Boggle- USA bound!

Kunoichi73

Visit site
That is such a nice thing to say! Especially as I feel like I’m failing Dusty at the moment, so thank you. X
Michen, you should never feel like you're failing any of your animals. You've gone above and beyond to make sure each of them is happy and comfortable. You're an inspiration. Please look after yourself the same way, though.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
That is such a nice thing to say! Especially as I feel like I’m failing Dusty at the moment, so thank you. X

You've got to be one of the best horse parents in the world! You notice the tiny details which many wouldn't.

I noticed last year that one of my horses wouldn't sleep for long periods for a while - one evening she almost buckled over on me and I was extremely worried. Her immune system was low at the time but also she just really hated sleeping in the shelter rather than outside (bad past associations with stabling, although this was an open shelter). I found that she lay down more when I made her bed extra thick, but also she is generally sleeping much better outside now that we're into Summer and the fields are dry.

With Dusty, maybe he just needs more time to settle and feel completely comfortable in his environment?

Michen

Visit site
Michen, you should never feel like you're failing any of your animals. You've gone above and beyond to make sure each of them is happy and comfortable. You're an inspiration. Please look after yourself the same way, though.

I am I promise! Off for a weekends holiday with some friends in the mountains and have lots of nice fun stuff coming up.

Most importantly I've managed not to buy a horse and just be content with my non ridden herd and riding Beau :D

Trouper

Visit site
Can understand why it all constantly preys on your mind about what to do with them all but from a more detached point of view across the pond, it does seem to me that Dusty brings many benefits of the non-ridden variety. He seems to have had a very beneficial effect on Bog being a very calm, non-challenging herd member which, given Bog's circumstances, is no bad thing in retirement!

I realise you have some concerns over Dusty's own health just now and hope these can be allayed by the vet's visit. If any problems can be managed, it might be good to give the two friends a few more months together??

Caol Ila

Visit site
It is very difficult. I'd definitely not make any decisions until the vet consulation.

My old horse also malfunctioned at tiny yards. I don't think she lay down very much. She would fall asleep on her feet while I was grooming her, and while she never actually hit the deck (to my knowledge anyway), her knees would buckle and she'd catch herself. The problem promptly went away when we moved to a bigger yard. I know that doesn't help you! Other than knowing, it's not just you.

If you decide that the best thing for Dusty is to send him back to the rescue, could you look for another third herd member? A loan or another rescue foster if you don't want to buy a new horse? Plenty of horses don't mind wee yards. Your set-up sounds sweet for Boggle. I think it has a lot going for it! It's just a shame if Dusty is one of those horses who can't cope with that sort of place.

Michen

Visit site
It is very difficult. I'd definitely not make any decisions until the vet consulation.

My old horse also malfunctioned at tiny yards. I don't think she lay down very much. She would fall asleep on her feet while I was grooming her, and while she never actually hit the deck (to my knowledge anyway), her knees would buckle and she'd catch herself. The problem promptly went away when we moved to a bigger yard. I know that doesn't help you! Other than knowing, it's not just you.

If you decide that the best thing for Dusty is to send him back to the rescue, could you look for another third herd member? A loan or another rescue foster if you don't want to buy a new horse? Plenty of horses don't mind wee yards. Your set-up sounds sweet for Boggle. I think it has a lot going for it! It's just a shame if Dusty is one of those horses who can't cope with that sort of place.
That’s my exact fear. I think I’ll leave it in the hands of the rescue and vet to decide what’s best.

I want to help, if the rescue has another gelding that needs some love they can swap them.

Will be very sad if Dusty has to go though. Maybe less sad now I’ve come up to find he’s thrown a shoe, though! And Boggle had I assumed jumped the electric fence at the back but didn’t feel he could jump it back in and they’ve torn the field to shreds as we have had a ton if rain. Horrors.

Domirati

Visit site
My horse falls asleep and falls over in summer when he is out 24/7. I have seen him fall asleep eating his feed. Falls forward and wakes up. Always been fine riding, had vet check him over, no health issues just not sleeping and when he falls asleep he doesn’t lock his knees like the others do. He is 17 now and has done it for the 12 years I have had him. Very rarely lies down. I tend to bring him in for a few hours in the morning to have a nap. I don’t worry about it any more. Very quiet here, only three of them. He is fine in winter when he is in at night. I think it forces him to sleep.

Hopefully there will be nothing wrong with Dusty. 🤞

Michen

Visit site
My horse falls asleep and falls over in summer when he is out 24/7. I have seen him fall asleep eating his feed. Falls forward and wakes up. Always been fine riding, had vet check him over, no health issues just not sleeping and when he falls asleep he doesn’t lock his knees like the others do. He is 17 now and has done it for the 12 years I have had him. Very rarely lies down. I tend to bring him in for a few hours in the morning to have a nap. I don’t worry about it any more. Very quiet here, only three of them. He is fine in winter when he is in at night. I think it forces him to sleep.

Hopefully there will be nothing wrong with Dusty. 🤞

Thank you for that! Urgh it’s really tricky. He’s covered in little scrapes and superficial injuries from it.

I am very convinced it’s physical. Whilst I do see him roll I also see him get half down and change his mind quite a bit.

I’m just not sure what the rescue will even be able to do when there was nothing obvious bar the feet on a full lameness with up.

GypsGal1718

Visit site
Hope he gets better, may sound like a stupid question but have you checked over all of him not just limbs in the work up? Good luck with it all!

Michen

Visit site
I’ve never had Bog chunky before, doll would you say he’s worryingly overweight? I could muzzle him but just hate to as I know he will absolutely hate it..I am just worried as he’s on the steroids.

Video of his morning antics. Gosh if he’s like this at end of summer I have no idea what I’ll do, I can’t imagine PTS in his current state. Hauling him out of Colorado for 16 hours to avoid winter doesn’t feel like a good option either.

IMG_1018.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
I think he looks really well!

Ok maybe I’m being paranoid! I’ve just not had him this unfit/chunky before. I guess in my head I thought well if he gets lami then decision made, but obviously I’d like to avoid it.

stangs

Visit site
He looks round (shoulder fat pad?) but not worryingly overweight, so I wouldn't worry for now. But doing a regular body condition/cresty neck score might help ease your mind.

Michen

Visit site
He looks round (shoulder fat pad?) but not worryingly overweight, so I wouldn't worry for now. But doing a regular body condition/cresty neck score might help ease your mind.

Yeah I’d say his got some shoulder fat going on. He’s always had a thick sort of neck so it’s kind of hard to tell. I need to look up how to body score as I’ve never had to worry about it before!

meleeka

Visit site
I think as long as he’s still really active in the field, he looks ok. Every horse I’ve ever known with diet induced laminitis, was ultimately because they don’t have enough exercise. He looks like he’s getting plenty! Obviously steroid induced would be different.

Michen

Visit site
I think as long as he’s still really active in the field, he looks ok. Every horse I’ve ever known with diet induced laminitis, was ultimately because they don’t have enough exercise. He looks like he’s getting plenty! Obviously steroid induced would be different.

He certainly keeps himself busy in life haha. I never thought Bog would be one that could be retired quietly, but he actually is totally fine. He gets his kicks ducking under his stall chain, throwing halters around, ripping all the rugs off the racks and generally being Bog like but in a cheeky happy way.

Just goes to show that really, most busy horses in the right environment absolutely can be retired, even when we like to use it as an excuse to PTS when not wanting to keep a field ornament (albiet I totally support doing that and have done so!)