Another fatal dog attack

twiggy2

Visit site
I got as far as Adam saying 'There's no need for breeds to be banned - we can just educate the public'
Good luck with that then mate!
You should have watched ore of it, he speaks sense but I am not sure what he suggests is possible.
Those that breed these dogs as a cash flow will never follow the law.

cauda equina

Visit site
You should have watched ore of it, he speaks sense but I am not sure what he suggests is possible.
Those that breed these dogs as a cash flow will never follow the law.
Oh thanks, I will then

However as SadKen says, bad people will do what bad people will do and no education in the world will stop that
The rest of us deserve to be protected from other people's greed, stupidity, whatever

Moobli

Visit site
Oh thanks, I will then

However as SadKen says, bad people will do what bad people will do and no education in the world will stop that
The rest of us deserve to be protected from other people's greed, stupidity, whatever
But how are we being protected when banning certain breeds just makes these type of people choose another large, powerful breed that isn’t yet banned?

SadKen

Visit site
The problem is that banning breeds or types doesn’t work either.l but surely something needs to change?

100%. Trouble is, none of the solutions proposed are likely to work. There aren’t enough police to enforce existing legislation. There is no appetite when people are actually charged with a crime to issue a proper deterrent. And blanket dog licences are pointless because the usual suspects won’t get them, and they don’t stop dog attacks in and of themselves.

All I could even think of is seizing dogs which are out of control, pts, ban future dog ownership of any kind for life, and take some stuff off the prat involved. As much as possible. Again that has problems because it’s frequently poor people who own the dogs and they don’t have anything that can legitimately be taken from them. Plus proving dangerously out of control before an attack happens is difficult.

There really isn’t a solution beyond social pressure. If these dogs weren’t fashionable money makers the bad people wouldn’t have them or breed them. It Needs influencers and role models for that segment of society to start making small and even tempered dogs fashionable.

To some degree you are seeing this with Mali owners. I’ve met a few locally and they were new to the breed, but they didn’t want the dog for the way it looked particularly, but to try and replicate the training they have seen on tv and in movies. There was an understanding that the dog doesn’t come as seen in John Wick, and training was a big part of the social cachet of a Mali. An untrained Mali has no social cachet, whereas a XL bully straining on a lead with cropped ears does, to the idiot category who are buying and breeding them.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I watched all of the video and agreed with what he said.. banning the breed is likely to happen IMO but we really need controls on back yard breeding of all dogs as Adam suggested. Our police are so stretched I doubt they will be able to be effective in seizing dogs / getting all the evidence to prosecute etc . If breeders are getting silly money they will continue and these dogs will still be sold to anyone who has the money regardless of their competence ..

cauda equina

Visit site
But how are we being protected when banning certain breeds just makes these type of people choose another large, powerful breed that isn’t yet banned?
Obviously, we're not
I don't know what the answer is but expecting people to behave responsibly isn't going to work either, because too many people are dicks
The current laws on dog ownership aren't being enforced as there are so many stories (including on the Irresponsible Owners thread) of repeat offenders - dogs out of control or escaping and no sanctions applied.
Strict enforcement of the DDA would be a good place to start

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I didn't realise you don't have dog licensing over there. Dogs are licensed here, and we have dog wardens, and they do check and they do impound unlicensed and stray dogs. There are of course some unlicensed dogs, and we have had a couple of awful dog attacks (by the usual suspects, XL bullies), but nothing like as many as seem to be happening in UK.

If you have an aggressive dog, if someone is bitten, you will be prosecuted and the dog will be euthanized.

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm not an expert but my guess would be that the dog in question is a cross, a hybrid.

It's facies seem different somehow from an American Bulldog.

View attachment 112138

American Bulldog on the left, APBT on the right.

American-Bulldog-vs-Pitbull-900x500.jpg

It's an American Bully rather than an American Bulldog. They are different.

This looks quite standard for an XL bully (insofar as there is a standard; there is a wide variety of them).

I don't know which I dislike more. The XL bullies and the sheer size and power they have or the exotic bullies, which are bred to look like frogs and can barely function.

hqcs57de8fn71.jpg copy.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
They won’t, imo, they reintroduce dog licensing here as although it should ultimately self fund it would cost to start with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

This looks quite standard for an XL bully (insofar as there is a standard; there is a wide variety of them).

I don't know which I dislike more. The XL bullies and the sheer size and power they have or the exotic bullies, which are bred to look like frogs and can barely function.

View attachment 112211

Poor bloody mutant creatures 😡

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site

View attachment 112211
Surely to God deliberately breeding a poor dog to look like that should be illegal!! 🤬 By doing so the obvious health issues the animal will suffer let alone poor quality of life should be an act of deliberate cruelty?😢

Moobli

Visit site

cauda equina

Visit site
From the article above:

Max, who regularly is taken for walks in Hampstead Heath and Gladstone Park, is described as a “friendly” dog who loves to approach and play with other pups during his leisure time.

Medhi recalls how he tried to take Max away after the other dog owner frantically shouted “danger, danger”.

But “in a matter of seconds”, he said the two XL bullies bit and mauled Max.

He said: “And then he [the other owner] lost control of one of the dogs, the leash was on the ground and he fell over.

