Another fatal dog attack

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A bit like with children, dogs were disciplined in ways that are now frowned upon and actually treated like dogs yet we didn't have the problems we seem to have now. I remember folks who would kick their dogs out of the house for the day, a bit like you'd do with cats, to roam around unsupervised yet there seemed to be a lot less trouble with dogs than there is now.
In those days from what I remember 50's onwards, most dogs were mongrels, very few pedigrees and I don't recall seeing any bull breeds not even staffies. I think most were terrier or collie crosses/types. Each area in our town had its resident dog running loose and patrolling its territory. As kids we knew most of them as we didn't have a dog of our own so made do with the dogs we met. I can still remember one or two of them quite well. There weren't as many dogs as there are now either and they weren't pampered, spoiled furbabies, they were proper dogs.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I'd say most of us *have* dogs living in a normal, busy, active home? We are not the ones sending them to one or appealing for homes for them, from kennels, which was my point.

It would be nice to think that none of our dogs could end up in a rescue centre however we don't know what life has in store. Dogs are relinquished for all sorts of reasons - owner going into care, owner illness, loss of income and so on..

Dogs that thrive in a home with little stress or those that are managed very carefully in their current home might not do so well if rehomed to a different environment and some dogs would be more likely to resort to aggression than others.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
In those days from what I remember 50's onwards, most dogs were mongrels, very few pedigrees and I don't recall seeing any bull breeds not even staffies. I think most were terrier or collie crosses/types. Each area in our town had its resident dog running loose and patrolling its territory. As kids we knew most of them as we didn't have a dog of our own so made do with the dogs we met. I can still remember one or two of them quite well. There weren't as many dogs as there are now either and they weren't pampered, spoiled furbabies, they were proper dogs.

My mam had German Shepherds 40s/early 50s, they weren't allowed to roam.

When I was a child a Bedlington lived next door, I can remember the name of his owner but the name of the dog escapes me. There was a rather spoilt small poodle called Lola who lived a few doors down from us, she belonged to a couple with no children. Then there was a rather grubby mongrel called Prince who roamed the streets, the roads were quieter in those days.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Yes SD, I appreciate that, no one knows more than me that we don't know what's round the corner, my middle dog is with me because their owner died, they rang me in their final few days of life to ask me if I'd take him. Luckily he's a fantastic dog with a brilliant temperament.

I am lucky that another very good friend in dogs, who knows I am an only child with elderly parents and has dogs with similar breeding to mine, built extra kennels in a house refurb and has assured me that my dogs always have a place if anything happens and I have no concerns for either their or her safety if that were to happen.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I am lucky that another very good friend in dogs, who knows I am an only child with elderly parents and has dogs with similar breeding to mine, built extra kennels in a house refurb and has assured me that my dogs always have a place if anything happens and I have no concerns for either their or her safety if that were to happen.

You are indeed fortunate, not all of us are. Hence the big girl will be my last dog.

cloverlea

Visit site
If your area roaming dogs caused no bother you have been lucky. Where I lived when they found a bitch in season, a large pack formed, fighting in the middle of thhe road, stopping the traffic. My neighbours dog got out, ran to the pack and was killed by them. When I walked my dog a carried a stick.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Armed police are looking for this guy near where I live at the moment and he has a Cane Corso...presumably as an extra weapon in his aggressive arsenal. I wonder if it'll end in them catching him and shooting the dog. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg3nj5g7g9o

Probably. Many people view them as a weapon, symbol, or some other advertisement of aggression or toughness.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, as much as I love the breed, I rather see one that is aggressive or messed up (by a jacka** owner) euthanized. Shooting the dog won't be the worst thing that has or could happen to it.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Armed police are looking for this guy near where I live at the moment and he has a Cane Corso...presumably as an extra weapon in his aggressive arsenal. I wonder if it'll end in them catching him and shooting the dog. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crg3nj5g7g9o
As opposed to shooting him and catching the dog?

My views are not always viewed as "modern". But hey ho, they're mine and unless somebody can reason with me and get me to change my mind, I'll stick with them.

CrunchieBoi

Visit site

I clicked that link and could have sworn the headline was - Warning as armed officers confront village mutant.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
So my neighbourhood primary school has a situation where some people have taken up residence in a gated car park directly opposite the school gates, along with a very aggressive XL bully tied up in there apparently lunging at people as they walk past. It's on what was one of our regular loop routes we haven't done for ages as our dog has been taking us a different way or I've been taking her to nicer places in the car. Apparently this dog has been there for a week - really hoping something is done (yup I'm one of 'those'!) imminently.

some show

Visit site
Probably. Many people view them as a weapon, symbol, or some other advertisement of aggression or toughness.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, as much as I love the breed, I rather see one that is aggressive or messed up (by a jacka** owner) euthanized. Shooting the dog won't be the worst thing that has or could happen to it.
Turns out they've caught the guy and the dog's escaped, so is roaming the woods. A few locals have said they know him and the dog's not friendly (unsurprising, with that owner) so not sure how things'll turn out for it now :confused:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
So my neighbourhood primary school has a situation where some people have taken up residence in a gated car park directly opposite the school gates, along with a very aggressive XL bully tied up in there apparently lunging at people as they walk past. It's on what was one of our regular loop routes we haven't done for ages as our dog has been taking us a different way or I've been taking her to nicer places in the car. Apparently this dog has been there for a week - really hoping something is done (yup I'm one of 'those'!) imminently.

