Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
I can't believe they presented you with a barely backed horse! You do look good on him....

Yup lol.

I mean guys this is a big project. And there could well be something physical that maybe a vetting won’t find. His canter, loose, was fast and flat and he’d much prefer to do a big trot instead.

He freaked when I leant over quietly and patted him. Didn’t do it again, but we are talking reactive. I spent ages getting him not worried and quite literally treating him like he had never been got on before. When I did get on, he napped at the exit. Half hearted, didn’t escalate it, but did it several times.

He has NO clue about anything. I might as well be buying something that’s never been broken in. In fact, he may be worse, because he has been broken in but has gone backwards.

I’m questioning why I’m not running away screaming from him.

They just agreed to accept half the asking price, I’m going to vet him plus X ray his back to rule out anything sinister.

Worse case including shipping he’s an expensive project in UK money but not for American money 🤣

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yup lol.

I mean guys this is a big project. And there could well be something physical that maybe a vetting won’t find. His canter, loose, was fast and flat and he’d much prefer to do a big trot instead.

He freaked when I leant over quietly and patted him. Didn’t do it again, but we are talking reactive. I spent ages getting him not worried and quite literally treating him like he had never been got on before. When I did get on, he napped at the exit. Half hearted, didn’t escalate it, but did it several times.

He has NO clue about anything. I might as well be buying something that’s never been broken in. In fact, he may be worse, because he has been broken in but has gone backwards.

They just agreed to accept half the asking price, I’m going to vet him plus X ray his back to rule out anything sinister.

Worse case including shipping he’s an expensive project in UK money but not for American money 🤣

LOL, sounds like my kind of horse, the way I've been going. Like Hermosa was unhandled, so that was fun, but Fin was a mess because people had backed him and done things but rushed him and made an arse out of it. At least with any glitch with Hermosa, I know who's fault it is (mine! all mine!) and what happened to cause the problem. With Fin, I had to untangle other people's screw ups, which was harder because I had some idea of what happened, but never a clear picture at all. He knew nothing. He didn't even steer reliably. But the thing that sold me on him was that I rode him the school on one of our test rides, and it was bleedingly obvious that he was terrified of it. Someone had really ballsed up his schooling. Despite his intense fear (poor guy was sweating buckets and felt like he'd implode if I asked for anything other than walking around), I could feel that he wanted to try to please me and he didn't want me dead or off his back. That made me think, "Oh, well, this will be a massive project but I think I've got a chance at sorting this, 'cause he hasn't bucked me off yet."

He's never become my perfect dream horse. His refusal to hack alone is frustrating, but it's tolerable because Hermosa does. One out of two ain't bad. But he's become a cute little dressage pony (Hermosa thinks the school is BORING!!). He was also 10 or 11 when he came into my life. A 4/5 year old is much more malleable.

Michen

Visit site
Very wise to get his back xrayed just in case. How are you feeling now they’ve accepted the offer?

Honestly I was about to write a post, actually post a post I’d written saying I was going to walk away regardless for many good reasons but now I’m actually kinda hoping he passes the vet ;)

I have no expectations of him!

Michen

Visit site
Fingers crossed. He’s either a really stupid, stupid mistake or I’ve got a potentially cracking horse for a very good price!

My plan would be to not even think of getting on him until next spring but plenty of groundwork. No pressure on either of us. Just another stable to muck out, a few hundred bucks more a month in hay and something to play with when I feel like it. Or, not!

JenJ

Visit site
Yup lol.

This makes me so so happy! I really hope he does ok with the vet 🥰

Michen

Visit site
This makes me so so happy! I really hope he does ok with the vet 🥰

I'm really surprised that you guys aren't all going WTF are you thinking buying this project it's the last thing you need?

I was not expecting you to all think this is remotely a good idea though I'm sure there are some people who do think the above :D

Sheep

Visit site
I'm really surprised that you guys aren't all going WTF are you thinking buying this project it's the last thing you need?

I was not expecting you to all think this is remotely a good idea though I'm sure there are some people who do think the above :D

Ehhh… pal… you have past history of mad decisions so it doesn’t matter a jot what we say 😂
Everything crossed for vetting!xx

Michen

Visit site
Ehhh… pal… you have past history of mad decisions so it doesn’t matter a jot what we say 😂
Everything crossed for vetting!xx

Haha I am far more mature these days and can be talked out of things but ya'll are feeding the madness this time ;)

I dunno I feel quite chilled about it, I like the fact I'm spending a third of what the grey UK import would have cost. I like the fact there's no pressure to do anything or much all winter.

