Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
The vet clinic was on the way home so had to pop in.

I’m not going to hold my breath and I can’t tell you what it is but I feel like he looks better in the stable somehow. Less wobbly when he’s crossing his legs over to turn maybe.. I don’t know it’s subtle but something feels different.

He is VERY chirpy!

Neuro exam this morning.

6A52947B-6A78-4AD1-92EE-8D0D64D082B5.jpeg

Ceriann

Visit site
You know him and you think he’s improved. Bank that. The barn sounds a great option for him to recover generally so moving forwards in a positive way. I don’t know how you’re doing it all but his brightness is there in photos never mind in person.

Michen

Visit site
Thank you. Guys shall I just tell my current barn I'll be moving him in two weeks and see if that can be my notice? There's a horse in Holland that's about to make it's way over here and someone needs a stable, so it could be a very quick/easy swap and then I don't need to worry about any notice (I assume- she said she'd be flexible but if this horse can't come here it'll probably go somewhere else, then I'd probably need some sort of notice albiet not 60 days).

Even if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next few weeks, I still can't help but feel the other barn will be better in many ways for him, for this winter?

I'm so sad at the thought of leaving my current barn, it's my support network and I adore everyone there.. it's making me feel very wobbly to have to walk away from that but I'm trying to put my own emotions aside and think clearly about what's best for Boggle and at the moment it feels like there's a really easy, clear exit strategy.

meleeka

Visit site
Thank you. Guys shall I just tell my current barn I'll be moving him in two weeks and see if that can be my notice? There's a horse in Holland that's about to make it's way over here and someone needs a stable, so it could be a very quick/easy swap and then I don't need to worry about any notice (I assume- she said she'd be flexible but if this horse can't come here it'll probably go somewhere else, then I'd probably need some sort of notice albiet not 60 days).

Even if he makes a miraculous recovery in the next few weeks, I still can't help but feel the other barn will be better in many ways for him, for this winter?

I'm so sad at the thought of leaving my current barn, it's my support network and I adore everyone there.. it's making me feel very wobbly to have to walk away from that but I'm trying to put my own emotions aside and think clearly about what's best for Boggle and at the moment it feels like there's a really easy, clear exit strategy.

It sounds like it could be advantageous to the YO for you to go, sooner rather than later, so they may well be waive the notice period. It would be a bit cheeky to charge you 60 days if they can fill your stable immediately. I think I’d just hang on until he’s back, then speak to them about moving on.

teapot

Visit site
Oh look at him! Good job he's good looking.

Why not do a old fashioned pros and cons list for each?, and don't forget to include the pros for you as well, like the support network there is. Considering the experience he's taken you on, the support network for you, and in turn Bog, matters as much as what the fencing is between each paddock, and that's not being selfish either imho, or not putting him first. It matters as an aspect of yard life, with a horse that appears to want to turn you grey asap!

Michen

Visit site
It sounds like it could be advantageous to the YO for you to go, sooner rather than later, so they may well be waive the notice period. It would be a bit cheeky to charge you 60 days if they can fill your stable immediately. I think I’d just hang on until he’s back, then speak to them about moving on.

I think it would work perfectly for them, but I kind of need to tell them now if I want my stable to be filled with the horse I know wants one, if that makes sense? Otherwise that horse will have to go elsewhere as barn currently full until some horses go to Florida (4 of them leaving December)

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it would work perfectly for them, but I kind of need to tell them now if I want my stable to be filled with the horse I know wants one, if that makes sense? Otherwise that horse will have to go elsewhere as barn currently full until some horses go to Florida (4 of them leaving December)
So you can bring Bog back there when he’s better? In the spring?

Floofball

Visit site
Are you bringing him home today? Think I’d be waiting to see how/if he continues to improve (fingers crossed for a better neuro exam🤞🏻) but I’m a bit confused with the ‘training’ livery situation - if your going to have to move him anyway I’d probably be having the conversation with YO - the new yard does sound more suitable for him this winter.

Roller coaster indeed!!!! I only checked in on the thread a few days ago and couldn’t believe the turn of events - I’m checking in all the time now routing for you both - lots of virtual hugs and ice cream being sent your way.

meesha

Visit site
He really does look great, I think if you can sense a difference then there is one!! You know him best.

New yard short or long term seems to be a good option, even if it's only for a few months before you then return to old barn.

Fingers crossed the next exam will bring very good news !!

I really don't think you can rule out a full recovery!! He's done so well so far, and this is Boggle!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Oh crikey Michen, I feel like I’ve been on a rollercoaster reading this, so goodness knows how you must feel, particularly being so far away from home. You’re doing so well. You remind me of myself sometimes, you feel and get upset when things first happen, but then you get up, find your feet and start marching on again. You’ll be ok, you’ll get through this.

The new yard sounds like a good solution for Bog. Much as where you are has been amazing for you both over the last year, it’s not the right fit for you at the moment. They’ve been lovely with you. I’d go and have an open hearted talk with the YO. You both know that you have to move, so ask how would be best for them - would you going sooner rather than later help? Tell them how you’ve loved it there and felt so welcome- tell them what you’ve told us.

Michen

Visit site
Just spoke with the vets. He’s not improved on the neuro exam enough to drop a grade or anything but he has improved. She said that in itself is very comforting with any neuro type event.

She thinks I can be hopeful he will improve a grade and be perfectly ok as a field ornament, but that the chances of returning to ridden work are in all honesty very slim. And that helps my yard decision really, because it’s not a retired horse yard. So I may as well go sooner rather than later.

That’s heartbreaking but ok! I will give him the best retirement with whatever time he gets from here. And I know for absolute certainty he will enjoy retirement far more in Colorado with the sun on his back than rainy England (he truly hated the wet and mud). Or maybe he goes to another state for it. Either way I think he’s in the best country for it 😊

I hope he defies the odds once again but I’m not even going to think like that.

meesha

Visit site
That's great news, they haven't said he won't improve more and u know he's a fighter !! But in any case to hear he will improve enough to retire is fantastic news.

Hopefully you can sleep a bit better tonight x

Caol Ila

Visit site
I wish @BBP was still posting. She went through the mill and back with BBP, had to retire him young, but they still had (and have...? I don't know which of his nine lives he was on) a fulfilling relationship for many years. She did lots of liberty work with him.

I'm glad the vet is hopeful that he will improve enough to be a happy lawn ornament, but it's heartbreaking too. I think it's okay to be upset over losing your ridden relationship and at the same time, happy that he will still be around to terrorize people.

Michen

Visit site
I wish @BBP was still posting. She went through the mill and back with BBP, had to retire him young, but they still had (and have...? I don't know which of his nine lives he was on) a fulfilling relationship for many years. She did lots of liberty work with him.

I'm glad the vet is hopeful that he will improve enough to be a happy lawn ornament, but it's heartbreaking too. I think it's okay to be upset over losing your ridden relationship and at the same time, happy that he will still be around to terrorize people.

Yeah I guess I feel like I should just be grateful he is hopefully going to be able to live and I truly truly am (albeit not out of the woods yet).

I’ll grieve for the ridden thing another time but heck, we’ve had an amazing 7 years. He couldn’t have given me more.

SO1

Visit site
Keep the faith you thought he might have to be retired or PTS when he had the pneumonia. He made it through that.

You are still not sure what is causing the ataxia he is improving slowly so something is working. You never know you may still get to ride him again.

The retirement barn sounds great and you may well make new friends there.