Andy Thomas tTest riding clinic

daffy44

Visit site
When Nia isnt there, I've held my horse whilst on the table, my horse is a friendly chap and enjoys it hugely! Andy makes a fuss of him and I generally end up sticking my boot up his nose (horse, not Andy!)

eta: but as its your first time, I'd have horse ready on lorry and go and meet Andy on foot first and ask him how he wants to start.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
thanks both :) having to hire lorry, and kira being who she is,I'm not taking her loading into a strange box for granted so be handy if there is someone around but I'll find out before unloading!

daffy44

Visit site
thanks both :) having to hire lorry, and kira being who she is,I'm not taking her loading into a strange box for granted so be handy if there is someone around but I'll find out before unloading!

I would go and talk to Andy before she comes off the lorry, but if you are at Dan's yard, there are always people about to give you a hand, either loading, or holding her.

quizzie

Visit site
I went to one last month, and as has been said...very relaxed, I'm sure he'll deal with whatever you want to do re loading!

I'm debating booking a follow up, as to whether to book another hour session or one of the 30min follow ups...can anyone tell me the usual format for the shorter follow up sessions please?

Roxylola

Visit site
I dont know as I've not done a follow up personally, but I'm guessing the assessment can be shorter, and theres less need for explanations etc of what hes doing

Bernster

Visit site
Posted the below in weekend plans but thought I’d also add in here. I feel a bit achy now which I assume is cos I’ve been using different muscles. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the exercises etc.

Did my Andy Thomas rider asymmetry assessment thingy. We did loads in the time!

interestingly, I thought my issue was on the left side but apparently I’m compensating and it’s actually weakness on the right. He did one test with me trying to push against his hand with my leg, the left was fine, the right I had no strength whatsoever. Did a few adjustments off the horse and some twangy elastic exercises on it. Felt more upright in my position. Finnegan went beautifully. Andy T was very complimentary which I found really encouraging and confidence building.

Got my elastic bands and exercises to do now ! Hopefully the start of me looking after myself more and doing a bit more fitness work off the horse.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I’m going to one today; utterly terrified but quite excited to see what he makes of my weirdness.

If nothing else - it’s a bloody expensive trot round a new arena for PancakePony.

If anyone’s interested I’ll throw some thoughts together afterwards

Yes, please do update us. ?

HayleyUK

Visit site
Almost wish I’d never said I’d come back and share my thoughts now.

Pancake is my 5yo Connie; fresh in Jan from Ireland and has done a sterling job of building my confidence after a terrible run of riding woes. She’s the sanest baby pony I’ve ever met, but balances it with being a responsive ride.

Usual dreamy self to get tacked up, didn’t blink at the shouty pony in the stables. Tempted fate by leading her to see the banners in the indoor; greeted with her usual lick and snuffle.

Stood next to the block; threw my leg over and was met with the BIGGEST squeak/jump followed by standing up manoeuvre... I gracefully dipped out taking my stirrup with me ? in utter shock to be honest - she never so much as blinks! Can’t decide if it was the wind, whiff of a foal or stallion, banner wiggled at the wrong moment or the sheer joys of a new place and some new ponies.

Popped back on and had a little walk round, some nice LY and SI to get the brain back between her ears and had a tentative trot to check no more circus pony antics.

Andy and Nia were bemused at her chilledness given the start of the session ?

Both were FULL of compliments for my little Connie, thought she was super smart just a bit babyish and needed some time and exposure.

Andy picked up on the fact I sit to the left, and then when we did the hands on part he really showed how my whole right side is deactivated and does nothing where my left side takes over.
When I got back on, I was really able to feel the difference between a ‘correct’ position and my weird default wiggling/tipping and god knows what position so super helpful.

I’d probably say you’d get more out of it with an established horse, but it’s another arena ticked off, an unscheduled dismount and a nice trot round to build some confidence so I’m pleased.

Will probably aim to go back in 3-6 months!

HayleyUK

Visit site
I did them in the kitchen this morning making a cup of tea... long may it continue.

I’m really keen to go back in 3 or 6 months and see what’s changed with us both.

Roxylola

Visit site
Finally managed to get a session with Andy again today. No leg wiggling required. I do (mostly) do my activation exercises before I ride. I've found doing them at home before I go to the yard is easier to fit in and still works for me.
So today we found I'd gone a smidge the other way and am now sitting left. I'd suspected it - Charlie was sitting me slightly right and I was crooked right; I straightened myself but was then so used to compensating for him.
However, following my own stuff, his Tom Beech stuff, and 3 months of hacking our canter transition is sluggish our arena medium has gone missing again but we are straight and managed some lateral work and some more open canter work.
We did some taped work to tidy me up somewhat and just enjoyed our second flat schooling session of 2021 ? Charlie was very much like what why do you want me to canter, there are no jumps ???
Really good to have a follow up that indicates we are going in the right direction though. And, Andy sees no reason why my PSG aspirations couldn't happen ???

scats

Visit site
Finally managed to get a session with Andy again today. No leg wiggling required. I do (mostly) do my activation exercises before I ride. I've found doing them at home before I go to the yard is easier to fit in and still works for me.
So today we found I'd gone a smidge the other way and am now sitting left. I'd suspected it - Charlie was sitting me slightly right and I was crooked right; I straightened myself but was then so used to compensating for him.
However, following my own stuff, his Tom Beech stuff, and 3 months of hacking our canter transition is sluggish our arena medium has gone missing again but we are straight and managed some lateral work and some more open canter work.
We did some taped work to tidy me up somewhat and just enjoyed our second flat schooling session of 2021 ? Charlie was very much like what why do you want me to canter, there are no jumps ???
Really good to have a follow up that indicates we are going in the right direction though. And, Andy sees no reason why my PSG aspirations couldn't happen ???

Sounds fab! I have my clinic with Andy tomorrow evening. I’m really looking forward to it and desperate to help get a fix for my wonkiness.