CDJ withdrawn from paris

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
That's a bit rude and unnecessarily provocative. I think Ditchjumper2 has explained her post several times , and I found it very easy to understand where she was coming from and the intention behind her post. I think you are either just being deliberately rude or perhaps just deliberately obtuse? :(
Thankyou Mrs J I appreciate that. It feels to me as if someone else is trying to stir the pot. I'm not 😁

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
Why the Olympics?? If they should be banned they should be banned everywhere!
Because it's expensive and inconvenient to put on, it's niche and elitist, not that many countries can field teams (the standard is lower than other equestrian high performance competitions) and because more people watch it accidentally because they're surrounded by Olympic coverage, the animal welfare aspect was already to the fore.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Why the Olympics?? If they should be banned they should be banned everywhere!

Because the IOC can make that decision for every Olympics to come. It's the most publicly visible aspect of horse sport for those three disciplines, and we've seen them act on the Pentathlon. Getting the FEI to effectively cancel itself is WAY more unlikely. However it being ditched from the Olympics, the pinnacle of so many sports, would be a hard wake up call for the FEI.

equinerebel

Visit site
The IOC are not an equestrian body. They don’t care particularly for equestrian sports and they’re becoming unpopular due to their expense, lack of diversity, and now, abuse.

The IOC can remove equestrian sports from their competition without it having anything to do with any other equestrian competition. I’m honestly surprised they hadn’t before this.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Are there any other Olympic sports where the competition is dropped down a level from the pinnacle of that sport to make it more accessible to more nations?

I’d be perfectly happy to see equestrian sports dropped from the Olympics, and the IOC only needed the slightest excuse to do just that.

FieldOrnaments

Visit site

Might be a couple of years out of date, but:-

Sponsored by: Roeckl, Flying Changes, Fairfax Saddles, Haygain, Sprenger, Fleck, Bloomfields HorseBoxes, Charles Owen, Saracen Horse Feeds, NAF, KBIS, Ridely, Le Mieux, Equine Lts, Jess Tog Photographer.
Thank you very much for that list.

Must admit I am surprised. I thought sponsorship was for up and coming riders to give them a boost, whilst getting brands exposure at the same time, not for people who have already made it as it were.

bonny

Visit site
Thank you very much for that list.

Must admit I am surprised. I thought sponsorship was for up and coming riders to give them a boost, whilst getting brands exposure at the same time, not for people who have already made it as it were.
Sponsors want exposure so the more high profile the athlete the better.

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
Are there any other Olympic sports where the competition is dropped down a level from the pinnacle of that sport to make it more accessible to more nations?

I’d be perfectly happy to see equestrian sports dropped from the Olympics, and the IOC only needed the slightest excuse to do just that.
Not that I know of but there are restrictions in other sports about who can represent a country qualification-wise for safety reasons (Eddie the Eagle for instance). Equestrian was dumbed down for safety and inclusion reasons afaik.

Nonjumper

Visit site
If the IOC did drop them would that be from the next Olympics?
That's certainly what's happened for the Pentathlon I believe. But it might depend on how far the next host has gone towards building the equestrian facilities. If they've basically not done anything other than worked out where it would go, then it could be dropped immediately.

Pedantic

Visit site
The video isn't pretty, and I don't condone animal abuse, but, just like the "selective" policing and "selective" law and order enforcement we have in the UK, we now have,"selective" outrage by the media, how many of those outraged are happily sat eating their halal slaughtered KFC or Big Mac, or there halal slaughtered supermarket meat, did they check the label, yea, write the numbers on a postage stamp, a lot of people's "outrage" is disillusioned perception of all horse owner riders being rich toffs, with a silver spoon up our a***s, a lot of the outrage is a jealously class issue, and drivers of old BMW's who can't afford a new one, who were held up for 30 seconds on the road by a couple of riders.

equinerebel

Visit site
The video isn't pretty, and I don't condone animal abuse, but, just like the "selective" policing and "selective" law and order enforcement we have in the UK, we now have,"selective" outrage by the media, how many of those outraged are happily sat eating their halal slaughtered KFC or Big Mac, or there halal slaughtered supermarket meat, did they check the label, yea, write the numbers on a postage stamp, a lot of people's "outrage" is disillusioned perception of all horse owner riders being rich toffs, with a silver spoon up our a***s, a lot of the outrage is a jealously class issue, and drivers of old BMW's who can't afford a new one, who were held up for 30 seconds on the road by a couple of riders.
I’m a vegetarian, I don’t own a BMW of any age, I do own a horse. Does that mean I can be justifiably outraged?

Belmont

Visit site
I know at the start she says ‘this is so s*** at whipping them hard’ but I’ve just listened the the following dialogue more closely (and haven’t seen it noted anywhere?!)

Rider: I don’t want to hurt him
CDJ: Huh?
R: I don’t want to hurt him
CDJ: It cracks, it doesn’t actually whip them

So was it just cracking, and not whipping the horse?! In which case, has this been blown beyond what it is?
Bottom line is it’s still a horrendous video and she put the rider at risk, so punishment is deserved but maybe it’s lesson learnt and don’t do it again. I’m conflicted.

teddy_

Visit site
I’ve felt like Carl was distancing himself from Charlotte for a while now. I was actually going to post about it but then didn’t cause I really don’t follow them all that much bar big events like this. Anyway.

As to horse riding being banned never happening in our life time.. well we no longer have circus animals, orca being bred in the USA, many zoos are phasing out larger animals. It can happen.
I think you’re comparing apples with oranges here. Whilst it goes without saying - abuse occurs; the wider equestrian industry cannot be likened to animals in a circus, large marine animals in small tanks or large animals in captivity, in zoos.

The relationship between man and horse is ancient.

I don’t think baseless doom and gloom is helpful.

Michen

Visit site
I know at the start she says ‘this is so s*** at whipping them hard’ but I’ve just listened the the following dialogue more closely (and haven’t seen it noted anywhere?!)

Rider: I don’t want to hurt him
CDJ: Huh?
R: I don’t want to hurt him
CDJ: It cracks, it doesn’t actually whip them

So was it just cracking, and not whipping the horse?! In which case, has this been blown beyond what it is?
Bottom line is it’s still a horrendous video and she put the rider at risk, so punishment is deserved but maybe it’s lesson learnt and don’t do it again. I’m conflicted.

The way the horse was reacting was not a "sound" reaction it was kicking out at what was clearly coming into contact with his legs.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sure, maybe she's a little "above" most of the others in terms of her "kindness profile" but they ALL plead they love the horse and, because they're locked in a system that has other priorities, they have failed to see that almost all of what they do is, to some level, unkind to the horse.

That is not what we are talking about, this is about repeatedly injecting horses to keep them sound, a literal epidemic of hocks, suspensories, SI, KS, remedial shoeing "just because". So we partake in a sport, and in order to do that we subject our horses to treatments again and again that they would almost certainly not need if they were bred and trained in a way that didn't simply serve the money of top sport.

Imagine if, in a couple of years time, we saw something showing work like this from her (it just stuck in my mind yesterday, there are probably much more applicable posts):

What a fabulous horse

EternalVetBills

Visit site
I'm glad this ridiculous nonsense was posted: it's been a great way of quickly culling those on my friends list who have liked it.

Very sadly, my instructor whom I have used frequently since I was twelve, is a stage 3 BHS instructor, and I always thought was great campaigner for horse welfare, has shared and liked the post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but she definitely will not be getting my business anymore.