CDJ withdrawn from paris

southerncomfort

Visit site
Karl Greenwood seeming to have gone off at the deep end with peak Caroline Flack-ing and even a bit of Godwin's Law in there!

ETA - when I mention CF, I am not minimising her situation but the way what happened to her gets weaponised to shut people up about difficult topics or to dodge valid criticism in the name of being kind. I do not support personal attacks on CDJ nor threats of any kind.

ETA2 - I also think he's stretching the use of 'as a psychologist...'

Yep. Bit disappointed in him if I'm honest.

Equi

Visit site
Coming from the other side of it…

If horses were not in the Olympics the general public would not have any idea what goes on or what can happen. It would just be “oh well we got that banned” and the horse world would just go back to being under a rock. I think it’s a good thing it has such a large platform..its the real way change can be driven.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've signed the petition to ban horse sports from the Olympics. I'm fed up of seeing photos of horses with flashes so tight they can hardly open their mouths, with their necks cranked in so much that it's a surprise they can breathe.

What pushed me over the edge is so many comments on Facebook from fellow equestrians such as the one above, so many comments berating 'happy hackers' as idiots when we're the ones with some basic knowledge of what a pain face looks like. My signature will probably achieve eff-all, but it's a virtual middle fingers to everyone who has written this kind of nonsense in defence of animal abuse in the past few days. I watched Saint Boy four years ago and clearly nothing has changed, doesn't matter what the discipline is, get horses out of the Olympics for good.

So well done you lot, that's one signature closer to a ban from a fellow Equestrian, I hope you're happy.

I signed too for similar reasons.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Has anyone written to the FEI?, or is anyone thinking about it?
I’m kind of of the opinion that if I feel that aggrieved about the situation, I should do something about it. And writing my thoughts to the FEI seems like the correct thing to do. However (as you can tell from my posts) I’m no wordsmith.
I have written, and written, and written so many times to the FEI, to individual members of the FEI, to judges training committees, welfare committees, people I know who know high-ups in national bodies, you name it. After anodyne response, to no response I gave up, many years ago now. I chose to just leave it all behind and go do something else.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I understand all the arguments about the fact that these sports horses are naturally really tense, and it’s really hard to ride tense horses at a really high level. I do really understand that it’s often (often, not always sadly) not the riders “fault” that the horse is tense.

But I think that if we enforced marks off for symptoms of tension, then tense horses would become less desirable rides. They’d become less sellable, and those lines of sports horses which tend towards being highly strung would become less valuable. We’d stop breeding from the horses that are known to produce very hot offspring.

There would be fewer inappropriate horses who don’t make top grade flowing down into amateur competition, and we’d have less reason to normalise tension throughout the levels. Or even to glorify it.

It might inadvertently penalise riders who are in an existing partnerships with tense horses, and owners with investments in those kind of horses. But I think it would be for the best.

ETA, I should link that to what I’ve been thinking about today which is, I wonder how much of the whipping of that horse in the video was to get that massive expression in movement that has become so popular. It didn’t look like she was trying to provoke the horse to move forward alone. She chased from behind into heavy contact, and then she hit the shoulder too, so it seemed like both pushing the horse both forward and back... so maybe it was motivated by seeking elevation in its paces that is so often deemed “expressive” these days. I’m still struggling with that video and what on earth it was trying to achieve tbh

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I understand all the arguments about the fact that these sports horses are naturally really tense, and it’s really hard to ride tense horses at a really high level. I do really understand that it’s often (often, not always sadly) not the riders “fault” that the horse is tense.

But I think that if we enforced marks off for symptoms of tension, then tense horses would become less desirable rides. They’d become less sellable, and those lines of sports horses which tend towards being highly strung would become less valuable. We’d stop breeding from the horses that are known to produce very hot offspring.

There would be fewer inappropriate horses who don’t make top grade flowing down into amateur competition, and we’d have less reason to normalise tension throughout the levels. Or even to glorify it.

It might inadvertently penalise riders who are in an existing partnerships with tense horses, and owners with investments in those kind of horses. But I think it would be for the best.

ETA, I should link that to what I’ve been thinking about today which is, I wonder how much of the whipping of that horse in the video was to get that massive expression in movement that has become so popular. It didn’t look like she was trying to provoke the horse to move forward alone. She chased from behind into heavy contact, and then she hit the shoulder too, so it seemed like both pushing the horse both forward and back... so maybe it was motivated by seeking elevation in its paces that is so often deemed “expressive” these days. I’m still struggling with that video and what on earth it was trying to achieve tbh
I agree with what your saying and why but i cant see it would be a popular route to take as, tense, sensitive horses and more likely to be expressive and responsive, more relaxed horses would potentially be more accurate and flowing, maybe they woukd just lack the wow factir for those that seek it though?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The problem is that tension creates brilliance, the super-flashy, over-the-top extravagance that has defined top level dressage competition for at least the last 20 years. So that's what wins, that's what everyone wants to do (win), and that's the kind of horse, the kind of training that we now have. It's wrong, and it's been wrong for a generation. The people who I admired when I was starting out, Reiner Klimke, Kyra Kirkland, etc., WOULD NOT win today.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I agree with what your saying and why but i cant see it would be a popular route to take as, tense, sensitive horses and more likely to be expressive and responsive, more relaxed horses would potentially be more accurate and flowing, maybe they woukd just lack the wow factir for those that seek it though?

