Boggle- USA bound!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
He looks a lovely sort, such a shame he has been rushed but its a good start if he could trust and settle with you in such a short session.
Look forward to hearing about the next adventures

Caol Ila

Visit site
Which is funny cos I’ve been busy telling @CanteringCarrot and @Caol Ila I don’t want anything Iberian. But I did ride lots of them in Portugal when working on a stud farm so I’m not saying that having never sat on one! They are fabulous horses but I think I like them a little lighter.
What do you mean by lighter? Are they not the lightest things? Hermosa is indeed the lightest thing I’ve ridden, and that’s n=1 and with a complete punter training her. I am sure @Cortez could do amazing things with her.

I’ve ridden some Connies and they feel more like Fin.

Michen

Visit site
What do you mean by lighter? Are they not the lightest things? Hermosa is indeed the lightest thing I’ve ridden, and that’s n=1 and with a complete punter training her. I am sure @Cortez could do amazing things with her.

I’ve ridden some Connies and they feel more like Fin.
Bar the one that bucked me off a lot the Lusitanos I rode were really stocky but that could have been specific to the kind they were breeding.

The grey was a huge stallion and the bay a smaller more dainty one but most of what they had was more like the grey.

Obviously there are always huge variations on a breed. I liked them a lot but not hankering after one at the moment. Could be different if I saw the right one.

Ignore my horrid position and how I’m riding the poor thing. A bad moment!

IMG_2188.jpegIMG_2190.jpegIMG_2189.jpeg

Caol Ila

Visit site
My experience with PSLs or PREs in Portugal and Spain is precisely zero. My experience with stallions is less than that.

What I can say is that when Hermosa isn't questioning whether the school is stupid and boring in the first place (we all have these questions 'cause it is both those things), you can steer her around it with your mind. In the bosal... as you know, that's all she goes in. Nothing is as light as she is when she's playing ball and on form (or maybe I am). On hacks, I always steer and stop with my mind because she doesn't think it's boring. I can do transitions with telepathy. I'm like a f*ckin Time Lord. I have never found lightness like that in a horse, and like I said, I am not Buck Brannaman -- very, very far from that -- so she could be incredible with someone who was.

An Iberian can be the lightest horse in the world. I've seen some nice ones in the US on Dream Horse, for not stupid money. If the Morgan doesn't pass a vet, I think it could be a useful rabbit hole for you.

Michen

Visit site
My experience with PSLs or PREs in Portugal and Spain is precisely zero. My experience with stallions is less than that.

What I can say is that when Hermosa isn't questioning whether the school is stupid and boring in the first place (we all have these questions 'cause it is both those things), you can steer her around it with your mind. In the bosal... as you know, that's all she goes in. Nothing is as light as she is when she's playing ball and on form (or maybe I am). On hacks, I always steer and stop with my mind because she doesn't think it's boring. I can do transitions with telepathy. I'm like a f*ckin Time Lord. I have never found lightness like that in a horse, and like I said, I am not Buck Brannaman -- very, very far from that -- so she could be incredible with someone who was.

An Iberian can be the lightest horse in the world. I've seen some nice ones in the US on Dream Horse, for not stupid money. If the Morgan doesn't pass a vet, I think it could be a useful rabbit hole for you.

I think I’m meaning something different though, I'm meaning a lighter build. I know some are fine- yours and CCs certainly look finer than the Lusitanos I rode.

I’m not ruling one out, just not specifically looking for one.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine is also a f*cking giant 🤣 spent everything he had growing upwards, apparently. He is a bit more "sporty" than some others, including the other one at the yard. Just variation amongst bloodlines.

I love Iberian horses. I cannot praise them enough, and I think you could get along with the right one, but it'd have to be a certain type, I think.

I do think Morgans as a breed are a good type for you to persue. I'm hoping this one vets well enough. Such a minefield out there. I think with time and the right approach, he might be a cool dude.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I realise that upthread I said I'd like you to buy something that will hold your hand and say 'lets go', but I do also understand that feeling of it potentially just being the right one, even if it may not seem perfect on the face of things. It's how I ended up with an unbacked rising 3yo, from Facebook, unseen, after having had a break for a couple of years and being super rusty (and not having backed one truly on my own, ever). And to be honest, no matter how mental that decision sounds, I don't regret a thing. So I hope that Jack sails though his vetting, and you find exactly the same joy I have!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m a little distracted now. Weirdly in time for the other thread that talks about it I came back to find hollows above bogs eyes very puffy. Raised pulses and one hot foot. Trotted up great on concrete. I removed him immediately from the grass and soaked hay which he’s furious about as he hates it soaked

I always said if he got lami he got lami and I wouldn’t restrict his life in any way when it’s quality over quantity. But I can hardly watch him walk right into it can I?

Urgh he’s got so close to the end of summer just another four weeks and that grass will be truly dead. My field looks dead but clearly isn’t.

I can’t decide whether to do some 20 min walks with him, I suspect he will get lit up enough that he will burn plenty of calories but equally not great for him to be holding his neck in the fiery way he does and piaffing about. He won’t do it calmly!

He does self exercise a lot but clearly not enough.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If his sound I would do a bit of exercise it won't do any harm.

On the few occasions Louis got slightly footy I kept him in for 5 days on soaked hay and within 3 days he was comfortable again, I would do ground work and a bit if lunging before gradually turning out.

I don't lunge in small circles I run around the arena.

Michen

Visit site
If his sound I would do a bit of exercise it won't do any harm.

