Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
She’s not. I’m here now. There are lots of tears and upset and it’s not just mine.

Everyone here is so invested in him.

I knew there was a reason that neck was flicking beyond it being arthritis. It started just after he had that fall, which was totally my fault because I put the non studded hoof boots on him as the snow was mostly gone.

I don’t even know how I’m going to cope with this I just can’t.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I knew there was a reason that neck was flicking beyond it being arthritis. It started just after he had that fall, which was totally my fault because I put the non studded hoof boots on him as the snow was mostly gone.

I don’t even know how I’m going to cope with this I just can’t.

Please stop giving yourself a hard time.

limestonelil

Visit site
Fingers crossed and good vibes for you both Michen. (I'd thought it was going to be another beautiful photo of Bog in fantastic scenery.) Chin up x

Northern Hare

Visit site
I honestly feel like I’m going to pass out with how overwhelmed I feel right now. This is so much worse than the pneumonia, I don’t know why or how but it is.

The thought of having to have Boggle pts makes me want to throw up.
Hold on in there, we're all sincerely hoping that it doesn't come to that. Boggle is a really tough cookie and he'll do his utmost to fight back from this. 🤞

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Hm. So do you just see if symptoms improve or how it goes over the next days then? Could it be just a tweak or irritation of something?

I really hate this for you. So much.

Michen

Visit site
I think I’d probably get him scanned pretty quick unless he’s significantly improved tomorrow.

He’d have to go to CSU. Unless I do a mylogram over CT and I wasn’t concentrating enough when they explained the difference.

The alternative is to pump him full of steroids and risk laminitis but for his sake, I feel like it’s better to know rather than put him through potentially pointless treatment.

I can’t believe this is happening.

Michen

Visit site
I don’t want him to suffer if it’s hopeless and there’s something awful I don’t want him spending days or weeks in the hospital 💔

Caol Ila

Visit site
Neither can any of us. We're all with you.

I think I would want to know too, though the $$$$$$ aspect is obviously a consideration. But I would still want to know. Need to know.

So long as he can make the trip (two hours?), CSU would also be another set of eyes on him. Some of the best in the country. Your vets sound amazing, but for weird stuff, fresh eyes at a big university hospital are not a bad thing.

Last edited:

View

Visit site
Oh Michen, I am so sorry you are going through this.

Don’t beat yourself up. It is NOT your fault, but would whoever is up there please give you a break. I’d also be inclined to do the scan quickly.

More positive vibes for you both here.

Michen

Visit site
Of course what I hadn’t considered is the GA risk with a grade 3/5 ataxic horse. That in itself is a huge risk.

There is no easy road is there 😞

I think he’d be ok with the journey I’d travel him loose he could lay down if he needed.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I assume the vets have considered that risk, though, if they're suggesting the CT as an option. It must be as manageable as anything with horses and GA is.

If you decide to go ahead with it, is it possible to have that conversation with the vets at the uni? Get the views of the people who do this every day on many unwell horses.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Neither can any of us. We're all with you.

I think I would want to know too, though the $$$$$$ aspect is obviously a consideration. But I would still want to know. Need to know.

So long as he can make the trip (two hours?), CSU would also be another set of eyes on him. Some of the best in the country. Your vets sound amazing, but for weird stuff, fresh eyes at a big university hospital are not a bad thing.

Good points here.

Michen

Visit site
I assume the vets have considered that risk, though, if they're suggesting the CT as an option. It must be as manageable as anything with horses and GA is.

If you decide to go ahead with it, is it possible to have that conversation with the vets at the uni? Get the views of the people who do this every day on many unwell horses.

Yes I think my vet has good contacts there and will set up some communication. We could try and do it without the GA but obviously not east to keep a wobbly horse still enough under sedation, she thinks unlikely to be possible.

Michen

Visit site
I don’t know now I’m thinking we just dose him up with steroids and I take him home and if it doesn’t work at least he’s in a happy comfortable place rather than hospital.

F*** there is no right answer. My friend vet (not treating vet) reckons CT is in the region of 15k.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
There is no right answer, but no matter what we'll be here to support you in any way that we can 💜

Arming yourself with as much info as possible may help you make a decision, so reaching out to CSU isn't a terrible idea. Even if you don't ultimately go through with anything there/go to them.

I think that everyone sees how much you've done for Boggle and how devoted you are. I'm still hoping for the best possible outcome, and feel horrible that you're even in this situation.