsibilities, the last kindness we can do our old horses is ensuring they are okay at the end of their life.

Its also worth considering how charities are funded....its those of us who care, who ( in the main) are propping up those who are shirking their responsibilities. Sorry to sound harsh but when you take on an animal this is a big commitment and that cant be emphasised enough really

Last edited:

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Ester. I think that you were right to mention TM. Some posters will have joined the forum after she left (and returned under a different name, then left again) so they won't know just how devious people like that are. She presented a wonderful 'forever' home for FTGH horses and then quickly sold them, often for meat and was able to fund her own horses by doing this. So be aware folks, people like that are out there and they do fool people... many people in TM's case.

Was this the person who was prosecuted ?

http://www.horseandcountry.tv/news/2012/02/12/warning-after-loan-horses-sent-slaughter

Last edited: