Black Caviar

mle22

Visit site
Well I felt priveledged to have watched such an awesome horse and who could blame her connections for being proud of her. Just glad the jockey didn't lose it for her with his over confidence

Fools Motto

Visit site
Even if she was to race again, she would never race against Frankel. She is the 100m sprinter type, he is the 400m middle distance type... different races, so never should meet.

I hope she retires happy and enjoys her paddock/mummy time for the years to come.

stormox

Visit site
Its better to have tried and lost than not to try. And she didn't lose anyway. Fair play to her connections who brought her over, surely most people at Ascot would agree it was a privilege just to see her.

sizz

Visit site
Didn't see her move apart from in walk before the race, but lame right hind which could be the reason she looked lame infront as well on her right fore. I agree about the jockey not riding a finish, very dissapointing, but lovely looking mare.

npage123

Visit site
Why are so many of you describing the owners/connections as arrogant, pompous etc.? Do you know them well enough to say that? To me personally, the trainer simply came across as focused on the job at hand (rather than playing to the media).

Regarding the jockey - yes, with hindsight comes clarity, but it seems as if he's the first one who would admit he could have done it better.

MrsElle

Visit site
Out of the mouth of babes... (well 55 year old doesn't know one end of a horse from another OH!) 'What's wrong with it, it moves funny' :)

I must admit I had to agree.

We have had some Aussie friends staying with us and they have been raving about Black Caviar so we tuned in to see what all the fuss was about. Lovely horse, but I was expecting more from her after all the hype.

Nollaig Shona

Visit site
I hope he gets the boot to be honest! That was a truly shocking ride! Too cocky, not really strong enough - all credit to the mare - she got him out of deep, deep doo doo!

Agreed! All credit to the mare, the jockey didn't look like he was trying at all!

Maybe the jockey didn't push her as she didn't feel 100%?

Weren't they saying, prior to the race, that she was in the best shape she'd ever been in before?

If she's not right, and had a rough trip over here, and all the other "excuses", then fair play to her for getting up on the line to win. Personally I thought she looked very ordinary in running, and at the 3f pole I thought she was going to be well beaten!

angrovestud

Visit site
I think its terribly sad to see so much ridicule of a horse that has made history, As an racehorse owner you can not possibly know all the people who have dug deep perhaps, to deliver a spectical for a global audience they have come to GB to see if she could win she has done that what is wrong with some of you! can we not celebrate success in this country instead of sitting in our armchairs and knocking it !

Zebedee

Visit site
Why are so many of you describing the owners/connections as arrogant, pompous etc.? Do you know them well enough to say that? To me personally, the trainer simply came across as focused on the job at hand (rather than playing to the media).

Regarding the jockey - yes, with hindsight comes clarity, but it seems as if he's the first one who would admit he could have done it better.

You beat me to it. She's owned by a syndicate of friends who have all travelled over here to see her race. I too think it was a brave move on their part, & she proved her class 1000 times over the way she rallied again at the last minute when LN realised that he wasn't on his own at the front.

Honeylight

Visit site
She has the weirdest trot I have ever seen. Looked almost lame trotting back there! :confused:

She is very coarse & a bad mover. A shame she couldn't have won impressively.
It will be interesting to see what she produces at stud; big, masculine mares do not always produce good runners. Park Top a case in point.

skint1

Visit site
I don't think anyone is knocking her win at all, I certainly wasn't, nor was I knocking the rider. I feel sorry for him, he looked gutted for someone who'd just won a major race and will be blamed I am sure that it was not a more spectacular win, just discussing the particulars, as horse people are wont to do.

skint1

Visit site
She is, I love a nice TB mare, but she does move oddly at the walk/trot. My favourite of recent "super" horses has been Zenyatta, to me she is everything a Tb mare should be in my most humble opinion.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Amazing the reactions on here. Wow, just wow. Now everyone's a racing expert. One of the few boards I've been to that is so anti racing and now I see why.

While I never compare horses, why don't the connections of Frankel take him to OZ and race at her distance on a rock hard track. I know how good Frankel is, he's beyond good. I've galloped BC and classic winners. But only one brought their game 10k miles to very different conditions than used to. Just remember that.

I mean if this forum is any indication of how the BC camp has been treated no wonder they want the hell out. Shame really.

Terri

bonny

Visit site
Amazing the reactions on here. Wow, just wow. Now everyone's a racing expert. One of the few boards I've been to that is so anti racing and now I see why.

While I never compare horses, why don't the connections of Frankel take him to OZ and race at her distance on a rock hard track. I know how good Frankel is, he's beyond good. I've galloped BC and classic winners. But only one brought their game 10k miles to very different conditions than used to. Just remember that.

I mean if this forum is any indication of how the BC camp has been treated no wonder they want the hell out. Shame really.

Terri

Are you saying you've ridden Black Caviar ????

PinkCob

Visit site
Imo, Black Caviar is one of the best racehorses i've ever seen. I'm absolutely fascinated by her. Champion.
'The wonder from down under'

jaysh

Visit site
Just reading some of the replies on here, I just shake my head in wonder at some of you.
Quite agree Equilibrium Ireland with your post.
The mare won her 22nd consecutive race, it doesn't matter that it wasn't "impressive" as some of you said. She WON. It matters not that it was by a bare inch or even half a friggin mile. She remains unbeaten. No wonder this forum drives me mad, a few decent people & a bunch of sanctimonious a&seholes.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
_61080723_black_caviar2_getty.jpg

How can you say she is not stunning:confused:
I think it's quite sad that people are trying to dampen her victory, she won her race, might not have been the spectacular finish that some were expecting but after 30+ hours on a plane i think she did just fine:)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Just reading some of the replies on here, I just shake my head in wonder at some of you.
Quite agree Equilibrium Ireland with your post.
The mare won her 22nd consecutive race, it doesn't matter that it wasn't "impressive" as some of you said. She WON. It matters not that it was by a bare inch or even half a friggin mile. She remains unbeaten. No wonder this forum drives me mad, a few decent people & a bunch of sanctimonious a&seholes.

Yes, she won . . . but given all the hype (and there was rather a lot of it), I sort of expected her to blow the others away - and she didn't. . . I did state that her (in my eyes) rather lacklustre performance was possibly down to rider error, but even the jock said that he felt her power go towards the end of the race. I don't believe anyone said that she didn't deserve to win . . . or that it wasn't a huge achievement to win 22 consecutive races . . . quite a few of us are just a little bewildered by a) her unique action in trot; and b) her demeanor both in the paddock and during the race . . . she never really "sparkled."

If voicing my reasonable, polite, rational opinion on something I have just watched makes me a sanctimonious bottomhole then I give up really . . .

P

Hackie

Visit site
Go Nelly! She's done Australia (and her connections) proud. From what I can tell half the country stayed up to watch her win, but regardless her record was impressive prior to this.

Maybe it was a tight win, but it was a win nonetheless!

ETA, not to rub it into Luke as she still won, but there was a bit or rider error behind the narrow margin, you can't really use that to detract against a very good mare...

Last edited:

typekitty

whateverhappenedtobrooklyn.blogspot.com
_61080723_black_caviar2_getty.jpg

How can you say she is not stunning:confused:
I think it's quite sad that people are trying to dampen her victory, she won her race, might not have been the spectacular finish that some were expecting but after 30+ hours on a plane i think she did just fine:)

The trainer said that she wasn't Frankel, that he only needed half an inch. A very wise move, and she delivered. She's a good looking horse. Hype or not, yes, she did win, and there was never any more expected. It was only every about getting over the line first, with or without sparkle.

ETA: By 'he', I mean Moody. Obviously, BC is a mare. Also, the comment about Frankel was made well before the race.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
Yes, she won . . . but given all the hype (and there was rather a lot of it), I sort of expected her to blow the others away - and she didn't. . . I did state that her (in my eyes) rather lacklustre performance was possibly down to rider error, but even the jock said that he felt her power go towards the end of the race. I don't believe anyone said that she didn't deserve to win . . . or that it wasn't a huge achievement to win 22 consecutive races . . . quite a few of us are just a little bewildered by a) her unique action in trot; and b) her demeanor both in the paddock and during the race . . . she never really "sparkled."

If voicing my reasonable, polite, rational opinion on something I have just watched makes me a sanctimonious bottomhole then I give up really . . .

P

Apparently she's quite lacklustre and sleepy in the pre-race paddocks anyway. That said I still agree with you :) Plus it was a LOT of hype followed up by owners refusing to give interviews to people before knowing their FULL credentials (did anyone else hear Clare Balding talking about that?), you're at Royal Ascot of all places! Plus comments of 'we're not going to let the Poms beat us/put us down/she's going to show them' and yet they were lucky to win :)

Think there'd be more 'wahey she won, awesome horse etc etc' if they'd come over on the quiet, no hype, no pressure and not made such a huge deal. Look at how Henry Cecil deals with Frankel in comparison...

Just hope she's not done herself any damage, and either continues her good run or is retired before it all goes wrong.

Spiritedly

Visit site

P

I agree, I started this thread as all the comments I've seen about her at Ascot this week have likened her to Frankel and maybe a lot of us were expecting, rightly or wrongly, a Frankel type finish. She is an amazing mare to win the way she has and she deserved her win today. Maybe I've read the posts on here differently to some because I haven't seen anyone saying she didn't deserve to win and that she's not a great horse, but I have seen a few people expressing concern as she looked lame.

TrasaM

Visit site
What a magnificent horse. Like lots of the other posts on here I felt slightly disappointed with the finish but a win is a win is a win and to me 22 races and 22 victories looks like very good statistics. Also the ground was not what she is used to. Anyone who doubts thar this matters should try running across a muddy field or through soft sand and see what a difference it makes. I think it's lovely how famous she's become across all classes in Oz.
Whatever happens next she'll been assured a place amongst the greats of horse racing. Thank you Nelly and long may you run.