CDJ withdrawn from paris

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Should the horses have to be hooded with massive amounts of metal? Is there a reason they need all this gumf on their faces. It looked as bad as the pure sj in terms of faces hidden under all the gumf.

I'd remove all "extras" such as ear covers, hoods, massive bits, spurs

If you look at the 90s eventing the tack looks so basic, you generally had at most a Pelham or Dutch gag, flash noseband and martingale. No hoods, no ears, no mass of metal work

Let's go back to this "basic" kit. Why is all this extra stuff suddenly being used?

Orangina

Visit site
Hmm, I am not convinced by the 'remedial shoeing' argument. Some of the more progressive farriers out there are saying that no horse should be shod in an open heeled shoe so it isn't necessarily remedial. (Will add I have no insight into the reason Carl's horse is shod like this but just wanted to point this out)

palo1

Visit site
Hmm, I am not convinced by the 'remedial shoeing' argument. Some of the more progressive farriers out there are saying that no horse should be shod in an open heeled shoe so it isn't necessarily remedial. (Will add I have no insight into the reason Carl's horse is shod like this but just wanted to point this out)
That is fair enough and each horse needs foot care that works for them. Perhaps it would be tricky to standardize but some shoes are fairly clearly remedial in nature and perhaps a horse shouldn't be competing whilst those are required. This could stand alongside a clear veterinary record too.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Not my idea of progressive.

Janique

Visit site
I can understand why some people lose hope, yes there are some terrible things happening and people abusing horses
but somehow, i think that we shouldn't give up.

Some things are better than in the past, for example, when i started working with horses in 1984, they used to keep the riding school horses
in small stalls, tied up, they couldn't turn around... Just like cows. That was perfectly normal then,

Dentist didn't exist, if a horse was lame, it was put down, nobody talked about retirement in the field, a 25 years old horse was a rarity and so on.

You might be fed up and i can understand but personally, i want to believe than if everyone pull together things can change for the better !

Switzerland banning the whip in flat racing gives me hope, we also have a law now that state that every horse should get 3 hours turn out a week, not that
anyone check but that's a start.

People keep their older horses longer, caring for them better, in the past, they were just pts.

Every little change for the well being of the horse is worth it ! Never give up !

Orangehorse

Visit site
Reading through these threads it appears there's a lot wrong with dressage. Why not just ban it completely,and let the horse abusers move on to some other thing.

There seems to be things wrong with dressage as a competition. Dressage is for training and conditioning horses if done correctly described by one instructor I had lessons with as physiotherapy for the horse, to enable it to be nice to ride, and to have a long, sound life.
Or perhaps it should be yoga for the horse, to stretch and flex the joints and muscles which enable it to carry a rider easily.

As for which bit - its a nice idea, but what if you buy a horse that didn't have a good education or a good start and you are left with what is, not what you would like to have. Someone might look at a bit and say "awful bit" but the important thing is the hands on the reins and the reasons why that horse is wearing that particular bit. A horse can be pulled around and fight in a snaffle.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I gave up endurance when it became more commonplace for horses to receive a 'comfort drip' after a hard race...I think we should have learnt lessons about how ethical or not it is to do 'everything' in the name of competitive success.
This takes me back to my first year as a junior doctor - in the ‘olden days’ junior doctors used to give each other ‘comfort drips’ after a big night out … very good for a hangover - but you’d never get away with it now 🥸

Michen

Visit site
This takes me back to my first year as a junior doctor - in the ‘olden days’ junior doctors used to give each other ‘comfort drips’ after a big night out … very good for a hangover - but you’d never get away with it now 🥸

Don’t know about that, I got one delivered to my hotel room in Las Vegas a few weeks ago 🤣🤣🤣 never been so happy to see a bag and have an IV!

ETA clearly my understanding of what a comfort drip was is not what's being referred to here!

Last edited:

FieldOrnaments

Visit site
I think grackles are considered quite sympathetic but absolutely agree about a requirement to perform with simpler tack and to get shot of faddy additions unless there is a real consensus of that being in the horse's best interests. I sort of think too, that horses that are shod should only compete if they are not receiving remedial shoeing treatment...competing a horse at the top level with physical evidence of foot issues is discomforting and is likely to encourage poor decision making all the way down the levels; similarly, medical intervention should be monitored.

I gave up endurance when it became more commonplace for horses to receive a 'comfort drip' after a hard race...I think we should have learnt lessons about how ethical or not it is to do 'everything' in the name of competitive success.
What is a comfort drip please?

Jojo2go

Visit site
According to google is a massive dose of morphine, but I think in this case they seem to be referring to IV electrolytes, something I personally see no problem with if it helps a horse re-hydrate after a serous effort in hot weather.

palo1

Visit site
A comfort drip is IV fluids which are given as a preventive intervention for clinical exhaustion/ metabolic trouble : Not a veterinary emergency treatment but where it is considered 'helpful' for recovery. There was some discomfort and discussion about their use in endurance because as a practice, some people, including me, felt that their more widespread use enables horses to be pushed even further. They are used in eventing, but less so, I think...hope. Some people argue that they are a good thing as you are assisting recovery from potentially dangerous levels of exertion. I feel that we should not be pushing horses to the level of exertion where this is a consideration.
What is a comfort drip please?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The person who owns/bred the chestnut horse who was given a yellow card (Brazil?) is trolling every comment on the It's Time to Act page...he's coming across quite unhinged!
😳

He’s an HHOer…

Though he only posted on here to big up his stallions.