I think / hope people would stop wanting it, if it didn’t win. So if we could mark tension down, then it would eventually become less popular.

Miss_Millie

Visit site

If horses were not in the Olympics the general public would not have any idea what goes on or what can happen. It would just be “oh well we got that banned” and the horse world would just go back to being under a rock. I think it’s a good thing it has such a large platform..its the real way change can be driven.

I get where you're coming from entirely, I'm just fed up of the endless suffering and ignorance in the industry. The governing body themselves truly don't give a damn.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
More accurate and flowing and showing harmony is what dressage should be and if the judges rewarded that way of going highly we wouldn’t be in this position. Valegro had good paces, equally both front and back but after he was rewarded so highly it seemed that the big movement in front was then what the judges liked. I never liked Totilas (not the horse himself) but his way of going but that seemed to wow everyone and then everything had spidery front legs. Charlotte then had Freestyle who everyone said was wonderful and didn’t like her way of going either. The German horse Dalera goes in a good outline and is mostly correct and we need more horses ridden like that. I can’t fault Carls riding and his horses always go well for him but he doesn’t get the sort of marks I think he deserves …

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've signed the petition to ban horse sports from the Olympics. I'm fed up of seeing photos of horses with flashes so tight they can hardly open their mouths, with their necks cranked in so much that it's a surprise they can breathe.

What pushed me over the edge is so many comments on Facebook from fellow equestrians such as the one above, so many comments berating 'happy hackers' as idiots when we're the ones with some basic knowledge of what a pain face looks like. My signature will probably achieve eff-all, but it's a virtual middle fingers to everyone who has written this kind of nonsense in defence of animal abuse in the past few days. I watched Saint Boy four years ago and clearly nothing has changed, doesn't matter what the discipline is, get horses out of the Olympics for good.

So well done you lot, that's one signature closer to a ban from a fellow Equestrian, I hope you're happy.
I am starting to feel similarly. It's so frustrating. I feel powerless. I do believe it is possible to enjoy horses and riding, even competitively, without abuse and with mutual respect. But I have so little influence.

I think that I will write to BD directly to ask them directly to clarify some of their statement. I will not be putting myself forward to volunteer at events if I cannot be confident there is a place I can take welfare concerns and for them to be taken seriously.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Whilst the discussion is broadening out somewhat and the wider topic of welfare in dressage is being looked at....Carl's horse has some form of remedial shoes on. I'm a barefooter, so I always have a keen eye on feet and as far as I'm concerned, remedial shoes are only ever used to address some form of lameness issue (pointlessly, as they don't solve the original issue and they create more on top but that's not the point of my comment). As far as I'm concerned, if you've got any kind of special shoes on, you've not got a fully sound horse.

tristars

Visit site
If you take a different route with riding, you end up in a different destination, it's a choice, do you want startled tension that ends in blue tongues and blood, or the true brilliance of a fully developed athlete that people enjoy watching because it can use the whole of its body softly without holding itself in distorted tension held in a grip of iron, the fei is responsible for the current trends and seem to have let things go over the edge and now they don't know what to do

honetpot

Visit site

They get a lot of sports funding, from different government pots,then there is sponsorship, and sales of branded goods.
Are you more likely to go a see a an Olympics rider and pay the ticket price?
How ever they spin it the average rider is only affected by the Olympics by what they buy, in or after the event. Its a like F1 unatainable for the real grass roots, you not only need to have talant, the 'right' horse but money. I would rather it went on swiming pools, skate parks and ice rinks.

I am really peed off with it all. I started being interest in dressage in 1974, I can remember going to Goodwood in about 1990, and wandering to the warm up area in front of Goodwood House, and there was pehaps a couple of other people and groom. I still have the score sheet.
Its become a monster with its commercial success, and I think the whole seemly innocuous dressage to music started it off.

Mightymax

Visit site
Surely, what it boils down to is the judging. If the judges are rewarding a certain type and way of going, then that is what the competitors will produce. It's all about fads and fashion.
IF the judges started to reward the more 'Old Fashioned' and possibly the more correct and classical outlines, then that will become the 'new' big thing! Simples!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Surely, what it boils down to is the judging. If the judges are rewarding a certain type and way of going, then that is what the competitors will produce. It's all about fads and fashion.
IF the judges started to reward the more 'Old Fashioned' and possibly the more correct and classical outlines, then that will become the 'new' big thing! Simples!
Exactly & completely this.

stormox

Visit site
I really do not understand those of you wanting to ban horse sports at the Olympics.
Why just the Olympics? How does that differ from the European Championships for example?
If you think using horses for sport is wrong, you should surely want all horse sport banned.
The Olympics aren't the only place uncomfortable horses are seen.

southerncomfort

Visit site
They took are tainted by modern dressage, especially since they've been run by a businessman and now a former bereiter. Lots of criticism from classical camps, though the horses have historically performed to ripe old ages.

