Ad - Free to good home ----------> Seriously

SpringArising

Visit site
As for springarising ands thinking the comments are vicious. I think it is socially healthy - and we are not talking about bits or riding position, we are talking about a horses life. The majority on here are concerned with the welfare of the horse, while the both of you are concerned with upsetting the owner.

I wouldn't class calling someone out on a public forum 'socially healthy' - certainly not for the owner anyway. In my eyes which bit or rider a horse has to deal with on a daily basis can be just as much of a welfare issue. I personally feel far more concerned and upset knowing that somewhere there's a ten-year-old horse standing in a stable all day, only coming out for an hour to be ridden by someone with harsh hands and a big pair of spurs on. Is that horse happy? Probably not.

But then where is the line drawn? You can find good and bad in anything if you look hard enough.

I see a healthy looking horse who is in great condition (never mind for his age!), who has had an owner who is obviously very attentive to his needs.

It's a real shame that the general consensus on here to just to chuck oldies out in a field somewhere to spend their days doing nothing and getting stiff.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
EE it would be great if you could have him. Unfortunately while there might be a happy ending, and if you are fit, young with potential (horse) your chances are significantly better that if you are 27 and a retired TB, who needs a field shelter at the very least, then I would say the chance of a good home are slim at best .
If we had more room we would, but unfortunately we already have 6, many of whom are retired or semi-retired.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Naive LOL what is naive about saying that at the end of the day it is her choice!!!! Yes this sometimes is a biotchy sometimes bullying forum as well as informative and helpful where you can air your views. Going on and on justifying them serves no purpose.

We have heard your view have herd it over and over of shooting this horse being the best option, we don't agree. We!! are not defending this lady we are merely saying it is her choice and leave her now to do what she feels best. Nothing you say here with alter her way of dealing with this situation. Nothing you say will stop this horse being given away.

We(me and others) feel she has the right to re home and it is her choice not ours. That is our views what more is there to discuss???

Nothing more to say !!!!

I think you misjudge the potential of public opinion. Words are powerful, and who knows ..the owner night be reading and revising her views as there are things being discussed she didn't realise. Also other people contemplating giving away an oldie may now think twice. The HH is a powerful voice and people linking up and communicating is very valuable indeed ( and there is also a policing function in that people such as "Ted's Mum" will be openly discussed for all to hear.

Incidentally I have not said the horse should be shot. Personally If there is any potential to keep the horse I think this is what the owner should do ( but we don't know that) if not then a retirement home at livery, ot then maybe loan ( so I could take the horse back if it didn't work) . If I could not do any of the above then I would PTS so I would not let my old horse take its chance with any unscrupulous person who is after making a few pounds .

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
It's a real shame that the general consensus on here to just to chuck oldies out in a field somewhere to spend their days doing nothing and getting stiff.
Agree with you. Our 36 yr retired when she was 34, and is still lunged regularly, which she thoroughly enjoys, and it stops her getting stiff (not that she does, she is often cantering around the field like an Arab! ;) We have a 24 year old Cushings & EMS who is still in light work, and again she is fit as a fiddle and enjoys her work.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I think you misjudge the potential of public opinion. Words are powerful, and who knows ..the owner night be reading and revising her views as there are things being discussed she didn't realise. Also other people contemplating giving away an oldie may now think twice. The HH is a powerful voice and people linking up and communicating is very valuable indeed ( and there is also a policing function in that people such as "Ted's Mum" will be openly discussed for all to hear.

Incidentally I have not said the horse should be shot. Personally If there is any potential to keep the horse I think this is what the owner should do ( but we don't know that) if not then a retirement home at livery, ot then maybe loan ( so I could take the horse back if it didn't work) . If I could not do any of the above then I would PTS so I would not let my old horse take its chance with any unscrupulous person who is after making a few pounds .

We hear your views and respect them, but like I said we have ALL put our views out there and heard others, but now this thread is not going forward.

Why do I feel like a horse on the lunge !!!!

honetpot

Visit site
I have five cats,some rehomed and a bit bonkers and eleven equines, its far easier to squeeze in another cat.I think the comparison is a bit spurious. I
Can take a cat to a vet in a cat box, if it needs cage rest I can put it in my utility room and it will not cost me £3 a day to feed it.
More people can fit a cat in to their life,or should I say more cats can fit people in to their life and if you do not look after them they will p... off some where else. Poor horse has no such luck.

kateandluelue

Visit site
I have five cats,some rehomed and a bit bonkers and eleven equines, its far easier to squeeze in another cat.I think the comparison is a bit spurious. I
Can take a cat to a vet in a cat box, if it needs cage rest I can put it in my utility room and it will not cost me £3 a day to feed it.
More people can fit a cat in to their life,or should I say more cats can fit people in to their life and if you do not look after them they will p... off some where else. Poor horse has no such luck.

