Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
Well… I basically spent two hours rebacking a horse lol. He needs to be treated like a complete clean slate. There is a lot to like, but plenty of things to unpick/fix for sure. He’s a mixture of worried, maybe a bit sore (terrible fitting saddle), rude, funny, intelligent, sensitive.

I didn’t walk away thinking omg I love this horse I can’t be without him, I did walk away feeling intrigued and like he could be really cool and interesting. When I eventually sat on him, I really liked the size/shape/feel of him.

I would not pay a penny more than half of what they want for him. He is a lot of project. I threw a number out and if they come back to me on it I will think carefully and sleep on it.

I walked away feeling sad at the idea of him not being in my barn but also very matter of fact that probably he would be a pain in the arse in my barn!

Oh and I was impressed with my courage to get on something that many probably wouldn’t have, lol. There was no test rider. And I did enjoy our time together- it was rewarding how he finished va how he started. So I do think I like that bit a lot.

IMG_2148.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
It was interesting in many ways because I think I now know a few things about myself and what I want and what I am or am not capable of.

Yes he improved and quick. He started off extremely worried.

I think she was thrilled at how I got on with him but my honest thought (and what she said really) is that they rushed him and messed him up a bit and now she has to explain to the owner whose not very horsey, why he’s not worth the price they hoped. She was very honest and I really appreciated her for that.

Including shipping, at the price I would be willing to pay, I can afford to write it off and not be too annoyed. He would still need to pass a vetting though but I wouldn’t bother with x rays.

Michen

Visit site
Very interesting analysis. I was so looking forward to hearing what you thought of him.

I hope they realise how good you would be for him and accept a lower price. An improvement in him in 1 ride is promising.

Will you ride him again or are you on your way back?

No on my way back! Dressage competition this weekend :)

Michen

Visit site
He is very handsome and I’m sure you have good history with bay boys called Jack…?

All joking aside, very interesting analysis and am looking forward to hearing what happens next.

This is true!!!

He was interesting. I did really enjoy my time with him.

If they want to discuss my offer then that’s cool, and I can play with him over winter and see how I feel in spring or sell him if I’m not keen. If not, no harm done either.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It sounds like you’d be really good for him, and that he’s got enough about him that he won’t be boring. The fact you saw such a quick improvement is promising. It sounds like the seller knows he’s overpriced in his current state, it’s just whether the owner will accept less I guess.

I always think viewings like this are helpful regardless of whether you bring the horse home as they help cement exactly what you actually want versus what you think you want/need, but it’s a shame it wasn’t an instant “OMG I want him” or “not for me” as they’re always simpler.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Totally! I’m really glad I went to see him. And his shape, size, neck was PERFECT for me. I got on him and thought yeh this is my kinda build for sure.

I also think I’d be good for him (not that I’m anything other than a very average rider- but because I’d take it super slow and just get to know him all winter)
I think you look good on him.

It's great that you're sharing all these details with us. It's interesting for someone like me who won't be buying anything any time soon, to see what people think about when looking for and trying a new horse.

Thank you for including us in your horse search journey. 😃

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
He is handsome. It does sound as if the owners aren't terribly knowledgeable. Was it them that rushed him and then sent him to the trainer you viewed him with? I hope they accept your offer!

Honestly no the trainer has rushed him. They wanted him to go to a ridden show last weekend. I expect under pressure to get a certain price for him and get him sold.

The trainer fully said she pushed him too hard and has set him way back.

EventingMum

Visit site
Honestly no the trainer has rushed him. They wanted him to go to a ridden show last weekend. I expect under pressure to get a certain price for him and get him sold.

The trainer fully said she pushed him too hard and has set him way back.
Wow! I suppose at least she is honest but what a shame for Jack.

Caol Ila

Visit site
He's a beautiful pony. I hope they come down to a fair price you can live with, because he sounds like he needs a person like you in his life.

It's always hard to know with a youngster who you've got. There were days with Hermosa when I was like, this is the best horse in the world. Then there were phases (especially the one right after I weaned the foal, where everything I'd taught her in the previous year went completely out the f**king window), where I was like, I'll back you, then I'll sell you.