Another fatal dog attack

misst

Visit site
I have a tiny 5.5kg terrier - he is muzzled for procedures with the vet. He would prefer not to be muzzled but he cannot be trusted if he is going to experience discomfort. He is an ex stray and defensive if he feels threatened. The best thing for him, the vet, the nurses and me is to pop a muzzle on him when he needs one. He is fine really. If he had to wear one more often he would get used to it.

I have had people say they think I am cruel to "force" him to wear a muzzle when he doesn't want to. I think it is cruel to allow the vet to be bitten! Shock horror he is also neutered, chipped and wears a lead quite often!! He probably wouldn't chose these thing either if he was able to make that choice.

I would never consider not doing these things and giving him up. That would be cruel. He has a loving wonderful home and a great life. I do not understand these people who say they love their dog so much that they will pts or give it up.

misst

Visit site
Today on our next door website there is a go fund me for a lady who is a single parent with a staffy and a XLB who looks huge in the pictures. The XLB is "therapy" for her autistic son. She cannot afford to spay her so expects others to shell out for this. I have had to block it as it makes my blood boil. If you cannot afford you dog don't get one. She is saying the dog is an angel and her son cannot cope without her. I'm sure he is attached but why buy such a big dog when you already have a staffy and you are on a budget! FFS it must cost the earth to feed properly, never mind insure, worm, vaccinate .... oh no sorry - she probably doesn't do those things either! Sorry for the rant.

misst

Visit site
Either The Dogs Trust or Blue Cross were offering help with the costs of spaying or neutering
I do wonder why people feel it's ok to do these go fund me things for routine stuff. I don't know if anyone has suggested it to this woman as I have blocked the post and any follow up in case I get mad and go online saying something outrageous like why as a single mum with one dog did you get another you cannot afford to spay. Or was she intending to breed to fund stuff???
I'm not against go fund me things - I've donated in the past to some happily - but it should be for special circumstances not the blindingly obvious result of irresponsibility.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Having a quick look on Gumtree this evening there are a few older dogs (9 months +) being sold for around £200-£600 each, but there are at least as many adverts for litters of puppies for sale, all bred after the upcoming ban was confirmed.

It is great that more older dogs aren't being given away/sold, but I really hope that the greedy people who've continued to breed don't end up being responsible for puppies being dumped or PTS only a few weeks/months after being born because the ban kicks in and the breeder can't sell them all in time.

There are XLBx puppies for sale at £1,000-£1,500, in adverts with no mention of what the cross is, and no pictures of the parents. I am suspicious that they may be purebred but the breeders think they are more likely to sell if described as a crossbreed.

A more reasonable £650 (purebred XLB puppies), but bred post-ban announcement:

More young puppies (8wks), at £500, but the seller is offering a payment plan- if someone buying a puppy can't afford £500 up front then how are they going to neuter it and meet other veterinary needs?! They make a point of saying the bitch is a 'big baby' and has been brought up around children (doesn't confirm whether she ate any of them or not), and they say they will only let the puppies go to 'family homes' :oops:

I do also wonder if there will be a repeat of the 'micropig' problem, where people bought so-called micropigs as pets only for it to transpire that they were normal piglets and grew into massive pigs that the owners didn't want. There are a lot of puppies being described as 'standard' or 'American' bullies, and I wonder whether some of those puppies will actually grow to full XL size...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A three legged 5 month old XL bully puppy, anyone?

Don’t know his history, but someone is about to adopt him and wants to borrow a big crate as they haven’t got one.

Even with an equable temperament, such a big hefty breed of dog is going to struggle with three legs. They are not exactly light on their feet.

[153312]

Visit site

Don’t know his history, but someone is about to adopt him and wants to borrow a big crate as they haven’t got one.

Even with an equable temperament, such a big hefty breed of dog is going to struggle with three legs. They are not exactly light on their feet.
and if it's got what seems to be standard bully elbow conformation it's goign to be crippled by arthritis soon enough as well. That is just cruel imo :(

SilverLinings

Visit site
Out of interest I've just had a look on another couple of sites (Preloved and Pets 4 Homes), and there are a lot more older dogs being sold there (as well as puppies) thank on Gumtree.

