CDJ withdrawn from paris

Peglo

Visit site
Well I don’t think we can say she lost her temper. She deliberately smacked the horse in an attempt of what? training?

Maybe it’s not the worst case of cruelty but you can’t say that the horse wasn’t distressed by her actions and I’d never want my horses to be treated like that.
I’d never want to see any horse treated like that and that’s why the conversation is important.

We, as horse riders/owners do not condone or support this kind behaviour. I would hate for the public to think this is how we treat our horses.

indie1282

Visit site
It's this morning's program. It's the first news item, you have to restart the show and I haven't found a way to move the slider to the exact moment but it is the first item so you don't have to wait too long to see.

Thanks.

Yeah… that’s not a great video..

I think anyone would have trouble defending her actions tbh.

And that’s definitely not a one off practice

meleeka

Visit site
I hope the RSPCA are looking at this video and prosecute c d
There was a horse drive local to me and a video of someone whipping a horse much more severely than this. It was reported and they apparently visited the owner and gave him a leaflet on how to care for horses 🙄. I know they only like to act if there's media involved, but I think this is a little too high profile for them to get involved with.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This was no momentary loss of control, it was a cool calculated attempt by CDJ in a training session to get the horse to get more jump in the canter by repeatedly whipping it hard on the bum.

The poor horse was a saint, and the rider kept their cool and the horse under control at the time.

If this happens in a filmed training session with a client, what on earth goes on behind the scenes when no cameras or members of the public are there.

I’m a former competitive dressage rider who trained under a List 1 judge, I now despise top level dressage.

scats

Visit site
God that’s a hard watch. The horse is bucking and kicking out and she still doesn’t see that as a reason to stop. Why would anyone consider that an appropriate way to train an animal?
And I really fail to see that she’s chosen to do that as a one off. I do wonder if more people who have had interactions with her training methods will come out the woodwork now.

I am horribly disappointed in her. We don’t deserve horses.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Wow!
Unexcusable.
She's not lost her rag she somehow thinks what's she's doing is acceptable in that moment. It's achieving nothing and the horse is clearly distressed.
That poor horse and poor young rider.
I feel this just shows a side to her and I don't personally feel it's a one off at all.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I’m wondering more and more whether we amateur riders are being sold a lie.
Being told by the top riders that you can train with rainbows and stardust and achieve top marks if you just try hard enough.
When in reality top marks are achieved with hands of steel and lots of spur.

I agree- but thats on the judges rewarding expression while ignoring tension. Dressage will die unless they change that. Maybe this is - finally the wake up call the sport needs.

rextherobber

Visit site
I do wonder though, if anyone else has had a similar experience with CDJ but has kept quiet up to now, they might be more willing to share any videos they have now that this complaint has come to light.
I’m not saying there ARE other instances, but this sort of thing is seen with other offences, one complaint gives others the confidence to come forward.
I’m wondering if that might happen here.
Did you see the post on the first few pages of this thread, apologies, cannot recall who posted it, about CDJ and CH at a clinic? CH tried to stop CDJ and she ignored him...and another that says a video of a horse they were interested in buying in a lesson with her had very tight draw reins. I think there will be many more similar, you don't have to hit a horse to abuse it.

Trickywooo

Visit site
Oh dear. Not good at all 😔 what a shame as she is someone who so many look up to and respect, myself included. I cried when she won gold at London 2012.
With that position comes great responsibility and whilst we all make mistakes, that is inexcusable behaviour.
This will likely mean the end of her career. Very sad that it has come to this.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
This will really cast a long shadow over our teams entry. How can they go and put their best foot forward now with this hanging over their heads. Carl has such a close association with Charlotte that I doubt he will now feel motivated and comfortable to step out onto a world stage.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
It’s sad and disappointing on so many levels, isn’t it? Sad for the horses who it seems can’t catch a break even from those we thought really cared about them and also sad for horse owners and riders who CDJ has let down. She is, arguably, the most famous equestrian in this country and now it’s on every media outlet that she whips horses to get her results.

I think this has the power the change how top level equestrian sport is viewed, perhaps forever, and I don’t think it’s a bad thing if it’s removed from the Olympics. Evidently humans can’t be trusted, as we keep proving! As others have said, if she thought this was acceptable in front of an audience and with someone else’s horse then it makes you wonder how she trains at home.

A sad time for our sport but I’m still glad it has been revealed, behaviour like this has to be stamped out as much as possible.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Oh dear. Not good at all 😔 what a shame as she is someone who so many look up to and respect, myself included. I cried when she won gold at London 2012.
With that position comes great responsibility and whilst we all make mistakes, that is inexcusable behaviour.
This will likely mean the end of her career. Very sad that it has come to this.

I can't, of course, speak for her but I can imagine that she will feel deeply embarrassed and ashamed. Within the space of a few hours, she's gone from the darling of British dressage to being thrust into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. I can't imagine that she'll want to compete again now.

ihatework

Visit site
Just seen the interview with Alice Plunkett on tv. She says this is definitely not how dressage horses are trained and this is a one off. Apparently horse welfare in the UK is at the forefront....I don't think so!! I really wish it was.

Well IMO Alice Plunkett needs to wind her neck in and stay out of making dumb comments like that. I think this is exactly how ‘some’ dressage horses are trained both in uk and throughout the world.

Sandstone1

Visit site
No wonders she pulled out of the Olympics, this is cold and calculated, she cant even blame the heat of the moment,
Thats what I think, Its not a horse " Playing up" she does not appear to have lost her temper, in parts of the video you can see her pulling her arm back to put force behind the strikes. This is my opinion only but I would say its a method shes used before.
I dare say many of us who have had horses and been around them will probably have seen worse over the years, seeing people try to get horse to load at local shows springs to mind.
However, that does not make it right. Someone in her position should know better. I do hope she is getting some help and support because this is huge. She was very obviously in the wrong but this is life changing for her. yes, shes very much in the wrong here and shows a horse sport very bad light.

meleeka

Visit site
Well IMO Alice Plunkett needs to wind her neck in and stay out of making dumb comments like that. I think this is exactly how ‘some’ dressage horses are trained both in uk and throughout the world.
She's obviously on a damage limitation exercise for BD. I'm just wondering what else is going to come out now? The blue tongue thing and tight draw reins probably doesn't mean a lot to non horsey people, but a rider whipping a horse is obvious abuse.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
It's only to appease the public who really have no idea what goes on. I must admit until all these stories started coming out about how the horses are trained , I really was unaware of it.