On the few occasions Louis got slightly footy I kept him in for 5 days on soaked hay and within 3 days he was comfortable again, I would do ground work and a bit if lunging before gradually turning out.

I don't lunge in small circles I run around the arena.

Thank you. He’s definitely not footy yet. He’s still got his big run to move around in so it’s not like true box rest.

I’ll get those feet cold and see about setting up a track. If Jack comes I’ll want them seperate for a bit anyway so Jack could have the middle and it could work well. I don’t want bog wrestling with a young thing!

Fraggle2

Visit site
Fingers crossed it's just a bit of nothing. And if it is something we all know you'll do what is best for bog. You know him best. 🙃
See if there's any change in a few days.

redmarius

New User
Visit site
Thank you very much! I’m just taking it day by day with Boggle at the moment.

Basil is all over my tack room at the barn, and in the USA in general with photos. 8 years on I’ve never forgotten him and it was so awful to lose him to that broken leg, but he sent me Bog so I guess it all works out in the end.

I hope your move went ok!!

Basil was such a lovely boy, I think I stopped being as active right around the time you picked Bog up!

The move has been hectic. Moved over and stayed in hostels with no apartment, got an apartment, need to send deposit. invoice for deposit + rent sent on the Thursday with move in being monday and they hadn’t told us rent for September before than as September rent is pro rata as can’t move in September first. one of new housemates has transferred money to me for the deposit to send it all together, bank put a hold on it, sorted it yesterday but still no money that needs to be in letting agents bank account tomorrow! and had loaner let me down with my horse back in Ireland, so now have to find something for her whilst I’m abroad and having lots of interest from people who seem to want a schoolmaster to jump whilst she is priced and advertised as not a schoolmaster and not an easy horse to jump. I know I’ll find something, but I have no time as gave notice at where she is atm due to the loaner saying they’d take her and giving me a rough date. I’m debating if I should just bring her to The Netherlands and find a way to afford it later (she also likes continental European riders and doesn’t do her antics with them so maybe it won’t be the worst thing)

also have seen the latest Bog update - hoping it’s an abscess and something easily treated rather than lami.

With my old boy, when he retired I always said if anything happened that needed a lot of treatment that was it, then right when he was looking really good, he potentially fractured his pelvis and I just couldn’t do it. He was never 100% right after that but very happy to annoy his field buddies so I was in a similar position, taking it day by day. He went on for another 4 years still being a terror and trying to mount mares!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you. He’s definitely not footy yet. He’s still got his big run to move around in so it’s not like true box rest.

I’ll get those feet cold and see about setting up a track. If Jack comes I’ll want them seperate for a bit anyway so Jack could have the middle and it could work well. I don’t want bog wrestling with a young thing!
Sometimes one can be warmer I find Louis gets a stronger pulse in one front compared to the other.

But as someone else has said it could be a bruise or abscess.

Michen

Visit site
Most of the time I’m accepting of what’s happened to Boggle but sometimes I have to just go sit in the pasture and cry with my face in my hands. It’s so, so unfair that a horse like this can no longer work. He just loved being out and about more than anything.

I don’t know if he should be doing in hand walks but I figured a 20 round trip min walk to the lake would be good for him when he’s not getting field access. He hasn’t left the barn since April when he arrived and he was thrilled!

The Bog strut.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Most of the time I’m accepting of what’s happened to Boggle but sometimes I have to just go sit in the pasture and cry with my face in my hands. It’s so, so unfair that a horse like this can no longer work. He just loved being out and about more than anything.

I don’t know if he should be doing in hand walks but I figured a 20 round trip min walk to the lake would be good for him when he’s not getting field access. He hasn’t left the barn since April when he arrived and he was thrilled!

The Bog strut.

He is just stunning. And that scenery!

Michen

Visit site
He has a zest for life that I’ve never seen in another human, horse or dog 😂

This video was at the end, the first ten mins were spent squeaking and bucking and pulling my arms out. Not staying on the gravelly verge like I wanted with a shod, ataxic horse.

No ataxia signs today that’s for sure!

JGC

Visit site
I think the pleasure he's getting from that means that it's the right decision, whatever would be the right thing to do with his ataxia, if I am making sense?

Fingers crossed for the vetting for Jack - he has a nice face (and I have no sense when it comes to horses and basically just by them cause I like their face ...)

SEL

Visit site

The Bog strut.

I take the Appy out in hand a few times a week and also play with her in the field - she's intelligent (& food orientated!) and likes games, poles etc.

Why not walk Bog out? If something awful happens then I know you'll kick yourself but he's as likely to self harm in the field galloping round like he pays his own vet bills

Michen

Visit site
I may be disappointing you all on the Morgan guys.. I noticed him occasionally resting his left hind but I was obviously distracted with everything going on with him. Just found photos from him at the in hand show from the week before and where he’s stood up he’s resting it like this. It doesn’t look like a moment in time when he was moving around type thing, he looks relaxed in the photo and stood up.

I feel like I’ve learned over the years that if you see something suspicious it usually means there is something going on and not just paranoia! Not sure whether to proceed with the vetting and just widen the x rays from back to hocks, stifle, fetlocks. But seems almost silly to vet a horse where you are expecting to find a problem? That said the vetting isn’t mega money even with a bunch of additional x rays. But it wouldn’t rule out an SI problem or similar.

Of course it could just be a stone bruise 🤷‍♀️ Bog as a baby had his right hind resting like that and it was seedy toe that needed a big resection.

IMG_2262.jpeg

Last edited: