Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Well that clearly says what he thinks about all our opinions!!

Yep, he was such a monkey last night in front of everyone. When I'm so upset because some people think I'm wrong to strongly consider PTS, he then puts on a show that makes it look completely ridiculous to think of putting him down.

But he's stoic, and he's Bog, so I'm not fooled. I want a vets true opinion on his genuine level of comfort. Vet should be here shortly, running a bit early!

Michen

Visit site
Working him up now. Funny my vet thought exactly the same on hard circle trot, if you didn’t know the history you’d immediately think bilateral feet. Blocking them out.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
You’ve been in my thoughts all day, and I’m keeping everything firmly crossed that Bog still has many years of turning you grey ahead of him, but please don’t feel like you owe us immediate updates. You have the full strength of HHO vibes behind you both, willing you on, but do make sure whatever the outcome of today’s visit, that you take the time you need for you and Bog 💗

Michen

Visit site
So blocking his feet made him better, not perfect but improved. It did however, make him pretty ataxic. Possible that the pain is causing him to be less ataxic. We definitely think the neck is contributing too and it’s an overall picture.

I could X ray feet, re X ray neck, steroid the joints but I opted not too. I decided to go with systemic steroids (vet said nearly, but not quite as effective as joint steroids), to treat the entire body, and see if that gives him a little more time to enjoy some sun. If it gives him laminitis (higher risk than joint injecfions), then so be it and he’s PTS.

I do not see the point in spending thousands injecting joints at this stage, or any other stage for him really.

Ultimately, the end is near, and whilst maybe I should be putting him down now (and I will if the steroids don’t improve things), this is a last ditch attempt to get him more comfortable everywhere.

The vet didn’t think the lameness was as bad as I did, a 2/10 although it’s impossible to really tell because we are sure the neck is impacting as well as the feet so it’s like I described- a shortness and a stiffness. Also makes it hard to know how much pain he’s in.

My hope is this gets him more comfortable to enjoy some good weather and he can get PTS quietly before the next winter comes (if, the steroids help and don’t harm).

Michen

Visit site
It’s delaying the inevitable pain I will have because he’s not going to have years of retirement like I secretly hoped. But, I really would love to give him some good weather. He’s got through a winter in the mountains and by all accounts he’s still (now I’ve fixed the gut, albeit ongoing) super perky and cheerful.

I don’t think I could honestly have PTS at this point in time, it would have genuinely felt like I was cutting his life short. But I absolutely don’t want to put him through another winter or anything like that, so it gives me a clear plan. Assuming, steroids don’t hasten that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can see why pain in the feet would cause better proprioception, but what a puzzle he gave you to unwrap. Bog never does anything by halves! I'm glad you've got a definite answer and a solid plan, M, it should make things easier to manage work wise and mentally, and allow you time to come to terms with things, I hope. Take care of yourself now.

Michen

Visit site
Me too. That’s the trouble we need to improve the overall pain, hopefully reducing neck inflammation, because he was ataxic enough that I’d be putting him down based on that alone. So if we “just” fix the feet it could be even worse. Hence deciding to do systemic steroids as honestly I’m not about to spend several thousand injecting different places just to give him a few months.

It makes sense now why I’ve seen the front limb ataxia improve- because his feet have been hurting and it’s given him more feeling.

palo1

Visit site
Me too. That’s the trouble we need to improve the overall pain, hopefully reducing neck inflammation, because he was ataxic enough that I’d be putting him down based on that alone. So if we “just” fix the feet it could be even worse. Hence deciding to do systemic steroids as honestly I’m not about to spend several thousand injecting different places just to give him a few months.

It makes sense now why I’ve seen the front limb ataxia improve- because his feet have been hurting and it’s given him more feeling.
I am just so sorry you are having these hard times and hard decisions for Boggle. It's good you have worked through today and know more of what you are dealing with but it still seems so bloody unfair...But Bog won't care as long as he is happy and enjoying life. I hope you too can try to enjoy every minute of him, probably driving you to distraction! I hope as well, you have a bit of space to try to wrap your head round all this, in your own way. Bloody horses! Hugs x

Michen

Visit site
I feel really numb, it's weird. I'm not crying. I'm not distraught. I'm kinda just like... numb and a little queasy and accepting.

