Another fatal dog attack

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My goodness CC that is very extreme behaviour. If I lived in an urban area with that sort of nutter around, one of my very over protective and reactive labs would most definitely react very badly to someone walking past us even at that distance waving a large stick and shouting at us!

I would suggest neither she or her offspring should be allowed out in public without a muzzle and gag on.🤐

It's taken a fair amount of training and perhaps luck that my Cane Corso doesn't react. If she's very uncomfortable she may growl, start these muffled warning bark things, or raise her hackles. She did have her hackles raised once, but ultimately I've been able to keep things down. The Lab was excited at first (just looked with ears and face showing interest), but more in a curious way because she's a derp, but if I act normal and ignore, she generally does too.

My Corso says it goes against all things Corso to accept this as normal, but seems to accept that what I say goes! But my goodness it's a true test!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
That stick waving and yelling would wind up most dogs, I'd think.

Daft woman. Being wary of dogs is fine. Yelling at dogs and waving sticks at them when they are under control and minding their own business is not.

I was told about it once, and didn't realize how outrageous it was until I witnessed it.

It's a miracle that she hasn't been attacked.

There is a GSD and German Shorthair Pointer that are loose sometimes, and I'm surprised that nothing has happened there.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That stick waving and yelling would wind up most dogs, I'd think.

Daft woman. Being wary of dogs is fine. Yelling at dogs and waving sticks at them when they are under control and minding their own business is not.

I'm quite proud that there's a little kid who plays football on the green near my house, and his other little friend came to ask if my young dog was a German Shepherd because he (the other kid) was scared of them and when I showed them her doing a few tricks, that put his mind at rest and now he always says hello and doesn't run off when we walk past.

Jenko109

Visit site

Not in the UK, but videos from this moron keep popping up.

90% of the comments are along the lines of 'well done for helping this dog' blah blah blah.

She won't be told that the she is not the right home for this dog. Or indeed that this dog is perhaps not suited to any home. Ever.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Just read an update on a Facebook page from her son. Apparently the police have said it is a civil case and the owner has to keep it muzzled and on a lead!!!!

I'm sure that will happen 🙄.

How does this not come under 'dangerously out of control' (https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public)? How?!! To not even put it to court seems so wrong.

*not aimed at you btw Smitty, just sheer frustration at police.

Smitty

Visit site
How does this not come under 'dangerously out of control' (https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public)? How?!! To not even put it to court seems so wrong.

*not aimed at you btw Smitty, just sheer frustration at police.

I just dont know. I think there may be a variable across the force and possibly their workloads at the time.

eir workloads at the time.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Well I mean, for instance, my dogs who are trained in bitework are completely neutral walking down the town, as they are trained highly specifically to not react to anything 'normal' and only to target the guy coming at them, waving a stick and roaring at them....
Years ago, when I was still in primary school, we had a GSD who was a big softie with the family. One day we took her for a walk in the woods. The local TA/cadets were out doing some drills or something and came marching towards us (my mum, dad, sister and me). The group leader had a big stick he was swinging and the dog obviously thought he was about to have a go at her family. She went for him. It took us all by surprise. Fortunately she was on her lead and my dad managed to keep control. The army chap was actually pretty good and understanding and apologised, admitting it was foolish to approach a large dog swinging what could easily be considered a weapon. I never saw that dog be aggressive to anyone else whilst we had her. We did have a bit of a giggle after, at the way the troops all scattered when the dog went for their boss. We were lucky though, it could have ended badly for both sides.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have always been against banning certain breeds but the XL bully is so powerful and getting more common I now feel that they should be banned..even a caring, sensible owner would have trouble holding one of these dogs back if they wanted to attack . Although , so far, I haven’t seen any in my area, I am much more alert when I’m walking my dogs and will avoid larger dogs of any breed as I worry for my little dogs safety, my walks are not now such a pleasure..

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I have always been against banning certain breeds but the XL bully is so powerful and getting more common I now feel that they should be banned..even a caring, sensible owner would have trouble holding one of these dogs back if they wanted to attack . Although , so far, I haven’t seen any in my area, I am much more alert when I’m walking my dogs and will avoid larger dogs of any breed as I worry for my little dogs safety, my walks are not now such a pleasure..
Only one advert in 3 pages of Pets4homes. Was just checking prices of springer puppies, they’ve dropped and re-visiting the Keeshond advert-3 puppies still for sale at 14 weeks, most unusual, would frankly go and get one if my OH would only agree! 🙈

Nasicus

Visit site

"Blame the breed, not the owner: the truth about American Bully XLs"​

This article linked in this one is a lot more expanded and worth a read too!

Fjord

Visit site
I haven't read through the whole thread, so forgive me if I am repeating what has already been said. Having a dog that is capable of doing such damage as an XL Bully just seems mad. I know many are owned by people who want to look tough, and unfortunately a lot of owners would rather have a dog that looks or acts a bit aggressive than spend lots of time training them properly.

I know all dogs are capable of damage, but it's almost like having a tame lion compared with a normal moggy. The moggy can turn and do damage, the tame lion could turn and take your head off. An over exaggerated comparison I know, sorry.

I have met an XL Bully, she was sweet and friendly. However the owner would have had no chance of holding her had she tried to really pull away and the size of her jaw was incredible. She wasn't as big as they can be either.

Looks wise, I actually think a lot of pit bulls are rather pretty, and many people have them in America. The XL is no where near as nice looking I don't think.

I'm not a dog owner, I've got no answers but it is seriously scary.

Jenko109

Visit site
I also don't understand how a dog that is plainly and obviously "of pitbull type", i.e. the XL Bully (I mean, it's even there in the name....) isn't automatically included.

Well quite.

My understanding was that these dogs were created using a mixture of existing bull breeds, including the pitbull terrier.

It is illegal to own a pitbull cross in the UK.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I also don't understand how a dog that is plainly and obviously "of pitbull type", i.e. the XL Bully (I mean, it's even there in the name....) isn't automatically included.
I think it is because they used the breed standard dimensions and description to define what a 'pitbull' was (to avoid inadvertently banning staffies). The XL gets around this by being big enough to be off the upper end of the dimensional definition of 'pitbull'

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I think because they determine pit bull type by certain measurements of the head and these XL bullies are outside that so are not deemed pit bulls. Measurements are a pretty hit and miss way of assessing them, I believe some Labradors and staffies have measured 'in' in the past. You would think size and look alone should be enough.

Reactions: JJS

Pippity

Visit site
This happened on one of my hacking routes a few weeks back, but not to anybody I know personally. Doesn't say how the horse is.

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/23701237.woman-injured-falling-horse-chased-dog/

"A woman was left with injuries after falling from a horse when two men let a dog off its lead during a "frightening incident" last month.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said at around 6.50pm on Thursday, July 6, they received reports of a woman being injured following an incident in Altrincham.
Officers understand that the woman was riding her horse in a field near to the Woodhouse Lane Waste and Recycling Centre, in an area known as The Moss.
Two men were said to have approached the woman before letting a pitbull off its lead.

The dog chased the horse and the rider fell off the horse at speed which left her with injuries which are not thought to be life-threatening or life changing.
The two men then left the area."

There's a photo of the scrotes responsible.

SilverLinings

Visit site

windswoo

Visit site
Years ago, when I was still in primary school, we had a GSD who was a big softie with the family. One day we took her for a walk in the woods. The local TA/cadets were out doing some drills or something and came marching towards us (my mum, dad, sister and me). The group leader had a big stick he was swinging and the dog obviously thought he was about to have a go at her family. She went for him. It took us all by surprise. Fortunately she was on her lead and my dad managed to keep control. The army chap was actually pretty good and understanding and apologised, admitting it was foolish to approach a large dog swinging what could easily be considered a weapon. I never saw that dog be aggressive to anyone else whilst we had her. We did have a bit of a giggle after, at the way the troops all scattered when the dog went for their boss. We were lucky though, it could have ended badly for both sides.
Our girls are exactly the same and it's because they're from Romania. We were told when we had them, that due to the stray dog problem people walk around with sticks to literally protect themselves from being attacked.
They're not as bad now, but were quite reactive when we first had them, especially if the walker was swinging said stick around. We always asked for the person to stop and to be fair most would especially when we explained the situation.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I understand why the police are asking the owner to come forward but surely that won't happen as either they weren't there so won't know that their dog attacked a child, or they were there but were keeping a low profile/did a runner as soon as they saw the dog was causing trouble.
I think they’re rightly concerned that they’ll have the dog taken off them. It’s very unusual to have a dog freely roaming these days, so maybe it escaped or just did a runner from the owner. Maybe the owner is unaware? The guy with the three dogs that attacked the woman came forward after a week or so, I think it was, handed over the dogs to the police, they would be too hot to handle, I imagine.