Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Can you get road nails there? They might help with grip.

In Aus I bought a box of my own and just gave some to the farrier every time he shod as he didn't have them otherwise.

You can yes, I’m just avoiding them for now as I don’t want to add any concussion to his feet at the moment.. mostly I can ride on the verge and get away with it!

palo1

Visit site

Michen

Visit site
Send help! Boggle is more feral and cheeky by the second. He’s also trotting much more normal without the swingy leg thing. Leading him 100 metres to the other pasture is like leading a wild stallion, cantering on the spot and being very feral. He’s barging through his stall chain, opening gates, getting in places he shouldn’t be at every opportunity and generally being extremely bright. This morning was a rug tear down for being a little late with his breakfast 🤣

Dusty looks to be standing better, maybe, but I don’t know what to do about this sleep deprivation issue. He doesn’t sleep in his stall I’ve only ever seen him lying down outside. I watch him on camera and he literally buckles and falls asleep on his face. I’ve tried swapping stalls to see if he’s happier not next to bog (although to be fair bog is very civil now). I’ve tried pain relief incase it’s that but I don’t see how as he rolls plenty and does lie down but just clearly doesn’t sleep. Has anyone dealt with this before? Any suggestions? Maybe he just doesn’t feel comfortable in a quiet yard without tons of horses.

IMG_0808.jpeg

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My sisters horse used to do this, he was only stabled when he came to our yard and he had never slept in a stable before.....we had to move him from the smaller 5 horse barn into the bigger barn and he was in the middle of a row.

He is a very herdy horse and is more happier in the middle of the row and we managed to see him start laying down and sleeping.

My sister caught him falling over as he was so tired in his stable.

Not sure what to suggest as he wasnt like this at the previous one? Not the one with the Pig.

Glad Bog is feeling well 😁

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve had two do it. One resolved once she was more settled and the other was because he had arthritis and lived out in winter, so didn’t have anywhere to lay really. That one never did resolve and he was PTS a short time later when he looked to be struggling to get up after rolling.

How long has the new one been there? He might just need longer to settle, especially if he’s not used to moving round often.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Just to show they’re all different.
I can’t explain the not lying down in the stable but my pony never laid down in the stable at home but slept for hours in the field flat. He laid down normally. He never collapsed.
Now he is at livery in a busier yard he sleeps flat out both in the stable and in the field.

Horses, eh?

Michen

Visit site
I’m not sure if he did it at the piggy yard as I didn’t have a camera on him.. he could have!

Peglo

Visit site
Think Bog knows that this is HIS barn now. He certainly seems happy. Definitely think you need a pig, that’ll show him who’s boss 🤣

Is there an option to leave them out all night? If Dusty prefers lying down outside he may get more sleep if he’s out 24/7. Does the other horses snooze at the same time as him or is he by himself? Mine tend to sleep at the same time but one is always standing on guard duty and they switch that role so they can all get a good deep sleep.

Hopefully he will settle soon and get the sleep he needs.

GypsGal1718

Visit site
Have a listen to Audrey de clue podcast on sleep deprivation in sport horses. She has interesting points . The podcast is called horse first a veterinary horse sport podcast

I'm Dun

Visit site
Leo does this as well. Sleeps flat out in the field, but doesn't like sleeping in the stable. Then he can buckle when he's stood tied up and dozes off. I had the vet out to check him years ago, and have just kept an eye on him ever since. Hes a quirky pony at the best of times who has had a fairly horrific life, so I just put it down to some trauma from past stuff. Hes always been totally fine ridden and driven and handled. Its literally if he's stood with people in the vicinity and he dozes off. Hes always caught himself in time.

Michen

Visit site
thanks everyone for the suggestions and info! Appreciated. Face of a dog who decided to have her own vets bill of $1,000. She went for vaccines and vet found her really quite stiff and sore in one hip. Started talking about arthritis and displacement etc and how successful full hip replacements are if needed. Obviously I panicked and was any easy sell for some x rays.

Her hips are fine but she’s banned from any ball throwing for a bit 🙈

IMG_0840.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
I have to say this sleep deprivation thing is very frustrating. Tried overnight turnout last night. Dusty came straight in, ate half his breakfast and laid down. Yes I thought! Except after five mins he got up again. Why oh why.. he rolls all the time, loves a dust bath. He doesn’t look to struggle getting up or down at all. I just don’t get why he won’t just sleep.

When he lay down this morning his muzzle was on the ground and he looked like he was nodding off but then he just seems to stop himself.

He seems to be standing better and in fact the times I see him point a foreleg are when he’s just dozed off/nearly fallen, I think he does it to try and brace himself.

Poor guy I just want to help him. The vet and rescue are coming Wednesday to assess him. There’s no rush for him to go anywhere, it doesn’t matter if he’s ridden or not and I don’t want to send Helo back either as regardless I think a herd of three is better. But maybe he just doesn’t like it here and prefers a yard with more horses? I don’t know :(

Bog seemed to want to be in the stable next door so I cleaned it out and now he has a choice of two that he can use, not spoilt at all!

Michen

Visit site
Again just saw him lying down on the camera. For one minute and then got straight back up. It’s got to be pain, but he looks great trotting around and there was nothing on the work up that indicated anything so sinister. Urgh!

Michen

Visit site
Possibly but you’d think that would show on a flexion? We found him sore in his feet but his front limbs didn’t react to flexion at all. It’s so tricky.

Michen

Visit site
Random suggestion, have you tried different types of bedding?

Yep. He was on wood pellets. Then I tried shavings and made him a nice thick bed. I don’t think it’s bedding as this morning he lay down outside in the run (dirt and wood pellets) then briefly just now in the stable.

Thank you though, any suggestions are helpful! I think the knee could be interesting, maybe we need to re flexion and see.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It could just be that his had a few moves quite close together and it just will take time for him to feel settled.

My mare did similar when I moved her from a yard she had been on for 5 years to where I worked and she didn't lay down properly for ages, then when I moved her again literally up the road same thing happened.

I know she wasn't getting enough sleep as she was dead on her feet and a few times I caught her down but she would get up really quickly.

After a few months she was fine and her sleep went back to normal.

Michen

Visit site
It could just be that his had a few moves quite close together and it just will take time for him to feel settled.

My mare did similar when I moved her from a yard she had been on for 5 years to where I worked and she didn't lay down properly for ages, then when I moved her again literally up the road same thing happened.

I know she wasn't getting enough sleep as she was dead on her feet and a few times I caught her down but she would get up really quickly.

After a few months she was fine and her sleep went back to normal.

Yeah maybe but the getting down and then getting up again quickly just seems odd. He seems totally relaxed.. he’s been there 6 weeks now and it seems to be getting worse not better.

It’s so frustrating! Thanks though. Will see what vet says Wednesday.

Trouper

Visit site
Are they enough of a "herd" yet for one of them to be on guard duty when the others sleep, or are they too much their own individual characters yet to have bonded into that routine?

Michen

Visit site
They are pretty tight. Nearly always together. I’m going to keep going with overnight turnout and in during day all together and see.