Yes this. Cats are more often than not far cheaper and do slot into peoples lives easier. A horse is a bigger commitment financially and are more time consuming and costly to keep. Therefore arguably if someone is needing to get a companion they are going to want something cheap and cheerful and healthy. And im NOT saying he isnt healthy, but some people will look at his age against him.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Agree with you. Our 36 yr retired when she was 34, and is still lunged regularly, which she thoroughly enjoys, and it stops her getting stiff (not that she does, she is often cantering around the field like an Arab! ;) We have a 24 year old Cushings & EMS who is still in light work, and again she is fit as a fiddle and enjoys her work.

But the horse being discussed is retired

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You don't need to comment if you don't want to ??

Neither do you!!! but we have commented and our points have been put on the table. Views for pro and con have been discussed - by those on each side of the fence. Unless the owners gets a gun and shoots it - then end of horse. I cannot see what more there is too discuss!!

She is giving it away end of, nothing we say here will change it so like SR I am moving on and letting this thread drop down the list of new threads and let this poor woman be.

If she is reading this good luck Lady I hope your situation improves and Eddie finds a new home.

Pigeon

Visit site
I'm sorry but I think this is fairly inexcusable.

You have to plan for pay cuts/unemployment etc. I know I have, and the answer wouldn't be palming my horse off for free to god knows where.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

I don't think that is the consensus on this thread or this forum?? Plenty of people have happy healthy working oldies- and most wouldn't let them out of sight ;).

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Neither do you!!! but we have commented and our points have been put on the table. Views for pro and con have been discussed - by those on each side of the fence. Unless the owners gets a gun and shoots it - then end of horse. I cannot see what more there is too discuss!!

She is giving it away end of, nothing we say here will change it so like SR I am moving on and letting this thread drop down the list of new threads and let this poor woman be.

If she is reading this good luck Lady I hope your situation improves and Eddie finds a new home.

But you are the one who is complaining about feeling "like a horse on the lunge" and going round in circles...if it makes you feel this way don't comment. you don't need to feel like that. I am actually quite happy thanks. BTW You say you respect my views ... I see no indication of that...not that it matters of course.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I was merely pointing out that trying to find an old horse a new home in his twilight years due to owners change of circumstances is NO different than a cat been trying to find a new home due to owners not wanting or cannot keep it any more due to financial circumstances.

The owner of this poor horse is and seems to be thinking of the horses future with a new loving owner.

The big difference is that no-one takes on an old cat unless they want an old cat. There are three types of people who take on an old horse who don't want an old horse:

Con artists who know it is worth £300 at the abattoir door on its feet.

Bad dealers who will repassport it as ten years younger than it is and sell it for £1,000 to a home which will then work the horse too hard, in all innocence.

People who want a young fit horse who haven't got the money for it, who then ride the horse far more than it should be doing at its age.

And the problem with advertising a horse like this instead of using known contacts to find the horse a home or putting him down, is that it is completely impossible to tell whether your prospective new owner is someone genuine, or in one of the three groups above.

Last edited:

OWLIE185

Visit site
I am sorry but a horse at 27 years old is not going to live that many more years and the owner should take the responsibility of looking after their much loved horse until the very end now.

Princess16

Visit site
I am sorry but a horse at 27 years old is not going to live that many more years and the owner should take the responsibility of looking after their much loved horse until the very end now.
I thought so too until I looked at the bigger picture in that maybe their personal circumstances have changed ie nowhere to have the horse, illness, money worries - guess we don't know the full facts behind this decision so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

If on the other hand it is just a case of horse outliving it's usefulness due to age then shame on them !

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes, I know. I was agreeing with SA that a lot of people retire horses too soon (18+) when often they can still do light work (which most enjoy).

This horse is at an age where it probably deserves to retire, which it has done.

It takes quite a lot of bottle to retire a younger horse, especially when you have the eyes of the local equine community judging your every move.

I just can't believe the people fervently defending the seller's decision would do that to their own horses. As much as I can possibly be sure, our horses will have a home until the end because we owe them that for all the days hunting they give us, but if my world falls upside down and I'm left without the money to support a retired old horse I would not be letting it out of our yard to anyone.

SpringArising

Visit site
if my world falls upside down and I'm left without the money to support a retired old horse I would not be letting it out of our yard to anyone.

That decision is entirely up to you. I don't agree nor disagree with it.

I gave away my first pony when she was twenty-four. She was still as fit as a fiddle but I was too big to ride her at that point and I didn't feel it was healthy for her to potentially spend the next ten plus years doing minimal work. She's now coming up to twenty-eight/twenty-nine and she's still as fit as a fiddle. She lives on a farm with another pony companion and the kids just love her. There hasn't been a day since I gave her to them that I've regretted my choice. Sure, I've thought of having her back for selfish reasons, but I know that she's better off where she is now, where she can be kept in regular ridden work by someone who is the right size for her.