He’s now showing himself up. He was the one who selected and posted up the rollkur photos of his horse that got his rider the FEI yellow card in the first place, thinking they were a good representation of the pair 🙄.

Last edited:

Abacus

Visit site
The more I think about it the more I think a ban on flashes, grackles, any kind of alternative tack and the minimisation of bitting for every discipline could be a seriously interesting way to reimagine the sport.

Grackles have in fact been shown to be the most sympathetic nosebands, more so than even cavessons. Correctly fitted they do not hold the mouth shut, tongue in, or impact on the sensitive facial nerves. In principle I agree with simplification from where we are now, but grackles in particular are better for the horse.

8.​

A cavesson noseband fitted high up against the cheekbones puts pressure on arteries running directly under the end of cheekbone and causes reduced joint flexion compared to a correctly fitting noseband.​

9.​

The flash noseband had the highest pressures and the most detrimental effect on a horse’s movement. A flash strap that drags down the lower edge of the cavesson is the most antagonistic design we tested.​

10.​

Drop and grackle nosebands perform better in terms of pressure reduction and freedom of movement compared to any other conventional noseband we tested.​

eahotson

Visit site
Grackles have in fact been shown to be the most sympathetic nosebands, more so than even cavessons. Correctly fitted they do not hold the mouth shut, tongue in, or impact on the sensitive facial nerves. In principle I agree with simplification from where we are now, but grackles in particular are better for the horse.

8.​

A cavesson noseband fitted high up against the cheekbones puts pressure on arteries running directly under the end of cheekbone and causes reduced joint flexion compared to a correctly fitting noseband.​

9.​

The flash noseband had the highest pressures and the most detrimental effect on a horse’s movement. A flash strap that drags down the lower edge of the cavesson is the most antagonistic design we tested.​

10.​

Drop and grackle nosebands perform better in terms of pressure reduction and freedom of movement compared to any other conventional noseband we tested.​

Very interesting.

magicmoments

Visit site
Yup at unaff. I have seen some riders coming back each month and improving, people bringing out their young/inexperienced horses, riders coming back after falls etc. and it's been lovely to see. However also seen the same overweight riders, the same ones booting with spurs, and the lady who finished every test with the saddle halfway round the horse's side having booted it the whole way round. For that last one a judge did say something to the organiser and I know it's probably not my place as writer but I did add to this that I was finding it hard to see the same thing happening over and over (the judge wouldn't have known because a different judge each time but I had been writing for every event over multiple months).
Good for you.

Cloball

Visit site
Not sure how I feel about the IV on the one hand you are introducing the potential for infection etc. they are not without complications which I would have thought would want to be avoided on the other hand it can be very difficult to encourage horses to drink and adequate amount following exercise at the best of times I mean there's an idiom about it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A comfort drip is IV fluids which are given as a preventive intervention for clinical exhaustion/ metabolic trouble : Not a veterinary emergency treatment but where it is considered 'helpful' for recovery. There was some discomfort and discussion about their use in endurance because as a practice, some people, including me, felt that their more widespread use enables horses to be pushed even further. They are used in eventing, but less so, I think...hope. Some people argue that they are a good thing as you are assisting recovery from potentially dangerous levels of exertion. I feel that we should not be pushing horses to the level of exertion where this is a consideration.
Sorry wrong quote

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Carl’s horse is in composites of some type - not duplos. They are generally lighter than normal shoes, so train in normal (heavy/heavier) shoes then switch to lighter ones for the competition and reap the benefit. Bit like race horses switching to plates just before a race?
My farrier reckons these are getting used alot now and will eventually be more commonly used than regular shoes.

palo1

Visit site
Carl’s horse is in composites of some type - not duplos. They are generally lighter than normal shoes, so train in normal (heavy/heavier) shoes then switch to lighter ones for the competition and reap the benefit. Bit like race horses switching to plates just before a race?
Thanks for this. They looked, structurally like some form of remedial shoe: it could be interesting for there to be more debate and farrier/veterinary consensus on shoeing/foot care for horses competing, in the same way as medication is controlled. I know that might be very difficult but in the longer term it might also mean that less really soundness compromised horses would be competing at all levels. It is very difficult though, as the genie of veterinary and farriery intervention is out of the bottle and some things are definitely in the horses best interests anyway, so, if better, why not allow them to compete? I get that totally but I am not especially comfortable with the argument that 'talent' means that some horses get huge amounts of management to keep them going competitively. It's ok for Andy Murray but horses don't get a choice!

It feels, to me, some things like the comfort drips, for example just give us a bigger envelope in which to push horses - I am not sure that is the right thing. I think we should perhaps be asking for less, dialling down the demand but I accept its difficult in lots of ways.