Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
It just blows my brain to think that a horse that can't be ridden can still do things like that. Not sure any of the sound horses I have had in the past would have been capable of it. He really is a one off.
Crazy isn’t it! Ataxia shows at the walk, apparently that’s why they don’t even need to trot horses up to assess them for neuro stuff. He never makes a mistake with his foot work when he’s galloping or leaping around but you may see the odd tiny thing at a walk.

Seems to work for him as he’s a horse whose always cantered everywhere anyway and he hasn’t stopped that in retirement 🤣

Michen

Visit site
Damn, just rode a horse that I REALLY enjoyed. Tennessee walker x QH. 15.1hh fiery little mare. Spooky, hot, game. Not for sale!

I’ll need to see if the Morgan has the potential to be the buzzy ride I like I suspect he may not be. Not sure how I’ll tell when he’s never hacked and just briefly been started in the arena. IMG_2068.jpeg

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
I did say that Saddlebred or TWH crosses could be right up your street!

Some Morgans can be hot as hot things, while others are so laidback they’re horizontal. Depends on the lines.

Michen

Visit site
I did say that Saddlebred or TWH crosses could be right up your street!

Some Morgans can be hot as hot things, while others are so laidback they’re horizontal. Depends on the lines.
Well this one is apparently not the laid back type but doesn’t sound particularly hot either so goodness knows lol.

5 year old boggle when not exploding could feel really dull in the arena so I’m just not sure how I’ll know what kinda ride this Morgan could be.

I need the kind of horse that wants to be in front. That whips the ass off a warmblood on a trail ride. That buzzes around life like I do.

I had Basil, a Connemara, who started out dull and became a cracker because I fittened him up to the max and did fun stuff and made him love life. So I’m not sure how much is a horses natural way of going or what you do with him. I remember him being SO boring when I first rode him! Then he was… a bit like Boggle but less mental lol.

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think they often are what you make them. Especially youngsters. Obviously they have their own personalities, but I think with your training and your own personality, you can bring out or suppress different sides of theirs.

Like for example, Hermosa is very sensitive and responsive, and I think she could be very very hot and sharp if that was something you wanted. It isn't, in my case, and she has this other side to her that's like, "Dude, take a beat," and that's what a lot of my work with her has developed 'cause I like that. I like ambling slowly along a trail and stopping for a beer. She also wasn't born as the world's most confident pony, due to her mum's temperament, so I think she could have wound up spooky in a bad way if you didn't calmly and carefully develop her confidence. At the same time, she's smart and likes to think and tune in to you, so you definitely had an opportunity to produce her as a confident horse, even if she wouldn't be the first to sacrifice herself to the lion at the waterhole in the wild.

If you owned her, you could easily develop the sharp side of her. I haven't 'cause I get annoyed by horses who want to go faster than I can be arsed at any given moment.

Unlike her brother (Fin is what he is), she will happily lead a trail ride, but if some other horse is desperate to be in front, she's happy to sit in the back seat. The only thing that pisses her off are horses who act like a*rsehole Audi drivers and tailgate. She's like, "If you want to be in front so bad, just f*cking go." I can't complain. My old horse hated being in the back and would pull your arms off. I could be tail end charlie if I needed to -- and sometimes you do -- but I'd swear a lot. Hermosa will happily go wherever.

Michen

Visit site
Hmmm it’s tough. I loved the mare I rode today and looked at the fancy expensive warmbloods that were ambling along and thought no definitely not ever could I be happy on that 🤣

Boggle really is just my perfect match but I think that was luck because he is what he is not because I made him. Whereas Basil maybe I turned him into a hot head by convincing him life was awesome. IDK.

Will go look this Morgan in the eyes and ask him if he wants to join the crazy clan and see what he says 🤣

Ahrena

Visit site
You have a hot seat, you’ll be fine 🤪
I do think the forward thing is tricky to gauge with a baby. A month or two ago, I’d of said (and I think I did!), Nutmeg wouldn’t be your cup of tea as she’s a bit backwards. Over the last couple of weeks that seems to have done a U turn and she’s powering everywhere.

gallopingby

Visit site
The jockey and their way of riding has obviously much to do with the way horses turn out, l have friends who definitely have ‘electric’ seats and can turn the quietest horse into a brake less creature!.
It’s difficult to know how they’ll turn out, when l was complaining about one of my mine, who’d been ridden by friends under recently, it was pointed out that my other well schooled horse went the way she did because l’d made her the way she was. Possibly an instant photographic attraction is going to be the way to go. I look at lots of horses but find only a few have an instant ‘whoa’ factor.

Michen

Visit site
You have a hot seat, you’ll be fine 🤪
I do think the forward thing is tricky to gauge with a baby. A month or two ago, I’d of said (and I think I did!), Nutmeg wouldn’t be your cup of tea as she’s a bit backwards. Over the last couple of weeks that seems to have done a U turn and she’s powering everywhere.

Never managed to hot up Bear really though!

Hmmm it's a risk buying a youngster that could be anything when you like a rather specific type of ride. That said it would be nice to ride something that doesn't give me a stitch out hacking I suppose.

