CDJ withdrawn from paris

Lady Jane

Visit site
I hope all you have said 'I'm not surprised' can hand on heart say you have never had a angry moment with a horse and behaved out of character for you.
This is malicious timing by the'whistle blower' but bearing in mind the grief that people in the UK have given some of the Dutch riders they must be delighted with themselves.

I don't condone this sort of behaviour but what I see at some local and national shows makes me cringe - and some times it ignorance and pure bad riding because they can't ride any better, but that doesn't make it OK.

AWinter

Visit site
I don’t agree that the timing is malicious, I feel it is strategic to have maximum impact when the sport is most in the public eye, so the FEI can’t just brush it under the rug and we can hopefully start to see real change regarding the welfare of horses within the sport.

If you’re not out there abusing horses nothing to worry about is there.

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I hope all you have said 'I'm not surprised' can hand on heart say you have never had a angry moment with a horse and behaved out of character for you.
This is malicious timing by the'whistle blower' but bearing in mind the grief that people in the UK have given some of the Dutch riders they must be delighted with themselves.

I don't condone this sort of behaviour but what I see at some local and national shows makes me cringe - and some times it ignorance and pure bad riding because they can't ride any better, but that doesn't make it OK.
I think "people in the UK" have questioned more than just Dutch riders - the other Charlotte, for instance??

TPO

Visit site
Reporting all of the libelous comments.

What is it about things like this that makes people want to act like they're in the know when they don't know the first thing?

Every so often it's questioned why all the good, experienced and knowledgable posters have left HHO. Threads like this are why. Barely a voice of reason left.

I hope Carl's team go after HHO for hosting the libelous drivel being spouted by know nothings.

eahotson

Visit site

You have a point.However people at the top have a duty to set an example.Riding at lower levels can be lack of knowledge as the riders there haven't had the top riders excellent coaching and they may well have day jobs and ride in limited spare time.It can be cruel as well of course.

eahotson

Visit site
Reporting all of the libelous comments.

What is it about things like this that makes people want to act like they're in the know when they don't know the first thing?

Every so often it's questioned why all the good, experienced and knowledgable posters have left HHO. Threads like this are why. Barely a voice of reason left.

I hope Carl's team go after HHO for hosting the libelous drivel being spouted by know nothings.
They will have to go after the Telegraph as well.

Burnttoast

Visit site

This is why I have a problem with horse sport at all levels. The competitive element rarely brings out the best (most humane) in anyone, and while the riders at the top of their sport can make things look harmonious in public we're all aware of the pressures very often exerted behind the scenes (not to mention the biologically inappropriate husbandry); equally at the lower levels people may love their one horse and keep it in a very horse-friendly way (or they may not) but that frequently won't stop them trying to ride beyond their ability or succumbing to frustration in a competition (me included, back in the day).

Forum Admin Team

Forum Administrators
Visit site
This thread has been closed pending review.

Users who raise or continue this subject elsewhere may find their forum access restricted.

Several posts have been removed.

Please be circumspect when commenting. Users posting content that is considered to be problematic may have their access restricted.

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
The telegraph hasn't presented as fact that CH has witnessed, endorsed and turned a blind eye to anything.

There's this little thing known as facts.
By CH I assume you mean Carl Hester.I did not mention him in my post and no you are correct,neither did The Telegraph.

alibali

Visit site
Thank you FAT for allowing this thread to continue. I hope those commenting will stick to the known facts (of which there seems very few).

Suffice to say I don't care how famous and successful or how inexperienced someone is if they resort to force in their training or competition then they deserve to be held accountable. Regardless of how strategic or inconvenient the timing of their coming to light

lynz88

Visit site

I was about to write exactly this

You have a point.However people at the top have a duty to set an example.Riding at lower levels can be lack of knowledge as the riders there haven't had the top riders excellent coaching and they may well have day jobs and ride in limited spare time.It can be cruel as well of course.

Also agree with this but I also believe, at the end of the day, no matter who you are or what level you ride at, we are all HUMAN and sometimes emotions get the best of us. Is it right? No. But it happens. To everyone.

Of course not knowing the details of the video, it's all just speculation.

misst

Visit site
I have no idea what's in the video anymore than most. But I do know someone doesn't withdraw from a competition like this for no reason. I really hope it was a one off problem and I am sure CDJ isn't the worst culprit by far but sadly she is widely admired and held up as a great example. She certainly is a hard worker and usually comes across as a "nice" person on TV etc. I do feel sorry for anyone enduring this kind of scrutiny it must be almost unbearable. Unfortunately horses don't get given choices and the older I get the more disillusioned I become with horse sport. I have stopped enjoying flat racing, don't watch jump racing, dressage, I used to love but now feel uncomfortable a lot of the time. Showjumping I have felt for years uncomfortable a lot of the time and eventing, my favourite sport is also looking more and more wrong :-(. Maybe we should all just enjoy looking at them in the field :-( although I don't really believe this either...

NinjaPony

Visit site
Not going to speculate about the video content re CDJ but it’s notable that there are plenty of top riders with absolutely atrocious videos who still compete at the highest levels of the sport, to the shame of the sport. A reckoning is well overdue I fear and that means accepting that riders we look up to might be part of the problem.

ihatework

Visit site
Interesting timing. Does this mean an end to her career, effectively? There have been other complaints about other riders (OT, for example) and he’s still competing.

No I doubt it will be the end of her career, unless she gets so much hate that she chooses to end her career. She has taken British dressage to levels we could only have dreamed of 15 years ago - unfortunately the higher your pedestal the greater the fall. She will have a hell of a lot of support behind the scenes and I very much doubt she will loose any/many owners over this. Her visibility is huge and I feel sorry for her in one way (whilst not condoning anything), she is a product of the system 😔

Equi

Visit site
I’m going to take everything with a pinch of salt until I can watch the video myself. PR teams will do damage limitations regardless of what it actually shows. She didn’t have a choice as she can’t compete when it’s being investigated but we have to trust that the FEI will due diligence and release their own statement in time. Until then I’m neutral. Or possibly in denial.

eahotson

Visit site
I was about to write exactly this

Also agree with this but I also believe, at the end of the day, no matter who you are or what level you ride at, we are all HUMAN and sometimes emotions get the best of us. Is it right? No. But it happens. To everyone.

Of course not knowing the details of the video, it's all just speculation.
Agree and if say 90% of anyone's training and horsemanship is kind the odd slip under pressure can be forgiven.I just wonder about the reasons behind this video.The FEI know about concerns over animal welfare in sport and particularly the Olympics.They have not confirmed at the moment whether horse sport will be in the next Olympics.pics

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Very sad and shocked to read this.

I'll wait to watch the video before passing judgement but I can't *imagine* it's going to be pleasant watching given her statement and withdrawal.