Oh give me strength! Now reading that apparently this dog is 'friendly' and he's been 'rescued' and the people with it are 'helping him be nice because he's been abused'. He 'just doesn't like fast moving things' so we need to not be 'hysterical' just because of the breed. No, no risk of any fast moving things like adults and children running/cycling/scooting past around a busy school entrance. And the people supposedly helping it by kicking it and keeping it out in the sun, and not putting a muzzle on it even though they know it needs help to be nice, are definitely the right people for that job. Yup... yup, nothing to see here.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Oh give me strength! Now reading that apparently this dog is 'friendly' and he's been 'rescued' and the people with it are 'helping him be nice because he's been abused'. He 'just doesn't like fast moving things' so we need to not be 'hysterical' just because of the breed. No, no risk of any fast moving things like adults and children running/cycling/scooting past around a busy school entrance. And the people supposedly helping it by kicking it and keeping it out in the sun, and not putting a muzzle on it even though they know it needs help to be nice, are definitely the right people for that job. Yup... yup, nothing to see here.

HOUSE!

Really, all the buzzwords covered.

I knew a dog handler who had to search a school once and said that all his dog (who was a very spicy Malinois) could see out in the playground was 'lots of screaming bite rolls'.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
HOUSE!

I knew a dog handler who had to search a school once and said that all his dog (who was a very spicy Malinois) could see out in the playground was 'lots of screaming bite rolls'.

Aaaall the red flags!

The person posting (whose child attends the school) updated that they have been in touch with the school and despite the school raising concerns neither the council, police, or landowner seem to be responding.

J&T

Visit site
More attacks , anyone else scared to even walk your dog with how many attacks are happening so frequently now?

It's scary how often this is happening now and yet nothing will be done it's so sad that more lives will be lost

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
As a 77 year old female with 2 tiny terriers and a whippet cross I don’t walk anywhere different now because I know most of the dogs that I meet and luckily, so far, we haven’t come across any large bull breeds. I admit I am now scared to meet bigger dogs that I don’t know as all of mine are non aggressive and wouldn’t fight back if attacked. Something needs to be done and the German shepherd who attacked the young girl in the street should be PTS immediately.. we need to make it more difficult to own a dog, especially the ones with the capacity to kill children or older people, I include myself in the older person bracket as I know I wouldn’t stand a chance against any of the larger breeds..

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
As a 77 year old female with 2 tiny terriers and a whippet cross I don’t walk anywhere different now because I know most of the dogs that I meet and luckily, so far, we haven’t come across any large bull breeds. I admit I am now scared to meet bigger dogs that I don’t know as all of mine are non aggressive and wouldn’t fight back if attacked. Something needs to be done and the German shepherd who attacked the young girl in the street should be PTS immediately.. we need to make it more difficult to own a dog, especially the ones with the capacity to kill children or older people, I include myself in the older person bracket as I know I wouldn’t stand a chance against any of the larger breeds..
I am in the same sort of situation as you and there are some lovely walks round here that I no longer do just in case. In fact I tend to only walk in our own field or adjacent footpath. As for fighting back, with these sort of dog attacks, very few dogs could stand up for themselves.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
HOUSE!

'ItS tHe OwNeR nOt ThE bReEd' - Greatest Hits now featuring bonus track: 'but they clearly love the dog'

Also it's okay to kick big dogs because the 'muscle and power' means it won't mean much to the dog. But we definitely shouldn't worry about said muscly powerful dog.

I have pointed out that good intentions are great but without the right actions will make little difference.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
More attacks , anyone else scared to even walk your dog with how many attacks are happening so frequently now?

It's scary how often this is happening now and yet nothing will be done it's so sad that more lives will be lost

I think one of those is in New Zealand isn't it?

Nasicus

Visit site

Oh god, that one makes my blood run cold, seeing the way it just starts ragging the poor dog. Genuinely feel sick.

maisie06

Visit site
I won't walk my dogs on the beach around here or TBH anywhere locally as Big bully breeds have become so popular here it's a nightmare to avoid them, so I pop mine in the car and drive to a lovely place that I have permission to use. TBH these dogs are going to be my last dogs. I love them dearly but they won't be replaced as things for law abiding owners are going to become very difficult in the future I feel

skinnydipper

Visit site
Why anyone would think it was a good idea to take a child to a reactive dog class is beyond me.

Thankfully not fatal.