Anyone seen swelling like this?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm 75% sure hes had it before for mud fever. Its definitely been prescribed previously to one of mums horses for something. I cant remember vinnie's MF ever being that bad though so I might be remembering wrong unless he got it when he punctured his elbow (walking (hopping) vet bill that horse!)

I did ask about cream and vet said no for now but that might change once the swelling is down and treating the sores becomes a priority?

Thanks

Another solution other than cream is that silver antibacterial spray nothing stick to it and it acts as a barrier, you can just buy that no prescription not expensive like flamazine but it's quite similar, I would ask your vet about it

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Another solution other than cream is that silver antibacterial spray nothing stick to it and it acts as a barrier, you can just buy that no prescription not expensive like flamazine but it's quite similar, I would ask your vet about it

Thanks have a vet prescribed steroidal cream to apply twice daily for now.

Nothing else is to go on his leg and hes started on oral steroids too in the hope it kick starts his lymphatic system.

The cream (only used 3x, waiting until after my clipping attempt today to apply the morning dose) appears to be drying up his leg and there isnt as much oozing - frantically touching wood.

@Red-1 I tried calling Trinity but the consultant wasnt available. I had a couple of missed calls frommvarious numbers so one might have been him. I'll try again monday as desperately need to try everything to get the lymphatic system working.

Last night was the first time its dawned on me that we might lose him despite all of this, from a fat leg?! It was the vet calling after hours, when hes now off on holiday, having arranged additional meds that he didnt really want to use previously. My vet is amazing and I'm so grateful that he is doing his utmost to save V and get him healthy again. It just hit me how there is still a very long road to go and how slow the progress has been. Monday is the start of week 3...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks have a vet prescribed steroidal cream to apply twice daily for now.

Nothing else is to go on his leg and hes started on oral steroids too in the hope it kick starts his lymphatic system.

The cream (only used 3x, waiting until after my clipping attempt today to apply the morning dose) appears to be drying up his leg and there isnt as much oozing - frantically touching wood.

@Red-1 I tried calling Trinity but the consultant wasnt available. I had a couple of missed calls frommvarious numbers so one might have been him. I'll try again monday as desperately need to try everything to get the lymphatic system working.

Last night was the first time its dawned on me that we might lose him despite all of this, from a fat leg?! It was the vet calling after hours, when hes now off on holiday, having arranged additional meds that he didnt really want to use previously. My vet is amazing and I'm so grateful that he is doing his utmost to save V and get him healthy again. It just hit me how there is still a very long road to go and how slow the progress has been. Monday is the start of week 3...

I would as the liquid has been very successful for a lot of people. It must be a diuretic as mine pee'ed for England while he was on it. It sorted him out the twice we have used it, from tree trunk legs and sore skin to normal, within a week.

Brownmare

Visit site
I'm very late to this thread and horrified at the ordeal you and your poor horse are going through! I wanted to post to offer support and a couple of suggestions that may help you. One of my horses gets LV and had it really badly in November/December last year. Nothing I did seemed to help (usual steroid cream made no difference along with many other creams etc) and I was getting very worried then a neighbour told me about a product called Immunall that had really helped one of her horses. I bought the smallest bottle available and it turned her around almost straight away, the weeping stopped, the skin went back to its normal colour and the swelling came down. I had also ordered a set of Silver Whinney Sox which helped a lot too and she is still wearing them for 24/7 turnout and her skin is completely back to normal already. Neither are cheap options but they are definitely worth every penny. I really hope your horse recovers soon x

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi TPO, I'm really sorry to hear of poor Vinnie's poorly leg.

I don't know if this would be useful, but just in case it is of use....

My horse (TBx) had a bad case of Cellulitis and lymphangitis on his foreleg with swelling up to his elbow. The wound was a small over reach on the back of his pastern. The skin was exuding serum like poor Vinnie's. In the end the vet recommended Kaltostat Alginate dressings which are especially good for human patients with ulcers. You put the dressing on and it can stay in place for a few days so you don't need to disturb the skin. The dressing breaks down with the exudate and forms a thick gel which helps the skin heal.

Strangely enough, unconnected but I ended up in hospital with a nasty dose of Cellulitis on my leg as a result of an insect bite on the side of my calf. I was in for a fortnight as it turned into septicemia, so I was on drips etc to get it under control. Anyway, they also used the Kaltostat dressings on my leg and the wound healed really well and it was nice not to have fresh dressings put on every day!

I hope Vinnie gets well soon!

Surbie

Visit site
Have just read all the thread and didn't realise you'd been battling this so long. Am so sorry - I hope he turns the corner soon.

Squeak

Visit site
No useful suggestions from me either, just adding my get better soon wishes. Really hope that the steroids help.

SEL

Visit site
Checked in hoping for better news. Sending as many vibes as I virtually can to you and Vinnie - your vet sounds like they are doing everything they can do fingers crossed those steroids start to work **hugs**

Last edited:

LeneHorse

Visit site
Sending vibes. You must be totally exhausted by now with all this going on. I really hope you don't get any of this snow and ice which is forecast for the next few days and can continue your walking programme.

TPO

Visit site
He seems a bit better. The steroid cream is working wonders at drying the leg up so the oozing is more or less just from one disgusting hole at the back of his pastern now.

Clipped the leg out as best as I could in Saturday and that's definitely helped with applying the cream. His leg is practically bald as most of the hair and (top layer of) skin has fallen off. Any part that isnt bald is a horrible scab ?

He's weight bearing and walking out much better. He's "only" getting 5-6 walks a day as the weather has been so bad. The snow is almost welcome after the freezing wind and rain. Again poor dad has done the majority of the weekdays walks because I'm stuck at my laptop. He tells me that Vinnie prefers him anyway ?

He had 3 nights of syringed (orally) steroids on top of bute and doxycycline and is now on 100 steroid tablets a day for 10 days. Thankfully he ate them in his dinner; he can be really fussy and I had no idea how to get them into him otherwise as it's a once a day dose. But he munched up his dinner so happy days.

My vet is off until Thursday so to check back in then. Obviously if anything occurs meantime to call the other partner for advice but touch wood it doesn't come to that.

TPO

Visit site
This was Saturday after my attempts to clip the leg. Most of the black fetlock hair has totally fallen out now.

This was after two applications of cream. Prior to that every scab you can see was oozing constantly so it was
a horrible mess.

The swelling is way down but still cant feel any tendon definition etc. You can see the bulging at the cornet band too. That is is already reduced because for a few days it looked like he could/would step out of his hoof ?

Screenshot_20210209-095900_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-095950_Gallery.jpg

HHO only letting my upload these two so you are spared all the gory pictures!

Last edited: