August Bank Holiday Weekend Plans

JackInABox

Visit site
My lesson today was really interesting. The horse was an absolute saint - he’s obviously ridden well in between the beginners because he was sensitive and well schooled, but still put up with me being unbalanced and giving him confusing aids sometimes. All the side saddle has definitely helped my upper body and arms but my legs were horrendous! No stability in my lower leg in rising trot (not something you have to worry about side saddle!) even to the point of my ankles giving out a few times.

Is there anything I can do other than more lessons to try to rebuild the strength in my lower leg and ankles? I walk and cycle a lot but that doesn’t seem to be working the right muscles.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Had a couple of good rides, just quietly progressing the piaffe and passage work, long long way to go still and just have to park the feeling that it's messy because everything Kira learns has to be above the bit until she gets the legwork sorted and then we can make it look nice ;) Trainer asked us to take part in the next demo he does for BD which is always fun, i think partly because she is such a good illustration of how sometimes you have to let the horse dictate the way you do things :p if we insisted on her being "on the bit" she'd down tools and run backwards because it's just *too much*. let her find her balance with her neck then she's happy to have a bloody good go. "outline" is the last bit of her puzzles.

Had a bit of a breakthrough on the GP zigzag, we've been stuck with missing the left to right change sometimes until i noticed i wasn't riding the change aid like i normally would, it's mental chewing gum figuring out how to ride it as it's such a very VERY busy exercise but we've pulled it off 2 days in a row so i am hopeful that the technical bit is getting there and then we can try and make it... extra ;) Getting closer, bit by tiny bit :)

Sunny cobface

240782828_4637438539600953_7533602129476027263_n.jpg

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Maddie and I should have been at the Midway Championships at Hartpury this weekend. Instead we ended up at our local equine hospital. Last weekend she managed to knock herself in the field and came in with a puffy hot leg. Although a lot of the swelling had gone down with cold hosing, cooling gel and just hand grazing, there was still some residual swelling, so I booked her in for an ultrasound scan. Thankfully the scan showed that there doesn’t seem to be any structural damage, but she still has some fairly significant bruising. So that’s ten more days taking it easy, then back for a rescan just to double check. Hopefully back into work after that. She’s still a pretty one, even when she is a sleepy pony after her sedation. Please keep everything crossed for us that we can get back to normal soon.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend whatever you are up to!

240783741_2100605136745169_3971207304794155314_n.jpg

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Had a couple of good rides, just quietly progressing the piaffe and passage work, long long way to go still and just have to park the feeling that it's messy because everything Kira learns has to be above the bit until she gets the legwork sorted and then we can make it look nice ;) Trainer asked us to take part in the next demo he does for BD which is always fun, i think partly because she is such a good illustration of how sometimes you have to let the horse dictate the way you do things :p if we insisted on her being "on the bit" she'd down tools and run backwards because it's just *too much*. let her find her balance with her neck then she's happy to have a bloody good go. "outline" is the last bit of her puzzles.

Had a bit of a breakthrough on the GP zigzag, we've been stuck with missing the left to right change sometimes until i noticed i wasn't riding the change aid like i normally would, it's mental chewing gum figuring out how to ride it as it's such a very VERY busy exercise but we've pulled it off 2 days in a row so i am hopeful that the technical bit is getting there and then we can try and make it... extra ;) Getting closer, bit by tiny bit :)

Sunny cobface

240782828_4637438539600953_7533602129476027263_n.jpg

Ahh, this reminded me of something. Mine will come a bit high sometimes when first figuring something out and some trainers will be so focused on the neck and "neck down" that when I follow their "neck down" insistence, it all goes to pot. They can't seem to realize if we focus on the rest of the body and mastering the exercise/movement, the neck will come. The comfort and confidence in the movement will come. It's not always instantaneous.

There have been a few times when I've taught my horse something, had to polish something, or called out a weak spot we've had and just been like, well, this is going going be a bit ugly for a moment here before it gets to where it has to be. It's training.

