Another fatal dog attack

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
With the child outside the shop, whilst it may well be an utterly unprovoked attack on a child, there 'could' be more to it.

I wince when I see dogs tied up unattended outside a shop, and then people seem to think it fine to let their children approach them for a stroke and cuddle, with no owner in sight. I'm forever fending toddlers off from running up and pinning our current (and previous) JRTs to the ground in a hug, with gormless parents watching on. Our JRTs have always loved children so would almost certainly be fine, but it's so unfair on any dog.

asmp

Visit site
With the child outside the shop, whilst it may well be an utterly unprovoked attack on a child, there 'could' be more to it.

I wince when I see dogs tied up unattended outside a shop, and then people seem to think it fine to let their children approach them for a stroke and cuddle, with no owner in sight. I'm forever fending toddlers off from running up and pinning our current (and previous) JRTs to the ground in a hug, with gormless parents watching on. Our JRTs have always loved children so would almost certainly be fine, but it's so unfair on any dog.
I was nipped on the arm once by a dog tied up outside a shop. All I did was walk past it 🙄

Dexter

Visit site

There is more to it, but I'm not sure the child or parent are too blame. Quote from the mother:

it was a pocket bully it is savaged my 5 year old daughters cheek of after the owner said she could. Stroke him she's been down to theatre this morning

misst

Visit site
I know it’s shallow and she is lucky to be alive but she’s got a whole life of dealing with the social stigma of scarring. A friend of mine was thrown through a car windscreen as a small child and has lots of scars, she’s ok about them now but as a teen and a young woman she really struggled.
It's not shallow it's really important. Facial scarring causes significant psychological problems for most people. Poor child and parents - the fear felt must be horrific.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Suspended jail term for the parents of the baby killed by the husky

Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight said the couple's attempts to save their child would "undoubtedly haunt them for eternity".
She said Kyra was a "very much wanted and loved baby" and that the couple had put plans in place to keep their daughter and the dogs apart.
"There was nothing to trigger [Blizzard's] attack on Kyra, but on this occasion she was dangerously out of control," judge Sjolin Knight said.
"Dog ownership is a privilege and for many a pleasure, but it comes with a heavy burden under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
"[Blizzard] did an awful thing which neither of you expected and will weigh heavily upon you for the rest of your lives."
The judge questioned whether the attack could have been "reasonably foreseen" and said it was the result of a "tragic conjunction of circumstances".

Clodagh

Visit site
Suspended jail term for the parents of the baby killed by the husky

Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight said the couple's attempts to save their child would "undoubtedly haunt them for eternity".
She said Kyra was a "very much wanted and loved baby" and that the couple had put plans in place to keep their daughter and the dogs apart.
"There was nothing to trigger [Blizzard's] attack on Kyra, but on this occasion she was dangerously out of control," judge Sjolin Knight said.
"Dog ownership is a privilege and for many a pleasure, but it comes with a heavy burden under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
"[Blizzard] did an awful thing which neither of you expected and will weigh heavily upon you for the rest of your lives."
The judge questioned whether the attack could have been "reasonably foreseen" and said it was the result of a "tragic conjunction of circumstances".
That seems fair. They must be living in hell.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Having seen a photo of the dog which bit the child on the face, why on earth would any parent think that it was a good idea to allow their 5 year daughter to approach it and to stroke it on the head?

I'd be giving it a wide berth.

The dog has been put down now.

Although it is not a breed I care for, in the dog's defence the dog's owner should not have put their dog in that position.

A dog may be fine with children or grandchildren that doesn't mean to say it would be happy with a strange child right in its face.*

People should know their dog well enough to know when it would not be comfortable about a situation and not be afraid to be their dog's advocate.

* I don't know if this particular dog had been in contact with any children previously.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think it is incumbent upon parents to impart to their children that even if they have dogs at home, that not all dogs are friendly. My mother did try her best but I was an absolute nightmare, I used to go up to every dog and had no fear whatsoever.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think it is incumbent upon parents to impart to their children that even if they have dogs at home, that not all dogs are friendly. My mother did try her best but I was an absolute nightmare, I used to go up to every dog and had no fear whatsoever.