Most of them seem to say it is a 'reluctant sale' and/or due to the ban, but not why they can't keep the dog.

There is a pregnant American Bully for sale which is very sad, English is poor in the description so not sure of reason for sale:

MurphysMinder

Visit site

I started to reply to that post pointing out that if they couldn’t afford a crate then maybe couldn’t afford all other things the dog would need , but just couldn’t be bothered.

Smitty

Visit site
I started to reply to that post pointing out that if they couldn’t afford a crate then maybe couldn’t afford all other things the dog would need , but just couldn’t be bothered.
My friend did this🙄. She borrowed a large crate for her puppy 12-13 years ago. No lack of money, she's just tight😂😂. Dog now on its last legs and the crate is it's home. Wants for nothing, insured, jabbed, at vets if it sneezes, comes on holiday in UK, adored by whole family. I am just wondering if the owner of the crate will get it back some 13/14 years later🤔. She flies all over the world on holidays but borrows a tent to camp for a night or two. And then keeps them 🤔.

Landcruiser

Visit site

Just bloody why? Why would anyone want a horror like this? A walking vet bill, barely able to walk or breathe or function as a DOG. The ad says she's had 2 litters (and the rest!) - we are way beyond the time that these poor deformed things should be outlawed by the KC, and removed from the show ring. This is so bloody cruel and un-necessary.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate (I'd happily see them gone in their entirety) - I don't think you'd see a bulldog of that level of exaggeration in the show ring today, and not just because of that one's colour. Until BOAS tests are mandatory for registration it's all just lip service anyhow but the show dogs are, mostly, more moderate in appearance than the pet bred 'big rope'/rainbow colours type.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Out of interest I've just had a look on another couple of sites (Preloved and Pets 4 Homes), and there are a lot more older dogs being sold there (as well as puppies) thank on Gumtree.

Most of them seem to say it is a 'reluctant sale' and/or due to the ban, but not why they can't keep the dog.

There is a pregnant American Bully for sale which is very sad, English is poor in the description so not sure of reason for sale:

That is from one of the worst, most deprived and roughest estates in that area. The sort of place you just dont go unless you are from there. There always seems to be money for dogs like that though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Just bloody why? Why would anyone want a horror like this? A walking vet bill, barely able to walk or breathe or function as a DOG. The ad says she's had 2 litters (and the rest!) - we are way beyond the time that these poor deformed things should be outlawed by the KC, and removed from the show ring. This is so bloody cruel and un-necessary.
No more litters I’m guessing so time to get rid.

Last edited:

Nasicus

Visit site

From their website:
Puppies for sale in Lincoln which are of high quality from Dachshunds, Cockapoo, Maltipoo, English Bulldog, Maltese & Cocker Spaniels.
So it's a council licensed puppy mill, grand!

cauda equina

Visit site
They're advertising these too

SilverLinings

Visit site
Programme about the XLB ban on BBC iPlayer:

I've only just started watching it, but so far there is certainly some footage that dispels the myth that they are all harmless 'babies' (if anyone actually still believes that), the power is incredible 😲

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
According to the programme the XLB breeders have already moved on to breeding and selling Kangals, anatolian shepherds and caucasian shepherds. They are being advertised as stronger and more aggressive than XLBs.

I'm pretty sure this thread spotted that coming some time ago!

This can only end with a ban on all dogs over certain weight and size criteria except under strictly controlled licence.

Bring it on.

Clodagh

Visit site
According to the programme the XLB breeders have already moved on to breeding and selling Kangals, anatolian shepherds and caucasian shepherds. They are being advertised as stronger and more aggressive than XLBs.

I'm pretty sure this thread spotted that coming some time ago!
Thank you for highlighting the program. I just watched it, it was interesting.
Sorry if this is spoiler (idk how to do the banner thing) but I thought William’s outcome was telling.
At the end of the day it’s dickheads that need banning but the law is a blunt instrument and this may at least give some breathing space. Not that the breathing space will be utilised in a constructive manner by government.
Rather mangling an old quote ‘the desire to own an XL bully should preclude you from being qualified to do so’.