In some bizarre way, I almost feel relief that this isn't "just" the neck. Even though I don't think coffin joint arthritis alone would have halted his retirement had the neck never been an issue.

Marigold4

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles with Boggle. He's a lovely horse. It's just a thought, but could the hard ground where you are be making the pain in his feet worse? Forgive me if I am wrong but the ground looks hard/rocky. Would padded hoofboots give him some comfort? In England, I guess he was used to softer ground.

Michen

Visit site
I am just so sorry you are having these hard times and hard decisions for Boggle. It's good you have worked through today and know more of what you are dealing with but it still seems so bloody unfair...But Bog won't care as long as he is happy and enjoying life. I hope you too can try to enjoy every minute of him, probably driving you to distraction! I hope as well, you have a bit of space to try to wrap your head round all this, in your own way. Bloody horses! Hugs x

Alright, maybe a little teary haha. Thank you xx

Michen

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles with Boggle. He's a lovely horse. It's just a thought, but could the hard ground where you are be making the pain in his feet worse? Forgive me if I am wrong but the ground looks hard/rocky. Would padded hoofboots give him some comfort? In England, I guess he was used to softer ground.

No the ground is super soft to be honest (for the last month where he's been, it's kind of pine needly) at the moment anyway. The vet did suggest shoes to bring the breakover back but I'm honestly not sure the reasoning behind that, given he's got a short toe and upright feet already.

palo1

Visit site
I feel really numb, it's weird. I'm not crying. I'm not distraught. I'm kinda just like... numb and a little queasy and accepting.

In some bizarre way, I almost feel relief that this isn't "just" the neck. Even though I don't think coffin joint arthritis alone would have halted his retirement had the neck never been an issue.
I think you've been amazingly determined to clarify what is going on, and hopefully that helps at least a little bit. I really hope the steroids help, they can be amazingly effective. When you know that something is really amiss, it is usually better to be armed with information and a bit of a plan. I hope you can eat and sleep a bit again now. x

Michen

Visit site
I think you've been amazingly determined to clarify what is going on, and hopefully that helps at least a little bit. I really hope the steroids help, they can be amazingly effective. When you know that something is really amiss, it is usually better to be armed with information and a bit of a plan. I hope you can eat and sleep a bit again now. x

Yes it is for sure. Knowledge is power, and I feel better for knowing. Steroids can be a miracle drug, and he was really comfortable after he had them systemically last time post sudden ataxia. Thank you as always 💕

Michen

Visit site
My next decision, guys, is whether to go back to the barn with Dusty and Bog or potentially rent this beautiful little space down the road that I could have for a a bit (and add a temporary loan from the rescue in, to have a third so I can hack Dusty and not stress Bog). The stalls all have runs and I could take a divider down so Bog has a double sized one.

Pros-
Gorgeous, quiet setting to just have peace with my boy (s), a little slice of heaven
Better hacking for Dusty to get him going and very near my friend to hack with
Hacking distance to my old barn for lessons to get Dusty going
A few mins from Beau, to ride him too (otherwise adds another 40 mins to my day to try and ride him too)
Nice flat pasture but would likely get harder than other barn but safer re ataxia
I don't need to feel bad about putting Boggle down, with others seeing him and thinking "he's fine", if I don't
Can walk them to there to move them

Cons-
No arena but friends a 10 min hack away
Would have to organise care when travelling, but very doable and already sorted
Will actually cost more than going back to barn with two horses (but I'm not bothered about cost, just happiness)
Pasture likely to get harder as not wooded/tree type pasture but last spring and summer was so rainy, anyway
Have to deal with a third horse
Will be up there twice a day most days when not travelling. Although, not sure thats not something I wouldn't be doing anyway for Bog for the forseeable
Would I be lonely? Probably not lol

IMG_9849.jpegIMG_9854.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
That looks idyllic, and looks like you’ve made the decision deep down.
You can be sensible when you get older. A lot older.

I think I have, yes, I'm just a little.. scared? To do it. I feel bad not going back to barn and it's not because of the hurt from the reaction because I know with 100% certainty they love us both dearly and just want to try and help.

But I kind of need... room to breath? Quiet to spend this time with Boggle? And a flat easy pasture feels very sensible given potential ataxia onset. I don't know.

Last edited: