Boggle- USA bound!

Michen

Visit site
The difference between these two horses 🤣 Bog storms into his new digs. Rolls 5 times in different spots. Checks out every inch of the space with his nose, trotting in and out of the run and stall and generally making it his.

Dusty stands frozen in the same spot for fifteen mins before he gets the courage to move!

Happy boys and so blissful to have them outside the door. Wonder how long before Bog works out I’ll hear him if he bangs.

IMG_9273.jpegIMG_9263.jpegIMG_9257.jpegIMG_9246.jpegIMG_9228.jpegIMG_9280.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Ooh, that looks lovely - enjoy having them on your doorstep! Dusty is looking lots better already 👌🏻

Ah I'm kind of disappointed he's not looking better than he is! I am loading him up with Vitamin E to try and help but he just still looks pretty rubbish in his coat, and hasn't built as much muscle as I'd have hoped. Though he's loosing his pot belly which is a plus.

Of course both horses were ridiculous when I took them each for a walk (within eye sight). Boggle the most, there was lots of fly bucking and squealing, but then squealing at poor Dusty for daring to come back in his run, too :D

I tried to ride and lead at the barn yesterday before I moved them and it did not go well, Dusty tried to kick Boggle, Boggle was slightly shocked as I don't think a horse has ever tried to kick him in his life. So doesn't seem likely that will be an option but maybe once they get to know eachother...

Luckily the runs overlook the outdoor and there's plenty of different surfaces and ground to walk Bog over everywhere. He is looking so good on his front legs, frankly he's far better on them than Dusty whose not neurologic...

IMG_9283.jpeg

asmp

Visit site
Ah I'm kind of disappointed he's not looking better than he is! I am loading him up with Vitamin E to try and help but he just still looks pretty rubbish in his coat, and hasn't built as much muscle as I'd have hoped. Though he's loosing his pot belly which is a plus.

Of course both horses were ridiculous when I took them each for a walk (within eye sight). Boggle the most, there was lots of fly bucking and squealing, but then squealing at poor Dusty for daring to come back in his run, too :D

I tried to ride and lead at the barn yesterday before I moved them and it did not go well, Dusty tried to kick Boggle, Boggle was slightly shocked as I don't think a horse has ever tried to kick him in his life. So doesn't seem likely that will be an option but maybe once they get to know eachother...

Luckily the runs overlook the outdoor and there's plenty of different surfaces and ground to walk Bog over everywhere. He is looking so good on his front legs, frankly he's far better on them than Dusty whose not neurologic...

View attachment 136823
What a view - lucky Bog!

YourValentine

Visit site
Admiring the lovely view and the trees, and was wondering about bushfires. Do properties have sprinkler set ups and large water tanks etc to defend against bushfires?

Or am I just paranoid after living in Aus 😅

Caol Ila

Visit site
Admiring the lovely view and the trees, and was wondering about bushfires. Do properties have sprinkler set ups and large water tanks etc to defend against bushfires?

Nah, you're not paranoid. Wildfires are a huge problem in CO. The fire department likes people who live in the mountains to do some fire mitigation things like cut down trees near the house, but if you get a large fire, you basically have to evacute yourself and your animals and kiss your house goodbye.

Michen

Visit site

as CL says. And evergreen, where Bog is, is the place most at risk of fire in Colorado. From pretty much now onwards the trailers all remain hitched up at all times.

We had a scare just the other week at the barn, there was a huge fire half a mile away (a house), on a windy night. We monitored and were ready to load the horses up if necessary.

If you can’t get them out, you let them go and hope.

So yes, it is worrying, but then so are a million other things with Boggle so what’s one more 🙈

YourValentine

Visit site
Do you have clear points/places you would evacuate to incase of a fire?

In Aus it was always the showground/sports field in the nearest large town as the rural fire service (RFS, brave/bonkers volunteers) would fall back to defend a town if saving rural properties was no longer feasible. Though in the last big bushfire near my parents (2020) if the wind hadn't changed they weren't sure they could save the town...

Rural properties, not on mains, also had to have a large rainwater tank with a fire hose hook up so the RFS could refill their bowsers as needed. Same with the right to access an dams/ponds on your property.
Is that a thing there?