My daughter was the same till she was about 5, then eventually started listening to me. Not ideal when every weekend was at agility competitions but luckily she never met a dog who was anything but friendly.

Dexter

Visit site

But she asked the owner first and they said it was ok. I wouldn't let a child within 10 feet of any sort of bully type dog, but if they had them at home and they were fine with the kid then I can see why mum thought it would be ok.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Although it is not a breed I care for, in the dog's defence the dog's owner should not have put their dog in that position.

A dog may be fine with children or grandchildren that doesn't mean to say it would be happy with a strange child right in its face.*

People should know their dog well enough to know when it would not be comfortable about a situation and not be afraid to be their dog's advocate.

* I don't know if this particular dog had been in contact with any children previously.

That's a huge part of the problem. Dog owners or people in general putting dogs in positions they should not be put into. Whether it's living in a tiny flat with a XL Bully that you don't care to exercise or train, whether it's letting your child run up to a dog and yank on the dogs ears, or just not being your dog's advocate.

I got a bit firm with someone once. You could see that my dog was uncomfortable and I said she's uncomfortable, please keep your distance. The person insisted that they could make friends with the dog and that, somehow, me allowing them to approach and pet said scared dog would be the answer. I explained to them that it doesn't work that way. If a dog is getting more nervous the more you approach them, listen to the damn dog and stop doing whatever it is that you're doing that's making them uncomfortable. They're telling you that they're uncomfortable and don't want you to approach. What will it take for you to listen? A bite to the face?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
But she asked the owner first and they said it was ok. I wouldn't let a child within 10 feet of any sort of bully type dog, but if they had them at home and they were fine with the kid then I can see why mum thought it would be ok.

Then there's a responsibility on the parent to not encourage a child to approach a strange dog outside a shop/take note of the dog's body language and owner's demeanour, and also for the owner to recognise that it might not be the best idea either.

I do get a lot of requests to pat my dogs and it goes like so:

1. Yes, go ahead
2. Yes, but only on his back and sides and try to stay side-on, he does not like having his head touched or being loomed over.
3. (Depending on who asks) She's very hyper and she might jump all over you so it's probably best if you don't this time/if you could please keep very low to the ground and speak to/touch her calmly as she gets excited very easily. Or if I can see she does not like the cut of someone's jib 'Sorry, she is in a funny mood today, maybe we'll see you some other time when she's in better form'.

Clodagh

Visit site
Then there's a responsibility on the parent to not encourage a child to approach a strange dog outside a shop/take note of the dog's body language and owner's demeanour, and also for the owner to recognise that it might not be the best idea either.

I do get a lot of requests to pat my dogs and it goes like so:

1. Yes, go ahead
2. Yes, but only on his back and sides and try to stay side-on, he does not like having his head touched or being loomed over.
3. (Depending on who asks) She's very hyper and she might jump all over you so it's probably best if you don't this time/if you could please keep very low to the ground and speak to/touch her calmly as she gets excited very easily. Or if I can see she does not like the cut of someone's jib 'Sorry, she is in a funny mood today, maybe we'll see you some other time when she's in better form'.
I just say ‘no, I’m sorry, they aren’t friendly’. Blanket misery guts, me.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't think that you're being a blanket misery guts. IMHO it's just sensible not to let random strangers fuss and pet your dogs.
Tbh they aren’t very friendly anyway. I do t try to make them so. Works for me in a rural life, I accept I’d have to put more effort in if I saw more people.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mitch is headshy, Goose isn’t and Bear loves everyone. He has been my ‘community’ dog forever and I regularly offer old enough children (not toddlers who might accidentally smack him) a pat. Anyone can touch him, as long as they approach from where he can see and don’t surprise him, especially now he’s hard of hearing.

windand rain

Visit site
Sadly people are still deliberately putting babies at risk there was a Facebook post today of a rottweiler with its paws possessively around a tiny baby with a very disturbing expression on its face. It looked like a set up with a distressed dog. Comments were 100% saying how cute it was. I was horrified