My main gripe is that he's not as handsome as Boggle but hopefully I'll get over that. haha.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I honestly don’t think I could have ever imagined you going for a ready made horse anyway, and the fact this guy needs someone like you makes it sound like he’ll be the low pressure distraction you need right now. You’ve got the perfect approach in terms of taking things slow over winter and building up from there, and despite how green he is now you still felt happy to hop on and have a play with him today and like what you felt which speaks volumes to what this guy could potentially become.

Would you be planning to move him to a boarding barn in the spring? I guess the only snag I could foresee is trying to reback him, essentially alone, from your otherwise idyllic haven so having help on the ground would definitely be useful, especially if he has spicier moments.

Michen

Visit site
I honestly don’t think I could have ever imagined you going for a ready made horse anyway, and the fact this guy needs someone like you makes it sound like he’ll be the low pressure distraction you need right now. You’ve got the perfect approach in terms of taking things slow over winter and building up from there, and despite how green he is now you still felt happy to hop on and have a play with him today and like what you felt which speaks volumes to what this guy could potentially become.

Would you be planning to move him to a boarding barn in the spring? I guess the only snag I could foresee is trying to reback him, essentially alone, from your otherwise idyllic haven so having help on the ground would definitely be useful, especially if he has spicier moments.

No you are right I don't think I'd have bought something ready made. I realised that too when I was like no to spending mega money. And also I like the training/progress and relationship building.

I have enough friends to rope in to help me on the ground and an arena I can use next door. And another a ten min hack. I also have a young but very competent teen about to start doing some work for me, so I could defo pay her to be on the ground etc.

Worst case I'll get on the dating apps and find a boyfriend to help :D

Last edited:

Lurfy

Visit site
At least you will be able to pat the boyfriend, seeing as how you can't pat the horse :).
I hope the vetting and horse work out for you. He reminds me of our tb when he was 5 and off the track. He launched forward when he was patted, very reactive. He's 24 now and still a character, but once he worked out his job he settled down a lot under saddle. I hope if the new horse is meant to be, the path goes very smoothly for you. I do like the look of him.

Titchy Pony

Visit site

This HHO, we're all for buying the horse!

Also, what sounds sensible on paper is not necessarily what's needed when it comes to horse people. We just have to accept we're all crazy and embrace the madness.

I hope all goes well for the vetting and you can enjoy a winter of playing with him.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You are doing the right thing getting him well X-rayed and then making the decision based on as much information on as possible.
He’s the perfect size for you and will look very different when he gets less tense .
Sure he’s a big project sometimes it is best to go with your gut feeling even if the horse fails to meet your criteria on paper .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I think he’s pretty good looking, when I got my mare I told people she was workman like and when I got her home everyone said she was beautiful. After a while I saw what they did but I loved my other horse so much I couldn’t see how pretty my new one was. I think that’s how you feel as well, nothing would be as good looking as Bog to you. I really hope he passes the vet as you look good on him and you will be able to make a huge difference to him even if you do decide to sell him on. Good luck

I'm Dun

Visit site

I just have a really good feeling about him. I think he's exactly what you need. Working with him will either let a really close relationship form between you or it wont and he will be able to be sold on to a good home. I think he needs you and you need something like that.

Trouper

Visit site
Well I think he has certainly found his person. Just reading through your account and other replies it just shines out that you are the right person to "fix" this guy. I do hope he passes the vetting and doubtless cheeky Bog will soon have him coming out of his shell.

How soon can the vetting be done- not that we are invested in this at all you understand ;) ;)

Michen

Visit site
Still shocked to wake up to no post telling me this is a really dumb idea- haha!!

He is being vetted next Thursday afternoon at 3pm. I’m having her haul him to a clinic because the ground is very stony where they are and he took the odd understandably tender step. I don’t want any lameness to be passed off as being footsore. So he’s going in for proper facilities. Then you’ve got Adrenalin from new place maybe making them look sounder than they are but I still think it’s the safer bet. Btw a 5 stage vetting plus back x rays- 308 English pounds. Canada for the win!

Happy to take on a project but not a lame project as by UK standards he’s still not a cheap horse when you add the shipping etc.

It’s going to be a long week waiting for the vet!

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I think he's a stunner. You seem a lot more confident in you abilities now you've seen him as well which I think is deserved. I'm not sure many people would turn up to view a horse and then reback him so calmly!

As @Ahrena said when she saw the videos fair for getting on that 🤣🤣

I only did it because I thought well if I can’t get on him here then I might as well go because I’ll definitely be too scared to do much at home.

And once I was up there even when he was napping I liked the feel of his shape and size and neck a lot!