Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Have you enjoyed having Dusty and Bog away from the barn or are you missing people? I found that 90% of the time I enjoy my own space and so long as I have people to ride with at times / clinics etc I don't miss livery. That place looks idyllic.

Everything crossed here your new plan works for Boggle xxx

No I've absolutely bloody loved it lol. Even though I LOVE the barn and it's not a busy barn remotely, I only ever really see a couple of people. But the tranquility, the space has just been lovely.

Ceriann

Visit site
Lots of pros and a lovely space to spend time with Bog. It looks idyllic and 3 horses - you always need a companion 😂! Only question is the ground - can you boot Bog if it gets hard? I boot mine summer and/or when it’s frozen and works to keep her comfier.

Michen

Visit site
Lots of pros and a lovely space to spend time with Bog. It looks idyllic and 3 horses - you always need a companion 😂! Only question is the ground - can you boot Bog if it gets hard? I boot mine summer and/or when it’s frozen and works to keep her comfier.

Yes, or I'm thinking about sticking some glue ons on him actually. Thank you. It is a heavenly little place.

McFluff

Visit site
You seem to have such a full on buzzy job and life that a wee bolt hole for a summer with just you and your horses may be the perfect tonic.
I’m sure if you chat to the yard you’ll be able to leave that option open for the future. But you need to go with what you think is best for you now.

Michen

Visit site
You seem to have such a full on buzzy job and life that a wee bolt hole for a summer with just you and your horses may be the perfect tonic.
I’m sure if you chat to the yard you’ll be able to leave that option open for the future. But you need to go with what you think is best for you now.

Thank you. I think I will, it just seems like a really nice option.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Another who is glad you've got some answers and therefore some time to come to terms with everything. Difficult that its not better news.
I think it looks the perfect place to spend some time with your boys. I had a sole use yard for my two and when I moved back to a busy yard I found it really tough going. The peace made my horse time so much more enjoyable. I only lasted a couple of months before going it alone again. After nearly 10 years I'm actually enjoying doing wee bits with my sister's new pony on a yard and having people to chat to, but it makes me savour the quiet all the more!

Michen

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I am having a little glass of wine and some chicken noodle soup (weird as I’m basically a vegan these days).

It’s going to be weird moving forward from here, because I’ve been in this state of distress for over a week now, but now life needs to continue as normal while knowing for sure the inevitable? Feels odd. I wonder if there will ever be a time in this USA adventure where I’m not living in some form of acute stress lol.

Thank you, once again, to all of you for the incredible support/ideas/help/kind words. I had some more photos done of Bog and I again this morning, will hopefully share soon. I liked the last ones but wanted some spring/sunny ones too. There was a reason my hair wasn’t looking like a birds nest and I’d bothered to put a touch of make up on in the pic I posted of us earlier 🤣

Ahrena

Visit site
I absolutely loved it when I started renting my field (and subsequent own yard).

I was a bit scared and worried to start with and I do find I double guess my decisions a bit more but I absolutely LOVE having my own space and the freedom to do whatever I like. As long as you have a support system in place and friends to meet up with occasionally, I think it’s the best of both worlds (and it looks stunning!)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Glad you have a plan and that yard looks great, the only downside is if it gets hard but being flat should help him, as long as you’ve got help for when you can’t be there I can’t see any other problems. It’s nice to have someone to talk to but if you have to make that decision it will be better for you not at the other barn . Hope you can begin to look after yourself now, you need to be well to look after Bog

palo1

Visit site
The sole use yard looks wonderful and would give you space to do whatever you want or need. Depending on the contractual conditions too, you could presumably walk away from it relatively easily if you needed to? Do you think it would not only be good for Bog but also you, after such a very difficult time? It seems important to find some healing space for both of you. As for the inevitable, as you know, awful things can happen at any time. All we really have is the here and now. If you think having your own yard is going to be best, go for it!

Trouper

Visit site
Just catching up with all the news - thank you for updating us so quickly. I am glad you have a plan for Bog for the immediate future and that it gives you time to process all that has happened before you have to make any final decision. I really do believe that it is as important for your health to know that you have made the right decision as it is for his. Time has a way of leadiing us to the right place.

The sole use place looks wonderful if you can manage all the work yourself as well as your job and it would give you some much needed peace and quiet. I hope it would not cut you off from people too much?? After all you have been through, you need some support too. Would there be any way a third horse could come with an owner to help you out at all??

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Just catching up. Sole use yard looks idyllic, and just the place for you to regroup and recharge with your boys.

I guess with my practical head on I’d consider how you’ll feel about not being on-site with them overnight, would this further add to your stresses? Will you feel happy with just the help you have checking in while you’re away with work? How will you juggle any maintenance that’s needed while you’re away? I love having mine at home with me, but I do find everything is amplified, and I find myself missing the camaraderie of a livery set up on bad days when you dearly want a second opinion or someone to commiserate with over a glass of wine.

You’ve also mentioned Bog is particular about the company he keeps, how will you feel if he doesn’t take to his new companion or it triggers the ulcers again?

I’m a chronic overthinker so a lot of this is probably a non-issue but they’d be the kind of questions I’d be asking myself. Ultimately you know Bog best so I have no doubt you’ll do what’s best for you guys, and I think as part of that what makes this next part of the journey most bearable for you absolutely needs to be a big part of the considerations xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes, or I'm thinking about sticking some glue ons on him actually. Thank you. It is a heavenly little place.
Arabi has coffin joint arthritis I use hoof armour on him and I think it definitely helps when he went footy a while back after applying it he was fine a few days later.

Definitely rent the new place it looks lovely 🤩

Caski

Visit site
I think I have, yes, I'm just a little.. scared? To do it. I feel bad not going back to barn and it's not because of the hurt from the reaction because I know with 100% certainty they love us both dearly and just want to try and help.