Stw up to discuss the very worst rollkur they otherwise seem to hold up rather low standards and are quick to denounce "keyboard warriors".

Yep.

Like the ones that dared to mention studies showing that frothing at the mouth is actually caused by tension, not relaxation as previously thought. Pammy and her pals didn't like that and were incredibly rude and belittling.

Or the ones suggesting that double bridles be optional, not compulsory.

I'm afraid they are dinosaurs, desperately scared of any kind of change, and absolutely not the kind of people we want speaking for the us (or horses).

I'm Dun

Visit site
I really do not understand those of you wanting to ban horse sports at the Olympics.
Why just the Olympics? How does that differ from the European Championships for example?
If you think using horses for sport is wrong, you should surely want all horse sport banned.
The Olympics aren't the only place uncomfortable horses are se

Because theres a good likelihood it will happen. It might send a strong enough message to the FEI that they need to act ASAP.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Whilst the discussion is broadening out somewhat and the wider topic of welfare in dressage is being looked at....Carl's horse has some form of remedial shoes on. I'm a barefooter, so I always have a keen eye on feet and as far as I'm concerned, remedial shoes are only ever used to address some form of lameness issue (pointlessly, as they don't solve the original issue and they create more on top but that's not the point of my comment). As far as I'm concerned, if you've got any kind of special shoes on, you've not got a fully sound horse.
Where did you see that?

Ratface

Visit site
I love the idea of giving them all a native pony to do dressage on. I know of several Fells who do very well at dressage even without the extravagant movement of the warmbloods.
Remembering my Fell, I was thinking about what his response would have been to someone whacking him around the legs repeatedly like that. He was one who would fight back if too much pressure was put on him, apparently his sire was exactly the same. There would have been injuries. You know the saying: Ask a mare, tell a gelding, pray if it's a pony!
My Fell Pony mare would have decked anyone who didn't ask her politely to consider doing something other than what she already had in mind.
She was a spectacular jumping pony - bold over any country out hunting, successful at showjumping. Not impressed with Pony Club rallies. Too slow, darlings. Too slow.

SadKen

Visit site
Some basics as to how I think it could be improved.

1. Allow talking to your horse. I have NO idea why we aren’t allowed to talk. I talk to mine all the time. I want to use my voice. I want to tell her she’s doing a good job or give her encouragement. WHY can’t we? Voice instead of spurs and whip, especially at higher levels.

2. Tack. Simple snaffle. If it can’t be done in a snaffle get rid of the movement. Allow - even encourage people to go bitless. Never understood why less tack wasn’t acceptable.

3. Change the measurement of success so any sound horse could theoretically get to the highest level. That’s what’s always being pushed about dressage - that it’s good for all horses to do the scales of training. Money where their mouths are. And what about extra points for reins in one hand, commands which use voice, and back to losing marks for tail swishing/discomfort indicators?

A sea change is required. And it should be changes which help everyone to do dressage if they want to, regardless of their horse’s level of spideryness.

Skib

sites.google.com
I have NO idea why we aren’t allowed to talk.
They are not allowed to talk because dressage was to prepare a war horse. Talking to your horse on miitary service would give away your position, as it gave away Russian positions in WW2, or in earlier pitched battles the canon might be so loud that the horse would not hear the human voice - they needed to sound trumpets.
I talk all the time to my share horse, explaining to her that she has to do things in a certain way because that is what the YM says to do. I also inform her whether we are going to walk, trot or canter. She understands and I am idle.

SadKen

Visit site
They are not allowed to talk because dressage was to prepare a war horse. Talking to your horse on miitary service would give away your position, as it gave away Russian positions in WW2, or in earlier pitched battles the canon might be so loud that the horse would not hear the human voice - they needed to sound trumpets.
I talk all the time to my share horse, explaining to her that she has to do things in a certain way because that is what the YM says to do. I also inform her whether we are going to walk, trot or canter. She understands and I am idle.
Yep I knew the origins, I just don’t think it’s a primary training focus these days, we have had 80 years to say ‘hey, y’know what, we just don’t need to worry about giving clues to enemy attackers any more, so it’s ok to talk to horses during a dressage test now’.

A good illustrator of the pace of change though. Snail’s pace.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I talk to my horses all the time BUT, I have known RS owners who have controlled their horses by voice at quite a distance. I suppose it would be possible for someone ringside to use voice aids to sideline the rider I used to know one RS owner who could control a group of at least 10 horses on their way back to their field from the yard by voice, she stood at the yard gate and watched them all turn into the field gate.