It sounds as if the attackers were minding their own business before the collie went over to 'play'
It's desperately sad for the collie but his owner is not blameless

stangs

Visit site
XL Bully dogs attacked a border collie puppy in a London park. The video shows one dog shaking the collie just like a terrier with a rat. Very distressing 😢

On the one hand, if he thought his dogs showed prey drive or aggression to other dogs, they should have been muzzled as a precaution. Lots of dogs off leash in Gladstone Park whenever I go there. On the other hand, why would you let your puppy approach a big dog without checking first with the owner? The dogs might not have been aggressive; they could have just been very boisterous with other dogs, and even that would make it an unpleasant experience for a puppy.

Also quite confused by the description. Can't see a video but, in the screengrab, it looks like one bully is on a leash and uninterested in the proceedings. The GoFundMe states that "The owner stumbled and lost control of his two massive dogs" but the article states that "he [the other owner] lost control of one of the dogs, the leash was on the ground and he fell over." So I'm not inclined to trust much coming out of the puppy owner's mouth either.

Distressing for everyone involved.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
From the article above:

Max, who regularly is taken for walks in Hampstead Heath and Gladstone Park, is described as a “friendly” dog who loves to approach and play with other pups during his leisure time.

Medhi recalls how he tried to take Max away after the other dog owner frantically shouted “danger, danger”.

He said: “And then he [the other owner] lost control of one of the dogs, the leash was on the ground and he fell over.

It sounds as if the attackers were minding their own business before the collie went over to 'play'
I agree that the collie's owner was wrong to allow his dog to approach others, especially as it sounds like the others were on a lead minding their own business until his dog ran up (article says that during the incident one lead was dropped). The owner of the XLs was walking them on a lead, shouted a warning...

However, I also think his dogs should have been muzzled as he knew there was a danger as soon as the other dog ran up. Dogs running up is a foreseeable incident and he knew his dogs may cause a danger.

I once had a GSD who was wonderfully friendly. We had a big playing field near us where one half was kept cut for kids and a second part was left rough for dogs. It was a proper dog club up there, we would all go, unleash, the dogs had a fine time. Until one woman, with 5 dogs, had her pack attack mine, who was minding his own business. Two of them were literally hanging off his ruff as the others bit. He tried his best to simply escape, it was awful.

She claimed one of hers was injured, as they ran round her with my dog's fluff in their mouths.

After that, he was wary of others. Evenings on the field were over and he was defensive of groups of dogs, although other single dogs were still welcome. I started to muzzle him, as I could not guarantee his reaction of a group of dogs ran at him. Yes, it would have been the 'fault' of the owner to not allow a group of dogs to run at mine whilst he was on a lead, but at the same time I have to be in control of my dog.

I hated the muzzle. It was a factor in buying my own place with my own land so he could roam at home!

Moobli

Visit site
From the article above:

Agreed. But anyone who knows their dogs are likely to maul other dogs who approach should surely either muzzle their dog or avoid very busy public parks where there is a high chance of meeting other dogs not on lead. In an ideal world no dog would run over to others uninvited but the reality is that this does sometimes happen.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And blanket dog licences are pointless because the usual suspects won’t get them, and they don’t stop dog attacks in and of themselves.

I think there is a point to licences if the money raised can pay for dog wardens to investigate and possibly prosecute the owners of unlicensed and/ or out off control dogs.

Clodagh

Visit site
I was walking 4 of mine at Westward Ho! And a small fluffy called Lolalolalolalolalola came up to them and bounced around them. Silly of owner I thought. Then Lolalolalolalolalola ran up to two American Bullies (I guess) and bounced around them, too. Owner of Lolalolalolalolalola still made no effort to go and get her, just trotted around laughing and saying ‘oh she loves other dogs’. Luckily the big dogs were all fine but that could have gone south very quickly.

ETA was in the car park so mine and the bullies were on leads.

In the park incident I feel sorry for all concerned. Trouble is with the bull breeds they are so strong and bred to grip and rag.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I was walking 4 of mine at Westward Ho! And a small fluffy called Lolalolalolalolalola came up to them and bounced around them. Silly of owner I thought. Then Lolalolalolalolalola ran up to two American Bullies (I guess) and bounced around them, too. Owner of Lolalolalolalolalola still made no effort to go and get her, just trotted around laughing and saying ‘oh she loves other dogs’. Luckily the big dogs were all fine but that could have gone south very quickly.
The big girl, on her lead, has had a small terrier barking and trying to bite her legs. I had to shout at the gormless owner to come and get hold of his off leash dog.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
Not good! I do see a time in the future when all dogs will need to be on lead in public.

I never thought I would say it, but I am coming round to this idea.

I have recently changed my walking routine, walking more in areas with fewer dogs and following @Tiddlypom's post about the stately home, for a small annual fee we now have access to 200 acres where all dogs must be kept on lead.

Thanks, TP :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I never thought I would say it, but I am coming round to this idea.

I have recently changed my walking routine, walking more in areas with fewer dogs and following @Tiddlypom's post about the stately home, for a small annual fee we now have access to 200 acres where all dogs must be kept on lead.

Thanks, TP :)

I'm the same. Friend and I have decided it is far more relaxing to walk our GSDs in areas where dogs are supposed to be on lead (hoping to visit the stately home Tiddlypom mentioned in the next couple of weeks). We're going on holiday in June to a place which has 18 acres of fully fenced woodland, you can go in and put a padlock on gate so no one else will be there, it is bliss.