Michen

Visit site
Do you have clear points/places you would evacuate to incase of a fire?

In Aus it was always the showground/sports field in the nearest large town as the rural fire service (RFS, brave/bonkers volunteers) would fall back to defend a town if saving rural properties was no longer feasible. Though in the last big bushfire near my parents (2020) if the wind hadn't changed they weren't sure they could save the town...

Rural properties, not on mains, also had to have a large rainwater tank with a fire hose hook up so the RFS could refill their bowsers as needed. Same with the right to access an dams/ponds on your property.
Is that a thing there?

No not really, just down the mountain asap! I guess it would depend entirely on where the fire is. Usually there’s a bunch of posts up with barns willing to take horses in, think our barn owner has a few back ups.

Honestly couldn’t tell you about the water situation, certainly not that I’m aware of. A lot of the properties here are wells.

Michen

Visit site
Icing a leg Colorado style! Not that it really needs it, just a tiny bit of filling left but no heat.

Argh.. Boggle is.. 95% perfect on his front feet? To the point that I’m not even sure if the odd less than perfect movement is even ataxia or just normal when a horse is walking over all kinds of uneven, varied footing. I’m walking him up and down and across all sorts of varied terrain here and different surfaces. He’s far, far more surefooted than Dusty. No boots on so they aren’t helping the proprioception.

I don’t want to hope, it’s so dangerous and always comes crashing down, but I’m honestly considering putting a saddle on him and just riding him for his walks instead of leading…

I probably need you guys to tell me not to be such an idiot and to remember he is in fact retired and extremely broken 🙈

IMG_9306.jpegIMG_9303.jpegIMG_9309.jpegIMG_9314.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
I think with Bog you can't make any assumptions. Judge the horse in front of you not what you 'think' he should be.

It’s hard. Obviously I value my safety and his. And I’m not sure how the added weight of a rider could affect things. I might start hand walking in the western saddle and see what that does 🤣

It’s also strange because a few weeks ago I was very worried, the ataxia seemed to worsen in front when turnout stopped, but suddenly it’s better than it ever was. I don’t know if it’s the hand walking and ability to hand walk that’s done it (because there’s been too much snow to really walk anywhere other than the indoor until now).

He is a mystery!

nutjob

Visit site
My wobbler has only exploded when I have been riding him. The first incident was extremely dangerous for both of us, the second time less so but I haven't got back on in 10 months. He hasn't shown anything like this without a rider and he's at home so I am around a lot. He has a bit of hind toe dragging in walk but trot and canter look normal. Recently his panniculus reflex has returned so I am going to do the other neuro tests and lunging on a small circle when the weather improves. If everything goes back to normal for mine (although I doubt it will) I will have a ct myelogram to find out if the spinal cord is being pinched before I think about getting back on.

I can't stress enough how dangerous my experience was, if you do get back on I strongly advise you to have someone around and to be in an enclose space where a bolting horse can't escape. I fell hard and had to be dragged out of the school to avoid being trampled and I feel lucky that the fencing contained mine and he did eventually stop.

Michen

Visit site
My wobbler has only exploded when I have been riding him. The first incident was extremely dangerous for both of us, the second time less so but I haven't got back on in 10 months. He hasn't shown anything like this without a rider and he's at home so I am around a lot. He has a bit of hind toe dragging in walk but trot and canter look normal. Recently his panniculus reflex has returned so I am going to do the other neuro tests and lunging on a small circle when the weather improves. If everything goes back to normal for mine (although I doubt it will) I will have a ct myelogram to find out if the spinal cord is being pinched before I think about getting back on.

I can't stress enough how dangerous my experience was, if you do get back on I strongly advise you to have someone around and to be in an enclose space where a bolting horse can't escape. I fell hard and had to be dragged out of the school to avoid being trampled and I feel lucky that the fencing contained mine and he did eventually stop.

Thank you that is good to know! Honestly I probably won’t, I guess I’m just thinking out loud the many thoughts that go through my head at any one time!

palo1

Visit site
Icing a leg Colorado style! Not that it really needs it, just a tiny bit of filling left but no heat.