But I kind of need... room to breath? Quiet to spend this time with Boggle? And a flat easy pasture feels very sensible given potential ataxia onset. I don't know.
I really enjoyed my little yard, just my horses and me! It was a bit of a stress when I had to do them mid winter at 4.30am so that I could present at a morning business meeting in top order, but so worth it for evening cuddles with my boys! I wasn't lonely at all.

Wishing you happiness and a touch of luck!

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I'm glad it looks like you and Bog get to enjoy a summer together at least. It will give you some time to breathe (and eat!) and just enjoy him.
In your place, I would definitely go with the sole use place for the summer. It sounds like it's close enough to company if you need it but will you give you space to just enjoy your boys with no pressure.

alexomahony

Visit site
Just catching up on this thread and started by looking at all the lovely photos on post number 1 back in 2022. What a horse he's been for you, and now, what a human you've been for him.

I hope so much that the steroids will keep him comfortable, but you know him inside out and will be able to tell the second something is up. I think the rented place looks lovely and a really peaceful place to spend hours upon hours with Boggle and Dusty through the summer.

This thread is a constant reminder to enjoy every second we have with our beaufitul horses, it can all change so drastically in a short time. Like many on this forum, we don't know each other personally, but I've followed your journey to the states with awe - you and Bog are next-level cool and I'm sending all my (and my ponies!) love to you both now. xx

Michen

Visit site
Haha, I’m bummed that you guys don’t know me well enough by now to know that as soon as the idea came up I figured out every single aspect of it! When an idea pops in my head, however likely it is, I go into immediate planning mode to figure out every aspect to then see if it’s feasible. It’s a blessing and a major curse..

Muck is sorted, my friend (house I’m in now) husband is very kindly going to come and remove it with their dump trailer and tractor. I am extremely lucky. I have my trusted handyman, Juan for maintenance up the road.

The biggest challenge is currently Bog is on sucralfate four times a day and you can’t give that within 1/2 hours of other meds. So add gabapentin and oral steroids into that and it’s not easy. I think I should be good dropping down to sucralfate three times a day fairly soon.

So my plan is a Starlink router (which I can then sell without a huge loss, according to eBay, as $600 to buy. And set myself up a little home office in the coffee/kitchen room that they have there. Basically just moving my work from home to the barn.

This will also allow me to put a few Wireless cameras up for when I’m not there.

I am worried yes about adding a third horse, whether that will work, whether Bog will get more ulcery moving again but worse case I can get out of it very easily, it’s just a month to month. At least he can walk to the new barn and doesn’t need to trailer for 30 minutes on extremely horrid windy roads. Until July, possibly longer. By July I may chose to PTS Boggle, before the ground gets too hard and the bitey flies are horrible. There’s no use planning with him more than week to week at the moment.

And it’s a 45 min round trip drive from house, which isn’t ideal but isn’t terrible either. I’m pretty used to going twice a day a lot of the time when Bogs been boarding.

I don’t really want a third owner as want the space for myself. But two good friends are a five min drive away for any emergencies, or if I feel they need something on top of what the girl (s) I’ve found to do care can do.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Just catching up on this thread and started by looking at all the lovely photos on post number 1 back in 2022. What a horse he's been for you, and now, what a human you've been for him.

I hope so much that the steroids will keep him comfortable, but you know him inside out and will be able to tell the second something is up. I think the rented place looks lovely and a really peaceful place to spend hours upon hours with Boggle and Dusty through the summer.

This thread is a constant reminder to enjoy every second we have with our beaufitul horses, it can all change so drastically in a short time. Like many on this forum, we don't know each other personally, but I've followed your journey to the states with awe - you and Bog are next-level cool and I'm sending all my (and my ponies!) love to you both now. xx

Thank you so much, we’ve had the best time together. It’s so unfair that it’s shorter than it should but I am very, very lucky to have ever even had a Bog in my life. He’s truly changed it, especially coming here with me, most of my main connections and friends here are because of him.

misst

Visit site
M I'm so glad you have your answers. Not what you wanted but I'm sure relief that you're not going mad and someone else can see what you see is in the mix of sadness.

When one of ours had multiple chronic problems we did something similar and moved him the old girlie and the youngster to a peaceful small yard where a friend had her two. So backup available but more or less just us in our areas. No one to ask questions or try to change my mind.

He should have had the whole summer until October but he decided differently. In July he went suddenly lame in one front foot and that was that. It could have just been a bruise or abscess from pratting about but we just went ahead decision made. Vet was in full support.

That spring and summer hold lovely memories of him looking amazing and being content. I hope
you have lots of time yet but know what a lucky horse he is to have someone care so much xxx

SO1

Visit site
I am so sorry you find yourself in this situation.

I have to admit I don't really understand the science as to why the problem with his feet was masking the ataxia, horses are complex fragile beasts and they break our hearts. I hope the steriods and his other medicines can make him comfortable and you can make the most of time have you over the summer together.

I too would suggest the private yard as long as you have enough help to manage his medication routine if you need to travel for work. I think if you move back to your other barn and your barn friends have a different opinion on what you have decided with PTS I think that is very hard for you to have to do it there. I also think it will be more peaceful for his last months. It will also enable you to spend quiet time with him undisturbed.

When I had to make that decision for Homey my vet sent me a card saying amongst other things that I should be proud of myself because I had tried everything to try and get Homey better. You should be proud of yourself too you have done everything you could to get Bog better and to give him a comfortable life.

I think Dusty came into your life for a reason. He will never replace Bog but he has enabled you to be free of the barn situation and to have Bog where you are now and will enable you to keep Bog at the private yard.