Badminton XC!

scats

Visit site
Very glad to see the statement appear on his official FB. Yes, I imagine some of it is PR damage limitation (though I suspect a lot of the damage has been done), but he has addressed the issue rather than ignore it, so respect to him for that.

I hope he can move past this now, and perhaps, even when the stakes are high, approach his riding with a little less aggression. As people have said, it’s not the first time he has been warned about whip usage, but he’s also not the first person and he certainly wont be the last.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
He had to make a statement like that, it wasn't going to be brushed under the carpet. I'm glad he has, but I'm cynical too. That statement will only wash if he goes forward and learns from this. He is a fabulous rider, but if he's had a few warnings for misuse of the whip lately he needs to rethink what he's doing. Time will tell. People will be watching him like a hawk now and he depends a lot on his fans - for merchandise and his fan club. I hope he does.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Fair play to him that hes apologised. Maybe having watched it back hes realised how bad it was.
The interview he gave with Claire Balding yesterday was awful.
Im guessing he was pushed in to making that statement though.

fetlock

Visit site
He had to make a statement like that, it wasn't going to be brushed under the carpet. I'm glad he has, but I'm cynical too. That statement will only wash if he goes forward and learns from this. He is a fabulous rider, but if he's had a few warnings for misuse of the whip lately he needs to rethink what he's doing. Time will tell. People will be watching him like a hawk now and he depends a lot on his fans - for merchandise and his fan club. I hope he does.

I agree. He'll have realised that he had no choice but to address it with a statement along those lines, if not just to appease both the owners and sponsors, the latter having also taken a bit of flack on social media and the former also in a difficult position if asked for comment.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Even if it isn't said wholeheartedly and he still thinks it was justified, I do hope that on watching the footage back he does realise how bad it looks and that is important assuming he is among the many that want to ensure horses stay in the olympics.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
I'm quite sure if OT turns into Mother Theresa and starts handing out food to the homeless there'll still be people gunning for him.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'm quite sure if OT turns into Mother Theresa and starts handing out food to the homeless there'll still be people gunning for him.

Sorry but thats not really fair. How he rode on Saturday was clearly wrong. He pushed those horses when they were already giving their all.
As hes said his competitive nature got the better of him.
He is arrogant As How he behaved after the show jumping and the interview afterwards showed.
Would you prefer nothing was said about it and riders like him are allowed to thrash horses round in the hope of winning?

only_me

Visit site
Sorry but thats not really fair. How he rode on Saturday was clearly wrong. He pushed those horses when they were already giving their all.
As hes said his competitive nature got the better of him.
He is arrogant As How he behaved after the show jumping and the interview afterwards showed.
Would you prefer nothing was said about it and riders like him are allowed to thrash horses round in the hope of winning?

Seriously? He’s apologised for his actions and has agreed that it didn’t look good and will improve. Stop thrashing a rider for making a mistake & has apologised.
So move on.

What do you want him to do, hand over all his horses to the rspca? Throw himself in the lake for mercy? Do some kind of horse community service?! Be publiclally stoned?

His horses looked fantastic. He talks to the point and is honest with someone. Not everyone likes that I get it. I prefer that to someone swimming in bull tbh. If I was ever in a position to be the owner of a top exceptionally talented event horse he is someone who I would seriously consider as a rider for it. The horses looked superb, went well xc and came out on Sunday looking fresh.

lannerch

Visit site
Totally agree, oil pushed the whip
Rule to the limit, the warning totally justified but the hatred completely over the top!
If his horses were treated as bad as some make out, and he rode them like this all the time they would never go as well for him as they do, and he would not get the results he does.

Yes he’s arrogant but that still does not worsen the crime.
On the day the right result happened, let’s lay it to rest and move on.

ester

Visit site
I honestly never understand the 'move on' comments, obviously if people wish to they don't have to read comments, but I don't see the issue with people discussing these sorts of things and their impacts and it did only happen two days ago, we aren't raking over 6 month ground?

wkiwi

Visit site
On the day the right result happened.

Yes i think it has all detracted from the fact that a mare won for only the 5th time !!! Am sick of people running down mares when there are so many super talented mares out there.
Also that a female rider has won for the first time in ages.
Also that a New Zealander won (as I was born in NZ)
Also that it was on a British-bred mare - which has to be fantastic for the British breeding industry.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
It's fabulous that 3 of the top 4 are women.

Gemma Tatersall does camps at Somerford and I went to one in September after checking that a 70/80cm jumper would be allowed in!! In the event I was the only person at camp at that lowly level so I was put into a 90 minute private lesson with her. She was just lovely. So encouraging and helpful. Was delighted to see her do so well.

lannerch

Visit site
Totally agree, oil pushed the whip
Rule to the limit, the warning totally justified but the hatred completely over the top!
If his horses were treated as bad as some make out, and he rode them like this all the time they would never go as well for him as they do, and he would not get the results he does.

Yes he’s arrogant but that still does not worsen the crime.
On the day the right result happened, let’s lay it to rest and move on.
And when I wrote that I had not read his apology, good on him I say, and it sounds very genuine to me, which is why his horses go so well for him.

We all make mistakes it’s how we learn from them that matter and it sounds to be Oli certainly has.

wkiwi

Visit site
It's fabulous that 3 of the top 4 are women.

Gemma Tatersall does camps at Somerford and I went to one in September after checking that a 70/80cm jumper would be allowed in!! In the event I was the only person at camp at that lowly level so I was put into a 90 minute private lesson with her. She was just lovely. So encouraging and helpful. Was delighted to see her do so well.

Jealous - what an opportunity
She comes across very well in interviews; very natural.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
AS never looks easy either.

No he looks very strong at times!!

At the end of the XC day Gemma was chatting to the camp photographer and apparently said "I really like that chestnut mare who had a lesson on her own". I was pretty ecstatic about that! Amber has a famous fan!!

ester

Visit site
And when I wrote that I had not read his apology, good on him I say, and it sounds very genuine to me, which is why his horses go so well for him.

We all make mistakes it’s how we learn from them that matter and it sounds to be Oli certainly has.

You've read that he got fined only two weeks ago for over use of the whip at Kelsall too? So yes it is how we learn from them that matter and people understandably get more frustrated when that learning doesn't seem to happen- similar to the Marilyn Little situation ATM too.

ester

Visit site
No he looks very strong at times!!

At the end of the XC day Gemma was chatting to the camp photographer and apparently said "I really like that chestnut mare who had a lesson on her own". I was pretty ecstatic about that! Amber has a famous fan!!

you should have asked him for a quick print to be signed!

Bustermartin

Visit site
You've read that he got fined only two weeks ago for over use of the whip at Kelsall too?

Was that over use of the whip? I thought maybe it was an administrative error as there was no horse mentioned.....? If it was, then we really do need to question if he will learn

ester

Visit site
It was reported as such by two people I trust to know these things but they quote 4.7 (which is substitution not whip use).

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Oli is a competitor thru and thru. I think he got carried away by the thought of winning all that money! Thats no excuse and he should have ridden much more sensitively and without the over use of the whip and all that flapping about. Surely part of the problem is that if there are rules in place, and those rules are broken, nothing much happens. A verbal warning was given, it will be on his record but had he won, he would have gotten away with breaking the rules. Automatic disqualification would surely help competitors to stick to the rules, no sponsor or owner is going to want to lose so if a rider breaks the rules and their horse is disqualified Im sure we would see a remarkable turn around in behaviour. I cant see the point in there being rules if breaking them carries no penalty. I rather like Oli, from what I know of him he is very hard working and puts in long hours. He could probably do with thinking a bit more about how he comes across to the general public who love the sport but maybe dont know so much about horses, whilst I completely get what he says I can see why a lot dont and he seems to come across as uncaring to many. I dont think that is the case but horses are undoubtedly the tool of his trade and he doesnt seem to do sentiment, whilst that is not a crime it offends many. Im not for one minute suggesting that excuses his riding on Saturday, as soon as Class pulled up I said to my OH "Id be amazed if that horse passes the vet in the morning, it looks cream crackered, he's absolutely ridden it into the ground". I was wrong though! A definite look at the rule book and its enforcement are required.

popsdosh

Visit site
It was reported as such by two people I trust to know these things but they quote 4.7 (which is substitution not whip use).

Good job he wasnt hung then?

If only there had been this sort of outcry and character assassination when the saint MK was banned for two months for two incidents of dangerous riding. LOL why do we hate people who are driven to win ? He played a game of poker with the rules im sure the horse has suffered no damage or the punishment would have been worse.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I haven’t watched all the rounds yet on catch-up but was there on the day day. The fact is Oli got two horses around that course well and safely. It sounds as if he was over zealous with the whip but maybe that saved his horse from having a crashing fall? Alternatively he could have just pulled up.

I was at the Bullfinch when Clare Abbott fell. It was a nasty fall especially for her Horse who if hasn’t got some injury from that I’d be surprised. Perhaps her horse was too tired and she should have pulled up earlier? Maybe a smack on the bum may have got her tired horse to pick up a bit more?

Another faller at the Joules corner - you could see it going wrong way before, poor Horse was never going to clear the third part, the rider shouldn’t have tried but I guess his competitive streak took over and he had a go. That’s what “competitors” do, they push the limits and that’s why rules are needed but not to squash all the competition away as then you may as well not run the competition in the first place.

only_me

Visit site
I was at the Bullfinch when Clare Abbott fell. It was a nasty fall especially for her Horse who if hasn’t got some injury from that I’d be surprised. Perhaps her horse was too tired and she should have pulled up earlier? Maybe a smack on the bum may have got her tired horse to pick up a bit more?

europrince was one horse who definitely didn’t need a whip! I shudder to think how much more enthusiastic he would have been if she used the whip lol. He was 100% not tired and had literally been bouncing around the course till that point making it look like a novice. Both are fine though :) best round to watch though, looked like so much fun!

https://www.facebook.com/Blackheart...7739.515813381768619/2127199163963358/?type=3

At the quarry!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
europrince was one horse who definitely didn’t need a whip! I shudder to think how much more enthusiastic he would have been if she used the whip lol. He was 100% not tired and had literally been bouncing around the course till that point making it look like a novice. Both are fine though :) best round to watch though, looked like so much fun!

https://www.facebook.com/Blackheart...7739.515813381768619/2127199163963358/?type=3

At the quarry!!

Glad they’re fine. His neck on impact looked nasty and he looked shocked afterwards. I was walking the course backwards. Shame then, I wonder what happened to make them fall so spectacularly over a relatively simple fence? He seemed to catch a leg but not sure.

Just before he fell.

nKaPPbW.jpg

Sandstone1

Visit site
Seriously? He’s apologised for his actions and has agreed that it didn’t look good and will improve. Stop thrashing a rider for making a mistake & has apologised.
So move on.

What do you want him to do, hand over all his horses to the rspca? Throw himself in the lake for mercy? Do some kind of horse community service?! Be publiclally stoned?

His horses looked fantastic. He talks to the point and is honest with someone. Not everyone likes that I get it. I prefer that to someone swimming in bull tbh. If I was ever in a position to be the owner of a top exceptionally talented event horse he is someone who I would seriously consider as a rider for it. The horses looked superb, went well xc and came out on Sunday looking fresh.

Read what I said again and my previous post. I admire that hes given a apology.
but lets hope he genuinely means it and learns from it.
Maybe the rules should be tightened up and stuck to.
A lifetime ban for someone who gets three warnings may make him a bit more careful.