Argh.. Boggle is.. 95% perfect on his front feet? To the point that I’m not even sure if the odd less than perfect movement is even ataxia or just normal when a horse is walking over all kinds of uneven, varied footing. I’m walking him up and down and across all sorts of varied terrain here and different surfaces. He’s far, far more surefooted than Dusty. No boots on so they aren’t helping the proprioception.

I don’t want to hope, it’s so dangerous and always comes crashing down, but I’m honestly considering putting a saddle on him and just riding him for his walks instead of leading…

I probably need you guys to tell me not to be such an idiot and to remember he is in fact retired and extremely broken 🙈

View attachment 136890View attachment 136891View attachment 136892View attachment 136893
You will know best what to do. Go steadily and who knows ? Tbh, I would try with a saddle first and then gently for a few minutes at a time on board, with no plan. I suspect Boggle might both enjoy it and benefit if it is going to be ok at all!!

Michen

Visit site
You will know best what to do. Go steadily and who knows ? Tbh, I would try with a saddle first and then gently for a few minutes at a time on board, with no plan. I suspect Boggle might both enjoy it and benefit if it is going to be ok at all!!

I guess I will see how the next couple of weeks goes.. as I increase his in hand work load a bit more with the ligament in mind. I don't know, it's hard because it's Boggle and he would try to jump around a BE100 xc course now if I asked him! But he's just looking and acting so... fit and well and up for it.

As we know with Bog though, he's not a hack on a loose rein kinda horse, and I am worried that his usual antics will result in a tense and subsequently sore neck if I put a bit in his mouth.

Here he is enjoying my 5th "trip" to the barn today, now getting 3 x 20 minute walks!

ETA I did just randomly find my english hackamore in a rug that I haven't used since I came to the states, must have thrown it in there when I left the UK... maybe that's an option. Odds on me surviving riding Boggle in a hackamore feel slim, though :D

IMG_9325.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Happy boys. Except Dusty ducked under the (electric) rope. Boggle went mental because Dusty was on the other side, and chaos ensued.

All calm now, I need Dusty to get a shock off that rope, I know it’s on as it got me!

And I need Bog not to think about jumping that wooden fence 🤣
IMG_9393.jpegIMG_9376.jpegIMG_9400.jpegIMG_9399.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I guess Dusty does look a bit better, still.. long way to go.

Feet trim today, they are long but we are being conservative as don’t want to take too much off the toe at once and make him sore whilst the back of his hoof is still so weak. Made that mistake before with a TB!

Ignore his stance, just a moment in time.

IMG_9369.jpegIMG_9364.jpegIMG_9359.jpeg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
At least Bog is being ok with him I know you couldn't turn him out with many horses.

I always found Arabi was better when he was kept with one other at home he just just accepted the other horse, on livery in herds he was a horror 😆

Michen

Visit site
At least Bog is being ok with him I know you couldn't turn him out with many horses.

I always found Arabi was better when he was kept with one other at home he just just accepted the other horse, on livery in herds he was a horror 😆

Bog is being unbelievably nice to him! I think because there’s not other horses around, exactly as you said. So he’s like damn you are my only option 🤣

It just makes me laugh how bossy and dominant Bog is, but so needy, if Dusty strays too far Bog immediately squeals and returns to him. Dusty on the other hand couldn’t care less where Bog is!

They’ve had three hours of mooching this AM and are now back in their runs as it’s all softening up and getting slippery. Bog rolled a grand total of 7 times 🤣

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Bog is being unbelievably nice to him! I think because there’s not other horses around, exactly as you said. So he’s like damn you are my only option 🤣

It just makes me laugh how bossy and dominant Bog is, but so needy, if Dusty strays too far Bog immediately squeals and returns to him. Dusty on the other hand couldn’t care less where Bog is!

They’ve had three hours of mooching this AM and are now back in their runs as it’s all softening up and getting slippery. Bog rolled a grand total of 7 times 🤣
Thats exactly like Arabi when I ride Louis I can hear him screaming the whole time and Louis isn't that bothered if I leave him behind, Arabi pushes Louis around the field all the time his marched around bless him.

Thats the thing once everything starts melting it gets slippy and horrible.