Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
I have a 19 year old Morgan in Australia. I've had him from a just started 3 year old. He has always been a really sensible horse. I am an older rider (nearly 70) he certainly looks after me out on the trail. BUT, he has also done 80 Eventing with my Granddaugter and won a number of rugs with her in Eventing, Dressage and Showjumping. He is the most versatile horse I have ever come across. All my Granddaughters instructors have told her he is a unicorn. He is only 15.1 hh and has now finished eventing as he did an annular ligament 18 months ago. He's now fully recovered but I've decided only hacking and a bit of dressage as I want him around for a lot more years. My daughter also rides him out and for he he has pizzaz, but for me he just plods at my level. I hope the viewing goes well Michen, I love my Morgan.

Thank you that’s awesome to hear! I’m keeping my hopes up that maybe this is third time lucky. Lame ex racer and a failed vetting this year…

BBP

Visit site
It does seem a little unusual for a show producer in the US to leave a horse til 5 to start him, but that it’s wildly stereotyping of me! Assuming it’s for legitimate reasons (like for me I no longer believe in putting weight on their backs at 3 or even 4 anymore) then you could be on to a great thing with a 5yo. Structurally ready, not messed with. Could be great fun.

Michen

Visit site
It does seem a little unusual for a show producer in the US to leave a horse til 5 to start him, but that it’s wildly stereotyping of me! Assuming it’s for legitimate reasons (like for me I no longer believe in putting weight on their backs at 3 or even 4 anymore) then you could be on to a great thing with a 5yo. Structurally ready, not messed with. Could be great fun.
Canada, they’d be very insulted if you compared them to the US ;)

Michen

Visit site
Eeeeek I'm excited. And nervous. And feel weird. It's been maybe 10 years since I properly viewed a horse l was looking to buy.

Sooooo much has happened on this thread, from eventing in the UK, flying Bog here, snowy hacks, the pneumonia, the amazing recovery and rehab, the huge financial stress, then the utterly devastating second hospital admission with more financial stress, him recovering and thinking I may ride again to then nearly being PTS to rallying, Dusty, then vetting the grey horse in the UK, now flying to Canada for this morgan. And a shark attack death related trauma in the mix. It's been such a rubbish time BUT if you'd told me a year ago I'd even be a position to think about buying another horse I'd have laughed...many hours were spent staring at the huge amount of debt that ended up spread over 5 different credit cards across 2 countries. I actually remember driving back from dropping Bog off at hospital the second time, throwing up with stress and then getting straight on a call with a client and my boss to close out a deal. All I could think about was having to be on that call because my god I needed the money to come in to pay for this utter s*** show.

It feels sad in one way to accept that I am looking for my next riding partner because it definitely won't be Boggle, but also kind of good somehow at the same time. Moving on but not moving on because Bog is still here, in great spirits and very much loved.

Fingers crossed for "Jack"!

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Landed in Canada. Also occurred to me that even driving 3 hours to view a horse in the UK seems a lot. Not sure how a three hour drive plus international flight albeit short somehow seems very normal 🙈 justifying it that I have not seen a thing advertised in the USA that I’ve been motivated to go see so far. lol.

And I had to borrow my friends suitcase when I last visited as mine broke so I did need to return that :)

Last edited:

nutjob

Visit site
Also occurred to me that even driving 3 hours to view a horse in the UK seems a lot.
I viewed 2 horses that were 3 hours away this year (not suitable) and 8 others, only one of which was within an hour. Previously I've taken flights to Ireland and Germany to see a specific horse I liked although both of these were breeders / dealers and had lined up others which were similar to the one I was interested in. TBH for me it's more weird to spend a lot of money on a horse you haven't seen or ridden. You'll get to see your friends, hopefully have a scenic drive in Canada and if this horse doesn't work out then the lady could well be a useful connection to help you find what your looking for. Good luck!

Trouper

Visit site
Have you got your list of things you specifically want to check out, questions you want answered. I only say because I know that excitement often scrambles my brain and I forget something critical if I haven't written it down.

Looking forward to the visit report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EventingMum

Visit site
Good luck! Honestly, 3 hours is nothing for the right horse - I've travelled far further in the UK (probably because I'm in Scotland) sometimes successfully, sometimes not. The two that spring to mind were flying to Bristol with several horses lined up to view where we spent a full day with Matt Ryan but nothing quite ticked the box and spending the next two days looking at various others to find one which subsequently the vet didn't like although technically passed to then come home and find "the one" 15 miles from home! The second was flying to Southampton and after viewing finding our flight home cancelled and being stuck there overnight. In that instance a very astute vet kindly did some detective work to uncover the sellers multiple lies! I think the right one will find you one way or another and be a lucky horse to have you as their owner Michen.

Michen

Visit site
Good luck! Honestly, 3 hours is nothing for the right horse - I've travelled far further in the UK (probably because I'm in Scotland) sometimes successfully, sometimes not. The two that spring to mind were flying to Bristol with several horses lined up to view where we spent a full day with Matt Ryan but nothing quite ticked the box and spending the next two days looking at various others to find one which subsequently the vet didn't like although technically passed to then come home and find "the one" 15 miles from home! The second was flying to Southampton and after viewing finding our flight home cancelled and being stuck there overnight. In that instance a very astute vet kindly did some detective work to uncover the sellers multiple lies! I think the right one will find you one way or another and be a lucky horse to have you as their owner Michen.

Thank you!!! I suppose the flight doesn’t count as my total flight time is only an extra hour because I was that side of the USA anyway 🤣

Indy

Visit site
I travelled from Doncaster to Swindon for Herbie 34 years ago. Considering he's basically a gypsy cob I'm sure in hindsight I could have found something similar a bit closer to home. He's still with me, gone through thick and thin and too many rubbish boyfriends I care to remember about. One of the best things I've ever done.