Boggle- USA bound!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have to admit I don't really understand the science as to why the problem with his feet was masking the ataxia,

My understanding of it is this. With ataxia caused by a restriction on the spinal cord in the neck, the limbs are to some extent numb and the horse doesn't know where he is putting his feet down. The advice is to create a much feedback as possible, using chain bracelets around the pasterns, for example. The pain in the feet will likely have been creating a strong signal where the feet were as they were moving, and so reducing the ataxia. When the extra signal was removed with a nerve block, the extent to which he was struggling to know where his legs and feet were was present again.

Bog never did like to give M simple things to resolve!

meleeka

Visit site
My understanding of it is this. With ataxia caused by a restriction on the spinal cord in the neck, the limbs are to some extent numb and the horse doesn't know where he is putting his feet down. The advice is to create a much feedback as possible, using chain bracelets around the pasterns, for example. The pain in the feet will likely have been creating a strong signal where the feet were as they were moving, and so reducing the ataxia. When the extra signal was removed with a nerve block, the extent to which he was struggling to know where his legs and feet were was present again.

Bog never did like to give M simple things to resolve!

Thanks for that. I did think I’d probably be very unstable if my feet were nerve blocked, but that explains it well.

Michen

Visit site
Correct thank you ycbm. My vet has never blocked an ataxic horse but that’s our best guess.

Which is why simply injecting or improving the feet isn’t an option. We have to improve everything including neck and given he only had stem cell into it a couple of months ago it’s not great. Hopefully oral steroids will settle that down too for a bit. But it’s very much a Hail Mary.

Michen

Visit site
Starting to take shape! I ran some electric fence (or am in the process of) at the back as I don’t trust boggle with those low wooden fences and it’s a busy road behind it. Pepper is thrilled about the creek running through. Can’t figure out how to get the water on in electric waterers, the valve inside the thing itself doesn’t seem to be switching on.

Took out a divider between one of the runs so Boggle has a double one, plus he can have a stable between him and Dusty so he only has to socialize if he wants. Couldn’t be more Boggle heaven lol. I’ll need to watch that grass being on steroids. He may find himself with a muzzle. That’ll be nice for Dusty but Bog will not be pleased 🤣

All seems like a crazy amount of effort for a horse who may not even make it through the next few weeks depending on how things go, but, I’m really glad to be taking them here. Going to see temporary companion pony tomorrow. A very chilled Icelandic old boy. Still need to clear out stables they have horrid old dusty bedding in as owners before current used it for dogs. All smells pretty grim! And remote rest of wire around the runs.

That little kitchen will be my new home office!

IMG_0001.jpegIMG_9999.jpegIMG_9998.jpegIMG_9995.jpegIMG_9997.jpegIMG_9994.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I am so sorry you find yourself in this situation.

I have to admit I don't really understand the science as to why the problem with his feet was masking the ataxia, horses are complex fragile beasts and they break our hearts. I hope the steriods and his other medicines can make him comfortable and you can make the most of time have you over the summer together.

I too would suggest the private yard as long as you have enough help to manage his medication routine if you need to travel for work. I think if you move back to your other barn and your barn friends have a different opinion on what you have decided with PTS I think that is very hard for you to have to do it there. I also think it will be more peaceful for his last months. It will also enable you to spend quiet time with him undisturbed.

When I had to make that decision for Homey my vet sent me a card saying amongst other things that I should be proud of myself because I had tried everything to try and get Homey better. You should be proud of yourself too you have done everything you could to get Bog better and to give him a comfortable life.

I think Dusty came into your life for a reason. He will never replace Bog but he has enabled you to be free of the barn situation and to have Bog where you are now and will enable you to keep Bog at the private yard.

That is so lovely of your vets. I know you went through such a similar situation with Homey.

The endless trying, but some things just can’t be fixed no matter how much money we spend or how much modern medicine can offer. It’s so sad and so unfair when other people seem to get away with treating their horses like something disposable and they live forever absolutely fine! I try not to dwell on it because it makes me so bitter.

I don’t regret a single penny I have spent on Bog, even if it has “failed”. Bar the recent events he’s been happy, loved and I’ve had extra precious time with him that is completely priceless. I don't know that I'd have coped with the shark attack without his presence and grounding to keep me focused, working and living life. He’s given me everything, from the turning point in his difficult baby years, always 110%, he’s kept me safe, got me out of many a sticky situation and has made me a far, far better horse person and all round person. I truly don’t think I’d be where I am in life today if it wasn’t for him, for so many reasons and crossroads.

I hope Dusty gets to reap the rewards of the lessons Boggle has taught me over the years, at least for now.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Stunning photos.

I know I mentioned before, Jay-Man was on oral steroids for ataxia. The first 6 weeks, it didn't seem to be helping. He had 6 weeks on them before re-examine and it was only really the last week, half way through, that they seemed to kick in.

They weren't a magic cure, but they did give us more time. I think we hacked around at walk for 6 months and then he had a year in proper retirement. When it was time, it was time. But, I knew it was. I am glad you can try this as it may give you more time together, and hopefully when the time comes, it will be obvious and therefore an easy decision. I don't think someone who hasn't been in that situation of 'playing god' with a beautiful, loved animal would understand the importance of knowing deep within that you are doing the right thing.

The responsibility is huge.

Bog is very lucky. x

palo1

Visit site
Captured exactly what I wanted 🥰 I loved the wintery ones we did but they just didn’t quite show what I wanted to remember. Glad I had these done.

