Another fatal dog attack

twiggy2

Visit site
I was chatting to a lady the other day who has taken to walking her little dog with a hammer in her coat pocket because of these XL Bully attacks now...
Bloody he'll, that's a bit extreme, I reckon she would be better off carrying something to keep the other dog at bay rather than try to stop it once it has started.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I would batter a dog that was hell bent on attacking the JRT with anything that I had to hand. I'd rather have a long pointy stick to fend the attacker off, but that might not be sturdy enough to deter an XL bully or similar.

I'd have no qualms about attempting to deliver a fatal blow to the aggressor if my dog was under a true vicious attack, not a 'handbags' attack.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I often think about what I would do to try and save my dogs from a serious attack. Those big bully types terrify me.
Same. I don't carry anything but it was really on my mind at one point. I'd like to think I'd do whatever it took to stop my dog being killed, or myself! When you read about tasers and wheelie bins being employed by multiple police officers it's hard to imagine what the average person out walking their dog could do in a worst-case scenario.

Clodagh

Visit site
Mentally I could kill the other dog, but tbh I don’t carry a gun or an axe or a machete so physically I’d be unable to.
Breaking up dog fights in Australia we used to throttle them, the urge to breathe will eventually mean they will loosen their grip. If you hit them/twist their testicles/ hurt them in any way they just grip on harder. So really a short stick you could put in their collar and twist might work. But if they redirect you want your helper to be on the ball, and you need to keep your dog pushed up against them so they can’t pull and rag. Technically very difficult and a lot of calm required.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Big long heavy choke chain FTW. In the best case scenario it can be swung fast in a loop to make a barrier/whooshy noise or thrown at the ground near an approaching dog to make an unpleasant noise.
It also can be used to loop over the aggressor's head to choke it off in the event of a fight. It has many applications, 🙃 doesn't take up too much room in a pocket and looks pretty innocuous.
Sometimes I also even use it to train my dog the cue for 'we're working now' but it is so big, she looks like BA Baracus in it.
I also carry a very thin slip collar with a handle in another pocket.

skinnydipper

Visit site
If we are talking XL bullies then I think once the fecker has got hold of your dog then getting it off is only part of the problem, if you manage it you then have to somehow restrain 55kg of solid muscle and avoid redirected aggression.

I have a can of K9-17 spray but I don't carry it now, it stinks and anything you carry it in stinks, and the last time one of my dogs was attacked it happened so fast I couldn't get to the spray in time. OH was with me, he hauled the dog off (a lab) while I restrained my poor dog who despite being ill was going to do his best to defend himself.

If you are on your own then frankly you're up shit creek.

Pepper spray is illegal in the UK.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
A stick or pepper spray or a loud horn, I honestly don't think I could bring myself to batter a dog over the head with a hammer.
In theory I don't think I could either. However, if one of my labs was being ripped apart in front of me I think I might overcome my squeamish aversion to killing pretty much anything.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I was told by a "person" involved in dog fighting that the most reliable way to break a dogs grip is to shove a finger up it's bum. Never had a chance to test it. A bucket of water or a hose does work, but not always to hand when needed.

Clodagh

Visit site
I was told by a "person" involved in dog fighting that the most reliable way to break a dogs grip is to shove a finger up it's bum. Never had a chance to test it. A bucket of water or a hose does work, but not always to hand when needed.
A bucket of water does no good at all if a bull breed has a good grip of anything.

BBP

Visit site
Three XL bullies have just moved in to my village next to a friend of mine. First ones I’ve seen locally. I haven’t met them out walking yet. My friend said she saw one of the dogs out in the garden a couple of days ago. It was chewing on a bone and it’s owner was a couple of metres away chatting to someone. Their little daughter (about 2 years old) apparently toddled up to the dog, grabbed it’s bone and took it away, and was then waving the bone around and patting the dog on the head. Friend said the dog was exceptionally tolerant and good natured about it, but that she (friend) was terrified watching. It sounded to me like exactly the sort of situation that gets little kids hurt and not the dogs fault.

meleeka

Visit site
I read the best way of getting a dog to let go is to lift it up by the back legs, so like a wheelbarrow. I’ve no idea if it works and I hope I never have to find out.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Three XL bullies have just moved in to my village next to a friend of mine. First ones I’ve seen locally. I haven’t met them out walking yet. My friend said she saw one of the dogs out in the garden a couple of days ago. It was chewing on a bone and it’s owner was a couple of metres away chatting to someone. Their little daughter (about 2 years old) apparently toddled up to the dog, grabbed it’s bone and took it away, and was then waving the bone around and patting the dog on the head. Friend said the dog was exceptionally tolerant and good natured about it, but that she (friend) was terrified watching. It sounded to me like exactly the sort of situation that gets little kids hurt and not the dogs fault.

This type of sh*t bothers me.

Jenko109

Visit site
Not sure carrying a hammer is legal as its classed as an offensive weapon. Pepper spray sound like is might be too but probably more effective

I imagine it's legal if you can justify a reason for doing so.

'I have a hammer because I'm nipping in to see a friend to help put some pictures up on my way home' - Fine.

'I'm carrying this hammer so I have a weapon to assist me in caving a dogs sculls in' - Not so fine 😅