I think some want fast results. They want it now and to look like how if should be. Which, isn't always how it is! Or they just don't have a feeling for the horse. I've been told many times that I have a really good "feeling" so when I ride with a trainer that has me work against that feeling because they have a "one size fits all" approach, or have no feeling/flexibility in their training (might be better on a horse, idk) it's incredibly frustrating. I think the only reason we've come "so far" (could be further but that's the overly critical me) in 3.5 years, with me, a non dressage rider, and horse who was the greenest of all beans, is because of this feeling and understanding I have. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I feel like that is part of it. It also amazes me at how blind/deaf/whatever some people are to the horse and the horse figuring things out.

So that's the end of my long rant ?

That being said, we're schooling today, the probably a day off tomorrow. Nothing too exciting. We've also schooled a wee bit canter zig and zag here and there. Turns out the change left to right goes better when I remember I have an inside leg ? who would've thought.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Maddie and I should have been at the Midway Championships at Hartpury this weekend. Instead we ended up at our local equine hospital. Last weekend she managed to knock herself in the field and came in with a puffy hot leg. Although a lot of the swelling had gone down with cold hosing, cooling gel and just hand grazing, there was still some residual swelling, so I booked her in for an ultrasound scan. Thankfully the scan showed that there doesn’t seem to be any structural damage, but she still has some fairly significant bruising. So that’s ten more days taking it easy, then back for a rescan just to double check. Hopefully back into work after that. She’s still a pretty one, even when she is a sleepy pony after her sedation. Please keep everything crossed for us that we can get back to normal soon. x

I hope she is feeling better soon!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ahh, this reminded me of something. Mine will come a bit high sometimes when first figuring something out and some trainers will be so focused on the neck and "neck down" that when I follow their "neck down" insistence, it all goes to pot. They can't seem to realize if we focus on the rest of the body and mastering the exercise/movement, the neck will come. The comfort and confidence in the movement will come. It's not always instantaneous.

There have been a few times when I've taught my horse something, had to polish something, or called out a weak spot we've had and just been like, well, this is going going be a bit ugly for a moment here before it gets to where it has to be. It's training.

I think some want fast results. They want it now and to look like how if should be. Which, isn't always how it is! Or they just don't have a feeling for the horse. I've been told many times that I have a really good "feeling" so when I ride with a trainer that has me work against that feeling because they have a "one size fits all" approach, or have no feeling/flexibility in their training (might be better on a horse, idk) it's incredibly frustrating. I think the only reason we've come "so far" (could be further but that's the overly critical me) in 3.5 years, with me, a non dressage rider, and horse who was the greenest of all beans, is because of this feeling and understanding I have. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I feel like that is part of it. It also amazes me at how blind/deaf/whatever some people are to the horse and the horse figuring things out.

So that's the end of my long rant ?

That being said, we're schooling today, the probably a day off tomorrow. Nothing too exciting. We've also schooled a wee bit canter zig and zag here and there. Turns out the change left to right goes better when I remember I have an inside leg ? who would've thought.
It's one of the reasons why i stick with training with the same person almost exclusively. I'm totally happy with it anyway but it's particularly helpful with this horse that he is 100% invested in training the horse the way they learn best. She was the same with canter piris, she's really able to sit in the canter but could only learn the movement by being allowed to hollow. Horses don't read the textbook after all. Kira's textbook would be kind of crazy i think. When she understands then the neck is the last thing to fall into place and then we can develop quality. if you make it all about the neck then she can't find a way to try in the first place.

No one would bat an eye if we said we'll train this with the neck really low to make it easier for the horse. but if you say you're going to allow the horse to come above the bit to make it easier it's like you've said a dirty word :p

HappyDayz

Visit site
We started yesterday by going over to Cholsey for a great hack with a pub stop for lunch.F876854F-107C-4B69-A0F4-D86060DE9E06.jpeg1BE97C5A-372A-4B44-9BBE-8490CDDC5FE9.jpeg
Day off for him today and a light stretch tomorrow. Monday is his first time going out for course hire! And then throwing both of us in at the deep end with hound exercise on Wednesday! I still can’t fault his attitude, so nice to have such a willing youngster.

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Our weekend of excitement started on Wednesday and finished today with small person and baby Welshie being waved off to their fist camp - not without some nerves all round!

Went over to watch their end of camp show this morning and bring them home, and they’ve had an absolute blast - some super lessons, jumping much more than they ever have on their own, woodland rides, XC, and all sorts of fun. He’s had a couple of tumbles, but has got back on and continued, and finally learnt not to be so scared of coming off, that unfortunately falls are part and parcel of riding, which is a HUGE stride forwards for them as a pair. I’m just as pleased with baby Welshie, who looks like she’s tried her heart and soul out for him.

They're both absolutely shattered, small person is now dozing off on the sofa and baby Blaze is happily reunited with the rest of the gang. Chilled out day tomorrow for them whilst I no doubt get on with oodles of washing and packing away, then a catch up on this month’s online dressage tests before they get recorded for next weekend.

D5949720-6BA3-4D68-9770-9E5670EAA0B4.jpeg
E4A17AFB-66B2-4E8B-AE80-0CAEDCA7947D.jpeg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's one of the reasons why i stick with training with the same person almost exclusively. I'm totally happy with it anyway but it's particularly helpful with this horse that he is 100% invested in training the horse the way they learn best. She was the same with canter piris, she's really able to sit in the canter but could only learn the movement by being allowed to hollow. Horses don't read the textbook after all. Kira's textbook would be kind of crazy i think. When she understands then the neck is the last thing to fall into place and then we can develop quality. if you make it all about the neck then she can't find a way to try in the first place.

No one would bat an eye if we said we'll train this with the neck really low to make it easier for the horse. but if you say you're going to allow the horse to come above the bit to make it easier it's like you've said a dirty word :p

100% agree!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hope Maddie recovers well, Nikicb.
Good luck everyone out competing.

I’m away at family stuff but as soon as we are back I am in at the deep end at a Somerford camp. I’m organising it for friends and it’s been booked for a year. I thought I’d be taking Toby, then Scarlett, then nobody and now Lottie!

She had the farrier and physio Tuesday, dentist Wednesday, saddle fitting Friday so we are good to go. Though she was pretty wired at the saddle fitting which was the first time I rode since she came home from quarantine so the 80 acres could be interesting. ?

I introduced her to Amber this week and spent an anxious night wondering if they were ok. Here was my answer in the morning : they look like they are having a girly gossip! What a relief. Dolly is in there too now and all 3 are fine. And she’s been an Angel to catch since day 2 so all good so far.

853F9CA4-7BB8-45B4-A3F3-4C099F210530.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Yay! Did some diy jump cross by putting a few show jumps in the hay field. It’s a pita to set them up with so many poles and wings. And as usual I do about 5 fences and then pack it in, not entirely sure why but I’ll blame it on ‘new horse’ nerves?. And I was running massively late as was supposed to be food shopping for people coming round for dinner. But…horses, you know ?

Anyhow, Bertie was a star. My friend rode finnegan as we’re doing pairs xc soon and we had him go first, go last, Finn cantering away and past him, so it was a good test for the both so us. Bertie has quite a ping on him but gives a lovely feel to a fence. I REALLY need to stop with the pony club kick cos he does not need it but thankfully he doesn’t over react. Popped a few fences, did one that was a teeny bit bigger than I’ve done so far, and called it a day. Third time jumping him and another little deposit into the confidence bank.

Finn was fab too, she jumped him bigger than I ever do. She’s a stronger and bolder rider than me and had him going nicely into the fences.

j1ffy

Visit site
Sounds like lots of good weekends are being had!

Chilli was very cute in his first competition. He thought plaiting up was very dull but eventually dozed off. I had a go at the plaits that link together and could do with some tips / practice. I added bands to each ball as otherwise they didn’t stay ball-shaped but found I was looking at a lot of bands once on top!

As usual, the forum has turned the portrait photo sideways

C4EC848A-A3ED-4D0F-86DC-4DAC55413FFF.jpeg

He was very relaxed in the warm up despite sharing it with 3-4 horses / ponies, so big tick in the box for that.

Went up to the big school and he was nervous - I’m not sure he breathed through the test but he tried sooo hard. We did very wobbly centre lines and diagonals, the tension prevented a stretchy trot so he broke to canter, but he was with me throughout and really made me smile. Lovely judge too who gave us 72.6%, not that it means anything as it was all about the experience (and we were HC anyway!).

Back in the stable afterwards, not even a bead of sweat on him so he can’t have been too stressed!

35950DDC-8C9D-45B7-9574-81674569AF36.jpeg

scats

Visit site
Just back from a lesson. Worked on the canter but Millie wasn’t really feeling it today and kept popping her left shoulder out on the right rein and curling behind the contact. Frustrating as I thought we had conquered that particular issue but I know that when she gets tired and is finding things difficult she tends to do this. Chatted to my trainer and I am going to give her 2 weeks completely out of the school and just focus on straightness and do lots of hacking. Think we both need a break from it at the moment.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Not our strongest weekend!

Bury HP - retired in first test after a smashing start. 2 miscommunications in both canter HP’s, I knew it wouldn’t be a regionals worthy score! Second medium was in the spooky indoor, he coped really well even though it wasn’t an amazing test, low score of just under 64% which is bit annoying.

82356AB3-DFB9-44E6-9C49-D670D244BD86.jpeg

But he warmed up great and I know he can do it. Got everything from 0’s to 9’s! Whoops!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I hope she is feeling better soon!

Hope Maddie recovers well, Nikicb.

Thank you both! I love that picture of Amber and Lottie plotting AE. Well done j1ffy for your first test with Chilli - he looks fab and I can't wait to meet him soon. Some great reports from lots of others as well!

Generally it's been a rubbish week. Eldest son had Covid symptoms on Monday, and despite two negative LF tests on Monday (he tests himself at least 3 x per week for work), he went for a PCR test and was positive. Thankfully the rest of the family hadn't seen him since last Thursday as we were away, but younger son was meant to fly to Spain on Wednesday, but couldn't due to eldest son - such a pain as had negative PCR test on Monday, but I do understand and have no problem with compliance. Younger son is now living in the garden office (separate building) so he can fly out next week, and eldest son shut in his room (thankfully with ensuite). We are so lucky to have plenty of space, although the novelty of constantly feeding both as neither can cook for themselves currently, is beginning to wear off. On top of that, my car needed some suspension 'stuff' (technical term there!!) done before it could pass its MOT. Maddie has thankfully been a model patient so far. She eats up all her meds and it really made me well up when she happily rolled in the field despite still being 'attached' to me via a lunge line. When I first got her, she was very wary/timid about being caught. With her it's nothing 'naughty', she just needs to know who you are and feel comfortable with you. So it's a big thing for her to feel this relaxed.

Last edited:

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Henry’s advert video has been made, written advert finalised. Hopefully they’ll go up tomorrow (if YouTube ever lets me upload the video ) He’s absolutely loving the low pressure life, and is even more chilled and donkey-like than usual. Slightly worried viewers might think he’s sedated ?

Pepsi had a successful play over our home “XC course”. Really it’s just a big field with some slightly rickety rustic fences and an overgrown ditch. But still, only had one silly sideways moment when it all got a bit exciting and we disagreed about whether we’d be trotting (my idea) or galloping (his idea) into the fence. The ditch was a bit scary to start with. He’s done them before but this one is quite wide, slightly sloping, and full of random plants/debris. Soon got the idea though. He’s not always the easiest, he’s so sensitive and complicated, but I just love working with him!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Survived our IN run at Llanymynech. Dressage wasn't beautiful for a 36.something... SJ was vastly improved from Somerford last weekend but just had two fairly unlucky rubs. Happy enough with that though, first time at the level for both of us. Then flew round the XC... I *think* unintentionally the fastest of the day at 11 seconds under optimum. XC was causing carnage, particularly at the first water and only 54% of novice starters went clear. We actually came home with a 2nd place frilly, but only by virtue of being in a class of 4 and two of those getting the big E xc. Still, frillies are hard won in this game, and makes up for our endless 11th places over the years ?