View attachment 138226View attachment 138227View attachment 138228View attachment 138231View attachment 138232View attachment 138230
Fabulous photos! Particularly the last one where Bog's intelligence and spirit really are sparkling 🤩😍. His connection with you is clear and wonderful. So glad you have these gorgeous pics. The new yard looks like a real haven. When will you be moving?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Beautiful photos of both of you, wishing you lots of luck with keeping Bog happy at the new place which looks fabulous…exactly the sort of place I would like if I had horses again

Michen

Visit site
Fabulous photos! Particularly the last one where Bog's intelligence and spirit really are sparkling 🤩😍. His connection with you is clear and wonderful. So glad you have these gorgeous pics. The new yard looks like a real haven. When will you be moving?

I love that one too! Well it’s 5.45am and the rain that I was praying wouldn’t turn to snow, has…which is annoying as it’s a 10/15 min walk to the barn through wooded bit or a 25 min road walk very downhill (don’t want to do that to Bog).

But it’s wet snow so hopefully gone tomorrow! Aiming to walk them down there Monday morning first thing.

Stunning photos.

I know I mentioned before, Jay-Man was on oral steroids for ataxia. The first 6 weeks, it didn't seem to be helping. He had 6 weeks on them before re-examine and it was only really the last week, half way through, that they seemed to kick in.

They weren't a magic cure, but they did give us more time. I think we hacked around at walk for 6 months and then he had a year in proper retirement. When it was time, it was time. But, I knew it was. I am glad you can try this as it may give you more time together, and hopefully when the time comes, it will be obvious and therefore an easy decision. I don't think someone who hasn't been in that situation of 'playing god' with a beautiful, loved animal would understand the importance of knowing deep within that you are doing the right thing.

The responsibility is huge.

Bog is very lucky. x

Thank you I do remember, it was after the initial onset right? Like Bog had when he was in hospital. I’m not holding out too much hope that they will work for a second time round.

Typical Colorado, sunbathing yesterday, snow today!

IMG_0029.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Hmmm, I feel pulses. Not fast but fairly strong and more apparent in one leg though I have to admit to not really knowing what's normal for him on that front these days. I can feel it just above the fetlock but not lower down. Feet are cold, seems comfortable. I guess I just continue because if he can't tolerate the steroids that will hopefully get him more comfortable then he'd be PTS anyway?

If it wasn't one or the other I'd discontinue them immediately but...

Never easy, Bog, never easy.

GrassChop

Visit site
I might be wrong and sorry if I am but I get the impression that you might feel like you're delaying the inevitable and in a way just want to get the hurt done and over with but don't. He's okay at the moment, you're managing it. Take each day as it comes, you don't need to make any decisions right now.
Try not to torture yourself and just breath. He's happy and he's managed. Horses with worse conditions can lead a happy retirement with the right management.

I only think this because I think I'm the same. If I put in my head that I'm going to have to do it in a few weeks then I'll just do it now because I can't stand the wait and just want to face the heartbreak but you don't have to do that. You never know where things will be in a month's time.

Just take care of yourself xx

Michen

Visit site
I’ve just invested nearly $1000 in setting up a private yard for him, so I’d really rather he did indeed get a little more time lol. So no I don’t want to just get it over and done with. But I’m not going to keep him going for my own sake if he is not right, happy, comfy.

I am taking each day as it comes, but he has to be comfortable and quickly. I just found two massive bite marks on Dusty’s neck, broken the skin. So clearly hadn’t got him as happy as I thought.

It is draining.

BMA2

Visit site
I think now you have "a plan" you'll be able to relax a bit...

The date is flexible but you've accepted the inevitable.

We all know people that have lost horses all of a sudden or very young animals that have gone catastrophically wrong so nothing is ever a given

Michen

Visit site
Thoughts guys, I think the wooded short cut ten min walk won’t be feasible Monday am as will still have snow and be icy. Alternative is I walk him 30 mins down long windy road. Or load them up and trailer them ten mins. Roads should be melted off and clear but wooded bit doesn’t get enough sun and is not flat it’s also very downhill.

Not sure what the better option is for a fragile ulcery horse? Trailer journey will cause more stress but walking harder on him physically?

GrassChop

Visit site
I’ve just invested nearly $1000 in setting up a private yard for him, so I’d really rather he did indeed get a little more time lol. So no I don’t want to just get it over and done with. But I’m not going to keep him going for my own sake if he is not right, happy, comfy.

I am taking each day as it comes, but he has to be comfortable and quickly. I just found two massive bite marks on Dusty’s neck, broken the skin. So clearly hadn’t got him as happy as I thought.

It is draining.
That's my mistake, I only thought it as my brain processes things that way sometimes when I know that I'm going to experience more pain, I just want to put myself through it now instead of later, no idea why. It's not a good thing a lot of the time, probably a bit self sabotaging!

I think you'll have a bit more time, he'll be in a mostly flat pasture so no strain, he should just be able to mooch around in his own comfort levels, although he usually seems to not know what's good for him 😂

Personally, I'd just trailer them, it's only 10 minutes and he's already on ulcer treatment so it shouldn't have too much of an impact.

I guess the new treatment needs time to kick in. With how the feeling in his feet helped the ataxia, I'm not clued up on it but could you put some sort of boot on that would help? Did you find out why he had pain in his feet as well?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Could it be the snow/ cold causing raised pulses? Can you wait a couple of days to move until snow goes? If not I would trailer if its safe to do. I really hope you get to have a lovely summer.