We also gave away an elderly ID/TB type who was too much for my novice mum. She was mis-sold to us as safe and sensible but despite her age, she wasn't. After many tears from my mum we found her a home with a lady who just wanted a big pet/companion and she lived out the rest of her days with her.

There are some great homes out there just like there are bad homes. The reason we don't hear about all the good/normal ones is because they don't make for an interesting subject. I am just one person and I have found two fantastic homes, so there is no reason other horses can't either.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I just can't believe the people fervently defending the seller's decision would do that to their own horses. As much as I can possibly be sure, our horses will have a home until the end because we owe them that for all the days hunting they give us, but if my world falls upside down and I'm left without the money to support a retired old horse I would not be letting it out of our yard to anyone.

I'm not exactly defending the seller, as I, nor do you, or anyone on this thread as a matter of fact know the seller's reasons for selling the horse. We would never sell any of our horses, young or old. However as we can't see into the future, I can't say for certain whether that will always be the case. I jolly well hope it will be, and will do everything in my power to try and make it that way, but many things can happen/ change in a few years time. This could be the seller's first horse for all we know, and she had planned to keep him for the rest of his life, and sadly her circumstances have changed so she no longer can. The reason may be entirely different from the one I've just suggested, but whatever her reasons, who are we to judge? She's not exactly sending him to an abattoir or dealer (although he sadly may well end up there).

I personally could not PTS a healthy horse, whatever age, just because I can no longer keep it (not saying this is the case). There are many loving and caring homes at there, and I hope this lovely boy finds one.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can I ask the people on this thread who think it is possible to ensure that a FTGH horse does not end up at a abattoir, sold on with a new passport, overworked by people who can't afford a younger model, or abused in any other way - what would you do to 100% guarantee that you had found a horse like this a good home?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
To me the reason isn't relevant though, I'd certainly hope it was an impressive life reason at least.

I humbly suggest that as you grow old and meet more people in life you might change your mind on whether you would PTS one of yours Equi.

maxapple

Visit site
I wouldn't risk it myself but everyone's circumstances are different. My old man is retired and lives in a lovely retirement home hopefully for many years (as I live in London so have no land etc) but it's a monthly cost that people have to consider.

This horse might find a nice home. He looks fit and well, and if I were looking for a companion for my boy he would be perfect.

I guess we all look through rose tinted spectacles and imagine a lovely home on a farm turning up for our oldie but I know the reality is very different.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I humbly suggest that as you grow old and meet more people in life you might change your mind on whether you would PTS one of yours Equi.

I may do, but at the moment, none of ours are going anywhere - be it Heaven or new homes. I just can't always see how people can end the life of a happy and healthy horse just because they can't find a home. There are equally as many good homes out there as there are bad. But that's just me.

PTS may be an option for him, but he could also find a good home.

Last edited:

kateandluelue

Visit site
I thought so too until I looked at the bigger picture in that maybe their personal circumstances have changed ie nowhere to have the horse, illness, money worries - guess we don't know the full facts behind this decision so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

If on the other hand it is just a case of horse outliving it's usefulness due to age then shame on them !

Its not about what circumstances have made this decision to advertise the horse FTGH. Be it personal, a death, financial etc whatever. Life throws things at people and this woman/man may really be having a tough time however it is her responsibility to make sure this horse is safe and does not end up in the wrong hands and im afraid if i was in this position and i couldnt have the horse anymore for WHATEVER reason, at his age i would be having him kindly PTS at his current home so hes not stressed by any move or anything.

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
I'm not exactly defending the seller, as I, nor do you, or anyone on this thread as a matter of fact know the seller's reasons for selling the horse. We would never sell any of our horses, young or old. However as we can't see into the future, I can't say for certain whether that will always be the case. I jolly well hope it will be, and will do everything in my power to try and make it that way, but many things can happen/ change in a few years time. This could be the seller's first horse for all we know, and she had planned to keep him for the rest of his life, and sadly her circumstances have changed so she no longer can. The reason may be entirely different from the one I've just suggested, but whatever her reasons, who are we to judge? She's not exactly sending him to an abattoir or dealer (although he sadly may well end up there).

I personally could not PTS a healthy horse, whatever age, just because I can no longer keep it (not saying this is the case). There are many loving and caring homes at there, and I hope this lovely boy finds one.

What if you had a 27 year old who was retired, but because of the circumstances life had thrown at you, couldn't keep. Would you let him take his chance, given all the scum bags out there, who don't have the emotional attachment that you do to him, in the knowledge that he may get a good home, but also stood a greater chance of being sold on at the sales as much younger, or straight to the abbatoir. Or would you end his life with you knowing that he had never felt pain or fear (and never would) Very hard decision.