Vid here - warts and all

Roxylola

Visit site
Frilly is a frilly RF, well done. Congratulations to all who have had successful weekends, sympathy to those who have not and get well vibes to sicknotes.
Charlie was in full supercob mode today, popped nicely round the 80 clear round with his owner, and round the 90 for me at kelsall. His owner was in full matchy comp gear, I on the other hand had a miscommunication about my boots and went round not only in a (tidy) navy pair of breeches, short boots and long red socks ?
We both had one stop and a couple of poles, mine was mostly surprise that not only was the course different it was also bigger ? he stopped with his owner at what was probably the most full up 80 fence there - solid, wide and with a slight down hill incline so no visible landing for him. She was concerned about it walking and he just backed off a bit. Jumped on representing though. He also considered stopping at the 90 version but I was a bit sharper on it and he committed himself instead.
Actually very pleased with him, the SJ was full up (possibly a smidge over), the ground was undulating and last time there he was sticky all over the place so a couple of poles and a stop is much improved

racebuddy

Visit site
Maddie and I should have been at the Midway Championships at Hartpury this weekend. Instead we ended up at our local equine hospital. Last weekend she managed to knock herself in the field and came in with a puffy hot leg. Although a lot of the swelling had gone down with cold hosing, cooling gel and just hand grazing, there was still some residual swelling, so I booked her in for an ultrasound scan. Thankfully the scan showed that there doesn’t seem to be any structural damage, but she still has some fairly significant bruising. So that’s ten more days taking it easy, then back for a rescan just to double check. Hopefully back into work after that. She’s still a pretty one, even when she is a sleepy pony after her sedation. Please keep everything crossed for us that we can get back to normal soon.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend whatever you are up to!

Bless her xx hope shes ok xxxx

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I won my first ever BE event today. 25 DC in the 100. Absolutely thrilled as it’s been a tricky few months. I actually got a speeding point so only just won by 0.1! Last week I had 9 time and I made an effort this week to speed up just by kicking on landing and not making it all so beautiful in setting up. I am really pleased with the sjing as not our finest round but for her it was a terrifying arena with horses running xc behind the hedge so she felt tighter than normal but still tried really hard. Feels pretty great to have backed the horse and now finally see the fruits of that labour.

Attachments

• BA6108C3-5B3C-4005-BB37-A585613027A4.jpeg
    BA6108C3-5B3C-4005-BB37-A585613027A4.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 23

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
That’s brilliant LEC. Well done.
Roxylola sounds like Supercob was awesome! Are you allowed to school round the BE track at Kelsall? Or was it unaff? We are planning to go there BE soon, so a recce would be good.

Roxylola

Visit site
That’s brilliant LEC. Well done.
Roxylola sounds like Supercob was awesome! Are you allowed to school round the BE track at Kelsall? Or was it unaff? We are planning to go there BE soon, so a recce would be good.
Its not the BE track, its a little course down by the pools near the arenas. They run an arena eventing series in there over summer and in the outdoors over winter. There were 18 jumps total.
Saturdays are competitive and the Sunday is clear round. I think this was the last round until the BE now but you may be able to hire the course still. At least some of the fences are used in the BE though.
You can school round the BE track but only after the event, the BE track isn't out yet

Michen

Visit site
I got back from France yesterday. Bog seems sound but waiting until he gets checked by vet tomorrow before properly riding (overtrimmed feet when shod).

I am off to pick to Bear shortly and need to show him under saddle briefly to vet tomorrow (it’s the only place the lameness shows) to know if he’s truly “ok”, with a scan of course.

So how do people get back on horses who’ve had 3 months off, especially 5 year olds lol. I’m thinking I’ll just tack up and be led a lap around the school!? He obviously can’t ge lunged etc due to injury.