YourValentine

Visit site
I think you can tell a bit with a youngster. Take him for a walk in hand, does he plod along showing no real interest? Look around and maybe be a bit 'looky'? Stand and stare at the horizon? I always look for a horse that's constantly checking out what's happening. They may not be a buzzy Bog but they should at have a bit of something about them.

As others have said nurture definitely plays a role. If you do lots of varied and fun things and not just the same old rota it makes them interested and enthusiastic about life.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think you can definitely tell if a horse will be buzzy Arabi always marched everywhere looking interested and never napped or refused to go anywhere even at 2 years old.

His like it now at 20 and always has been he was a leaping snorting loony today in the school, his had 2 weeks off as he had a hole in his hoof and was sensitive on it, he couldn't get down the track quick enough then just trotted off as soon as his feet touched the school.

I was going to just tack him up and go on the stubble so bloody glad I didn't 🤣🤣 it would have blown his brain.

palo1

Visit site
Never managed to hot up Bear really though!

Hmmm it's a risk buying a youngster that could be anything when you like a rather specific type of ride. That said it would be nice to ride something that doesn't give me a stitch out hacking I suppose.
There are signs of character in a youngster, once you have checked they have a fab walk and canter (a good walk usually indicates potential for a good gallop - very important 😆). You can check for boldness/curiosity and for their interest in you (or otherwise!) I was looking at youngsters in a group when one young mare came at me on her hind legs. Breeder assured me this was unusual but I took the view that she either didn't like the look of me one bit, or that I might be a fun thing to play with. She was very smart but I declined her! I didn't want that to be our first interaction, simple.

When you put your hands on a young horse, how do they respond or feel?
I like to see curiosity/forwardness on a walk in hand, rather than backwardness or forwards with style and a bit of yee-ha!! if loose schooled/run in an arena There is quite a lot you can check out but obviously it's just character and potential when they are young. The most important thing is for them to make you want to find out more about them - that might come from their eye, attitude to something or the way they hold themselves. You just know it when you find it.

Ahrena

Visit site
I just meant that they can and do change.
My previous youngster hacked happily alone from day 1 and was as forward as they come most of the time.

Current mare started very backwards and nappy as hell but things have clicked and she is keen and marching everywhere now, including in new situations and is right fun.

I think when you meet him, you will get a feel for him and whether he’s right for you. That may be right ‘for now’ or right ‘forever’ but if he’s ’right’ for you, you will love him regardless of if he’s the same buzzy type or not. Take Squirrel for example - everything I never wanted but I adore the bones off him and I had the time of my life.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I recently bought a horse that was everything I never wanted. He is the wrong age, wrong colour, wrong size, wrong breeding but I love him. I'd driven a long way to try a couple of others but they just didn't excite me in the flesh and less so when I rode them. I think i'm trying to say, don't discount the Morgan if he isn't exactly what you think you want. Stay open to new possibilities, he might be what you need.

asmp

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I’m quite nervous. Mainly as my friends are driving me and it’s a 6 hour round trip from Calgary, and I’ll feel bad if it’s pointless. I did say I’d rent a car etc and drive myself but they want to.

I will be buying a top notch lunch tho!
A three hour trip each way is probably nothing to them! (Having done a driving holiday in Canada last year)

Michen

Visit site
Hehe true that!

You can’t really see on here but meanwhile Bog has some dapples coming through, usually he gets them in spring not autumn. He was also having a good itch without his fly sheet and I saw no pain moments.

And he is trotting or cantering everywhere just because. I’ve been cleaning everywhere and starting to sort things for winter. I hung a load of eventing photos in the tack room, maybe they will make me sad but whilst Bog is still here I think it’s nice to have them to look at 😊
IMG_2094.png
IMG_2081.jpegIMG_2085.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
They are a pretty long lived, late maturing breed & if he hasn't done much then no real worry, I'd think & deffo better than many miles on a young horse.

True! I guess I just get suspicious because I wonder why he hadn't done more sooner, but he does look like a late maturing type and he's bum high ATM.

Excited to meet him!

palo1

Visit site
True! I guess I just get suspicious because I wonder why he hadn't done more sooner, but he does look like a late maturing type and he's bum high ATM.

Excited to meet him!
Both Bog and your tack room look fabulous! 😍 I think you and Boggle should have the eventing pics up and really enjoy remembering all those amazing times.

Morganfan

Visit site
I have a 19 year old Morgan in Australia. I've had him from a just started 3 year old. He has always been a really sensible horse. I am an older rider (nearly 70) he certainly looks after me out on the trail. BUT, he has also done 80 Eventing with my Granddaugter and won a number of rugs with her in Eventing, Dressage and Showjumping. He is the most versatile horse I have ever come across. All my Granddaughters instructors have told her he is a unicorn. He is only 15.1 hh and has now finished eventing as he did an annular ligament 18 months ago. He's now fully recovered but I've decided only hacking and a bit of dressage as I want him around for a lot more years. My daughter also rides him out and for he he has pizzaz, but for me he just plods at my level. I hope the viewing goes well Michen, I love my Morgan.