Badly Named Horses Thread

Mosh

Visit site
So my horse is Welsh, chestnut and a mare.

Whoever named her was feeling very brave. Her name is Angel... and Luckily for the world she is an absolute Angel because if she wasn't I think she would have taken over everything

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
My neighbour bought a very nice pony and re named it Anthea. .
An old guy in the village has a very plain old driving pony called Bott . When Bott retired he was replaced by one called Orse .
A horse at an eventing yard I worked at was called Rip - or so I thought . The first time I rode him out someone informed me that it was actually R.I.P .
We also had a Megabucks - and he wasn't called that because he was worth a lot !

EventingMum

Visit site
I think Harvey Smiths were the winners on this really - Sanyo Video, I think there was a Sanyo Music centre too.

That was in the 80's when he was sponsored by Sanyo. I can't remember which Sanyo horse it was had the stable name Norman but Harvey used to let it loose to graze around the stables at shows and when he yelled "Lie down Norman" he lay down!

I bought a Highland cross pony for the riding school called Broom which the staff immediately vetoed and he became Hamish!

Visit site
We have had plenty through the yard over the years.

Killer - stable and racing name - springs to mind. He was the sweetest, nicest horse you could ever wish to meet!

Lobster, his racing name was Named At Dinner. He had been called Waiter in his previous yard.

Skipper was The Starboard Bow.

One came to us called Ugs - as an short for Ugly. So I renamed him Lugs as he had huge ears.

Toasty - he was out of Granary House.

I have a mare called SOS. Short for Song Of The Stars. Sots sounded too weird so I dropped the T ?

ihatework

Visit site
An event friend of mine had a long term owner who wanted to buy her a new horse. Weeks later following 2 trips to Ireland and 2 failed vettings a horse was found. The horse vetted clean. The owner transferred the £ to the rider to pay the seller and agent.

The owner up to this point only knew the horses stable name (owner not particularly horsey). Asked registered name. Had an absolute fit that they didn’t like it (and couldn’t change it). The purchase was minutes from falling through based on the name!

Spotherisk

Visit site
That was in the 80's when he was sponsored by Sanyo. I can't remember which Sanyo horse it was had the stable name Norman but Harvey used to let it loose to graze around the stables at shows and when he yelled "Lie down Norman" he lay down!

I bought a Highland cross pony for the riding school called Broom which the staff immediately vetoed and he became Hamish!

I knew a Broom!

Cowpony

Visit site
I once almost bought one called Petra.....short for Petrified! She was the nicest horse and not at all spooky.
There's one at the yard whose passport name is Brick. She's a very pretty TB.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My first horse bought as an adult was called Teabag. His posh name was Stately Prospect. His half brother was called Kettle…

My current younger horse has the ugly registered name Euribor
  1. the basic rate of interest used in lending between banks on the European Union interbank market and also used as a reference for setting the interest rate on other loans.
shortened previously to Euri. I call him Edward, it started off as Eddie or Ed but he’s more of an Edward or sometimes Teddy Edward.

My friend bought a Highland called Wally which she changed as hated it.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I knew someone who had a quiet stallion inappropriately called Saddam. For some reason they decided to turn him out one day in a field next to my old Welsh gelding and one mare. The poor stallion looked utterly perplexed as 560Kg of furious (and usually non-riggy) pony tried to launch itself through the fence, defending 'his' mare. Fortunately I managed to hoick my pony out the field before any damage was done and Saddam was left to graze in peace.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Same here! I've known plenty of Dustys, Spiders, Heidis etc.

What always tickles me are horses with very plain human names. Like Keith, Steve, Craig etc.

Some human names seem normal for horses, I've known lots of Bob's, Williams/Billys, Joeys, Megs and Lizzies, I had a Frankie, short for Saint Francois.

However I wasn't sure about Steve, James, Barry and Sandra.